test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Single player story mission/pug build advice

thinker#1378 thinker Member Posts: 11 Arc User
I'm a very new player that has been playing for about a month, and am looking for advice to help with my problems.

Those problems, in simplest terms are 'I keep getting blown up.'

I've looked around on youtube and a bit on these forums, and I've sorta figured out what it is I want to play as ... but I am not entirely sure how to do it.

I wish to play as the OffTank (good DPS, but with less of a glass jaw that the super DPS guys tend to have), as I believe that it would suit my preferred play style very well.

However, I've only really seen examples of the extremes of both, rather than the middle ground I am looking for.

As some basic information, I've been playing for less than a month (and thus, have none of the major event tech yet). My primary character is a Tactical Alien Fed-Romulan with a Ha'apax Warbird (the cruiser type free Tier 5 warbird), who currently has a balanced build with a bit of everything. I am willing to respec ... once.

I am pretty much free to play only (so it will take time for me to build up Zen.) I am however, in a nice big fleet that is fully upgraded (except for the colony, but it is coming along nicely). I am only Tier 2 in all of my reputations right now, but I am being diligent in getting them ALL going.

I've already pretty much settled for Anti-Proton weapons (which I am currently working on acquiring), and so far it looks like my best bet is going heavy into my hull since shields are borderline worthless against my most common enemies (the Borg and Tholians in the pug runs, along with some story enemies).

I'm also interested in a heavily passive regen based build since I am currently looking at an aux to bat build for my DPS (I am open to other suggestions however, up to and including getting a different ship)

The specific advice I am looking for however, Is what sort of modules should I be looking for, and what can I use until I have them that I can get relatively easily.

Also, what sort of Bridge Officer powers should I be looking into the most. (as a note, the hand on my mouse has an old injury, so I am slow to click on things, so most of my abilities are bound to the spacebar pretty much by necessity.)

To give you a good Idea where I'm starting from, my build is right here:

Weapons: assorted plasma dual cannon and turrets in the Mk 11-12 range at various rarities (what I had available, but it will be Cannons or a dual beam build for me ... warbirds just look wrong with beam array broadsideing.)

VR Positron deflector mk XII with [CtrlX] [em]

VR Combat impulse with [Aux] [turn]x2

Preeminent Singularity core with [A->E] [S->W] [Scap] (the Melting Pot core)

VR Resiliant Shield Array Mk XII with [Cap]x2 [Tet]

Consoles:

Eng:
1x Reinforced Armaments Mk XII
2x Uc RCS Accelerators Mk XII
1x R EPS Flow Regulator Mk XII

Sci:
1x R Emitter Array Mk XII
1x Uc Emitter Array Mk XII

Tac:
3x R Plasma Infuser Mk XII (I was actually smart enough to stay away from the Rainbow build ... completely by accident before I learned that they were a bad thing ... LOL)

Devices:
1x Subspace field Modulator
1x Red Matter Capacitor (from the phoenix event)
and a full stack of shield Batteries

Bridge Officers:
Tac:
2x Tac Team 1
1x Cannon Scatter volly (occasionally swapped with Rapid fire if I'm doing a story Mission)

Eng:
2x Eng Team 1
2x Aux Power to SIF 1
2x Emergency power to weapons 3
1x Reverse shield polarity 3

Sci:
1x Sci Team 1
1x Sci Team 2

(all of my bridge officers have some degree of romulan operative)

Duty officers ... Just assume I'm a blank slate. Been trying to figure out what be build should be before I start investing in them.

I do have a couple of semi-formed plans once I figure out my build.

Getting the CritDx3 anti-proton weapons from the fleet colony for the healing procs (assuming they don't get nerfed before I get them), complete with the Spire Locators for anti-proton damage. (High crit chance with enough CritD on the weapons themselves to hit like a truck every time ... I drool at the future.)

