test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"They Came From Below"

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
A peaceful planet meets their gods, and witnesses the next stage of the mystery at the heart of the Tzenkethi War, in our latest fiction blog!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10772134

Comments

• nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Okay, I'm intrigued & I hope this mission is good given this nice introduction.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I am intrigued as well.

Several questions come to mind.
    • Where is this planet?
    • Whose ships are those? (As they are clearly not native)
    • What does this mean for the Galaxy?
    • How old is this new race? (Implied OLD due to the fact their ships were buried THAT deep into the planet.)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Curiouser
    giphy.gif
    Post edited by zedbrightlander1 on
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Wow. Interesting indeed. Waiting now to see what comes with the FE.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Ah, so many comments I could make as an atheist but I think the story speaks for itself
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Reminds me of the Guardian awakenings in Halo.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    I was just thinking after a re-read that the title - They Came from Below - and the elements of the story could ironically lead to a second tale with the title - They Came from Above - where the same ships would now be landing on another world, perhaps, even with an similarly developed society.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    Ah, so many comments I could make as an atheist but I think the story speaks for itself

I was going to nominate Ortacon for a Darwin award.

[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    As for the story:

I wonder if this is at all related to new content we'll see in-game. I'm still waiting for the Uuli to show up...

It wouldn't surprise me that, if this is related to the new episode, we'll find out that the Drantzuuli are a space-faring species. It would explain how these crystals can appear at so many different worlds.

Or maybe they're simply the pets of a super advanced ancient species who got bored because their pets had died - and decided to wait underneath the surface of this planet until the next birth cycle of their new pets a few million years later.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    *reads blog, mind starts speculating*

Hmmm...

I will say that this planet is located in the Gamma Quadrant and those ships belong to the Hur'q.

We need a common enemy to fight along side with the Dominion for the new expansion coming out this summer. I'm sure there will be some tension and probably even a bit of fighting between the Alliance and the Dominion initially, but once the main baddies show up and state their intentions, it'll be all "We can help each other fight this common foe. Join with us and they don't stand a chance."

Or I could be completely wrong. Only time will tell.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    Go get 'em, Herc. Go get 'em.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWwkaqBHHUQ
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    What is this??? i don't understand any of the story in this blog, less so being even more confused by this religious stuff.
    burstorion wrote: »

Some i know consider me that tag you named, but i don't even consider myself even that as it is a religious tag which i want nothing to do with. People are free to choose what they like to do or follow as i choose not to accept anything of the sort as a personal preference but it doesn't mean i will throw it in their faces.

i'm not going to start anything over it either. It would of been better to stay away from such a subject altogether, especially with star trek.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    So T'Ket and the Hur'Q will be in the GQ?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited January 2018
    thay8472 wrote: »

i'm almost certainly expecting it and have been for half a year or so. Just how powerful they will be, at the time i was thinking that the dominion are pushed out of the GQ altogether, nothing but a caravan of ships, equipment, founders and troops, all of which head for the quarantined planet in cardassian space as they warn the alliance to blockade the node due to T'Ket and her Hur'q allies. at some point they try to break through but the iconians come out of hiding to give a warning that T'Ket is more vengeful but she also has other biological weapons besides blue gills and these critters if she choose to activate them.

the Dominion rebuild with Cardassian assistance as the treaty of Bajor is ammended to allow for the new alliance, so long as they report to the Federation and Klingon factions on all their activities.
    What is this??? i don't understand any of the story in this blog, less so being even more confused by this religious stuff.
    I'm not sure whats not to get?
    >Race worships the crystals as gods
    >Race builds temples around said crystals
    >Race holds religious meetings around the crystals
    >Crystals begin hatching one day causing mass earthquakes
    >Ground opens up and spaceships come out of where the crystal were, killing many
    >Race thinks the gods are going back to where they came

what do i care to answer your questions, you made it abundantly clear you want to stir the pot. so don't care what you want.
    I'm not sure about the crystals causing earthquakes. But the earthquakes are clearly being caused by the ships themselves reactivating and burrowing through the ground in order to launch.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • raqueljonesraqueljones Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Reminded of a story i wrote fifteen years ago how strange....
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    Oh boy. Religious ceremony and Star Trek combined? Get ready to reap the shitstorm.

