test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

~!!~ Rethinking Social Zones ~!!~

Many of the "social" zones in STO seem to be floundering as of late, and I think we can generally narrow the decline down to three factors: general playerbase population decline, too many options, and unsavory "other" players.

1. Less players = less populated social areas.
2. The more social zone options for less players = less populated "core" zones
3. Some players don't want to mix with other players (normal players/RPers; Space rich/space poor; etc)

There have been efforts by the Devs to remake some of the social zones, with mixed results (new ESD club, very good; new Drozana, not so much). Those re-makes took a lot of Dev time and effort and are now generally unused (Old Droz was a major social hub). You get a few year-round Risians, some Quark's regulars, but zones like the ESD club and Paradise City are generally dead. Yet the demand to re-vamp certain zones remain.

The Devs should consolidate the number of social areas players have access to based on pre-selected "flags" or character options, thus streamlining the social experience for the playerbase. It could be a similar process to the PvE queue system, except the maps you access are pre-chosen.

Case in point: Someone creates a toon with the intention of using that character for Roleplay. By selecting a "roleplay" box on the social tab, your social zone options are limited to three "roleplay appropriate" containment zones: Risa, Andoria, Bajor.

By selecting one of the three options, RPers will not only be placed in zones with other RP-flagged toons, they will not disturb other players in other social areas. Note that once a toon has been flagged for RP, there is no way to undo it without creating a new toon for "normal play."

Some social areas can also restrict access based on a refundable "cover charge" system. Space billionaires can pay a 1 billion ec cover charge (refunded after exiting the zone) to access certain zones, like Quark's, or maybe a "high-roller" zone for players of the same ilk to socialize, play dabo, do some off-exchange trading, and so on.

Players with less than a billion can pay smaller cover charges for other zones, say 50,000 ec for Defera, Ganalda,the K-7 lounge, and so on.

This would allow space rich players to have normal conversation without others begging for ec, ships, items, and lower-tier players can talk about whatever it is they talk about.

Players who have been flagged repeatedly for disruption (by other players) will eventually only be given one option: Paradise City.

The point is to consolidate certain zones for heavier social traffic and to create community through matching players with like-interests together.

Comments

• Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    there are already zones that match players with like interests:

1) New Romulus for Romulans
    2) Q'nos for Klingons
    3) DS9 for sellers/spammers
    4) Drozana for dancing on tables
    5) Risa for.. whatever they do on Risa
    6) ESD for arguing about Trump
    7) Sector space - for complaining about whatever is being talked about in the above :p
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I know you are merely preying on certain "susceptible" individuals for reasons, however to comment on the actual chosen topic this seems awfully complicated when you can simply restrict your chat box in social zones to a channel of your choice and filter out everything else, including "local" chat and "emotes". Since everybody can do that, everyone can isolate themselves in their own bubble without any development effort at all.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    what a surprise. the elitist is demanding the devs make it so the unwashed don't offend his sensibilities.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yeah no need to add in ridiculous player restrictions based on whatever arbitrary nonsense the OP wants to define groups by. STO at its heart is IDIC and anyone should be able to go anywhere (outside of okd fashioned faction limitations).
    I see exactly what this thread is for
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    But why would we need to segregate the players? What's wrong with people going where they like and doing what they choose?

Why do you have such a problem with roleplayers and casual players? What's wrong with doing the work yourself to avoid negative confrontations on your behalf?
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @disqord#9557 said:
    > But why would we need to segregate the players? What's wrong with people going where they like and doing what they choose?
    >
    > Why do you have such a problem with roleplayers and casual players? What's wrong with doing the work yourself to avoid negative confrontations on your behalf?

There are many things wrong erpgers, which is the only variety of rpers that sto has anymore. I defy any player in this thread or the game itself to sit through 20 seconds of some random player spouting off about being an underage girl looking for someone to r.a.p.e. her, which is an actual statement I saw in Risa zone chat, along with stuff much worse. This is repugnant behavior thay wouldn't be tolerated on 4chan or reddit and it should never be tolerated in STO, not even for one moment.

Seen that myself, when that happens I notify Medical personnel through a chat channel and the doctors come to help the person....
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    Simplest solution is let people go where they want, unrestricted.

And then if someone posts something you don't like in zone chat put them on ignore. Or better yet just use a channel specifically to chat with your preferred players.
    No reason to restrict players you dislike from going anywhere, you can just block their comms from being visible yourself.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    OP, I bow to your superior abilities in the area of stirring night soil.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    Only time I've ever been bothered by RPers in a social zone, was recently on Risa, when someone pretending to be Beavis, kept macking on my toon (and other female toons at the GTG)

#FunnyThat
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Only time I've ever been bothered by RPers in a social zone, was recently on Risa, when someone pretending to be Beavis, kept macking on my toon (and other female toons at the GTG)

#FunnyThat

Good story, I guess?
    HKtsMyO.jpg

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Every now and then, I find myself unexpectedly grateful that the devs no longer seem to pay much attention to the "official" forums.

On the slim chance that a developer actually reads this thread, let me say that I give my full and enthusiastic support to more focus being placed on private maps such as Fleet holdings (starbase, etc), which - in my experience - is where most RP takes place in this game, away from those who might be bothered by it. Many of those maps have not been updated in years, aside from implementing the new lighting model, and are inadequate to the needs of large fleets and/or armadas; I have observed many Fleet events where some members of the fleet(s) were unable to attend ceremonies and other gatherings due to the caps on simultaneous players.

