test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Un-official Gamma Quadrant Speculation thread

newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
I did a thread awhile back asking for a Gamma Quadrant expansion - seems like they might be listening. So who will be our guide? Odo? Is René Auberjonois available for voice acting?

Since it is pure speculation, I suppose I could have titled it the official speculation thread. But, whatever.

Comments

• asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I was thinking that if we get an addition of a new enemy to fight, that maybe it could be a pair of enemies, which we maybe fumble into the middle of. Than we might have something like a battlezone that had use fight to claim points in the zone like others, but that also the two npc faction-enemies might fight against each other actually in the battle-zone.

It is hard to say what we might get though. So far we have gotten some form of faction release when these larger expansions come out (Ie delta rise, and the temporal expansion). So maybe we might get a mini-Dominion faction, or alliance of gamma-quad races that have not had their sectors in the quad taken into the control of the Dominion to keep their independence from them. More likely if we did that it would be the mini-Dominion faction much like 23'rd century fed faction.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I really cannot see how they can do a Dominion faction (mini or full) without upsetting thousands of players who paid a lot for those shiny Jem'hadar ships. I mean the Attack/Strike/Recon ships are worth over a billion EC each and even the JHHEC and JHDC are worth several million each.
    Having an actual Dominion faction would mess with all of that. So you either have the faction getting el-cheapo bootleg dumbed down versions of those ships which would feel a bit naff, or you upset all those who were paying a lot of resources for your game to stay alive.
    Honestly, Cryptic could do with NOT upsetting any more players right now and NOT driving people away.
    SulMatuul.png
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    What do I expect?

- New sub faction with half a dozen new playable species at best (Jem’Hadar, Vorta, Cardassian, Breen, perhaps a changeling for lifers but unlikely).

- One faction specific story arc in form of 6-12 episodes (incl. patrols).

- Recruitment event with acc wide benefits to get peeps to play

- New Sector Space part the size of TOS space

- 1 free new Tier 1 leveling ship

- 4 new Sub Tier 6 leveling ships from Zen store

- Perhaps an integration to KDF after the initial story arc like they did with 23C Starfleet and regular Star Fleet. Alternative would be a free choice like with Roms.

That should be it.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • thecoffinflythecoffinfly Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    I rather hope we don't see another faction. I'd rather the devs put their time and assets into creating a dynamic and engaging story involving the DQ that isn't just a rehash of the Dominion War. Obv. some DS9 cast members would be awesome

The only real problem is, beyond a dozen or so species, we really know very little about the DQ from a canon standpoint, but that itself could provide a very wide berth for story telling.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    The other option would be cardassians, but same issue of their ships being in the lobi-store/lockboxes. Though if you limited the use of dominion/cardassian ships to low tier ships an during the story-arc, but then had them join the alliance an use the ships from one of the factions would keep that issue to a minimum.
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    More importantly, will Sisko's Pimp Hand be a starship trait or ground trait, boff ability, kit module, or maybe a new emote??
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    Are there any Dominion/Cardassian ships left that haven't been lockboxed? No I can't see either as a faction. Same goes for Breen. And lets face it, the last faction they added wasn't even close to a real faction. It was a nice bit of TOS roleplay with 5 exclusive missions.

I admit I have a hard time seeing a Gamma quadrant expansion. I can see a bunch of new missions set in the gamma quadrant, but I think we've seen the end of the expansions. Certainly can't see it being anything close to the New Romulus expansion of even the delta quadrant expansion.

We might get a slight reworking of the Cardassian arc, a new sector block, maybe 6 new proper missions, a few patrols and two new queues. Maybe a space or ground battlezone.

Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    if they are doing it I can see them reaching out to Rene, and Alex Siddig, Nana Visitor. I don't know if avery brooks or Armin Shimmerman are within the budget. also, we dont know how long Bajorans live so Kira COULD still be around. Bashir should still be around.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    I hope for more ferengi, quark, grand nagus rom and Nog should lead us, after all the ferengi made first contact with the dominion if I am not mistaken.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I really cannot see how they can do a Dominion faction (mini or full) without upsetting thousands of players who paid a lot for those shiny Jem'hadar ships. I mean the Attack/Strike/Recon ships are worth over a billion EC each and even the JHHEC and JHDC are worth several million each.
    Having an actual Dominion faction would mess with all of that. So you either have the faction getting el-cheapo bootleg dumbed down versions of those ships which would feel a bit naff, or you upset all those who were paying a lot of resources for your game to stay alive.
    Honestly, Cryptic could do with NOT upsetting any more players right now and NOT driving people away.