In all seriousness though, this is pretty intriguing. Wondering who what when where - all that good stuff.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
    Oh boy. Religious ceremony and Star Trek combined? Get ready to reap the shitstorm.

The Bajorans would like to have a word with you. As would the Ferengi... after they pay a slip of latinum of course.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    If it is the Hurq, I hope they have nothing to do with the Iconians.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Are these egg/chrysalis crystals are offspring of the buried aliens seeded across that part of the Alpha Quadrant or are they Harbringers of the aliens, meant to scare and soften up any opposition for the hibernating conquerors?
    Are these egg/chrysalis crystals are offspring of the buried aliens seeded across that part of the Alpha Quadrant or are they Harbringers of the aliens, meant to scare and soften up any opposition for the hibernating conquerors?

could be biological weapons the Iconian servitors built a long time ago and seeded on these worlds for the reason you mentioned, as a vanguard for a larger conflict, fodder to misdirect.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @iamynaught said:
    > *reads blog, mind starts speculating*
    >
    > Hmmm...
    >
    > I will say that this planet is located in the Gamma Quadrant and those ships belong to the Hur'q.
    >
    > We need a common enemy to fight along side with the Dominion for the new expansion coming out this summer. I'm sure there will be some tension and probably even a bit of fighting between the Alliance and the Dominion initially, but once the main baddies show up and state their intentions, it'll be all "We can help each other fight this common foe. Join with us and they don't stand a chance."
    >
    > Or I could be completely wrong. Only time will tell.

That absolutely could be, it makes sense.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »

i'm almost certainly expecting it and have been for half a year or so. Just how powerful they will be, at the time i was thinking that the dominion are pushed out of the GQ altogether, nothing but a caravan of ships, equipment, founders and troops, all of which head for the quarantined planet in cardassian space as they warn the alliance to blockade the node due to T'Ket and her Hur'q allies. at some point they try to break through but the iconians come out of hiding to give a warning that T'Ket is more vengeful but she also has other biological weapons besides blue gills and these critters if she choose to activate them.

the Dominion rebuild with Cardassian assistance as the treaty of Bajor is ammended to allow for the new alliance, so long as they report to the Federation and Klingon factions on all their activities.

I doubt they would effectively destroy the Dominion for a story....but you could well be on to something. The big bads could attack the Dominion, and prove to be more than they can handle, forcing them to approach the Alliance and cash in the favor they are owed for their desperately needed assistance in the Iconian War. I doubt the Feds, especially, could refuse. Plan B would probably be evacuating through the wormhole and seizing a new home for themselves in the Alpha Quadrant, but I doubt it would come to that, the Alliance owes them too much to refuse and the threat would be known to be grave enough by that point that helping the Dominion would be a no-brainer.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    *reads blog, mind starts speculating*

Hmmm...

I will say that this planet is located in the Gamma Quadrant and those ships belong to the Hur'q.

We need a common enemy to fight along side with the Dominion for the new expansion coming out this summer. I'm sure there will be some tension and probably even a bit of fighting between the Alliance and the Dominion initially, but once the main baddies show up and state their intentions, it'll be all "We can help each other fight this common foe. Join with us and they don't stand a chance."

Or I could be completely wrong. Only time will tell.

MEMORY ALPHA DATA ARCHIVE : http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Hur'q#Appendices
    Appendices
    • Background information
      This species was only mentioned in dialogue.
    • Apocrypha
      The Hur'q were also featured in the video game Star Trek: Invasion, where they came back through a wormhole and had to be stopped from entering this area of the Galaxy to prevent them from taking it over. They were insectoid scavengers, whose physiology resembled that of army ants and the armor of the samurai.

According to the manual for Star Trek: Klingon Academy, the Klingons acquired warp drive from the Hur'q, by capturing and reverse-engineering some of their ships when they resisted their incursions. This explained how the Klingons, despite not being focused on technological research, managed to make the societal jump to interstellar travel.

*While they don't make an on-screen appearance, the Hur'q are hinted to be behind the Fek'Ihri Horde's attack in Star Trek Online.
    *N.B. Continuity!

Thanks to iamynaught for jump-starting my google engine!
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png