test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3D Print Your Ships - Available Today!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
The time has come, Captains. Head to the Ship Tailor in game today to start 3D Printing your STO Ships!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10831004

Comments

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    $350 plus shipping... GamePrint is still not live on their site. Least not at 9am anyway.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    That sure is an expensive piece of shaped plastic.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    $350 + Shipping ... hmm ... I have to say that price is a bit steep. I didn't see anything mentioning the typical dimensions of the models. I might have to wait on this one.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    velqua wrote: »
    $350 + Shipping ... hmm ... I have to say that price is a bit steep. I didn't see anything mentioning the typical dimensions of the models. I might have to wait on this one.

The models are all 12" in length. :)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    350$ for 12" of plastic...i could understand if they were made out of solid gold, but PLASTIC? i don't bloody think so​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    no 12" for a model that is fully hand painted... it is ok. not great thou. would be nice if you could embed led lights into it. boarderline really. guess your paying for the painters time. could just get the cheap $200 version and paint it yourself.
  • alastorforthrighalastorforthrigh Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    200 dollars for a base primer model is too much too. Even with good materials the cost of 3D printing and materials has dropped significantly. Depending on the ship you'd be getting printed you're looking at a 2 to 10 times markup on cost. They're basically pricegating a lot of people out of this, not realizing that offering less expensive options would result in more sales and higher profits overall.
    2qTOAB3.gif
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    350$ for 12" of plastic...i could understand if they were made out of solid gold, but PLASTIC? i don't bloody think so​​

Let's not exaggerate please. For some perspective: Gold is currently running at $1,359.30 per ounce.
  • northerninuitnortherninuit Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Is 3d printing available for NPC ships too?
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    You're not paying that much for the plastic. You're paying for the man hours that go into producing it.
    $150 to get it painted because you don't have the time, equipment or skills, I'd call that fair.

I do wish there was a 6" or 8" option though.

What's this introductory pricing discount thing mentioned? Link just goes to their website with no mention of such things.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    why do you have to hurt me cryptic, at 350$ I'ld be lucky to get it at tax time and I would not be able to get anything else. and before anyone says you can get the cheap one, thats not cheap, and I'm a produce clerk not a painter.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    There is a small selection of ships that will not be offered as 3D Prints. Those ships are:
    • Vesta-class Multi-Mission Surveillance Explorer
    In addition, the following starship parts are not available to print:
    • Starfleet Multi-Mission Science Vessels

Too bad, I would've found that 350$ to get my Buteo Regalis custom-made. Anything else (including regular Vesta model), I could get from Eaglemoss for a fraction of that price, should I ever want them.
  • armasticearmastice Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    lights?

• stlheestlhee Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Uhm, higly disappointed. 350$ + shipping + 42% taxes for a ship? Unfortunately its more than I get monthly. :(
    No thanks. Maybe if there smaller versions with 1/10 prices. Good luck to lucky ones.
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Point of note: These are NOT plastic models. They are apparently 3D printed resin.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Too rich for me. Couldn't you have asked Eaglemoss to do a STO 'Edition' ? or 'Wave'?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • notgraynotgray Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    $350 base price? Damn you... My wallet is gonna hate us BOTH for this, come payday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA1mbZ_MMh8
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Very cool but... Holy bejeezus! $350. Makes those larger Art Asylum ones for $60 seem a steal! And they have lights/sounds! :D I was interested in an Oddy till I saw the price. :( Now if you want to crank out a big batch of 1701Fs for 1/2 the cost, I might be interested in that.

I could get ~49,000 Zen for that; if so inclined to blow $350

Blizzard was doing custom painted WoW characters (in a type of foam I think, not hard resin) for a lot less way back in 2008; if I remember right.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Although a bit pricey, the Vesta Class isn't available. That pretty much scrapped the one ship I wanted more than any other. I might shell out at some point for my Romulan Ambassador but the lack of the Vesta pieces being available is a massive disappointment for me.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I luv how you have to wait for 99 other people to order that ship for the process to even begin with this premium pricing.

Did Mixed Dimensions &/or Cryptic forget this is Star Trek Online not Star Citizen?

I'm sure a nice product but not worth that price imo.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    i'd say it's fairly obvious why the vesta isn't available - they don't have permission to use it

remember, the design is owned by mark rademaker, not CBS or cryptic, so MD would have to go to him to get permission for it to be included as a printable option - and cryptic would probably need to modify their original contract with him too​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    i'd say it's fairly obvious why the vesta isn't available - they don't have permission to use it

remember, the design is owned by mark rademaker, not CBS or cryptic, so MD would have to go to him to get permission for it to be included as a printable option - and cryptic would probably need to modify their original contract with him too​​
    That, plus I'm sure the deflector makes it difficult to print and paint. I'm pretty disappointed that the Brigid hull isn't available as an option. I suspect it's because of the ship's secondary deflector. Still, my main Fed flies a Brigid and that's what I really wanted to get printed. I guess I could go with another ship, but nothing else would really feel right.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    lnblade wrote: »

That, plus I'm sure the deflector makes it difficult to print and paint. I'm pretty disappointed that the Brigid hull isn't available as an option. I suspect it's because of the ship's secondary deflector. Still, my main Fed flies a Brigid and that's what I really wanted to get printed. I guess I could go with another ship, but nothing else would really feel right.

At that price point, there are two things you probably don't want to do, unless you're rich:

- Buy a standard ship design for which you could probably get a model kit or an Eaglemoss model or something like that.
    - Buy a model for a ship you only kinda like.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • seraphima84seraphima84 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    OH MY GOD.....-_- $350 is 1,196 of My national currency...my MONTHLY salary is 1,600 so....LOOOL Very sad joke...:(
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    Aaaaaaaaaannnd...
    There is a small selection of ships that will not be offered as 3D Prints.
    [...]
    Herald Baltim Raider
    [...]

The main ship I wanted to get. Le extreme sad. I was expecting it with the floating parts, but still.
    Crossfield-class Science Vanguard
    Walker-class Light Exploration Cruiser
    Now, I'm curious about these two, considering they're not among the most complex ship models, especially the Walker-class. Is it to avoid competition with the Official Eaglemoss Discovery series of models that started recently?

Also:
    Delta-class Shuttle
    Same as above, just why? That's among the simplest models.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    We're also having an AMA tomorrow at 10am PT with Cryptic and Mixed Dimensions. Check it out here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1238772/3d-ship-printing-ama-3-16-18-10am-pt
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User

Not surprising, but did they actually ask for permission? PWE tends to take the lazy way when it comes to doing things. I follow his Twitter and such and am a big fan of his work. Although I can't speak for him. I think PWE should at least approach him to see if he would be willing to permit his ship to be printed for those of us that are fans of his work.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    350 I can understand with hand painting; I'd love to see a few more finished to get an idea of what Klingon and Romulan ones look like, though I would love more to see them if I had that kind of currency lying around....

(It's just a LOT of disposable income)
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Hmm ... so when I get some extra cash I have to choose between ordering a 12" model of my ship that will just sit on a shelf, or getting a Nintendo Switch that me and my kids will be able to play together ... as a gamer, that choose is easy, sorry Cryptic. Was afraid the price was going to be high.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.