test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Do You Think? The Discovery Lock Box

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    TOS classic phasers are simply not meant to be fired as much as we fire weapons in this game. I try to use one classic phaser and DSC ones as the rest as I figure the one main gun is the advanced TOS phaser but they haven't removed all the small, retractable short range turrets ☺
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I really like using E-L phasers on TOS ships that in my headcanon predate the Connie. A shame Alec Peters chose a canine lover as I really liked the Axanar plot and world building. They also used blue turrets as weapons predating TOS phasers, nowbthose are even canon. Too bad nothing in DSC really fits into the rest. I get it's a retcon I don't need that explained, but it's dumb xD
    I've put some on my AoY tac's Utility Cruiser, and they work really nicely :sunglasses:

Yeah - I equipped a set on my Atlas class, and I love it. Hate to say it, but not a huge fan of the TOS phaser sound-effect, but I don't mind the sound effect that the Discovery weapons make and they look awesome!
    Ooooh, I bet that's nice :tongue: My AOY tac has a full set of the TOS phaser beams on his Excelsior Refit, and I agree, I'm not a fan of the sound either, but I do love how all those blue beams look :tongue: I absolutely love the sound four E-L dual cannons and Three E-L turrets make under Rapid Fire :tongue::tongue: An Atlas is definitely in the cards for one of my characters at some point :lol::lol:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    TOS classic phasers are simply not meant to be fired as much as we fire weapons in this game. I try to use one classic phaser and DSC ones as the rest as I figure the one main gun is the advanced TOS phaser but they haven't removed all the small, retractable short range turrets ☺
    My new AoY eng, I wanted to put E-L phasers on her Connie (first time I've actually used the Connie in that era <3 ) so I drained all the scrap EC alts had to scratch up enough to buy a set, mailed them over, then realized I can't take them whilst in the 23rd Century, due to no ground-based mail consoles :confounded: I tried inviting her to a fleet map, in the hopes that might have been a workround, but no invitation came through, so I guess no E-L for her till she changes time... :lol:

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    My new AoY eng, I wanted to put E-L phasers on her Connie (first time I've actually used the Connie in that era <3 ) so I drained all the scrap EC alts had to scratch up enough to buy a set, mailed them over, then realized I can't take them whilst in the 23rd Century, due to no ground-based mail consoles :confounded: I tried inviting her to a fleet map, in the hopes that might have been a workround, but no invitation came through, so I guess no E-L for her till she changes time... :lol:
    Try account bank on your ship bridge.

EDIT: Words for the word throne!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

You need the Account Bank, as mark said, to transfer items to a AOY character. But it definitely works, I have a AOY still in the 23c with E-L phasers on a Pioneer. I wanted to level that chracter in the 23c but had to discover she can't open DOFF packs so levling is only possible via three episode replays, one replay nets 1000xp - I had to run those three missions hundreds of times...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Try account bank on your ship bridge.

EDIT: Words for the word throne!

You need the Account Bank, as mark said, to transfer items to a AOY character. But it definitely works, I have a AOY still in the 23c with E-L phasers on a Pioneer. I wanted to level that chracter in the 23c but had to discover she can't open DOFF packs so levling is only possible via three episode replays, one replay nets 1000xp - I had to run those three missions hundreds of times...​​
    Ahhhh, thanks for the tip :sunglasses: I'd been considering the account bank unlock, but doing that, that would definitely make it worth doing :sunglasses:

• zepharynthezepharynthe Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    I'll put it this way. I have opened 50 boxes and gotten trash. Common quality consummables that can only be used if you happen to get the super-rare ship they correspont to? I've opened my last box in this game. CBS thinks they can charge people just to watch a series and throw trash like this into the game and they're going to keep any kind of audience?

Never again.
    Hate to tell you CBS but P.T. Barnum you aint.
    I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. Thomas Jefferson (et al)
  • gjohnny1990gjohnny1990 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    The discovery box is downright awful...

I've opened a few dozen and got almost entirely complete trash and that "mini tech" consumable is even worse than bonus pools, infinity boxes are by far and long the better place to spend keys on, at least with those the T5 ships and space traits seem to pop for me often, hell at least I generally get weapons/R&D packs at worst, with the Discovery box it's nearly always some worthless kit or consumable with the odd weapon box if i'm lucky...
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    For the record guys, unless you're lucky it's often best just to sell keys on the Exchange and outright buy whatever you want with energy credits. I've only ever won one ship through lootboxes, the good old Bug attack ship back in the day... since then... nothing.