This literally hard-coded limit on these maps' utility as social zones sometimes raises the question, what other utility or purpose do they have? What is the value in implementing such areas in a way that leaves them not fully adequate for their primary use, yet gives them few or no others? The new colony map at least has a clear reason for being capped at exactly the maximum number who can take part in an invasion scenario, but that cap renders it less than suitable for any other Fleet use.

I would like to see the Devs take another look at the player caps for all Fleet holding maps, from the oldest (Starbase) to the newest (Colony). The more who can fit on those private instanced maps simultaneously, the fewer are left to bother other players who are uninterested in participating.
  • Options
    soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    Simpler solution for that is to separate out various instances, and funnel players based on selectable flags. So players flagged for RP might go to ESD 1-3, While players flagged for trade might get 4-6
  • Options

#FunnyThat

Good story, I guess?
    HKtsMyO.jpg

Glad you can admit it.
    Admit what? :confused: That someone macking on fem-toons isn't a good story? :confused::confused: It's not. The behaviour was a bit desperate and pathetic to witness, but not a 'good story'...

• Options
    That's a good idea.

I try to come up with such. Simple, elegant, and effective
    Hell, if they wanted to do something with age check (link to accounts, perhaps? So verify through PSN/XBL/ARC), they could even add a few ERP areas for 18+
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    I'd like to open up social zones more. Like, our fleet loves the Dranuur map, it's your own private Risa without Pavyl and his pervy-posse. But we're a multi-faction fleet, and our KDF members can't join us there for group events, which is ridiculous (by group events I mean costume prizes, fleet meetings etc). However, since we're now moving into "make KDF fleets part of a Fed armada" I'll just leave this here, cos it isn't going to happen.
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    aliguana wrote: »
    I'd like to open up social zones more. Like, our fleet loves the Dranuur map, it's your own private Risa without Pavyl and his pervy-posse. But we're a multi-faction fleet, and our KDF members can't join us there for group events, which is ridiculous (by group events I mean costume prizes, fleet meetings etc). However, since we're now moving into "make KDF fleets part of a Fed armada" I'll just leave this here, cos it isn't going to happen.

Actually, I could see that, if nothing else, fleets could get exemptions about that sort of thing. Allow multi-faction fleets to share areas.
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Simplest solution is let people go where they want, unrestricted.

And then if someone posts something you don't like in zone chat put them on ignore. Or better yet just use a channel specifically to chat with your preferred players.
    No reason to restrict players you dislike from going anywhere, you can just block their comms from being visible yourself.

What he said. The ability to mute someone one finds objectionable is already in-game. Then again, I long ago disabled all local chat. If I really need to have a word with someone, I'll go to a channel they are a part of. I even have a few channels just for friends.
    Simpler solution for that is to separate out various instances, and funnel players based on selectable flags. So players flagged for RP might go to ESD 1-3, While players flagged for trade might get 4-6

But what if one wishes to trade and RP?

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    > @jamieblanchard said:
    > lordsteve1 wrote: »
    >
    > Simplest solution is let people go where they want, unrestricted.
    >
    > And then if someone posts something you don't like in zone chat put them on ignore. Or better yet just use a channel specifically to chat with your preferred players.
    > No reason to restrict players you dislike from going anywhere, you can just block their comms from being visible yourself.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What he said. The ability to mute someone one finds objectionable is already in-game. Then again, I long ago disabled all local chat. If I really need to have a word with someone, I'll go to a channel they are a part of. I even have a few channels just for friends.
    > soullessraptor wrote: »
    >
    > Simpler solution for that is to separate out various instances, and funnel players based on selectable flags. So players flagged for RP might go to ESD 1-3, While players flagged for trade might get 4-6
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > But what if one wishes to trade and RP?

> @jamieblanchard said:
    > lordsteve1 wrote: »
    >
    > Simplest solution is let people go where they want, unrestricted.
    >
    > And then if someone posts something you don't like in zone chat put them on ignore. Or better yet just use a channel specifically to chat with your preferred players.
    > No reason to restrict players you dislike from going anywhere, you can just block their comms from being visible yourself.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What he said. The ability to mute someone one finds objectionable is already in-game. Then again, I long ago disabled all local chat. If I really need to have a word with someone, I'll go to a channel they are a part of. I even have a few channels just for friends.
    > soullessraptor wrote: »
    >
    > Simpler solution for that is to separate out various instances, and funnel players based on selectable flags. So players flagged for RP might go to ESD 1-3, While players flagged for trade might get 4-6
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > But what if one wishes to trade and RP?

Then perhaps, depending on hub size, there would be hybrid instances
  • Options
    But if you want to trade you tend to use a dedicated trade channel rather than just stand in a specific zone waiting to find a bidder. Sure some spam zonechat but a lot just go to the place dedicated for trade.

And to be fair most RP’ers probably use dedicated channels too.

So no reason to segregate players based on arbitrary descriptions of their preferences.

And if someone is being inappropriate and what not then you just put them on ignore or report them for harassment/bullying/sexual content etc.
    SulMatuul.png
This discussion has been closed.