test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Exotic visuals ruin "Star Trek" aesthetic

i'd like to see some of the visual effects addressed so that they are less thematically jarring, most specifically the gravity well.

why is it big and pink? can't we make it look like the gravity kills black hole in 2018?

i'm not saying remove exotic damage skills, but can we make them more ethereal?

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Exotic damage abilities are fine in my opinion, but all the glitter and glow of passive effects and resistance abilities that clutter your ship during a battle are obnoxious. Those should be toggle able as they do not transpire any information whatsoever as they are so many.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • avnas#3702 avnas Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Exotic damage abilities are fine in my opinion, but all the glitter and glow of passive effects and resistance abilities that clutter your ship during a battle are obnoxious. Those should be toggle able as they do not transpire any information whatsoever as they are so many.​​

i think honored dead is a new one that a lot of people are annoyed by. makes your ship go green for some reason.
  • chasequinnellchasequinnell Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    The ability to toggle some of the effects in this game would be very welcome. Even if you turn off the UI the effects are still there. Can't take good battle screenshots with these effects cluttering the screen.
    ussredeemer02_sig.png
  • soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    avnas#3702 wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »

i think honored dead is a new one that a lot of people are annoyed by. makes your ship go green for some reason.

Spectral energy? Just a thought.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    The ability to toggle some of the effects in this game would be very welcome. Even if you turn off the UI the effects are still there. Can't take good battle screenshots with these effects cluttering the screen.

Agreed. I would like every effect in the game assigned a boolean variable: 'Would you see this in a movie or in a series? Y/N'
    Then we should have a graphics option in settings added: 'Display cartoon effects; Yes/No'

All the glowey TRIBBLE, and weird icons could be toggled on and off nice and easily. While we are at it, lets have some alternate textures for holograms as well.

The only time a hologram should flicker is if its under fire or otherwise malfunctioning. And whats with all the transparent plastic looking holo effects on costumes and instead of banners etc? that tacky rubbish all needs to go under the cartoon setting too.
  • avnas#3702 avnas Member Posts: 51 Arc User

Agreed. I would like every effect in the game assigned a boolean variable: 'Would you see this in a movie or in a series? Y/N'
    Then we should have a graphics option in settings added: 'Display cartoon effects; Yes/No'

All the glowey ****, and weird icons could be toggled on and off nice and easily. While we are at it, lets have some alternate textures for holograms as well.

The only time a hologram should flicker is if its under fire or otherwise malfunctioning. And whats with all the transparent plastic looking holo effects on costumes and instead of banners etc? that tacky rubbish all needs to go under the cartoon setting too.

problem is that they'd pretty much have to redo every ability for "realistic" mode so you actually can see something representing the ability.

also they should add an epilepsy warning to destablising resonance beam.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    avnas#3702 wrote: »
    problem is that they'd pretty much have to redo every ability for "realistic" mode so you actually can see something representing the ability.

We have buff icons. I am good with those. I don't really need to see an effect for every ability. I would prefer the effects just not display. I will still be able to see my beams/cannons firing and I will see the ships explode. That's all I need.