test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which Tier 6 models messed up your build?

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
Just a thought I had and I'm curious what everyone thinks.

Sometimes the Tier 6 bridge officer stations on a ship are a little disappointing, and would actually mess up the build I've got going that I have fun with.
For me, this was the case with the Tier 6 Multi-mission Explorers. I had the tactical version, and used the Lt Commander uni station for Tac-TT1, APB1, and CRF2. My science captain rarely left this ship, waiting until the Tier 6 version finally came along. But the change of the Lt Commander to Uni/Temporal would make me choose between my core Tac powers and a Temporal power.

I know we're not required to use specialization powers, but in this case, if I don't I might as well stay in the T5-U version. Which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on the Tier 6 yet.

What Tier 6 ship versions are you disappointed with (whether you bought it or not) or would mess up your own build?
C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    None so far. And honestly... my old Assault Cruiser build was actually IMPROVED by the addition of an extra Sci BOff power.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    djf021 wrote: »

Sometimes the Tier 6 bridge officer stations on a ship are a little disappointing, and would actually mess up the build I've got going that I have fun with.
    For me, this was the case with the Tier 6 Multi-mission Explorers. I had the tactical version, and used the Lt Commander uni station for Tac-TT1, APB1, and CRF2. My science captain rarely left this ship, waiting until the Tier 6 version finally came along. But the change of the Lt Commander to Uni/Temporal would make me choose between my core Tac powers and a Temporal power.

I know we're not required to use specialization powers, but in this case, if I don't I might as well stay in the T5-U version. Which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on the Tier 6 yet.

What Tier 6 ship versions are you disappointed with (whether you bought it or not) or would mess up your own build?

The T6 Tac Vesta, the Palatine, has an extra Tac ability over the T5 version with having a Lt. Comm Tac plus the Lt. Comm Uni, so you can still run what you had in the Uni slot either way. If you slotted in only one Temporal power (it's fairly safe to ignore the Builder/Consumer 'mechanic') you'd be able to have everything you had in your previous build, plus that extra power.

• Options
    djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    djf021 wrote: »

The T6 Tac Vesta, the Palatine, has an extra Tac ability over the T5 version with having a Lt. Comm Tac plus the Lt. Comm Uni, so you can still run what you had in the Uni slot either way. If you slotted in only one Temporal power (it's fairly safe to ignore the Builder/Consumer 'mechanic') you'd be able to have everything you had in your previous build, plus that extra power.

265d07f6c6dea24cfa39ba2c6d46a979--jim-carrey-jim-orourke.jpg
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    The T6 Sovereign allowed me to use FAW3, Override subsystem safeties 2 and torpedo spread 3, so I didn't feel I nerfed myself too badly by doing a broadsiding beamboat with a wide-arc torpedo.

I do wish the science station on the Eclipse was a universal though. For a battlecruiser it doesn't feel like it has enough tactical powers.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I rarely use the specialization gimmicks at all.

And for that matter, I rarely think much about builds these days at all, since the game is too autowin.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I only use the specialization boff abilities on the commander engineering slots when using tactical based cruisers on my main tactical toon.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    This one: https://sto.gamepedia.com/D'Khellra_Warbird_Battlecruiser

Talk about a letdown. They put the spec seat (bear in mind I LOVE command) on the only high-level tac seating on the whole ship. So if you want to run command powers, odds are you are gonna have to compensate with that universal Lieutenant. Should have been on the Lt. Com. science IMO.

I passed on this ship in favor of the Kara, which I consider better in terms of layout.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    funnybunnyhophopfunnybunnyhophop Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    T6 no thank you.......- T6 killed this game

Dumm craptic devs!
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    edited October 2017

Dumm craptic devs!
    How did that "kill" the game, exactly? The only thing I found really annoying with T6 is having T6 versions of lobi or hard to get T5 ships like the bugship and no way to get the upgrade other than buying the whole ship again, as well as having the T5 not giving you any bonus/reward if you grab the T6 later.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User

Dumm craptic devs!

Nope, still alive.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @saurializard said:
    > funnybunnyhophop wrote: »
    >
    > T6 no thank you.......- T6 killed this game
    >
    > Dumm craptic devs!
    >
    >
    >
    > How did that "kill" the game, exactly? The only thing I found really annoying with T6 is having T6 versions of lobi or hard to get T5 ships like the bugship and no way to get the upgrade other than buying the whole ship again, as well as having the T5 not giving you any bonus/reward if you grab the T6 later.

I have actually found it muxh easier to replace old T5 lockbox ships than it was to acquire them to begin with.

Way back in the day, first run of Cardassian lockboxes (when they still had two rarities), I spent literally hundreds of dollars getting a Galor (which I flew until the Nandi came along). Spent lots more for another Galor on a different character.

When the Keldon came out I spent narry a penny. Took a little time to gather the EC & bought the thing off the exchange.
    Infinity lockboxes helped a lot with that, but that wasn't my point.
    For clarification, one of my issues is that once a rarer T5 ship got a T6, it became irrelevant in everyway. For example, you still have T5 versions of ships in the C-Store, but even with their T6 version, they do offer something, for instance their console which the T6 version doesn't have. T6 lobi and event ships, instead, have the same console than the T5 version with enhanced abilities (mostly one or two passives). Heck, the T6 bugships even got a console, unlike the T5.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    if you want to look at the Temporal Options one option is to put tac team in the ensign universal and play around with the ensign temporal abilities.

Out side of that I would say even if you don't do that you would get a lt cmdr eng boff slot.

As far as specialization boff slots It has removed the issue of the usless ensign/Wesley Crusher slot that plagued t5 ships for the longest time. Now if you have a commander/Special Slot now you can use the ensign/lt ability for specials and shift the normal ability to the child's seat.

I would never say more options ruin builds. ruined implies that an option was removed. you can still do it.