Walkers are going for about 220 million at the moment, that's about 40 keys I think. Crossfields are going at 420 million, aproximately 90 keys. I've made five million in just two days of playing across my toons. It's not hard to get money now, there are so many ways to play and farm across multiple characters. Take your time, be patient.

The Discovery themed ships are quite nice, I particularly love the model for the Crossfire. A lot of little details which many people would overlook, the bridge interior visible from the exterior model... the little walkways between the inner and outer saucer sections. Great job to you chaps (and ladies) in the graphics department.

I would say though, I was sorely disappointed that there's no bridge attached to either of these vessels. They may be considered a minor gameplay element for many. However, given the amount of resources (credits) or straight up cash it takes to obtain these ships I think a bridge is the very least Cryptic can deliver here. I like to RP at times with friends, and the bridges provide a great setting for that. The "Into Darkness" Dreadnought bridge is my favourite out of all of them. I hope you reconsider in the future about this.

As for the rest of the box contents... why no other ground weapons? When I got the "JJprise" for my AoY character I was able to get pistols and rifles... however this time all we get is a rifle... for lobi? Come on Cryptic, you can do better than that. The space weapons are great, look and sound amazing. Would be good to see more equipment available for those of us who would like to base a character around the Discovery era.

For all the haters out there, loot boxes are here to stay... whether you like it or not. A few of you stubbornly abstaining from the system are vastly outnumbered by the people who DO use them. There's a reason why they're in most titles these days. Instead of showing your blind hate for them, be more objective and critique the actual contents as opposed to the system... which unless Cryptics revenue falls off a cliff isn't going to change any time soon.

Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    I opened a handful of them as is my tradition each time there's a new lockbox. (Talking about four or five keys here, usually from my stipend.)

I haven't watched Discovery so the contents didn't mean much to me. Mostly just trash except for the R&S boxes, lobi and Dil Mining claims. Still, those usually make it worth the effort.
  • silk121silk121 Member Posts: 15 Arc User

put them in your account bank then go into your ships interior you can transfer stuff that way
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    Mini-tech is the worst item what you can get from lockbox. Ship device what can only be used ONCE. I realy don't pay for it , who he thought this is good would deserve to kick his TRIBBLE.
  • drahga007drahga007 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I'm done with Lock boxes, dropped way to much cash for trash. Also, the Mudd costume was a load of nothing, thanks for a jacket. I expected boots, pants, shirt, maybe some other dressing, but no.
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    I was disappointed I got a ton of kit modules that ended up character bound so I couldn't sell them. The crossfield herself is really nice, having a lot of fun with her. Haven't gotten enough yet for the walker. The crossfield phasers are nice, I have most of a set, excepting the elusive omni, and really like them, just not sure if I want those or to keep using the pulse ones. And oddly no phaser pistol.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    > @where2r1 said:
    > I got "a friend" that talks all the time about those lockbox ships and gear he buys in the Exchange for EC (the in game currency). And I have fetched a few lockbox traits, and consoles, myself. So, not like they are unavailable for those who don't want to pay with real life money.
    >
    > I occasionally partake in buying key bundles with real cash....when they are on sale...being realistic about my budget, and all. It is kinda fun to see what gets revealed when opening Lockboxes. :) Plenty of Lobi stuff to play with on my BoP. And there is always the Klingon Bling outfit. :)
    >
    > Could care less about those fancy ships in there....seriously, does anyone need more than a BoP? :::giggles::: :)

Yes. Yes they do. For aesthetics, at least .
    > @blitzy4 said:
    > I was disappointed I got a ton of kit modules that ended up character bound so I couldn't sell them. The crossfield herself is really nice, having a lot of fun with her. Haven't gotten enough yet for the walker. The crossfield phasers are nice, I have most of a set, excepting the elusive omni, and really like them, just not sure if I want those or to keep using the pulse ones. And oddly no phaser pistol.

There's a pistol?
  • chalummcinnes#2930 chalummcinnes Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Will we be able to purchase Discovery with Lobi crystals or is it just a case of RNG with opening boxes?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    @chalummcinnes#2930
    Discovery herself is a box ship, but can be bought off the exchange.
    Its the Shenzhou that is lobi.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    There's a pistol?