There isn't need to think in such terms. If there is to be a Dominion faction, it could start out somewhat like the Romulan faction, one or two ships are kept on, but the vast majority of new Dominion ship designs are Cryptic inspired designs. There isn't any real point of contention as to why it can't happen. The Dominion stuff from the boxes are merely left over relics from another era that are not needed any more, the Dominion has advanced since.

Same could be said of the Cardassians, they have advanced beyond the last 50 years in designs and ability. The Keldon class would be a cruiser and the Hideki class would be the shuttle, while there are new cryptic inspired designs for the Cardassians.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    I did a thread awhile back asking for a Gamma Quadrant expansion - seems like they might be listening. So who will be our guide? Odo? Is René Auberjonois available for voice acting?

Since it is pure speculation, I suppose I could have titled it the official speculation thread. But, whatever.

I'd love it. I did like the Dominion and there's plenty left to explore after DS9 ended with them.

It could even give rise to a Dominion faction (I know, BLAH BLAH BLAH WHINE WHINE WHINE). The big enemy? Two words: MIRROR DOMINION
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    There isn't need to think in such terms. If there is to be a Dominion faction, it could start out somewhat like the Romulan faction, one or two ships are kept on, but the vast majority of new Dominion ship designs are Cryptic inspired designs. There isn't any real point of contention as to why it can't happen. The Dominion stuff from the boxes are merely left over relics from another era that are not needed any more, the Dominion has advanced since.

Same could be said of the Cardassians, they have advanced beyond the last 50 years in designs and ability. The Keldon class would be a cruiser and the Hideki class would be the shuttle, while there are new cryptic inspired designs for the Cardassians.
    I'm hoping that a Dominion faction has options like KDF. Mostly main empire stuff, with handfuls of minor race ships. So you could have races like the Wadi represented in the ship lineup.

As for how to do main empire ships that don't conflict with the lockbox stuff, there's lots of ways to make them slightly weaker....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

I'm hoping that a Dominion faction has options like KDF. Mostly main empire stuff, with handfuls of minor race ships. So you could have races like the Wadi represented in the ship lineup.

As for how to do main empire ships that don't conflict with the lockbox stuff, there's lots of ways to make them slightly weaker....

It's possible, it depends how Cryptic go about the story for the Dominion.
    edited October 2017
    Wadi aren't part of The Dominion.

Maybe not at the time, but in the years since? A lot of things can happen in 35 years.
  • binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I actually hope that they DON'T introduce another faction. Only speaking from my own perspective of course.

The best we can hope for from a new faction is a limited number of faction-specific episodes before we're dropped somewhere in the game's 'classic' storyline. I have absolutely no desire to replay the whole game again and no 'special completion reward' sweetens the deal for me pesonally - particularly not if we have to do silly 'find temporal probe' tasks and complete a pointless puzzle' to obtain it.

mini faction (similar to 23. century captains with gamma quadrant recruitment) with new race/s and after breef "escape gamma quadrant" arch your refugee team joins one of two major factions... that would be interesting idea while revisiting gamma with high level captain later.

i would still prefer romulans as third real faction but that will never happen anyway...

i always suspected that this new bugs are creation of founders but since i dont expect gamma thing for year or so i might be completely wrong since lots of story can happen to that time. also maybe we will advance to 2411.
  • luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    If it is the Gamma Quad, the finale after some pew pew would be the cration of New Khitomer - which thanks to all of the wibbily wobbily timey wimey stuff we know exists in the future in the Gamma quad.
    luddimus wrote: »
    If it is the Gamma Quad, the finale after some pew pew would be the cration of New Khitomer - which thanks to all of the wibbily wobbily timey wimey stuff we know exists in the future in the Gamma quad.

it's likely. why would cryptic go to all the effort to make an episode like that and not fill in the gaps. :tongue:
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    As long as it has vo by brooks i dont care what it comes with lol
  • newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    I think they could do a delta quadrant like expansion into the Gamma Quadrant. They could come out with multiple characters that you could play - Jem Hadar, Vorta, cardassian, i suppose a founder, but the last one I doubt. shape shifting being too difficult. The area was not flushed out well in the series. There are plenty of new ship designs that could be done 35 years later. It could be the biggest expansion yet if they did it well. They could even have it span several seasons.
    Maybe not at the time, but in the years since? A lot of things can happen in 35 years.
    We know that races which voluntarily joined the Dominion were not treated particularly harshly. But the one appearance of Wadi had no info as to whether they were or weren't. all we really knew was that they're native to the Gamma Quadrant.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    We know that races which voluntarily joined the Dominion were not treated particularly harshly. But the one appearance of Wadi had no info as to whether they were or weren't. all we really knew was that they're native to the Gamma Quadrant.

