test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Discovery Lockbox 2018

Comments

• spacecatz#6038 spacecatz Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    ironmako wrote: »
    But since they are going to command ridiculous prices on the exchange which will put it out of reach of the kiddies, it will make the millenials cry even more. So that makes me smile :)
    Generalizing a generation is the most ignorant thing anyone could do.

• bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    NEED DISCO BADLY!
    Send monies pls...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 282 Arc User
    I don't care much for Discovery, especially the redesign of the Klingons and the look of their new ships. However, I do fancy the Klingon uniforms in the show: They'd look great on my Kar'fi captain.

Was kinda sad to see that they weren't in the Lobi store, but maybe they'll be added to the Zen Store?
    @MGoblin256

"[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    The gear interests me. The ships are WAY down the queue in ships I'd hoard EC for though.
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... word on the grapevine is that we will see TOS like Klingons in the future.

Let's hope so.

Just as soon as they stock up on brownface and Fu Manchu fake facial hair ? :)

• redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    "Up until now"? As you said, it predates any other Klingon ship in the game.
    I guess I should clarify this some.

If Klingon corpses are so good at stopping starship weapons, why are we not seeing more widespread use of "body armor"? Why is it only one ship takes advantage of these "shells"? Also, if Klingon bodies can stop starship weapon's fire, how can side arms harm them? Wouldn't you need some sort of Boolean cannon thing just to slow them down?
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    The ships are only Lobi and Lockbox? *sniggers* :D

The only thing on TRIBBLE that is on nodding terms is the name in the title and the door mechanisms. This botty-water should not even exist, not even in this game. But since they are going to command ridiculous prices on the exchange which will put it out of reach of the kiddies, it will make the millenials cry even more. So that makes me smile :)

Oh look, another one of these Trek weirdo's that thinks he gets to decide what is or isn't Star Trek, and then gets all worked up about it.

Get a life, f*#k off mate.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    But since they are going to command ridiculous prices on the exchange which will put it out of reach of the kiddies, it will make the millenials cry even more. So that makes me smile :)

So is trying to pass off TRIBBLE as canon Trek.

Yet, it is canon Trek, and many people enjoy it.

" Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    Look, you all can discuss and debate the merits of Star Trek: Discovery all you want, but civil discourse is the key. Personal attacks and insults, and offensive language, including manipulation of characters to circumvent the forum profantiy filter, will not be tolerated.

jrAoIir.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • talasivaritalasivari Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... word on the grapevine is that we will see TOS like Klingons in the future.

That is pretty cool and I would play more often if it happens.

Urtlolev of the Andorian Imperial Fleet
    I don't care for Discovery at all. However it's new Star Trek, so some people will hang onto it like it's their first born child. As for my stance, it's just something I won't watch or discuss at length. Like it or not, it exists and if CBS and Cryptic decide more of it should be in STO then that's what will happen.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Of course its canon. Because CBS says so. But the real star trek fans, think the opposite.

So because my vast knowledge and understanding of Star Trek content and themes (which I have put into practice for any to see) doesn't reject Discovery (and indeed embraces it as a powerful iteration of the format) I'm somehow not a real fan? This is a pretty egregious logical fallacy (the "if you don't agree with me you don't count" school of enumeration) and I'll point to Badmoon's post just north of this one (page 2) that attacks on your fellow community members are no way to hold a civil discussion (or for your point to have any appearance of having merit, as the logical fallacy employed overshadows whatever legitimate emotional reactions you may have had to DSC. Focus on those, speaking from your own point of view, rather than making sweeping claims that you have no way of supporting besides "because I say so.")
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    caldannach wrote: »

So is trying to pass off TRIBBLE as canon Trek.

Yet, it is canon Trek, and many people enjoy it.

Of course its canon. Because CBS says so. But the real star trek fans, think the opposite. And they are the only ones who actually have the knowledge and experience to actually understand why a show isnt about star trek. And Discover isnt about star trek, not in a million years. There are so many off things that is ridiculous even to think on it. CBS can say whatever they want lol, but people who actually like star trek will never even consider TRIBBLE as part of the franchise. The franchise, sadly ended with Enterprise and the movie Nemesis. Unfortunately. Everything that came after... just garbaje. As much canon as CBS want to be.

No True Scotsman would disagree with you!