That was my point, they had a variation of the normal TOS phaser, I would have liked having, but I'm guessing it wasn't really different enough to release.

jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

P626_1.jpg
    Functions a bit like the Kelvin pistol in game. Which honestly I wouldn't mind if they reused the Kelvin functionality for the Discovery pistol. Its a nice design.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Well... the pistol combines elements from the TOS phaser and the Cage laser pistol.
    1db4_star_trek_phaser_remote_replica.jpg
    Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-Cage-Laser-Pistol-1.jpg
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Next time with the Phoenix box include the T6 TOS ships... Outside of the upgrade token there is nothing there I don't already have or want.
  • flavory#1959 flavory Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I got 3 keys from a first time buyer pack. opened 3 discovery boxes. 3rd one i got the discovery science vessel. Turns out its better than my temporal battle cruiser. So im hyped.
  • evilag3ntman#4674 evilag3ntman Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    > @"flavory#1959" said:
    > I got 3 keys from a first time buyer pack. opened 3 discovery boxes. 3rd one i got the discovery science vessel. Turns out its better than my temporal battle cruiser. So im hyped.

this is the problem with games like this...the hey if he can i can mentality...
    all it takes is one guy posting that,and everyone thinks they have a Shot at winning the ship...
    ( brw Congrats on being so lucky lol flavory )
    the reality is,as a complete newbie along w my friend,we have blown a lot of cash money,ec,and zen already,
    into absolute Garbage on the exchange,and the store,as well as these nerfed lockboxes.
    the drop rates for winners is Redonkulous to say the least,and the other contents are garbage.
    seriously?? you made us pay Money for this stuff ??
    gotta tell you,its not the smartest way to keep new players around..js.

we had already suspected that the winners broadcasts were fakes,
    thank you to the Pros who posted earlier in this thread.
    thats pretty shady too.

now,i dont mind spending cash,actual money to get what i want.
    i work,a lot,and dont Have grind time,i envy those of you who can,
    but this lockbox exclusive ship stuff is nonsense.

please just Put it up for Sale in the Store,not the rip-them-off exchange either.
    ( really,500 million for a jemhadar?..Narf! )

whats the actual drop rate, .004 percent?? for that Discovery?
    we arent gonna waste keys or time on that fantasy,thanks.
    if you want our money,then { Make it So,Number One "( in Picards voice )
    i think youd " Discover " that your sales would go thru the roof

also,new lockbox release should be accompanied thruout by reduced price key sales.
    just a random thought of logic there,after getting nerfed out of my 20 key box thanks.

and the exchange...now,if only..i could Beg the Pros on the ps4 to Advise us ignorant newbies in chat,
    before many many more like us spend all their resources on junk.
    i see new people every day on chat beggin for help and i dont know what to say.
    and yes,we look up stuff on sto reddit,but as it turns out,most info is dated and new stuff is better...
    which stuff where stuff how stuff...argh.

this is a tough game to jump into,and i do appreciate any help and reading your posts helps a lot as well.
    o and heres a laugh for the Pros,so far weve " advanced " lol to the voth fleet carrier,t5 no less,
    after the Arbiter t6 turned out to be..a bit...Small...funny how big it looked in the pics...
    bit of a long read,hope someone got a laugh or two,cheers.
  • miglrah#1780 miglrah Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have spent 125 keys to get everything but the ship itself. That is an absolutely ludicrous sum to spend on essentially one ship DLC, and I submitted feedback that drop rates should reflect a more realistic spend, and wasn’t met with much understanding at all. I get “caveat emptor” and all of that, but let’s be honest here - $130 for no Discovery and not enough Lobi for the Shenzou is outrageous. Especially as I’m subsidizing it for everyone else that got one quickly.
  • evilag3ntman#4674 evilag3ntman Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    pretty sure 100 keys sold in the exchange will buy you a discovery/crossfield on that same exchange.
    on the ps4 version,prices dropped on all the other stuff,
    so around 325 mill to 1billion 5 depending on which person you buy it off.

also,cant tell you how thrilled i am at all the help" we got ingame,and on posts...NOT.
    theres Barely any people that help on ps4,And the zone chatters tell lies to the newbs.
    Expensive lies.
    what a Great social community.....
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    On PC I'm starting to see Crossfield at about 400 million. The Sarcophagus is still hovering around 450, guess they don't sell as well though the trait is a big draw.

Once added to the Infinity in a few months time they'll be the same as everything else, 250 to 300 million.

That and the infinity promo R&D boxes are running so everybody is buying those instead of keys.
  • dthrevandthrevan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Hope this governement regulation passes on lockboxes, this game is worse than EA's Battlefront 2 with it's pay 2 win model.
    Post edited by dthrevan on