Indeed and your are very much correct on what you said but without knowing one way or the other? it's possible Cryptic could align them to the dominion to be apart of a larger faction. If you look at the Romulan faction all they got are Romulans and Remans as confirmed factions, then you got alien gen races and the LTS Liberated Romulan-Borg. It could be worth Cryptic's while adding the Wadi to the faction to have another race on the list on character creation, but having more wider range of opportunity to expand on ship designs, weapons and clothing choices.

We also know so little of the Wadi beyond their game on DS9, the Wadi are still mostly an open book and a lot of room to create a faction with a backstory forged by Cryptic.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    What do I expect?

- New sub faction with half a dozen new playable species at best (Jem’Hadar, Vorta, Cardassian, Breen, perhaps a changeling for lifers but unlikely).

I don't know why Cardassians are always lumped together with the Dominion for a faction.

In canon, the Cardassians got bombed by the Dominion near the end of the war. The True Way has Cardassians and Jem'hadar working together, but that's because it's made up of ALPHA Jem'hadar. The rest of the Cardassians are no longer a part of the Dominion, nor would they want to be again.

The Breen, like the Cardassians, likely aren't going to be a playable Dominion species either, since they lost stuff that the Domiinion gave them as part of their alliance. Plus, the Breen are an Alpha Quadrant species so there's also that.
    - One faction specific story arc in form of 6-12 episodes (incl. patrols).

I can see this for sure.
    - Recruitment event with acc wide benefits to get peeps to play

Almost pretty much going to happen.
    - New Sector Space part the size of TOS space

I would actually say more like the size that the Alpha Quadrant initially was after the sector space revamp at 4x5.
    - 1 free new Tier 1 leveling ship

I can see this.
    - 4 new Sub Tier 6 leveling ships from Zen store

I think they'll have more ships than that, especially given how they like expansion packs.
    - Perhaps an integration to KDF after the initial story arc like they did with 23C Starfleet and regular Star Fleet. Alternative would be a free choice like with Roms.

That should be it.

I think the choice would be better than just lumping them with the KDF.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    Well, the STO lore for the Wadi has them as a race more willing to work with the KDF than the Feds for some reason. They were added along with the Dominion FE series.

*hunts down the doff missions*

Wadi Officer Exchange Program: "The High Command has ordered the implementation of officer exchange programs to assist integration of Imperial Protectorates."

Hunh... so this would seem to suggest that they're more closely allied with KDF than the Dominion in STO.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Well, the STO lore for the Wadi has them as a race more willing to work with the KDF than the Feds for some reason. They were added along with the Dominion FE series.

Wadi Officer Exchange Program: "The High Command has ordered the implementation of officer exchange programs to assist integration of Imperial Protectorates."

Hunh... so this would seem to suggest that they're more closely allied with KDF than the Dominion in STO.

Without knowing what the reasons for that protectorate is? The thing is what caused the Dominion war in the first place was incursions into the Gamma quadrant from those in the Alpha and Beta quadrants and it provoked the Dominion.

It could be possible a few thousand Wadi Refugees left their homeworld and settled in the Alpha or Beta Quadrants and the Klingons made them a protectorate, but again without knowing why. It's just shooting the dark hoping to hit an answer at this point.

Without knowing what the reasons for that protectorate is? The thing is what caused the Dominion war in the first place was incursions into the Gamma quadrant from those in the Alpha and Beta quadrants and it provoked the Dominion.

It could be possible a few thousand Wadi Refugees left their homeworld and settled in the Alpha or Beta Quadrants and the Klingons made them a protectorate, but again without knowing why. It's just shooting the dark hoping to hit an answer at this point.
    No, this seems to be the Wadi as a whole, since one of the other Wadi related missions is about helping the Wadi find new colony worlds... in the Gamma Q.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

No, this seems to be the Wadi as a whole, since one of the other Wadi related missions is about helping the Wadi find new colony worlds... in the Gamma Q.

I've gone and looked it up on sto wiki and i'm either looking in the wrong location or it's not there, do you have more proof? sorry, i'm almost convinced you're right but a little more would be nice.