Saving my zen for a Scimitar hull (a good, if not top line ship that should hold me over well enough until I save enough for the Flagship pack so that ALL of my characters can have a nice T6 ship ... and I want the Scimitar appearance for the T6 warbirds first 'cause I think they're ugly with their 'out of the box' skins.)

Otherwise, I am very open to any advice to help me with my goals.

All I really was is to be a decent player that won't hold back their team, and to not die in the story missions ('cause it feels like a failure if I see the respawn screen in a story mission ... but I'm weird like that.)

TLDR Version: Any "must-have" tech/traits/abilities/ships that I need to look for or somehow acquire as a brand new player with a Federation-Romulan Toon to be a decent OffTank build using Anti-proton Weapons and (preferably) passive Hull regen for the tanking part, would be massively appreciated. Assume that I am starting completely broke and from the position of someone without anything that can't be found in normal loot drops.

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    The T6 Scimitar Flagships come with the base (Tac) Scimitar looks as an option, so you only need the T5 ones if you want the Sci or Eng variant T5 looks.

For a quick replacement of your Deflector, Engine and Shields, I'd recommend the Sol Defense set from the “Midnight” mission in the "Iconian War" arc. The set bonus is fairly nice, with 2-piece being a bit of armor and the 3-piece being a clicky AoE heal.

I would work towards getting the Iconian Reputation Shield/Engine/Deflector and maybe Sing Core, as it's up there in both DPS enhancement (particularly the 3-piece and 4-piece set bonus) and durability.
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    A quick off the top of my head cheap build simply to get started:
    Sol set - good for survival. The shield isn't great so could go sol delfector and engines and some other shield.
    Singularity - either plasma integrated or thoron infused. Cheap on the exchange for basic version, the point of these is to get the weapons powered.

Dual beam up front are more sensibe than 45 degree firing arc canons on a slow ship
    Rear start with turrets and collect omni directional beams as you progress
    ( assuming you want all energy weapons)

Eng console
    Conductive RCS, check out very rare that should be cheap and see what ultra rare the exchange has.
    Neutronium armour
    EPS
    Whatever damage boosting universal console you might have.

Sci
    Exotic particle field exciter - extra shield cap, and 50% up time for more weapon power, ultra rares have an extra mod.
    Whatever damage or shield booster console you have. Those shield emitters are not doing much.

Tac
    Tac consoles of course, just pick the right colour. Eventually switch to fleet ones with extra crits, then upgrade those

Tac abilities
    Tac team 1, attack pattern beta
    Fire at will

Eng
    EPTS 1, ET 1
    Aux to damp 1 - with doff boosts duration and adds energy damage resistance
    EPTW 3 - so you hit an emergency power to as often as the cooldowns allow. With enough cooldowns one copy of each can be up all all the time.

This leaves a lt and commander slot, so things from rsp, aceton beam, auxtosif, eject warp plamsa - the original engineer abilities weren't great in comparison to sci or tac, having too many tanking abilities and not enough damage dealing ones. With ST, EPTS, ET and HE you have two shield and two hull heals, are more necessary?

sci
    Sci team 1 - shield heal
    Hazard emitters 2 - heal, clears plasma fire from borg and can add damage resistance

Doff
    Aux to damp - a top doff for a slow ship
    Good damage dealing doffs are generally very expensive, so start with ones that add a bit extra to heals or reduce cooldowns on sci, eng or tac team.

As you progress through the story missions some nice consoles and weapons will drop. Best play the missions in order for fun and collect gear as you go rather than jump ahead just to get gear.

As reps are done nice universal consoles/weapon sets unlock, good old standards are borg assimilated with kinetic beam, and zero point rom console, these give extra crits and power.

ROMULAN BOFFS - get ones with superior operative these add crits. try to get one with superior infiltrator. So decloak then attack for extra damage, but with more crits, the overall effect should be a nice boost. The decloack bonus and crits are the big dps advantage that roms get, and rom tacs have generally been the dps leaders.