test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Red Alert
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I would rather of seen Axanar, that felt 'Trek' ... Discovery didn't.

Wu1Ooju.jpg
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • battledawgz#3186 battledawgz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Red Alert
    *sigh* I don't know where to start. Lens Flares all over the place, the Battlestar Galactica interior, the Orc Aliens... I meant Klingons and Holographic Communications? I bet the Holodeck is coming up next. So much criticism I have about TRIBBLE I'm not going to waste time on it to put it simply I don't like it.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    My father apparently found the same youtube videos i did, i didn't know he did that but he told me about it an hour after i saw them, he mentioned that it looked rather silly that the Klingons aren't Klingons and that they speak in Klingon. He also didn't like the saturation of graphical space scenes either, too much for him.

T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Strategema
    khan5000 wrote: »
    From what I understand they got the idea that Klingons collect and embalm their dead from Star Trek 4. Spock identifies a Klingon mummification glyph
    Also in a Ds9 episode Worf explains a Klingon tradition of them watching over a fallen warrior as he is brought back home.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    From what I understand they got the idea that Klingons collect and embalm their dead from Star Trek 4. Spock identifies a Klingon mummification glyph
    Also in a Ds9 episode Worf explains a Klingon tradition of them watching over a fallen warrior as he is brought back home.

Klingons from that era consider the dead to be an empty shell after warding off predators looking to steal a Klingon soul that is trying to make it to sto'vo'kor. Once the body has made it there the body would simply be disposed of in the more efficent manner. Frequently when it's a close friend or family member the ritual is performed, but typically it's to open the eyes and shout to warn the dead a new soul is coming.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Kobayashi Maru
    pilot, effects are great. in general the project shows promise

- change the heads of the klingons. it was a nice try ,didn't work ...

- get rid of the subtitles. or make klingon subtitles. why should we suffer

DKkR-_iV4AEN2tp.jpg

- intro needs to be changed. The Expanse much or GoT ...

- add a back story, how the conflict came to this point. because the reason, that started the war is just inadequate.

+ one of my favorite pilots

+ liked the klingon outfits. so steampunk

+ the synergy is great

second episode, began with the mutiny scene ...

repped into the story. there are nitpicky issues of course. while it is its own thing, i felt every iteration in there. the ideals, that each series has presented is brought into this.

OP if you are going to make a poll, please make poll options that make some sense.

open for suggestions for next pool options.
    Post edited by garaks31 on
    Red Alert
    valoreah wrote: »
    Did not see it, but my friend, Sailor Moon, was telling me how bad it was.

And yet, you voted? How can you decide on something you've never seen for yourself?

From all the previews, the obvious JJ vibe I got from it, the fetish convention Klingons, and the 'reboot' feel.

I can say it's enough.

Orville's far more like Trek than Trek has been the past 12 years.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Red Alert
    Oh, this is an All Access complaint rather than a TRIBBLE complaint, but I forgot to mention this in my previous post: why the frak is All Access not available on Samsung TVs!? I have a beautiful 4k smart TV in my living room, but had to watch episode 2 on my computer instead because CBS doesn't support one of the biggest TV brands ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Red Alert

^ This guy epitomizes the fanatics Shatner was referring to here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUL7q8eyig8

Yet, it's a popular Yt channel. Plus us TOS fans do prefer to see SOMETHING TOS in a series set in the Pike years, not JJ Pike years. Gonna take more than a phaser pistol that looks close to TOS, yet fires generic bolts, etc.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Red Alert
    And as I said many times, Star wars fans did not seem to mind the "DISCO!" 70's/80's visuals in the past 2 films, yo.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Oh, this is an All Access complaint rather than a TRIBBLE complaint, but I forgot to mention this in my previous post: why the frak is All Access not available on Samsung TVs!? I have a beautiful 4k smart TV in my living room, but had to watch episode 2 on my computer instead because CBS doesn't support one of the biggest TV brands ...

because CBS AA is literally brand new and no TV model older than a month offers it as an option?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Red Alert
    garaks31 wrote: »
    open for suggestions for next pool options.

You could just make a slight change to it by adding a clarification to reach one, for example:

Red Alert (Terrible)
    It's a novel (Great)
    Etc
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Red Alert
    From all the previews, the obvious JJ vibe I got from it, the fetish convention Klingons, and the 'reboot' feel.

I can say it's enough.

That's akin to reading the first 2 pages of a 1,000 page novel and deciding it stinks.

Ahhh, but I don't recall novels getting a 'reboot' treatment. Also, reading a novel....YOU make the visuals, continuities and so on, not some studio who looks at the fans of the previous shows as liabilities or whatever.

The TRAILER to the ST 2009 film, to me, was better than the film, in my opinion.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    M-5

because CBS AA is literally brand new and no TV model older than a month offers it as an option?​​

CBS All Access started in 2014. It's not brand new.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    I'm still on the fence at this point. I dont think I've seen enough to give it a full measure of fairness. With that said, the visuals effects were superb. I really dont like the JJ flares action however. The characters had believable interplay and fairly good acting... The story was nice but it felt rushed at points and the time jumping element is really overplayed. Additionally, the situation which developed between the captain and the 1st officer was simply farcical for people which have worked together so long in my opinion. Then to brush it off in a one minute dialogue was the height of JJ type of storytelling - action and visuals over character development and story. I was not happy to see Michelle Yeoh killed off as I think she would be a great anchor character for the series and what was up with some of the astonishing tech at that time but what do I know...

At this point I think Axanar would have far a better offering but I could be wrong...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
    Red Alert
    [quote="aspartan1
    At this point I think Axanar would have far a better offering but I could be wrong... [/quote] I been saying that since the start.

dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Red Alert
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence at this point. I dont think I've seen enough to give it a full measure of fairness. With that said, the visuals effects were superb. I really dont like the JJ flares action however. The characters had believable interplay and fairly good acting... The story was nice but it felt rushed at points and the time jumping element is really overplayed. Additionally, the situation which developed between the captain and the 1st officer was simply farcical for people which have worked together so long in my opinion. Then to brush it off in a one minute dialogue was the height of JJ type of storytelling - action and visuals over character development and story. I was not happy to see Michelle Yeoh killed off as I think she would be a great anchor character for the series and what was up with some of the astonishing tech at that time but what do I know...

At this point I think Axanar would have far a better offering but I could be wrong...

As much as I dislike what I saw last night, I would never support Axanar after everything that happened.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Red Alert
    Ahhh, but I don't recall novels getting a 'reboot' treatment. Also, reading a novel....YOU make the visuals, continuities and so on, not some studio who looks at the fans of the previous shows as liabilities or whatever.

The TRAILER to the ST 2009 film, to me, was better than the film, in my opinion.

Sad thing is, you don't even realize this isn't about reboots or anything of the sort.

This don't even look like TOS, cage era....least Axxanar, ST Continues, and Phase 2 can do pretty good for their budgetary limitations. Batman's car looking like something Hank Hill would mow his lawn with counts as a reboot, So far, ST:D has done pretty much the same.

I'm still waiting to see them cast Vince Diesel as Picard, and having him guzzling beer and The Stargazer looking like the Vengeance or a SW Star Destroyer for a TNG prequel while they are at at. |o.O\;;

I can picture the CBS bean counter execs reading that above line and going, "BRILLIANT!!!!"
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.