TOS is the only real Trek! ;)
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I am a ToS fan since ToS was all there was too. I haven't seen Discovery because I don't have CBS All Access. So I can't comment on it. I have noticed there are those who love it, like it and hate it. Just like every other show in the franchise. Which tells me it probably isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

One day I'll find a way to watch it and judge for myself.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Every so often, someone wonders 'why don't you put these ships in the store, so folks can buy them outright?' One possible answer is because there's more money to made by leaving people no options other than to either partake in what can be argued to be gambling, or just being very patient and saving up resources ingame. It occurs to me that there might be a compromise approach, as exhibited by how boxes are implemented in Path of Exile. Specifically, two behaviors on display in this forum thread:

• the odds of getting an item of a given rarity are clearly disclosed (presumably, once rarity is 'rolled', you're equally likely to get any of the items of that rarity) - I can think of no good excuse for such disclosures not being a norm; and
    • some time after the box leaves the market, its contents drop into the store and can be purchased directly.
    echatty wrote: »
    I am a ToS fan since ToS was all there was too. I haven't seen Discovery because I don't have CBS All Access. So I can't comment on it. I have noticed there are those who love it, like it and hate it. Just like every other show in the franchise. Which tells me it probably isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

One day I'll find a way to watch it and judge for myself.

It's on Netflix if you can do Netflix. Or at least it was last time I bothered with netflix a few months back, it was UK Netflix though.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    tremere12 wrote: »
    Hell yeah. I don't care that much for the show, but those klingon ships rock the hell out of most of those disgustingly ugly old models. I wonder when we'll get the actual new klingon ground appearance options as well.
    The Sarcophagus predates all other Klingon ships in the game. What are you talking about?

Wrong. STO has this ship:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Raptor_class

And ENT comes before Discovery in the timeline.

Enterprise predates Discovery, but the ships do not...the Sarcophagus ship is supposed to be a very, very ancient ship...possibly not even Klingon at all.
    Now, it all depends on what they meant by "ancient" when they decribed the ship as ancient in the show. But it is quite obvious that you don't call something ancient that is maybe 120 years old, but rather something that is 1000 years old?
    Go pro or go home
    Nope, don't have Netflix either. Can't get anything extra like that due to not having extra funds. Still, not going to worry too much. But thank you.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    That's good to know. Still, not wanting to see it that badly. But thanks for the information.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    My daughter calls me ancient...

I am 45.

My daughter says Heavy Metal is old people’s music...

I still listen to it!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
    You mean we're not allowed to be Trek fans if we like Discovery? Who made you the arbiter of who can and can't be Trek fans?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Every so often, someone wonders 'why don't you put these ships in the store, so folks can buy them outright?' One possible answer is because there's more money to made by leaving people no options other than to either partake in what can be argued to be gambling, or just being very patient and saving up resources ingame. It occurs to me that there might be a compromise approach, as exhibited by how boxes are implemented in Path of Exile. Specifically, two behaviors on display in this forum thread:

• the odds of getting an item of a given rarity are clearly disclosed (presumably, once rarity is 'rolled', you're equally likely to get any of the items of that rarity) - I can think of no good excuse for such disclosures not being a norm; and
    • some time after the box leaves the market, its contents drop into the store and can be purchased directly.

PWE/Cryptic makes a lot of money from Infinity Lock Box and Infinity R&D Pack sales, so it's never going to happen.

Lock boxes and R&D packs pay for LeVar Burton, new story episodes, and free event ships. F2P MMO players have mostly rejected buying monthly subs and content packs, so this is necessary.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    redvenge wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    "Up until now"? As you said, it predates any other Klingon ship in the game.
    I guess I should clarify this some.

If Klingon corpses are so good at stopping starship weapons, why are we not seeing more widespread use of "body armor"? Why is it only one ship takes advantage of these "shells"? Also, if Klingon bodies can stop starship weapon's fire, how can side arms harm them? Wouldn't you need some sort of Boolean cannon thing just to slow them down?
    It probably isn't that great. Which is why later ships didn't use it. With a ship design as old as that, though, you probably need every edge you can get, up to and including using the bodies of the dead as low-grade ablative armor. (It's similar to the "hillbilly armor" US Army soldiers put on HMMWVs in the opening months of the Iraq conflict, before up-armored models became available. When you don't have armor that's effective against enemy weapons, you add whatever you have that can help, even empty water cans.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png