test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

JJ's back for JJ Wars Episode 9 ...

evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
edited September 2017 in Ten Forward

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    So... are we going to get an actual original story? Or are we going to get Return of the Jedi rehashed?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    My money is on Rehash of the Jedi :(
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Rehash and remakes are safe, and it's scary out there in the cold, starving land of Hollywood.
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Well from the merchandise packaging for "The Last Jedi" it sounds like they might already have another Death Star lined up.

Although I think at this point they are having to do some major reworking of whatever plans they originally had. From the sound of it they really wanted Leia to have a much more active role in Episode 9, but reality decided to step in and kick them in the groin instead.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    I've got a bad feeling about this....
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    Well from the merchandise packaging for "The Last Jedi" it sounds like they might already have another Death Star lined up.

ANOTHER Death Star? Dear God how many of these planet killers exist?! The Empire practically left enough behind that we're tripping over them now?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Yeah... it hasn't officially been confirmed yet, but a Death Star is clearly visible on the packaging art for Kylo Ren's custom star fighter. Of course that is only the beginning of the oversized equipment that the First Order has up its sleeves for Ep 8.

For the First Order allegedly being resource starved compared to the Old Empire they actually seem to be better equipped. Of course part of that seems to be JJ's philosophy that bigger is always better, like how he upsized the ships in his Star Trek films. It kind of makes you wonder if he is compensating for something... >:)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Not sure what this means yet, Abrams did some real good through the stuff he has done. It doesn't seem like Abrams style to rehash something, he usually goes out of his way to do something different or find a different look on it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    has he make the statement yet?!, it will not be about death star ^^
    Post edited by garaks31 on
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    I've got a bad feeling about this....

Me too... Me too...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    As I always said, the one word to sum up JJ's success:

Lucky.

dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Not sure what this means yet, Abrams did some real good through the stuff he has done. It doesn't seem like Abrams style to rehash something, he usually goes out of his way to do something different or find a different look on it.

The Force Awakens was a complete rehash of A New Hope, with some old EU stuff ripped off and thrown in as well. I truly do not understand why so many people like it so much. IMHO the only Star Wars movie worse than TFA is Attack of the Clones.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Some real hyperbolic conclusion-jumping going on in here...

If recent news is any indication, the STORY GROUP (and, ultimately, Kathleen Kennedy) run the Star Wars universe. Not Abrams. Not Rian Johnson. Not any other director or writer. If Lucasfilm doesn't like the script, they'll pull it. If they don't like the director, they'll fire him/her. Abrams is one to play ball with Lucasfilm, while still giving us (at least) a good movie.

The JJ-Hate is strong in here!
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    valoreah wrote: »
    With this announcement, the official saga is dead to me. The best we can hope for now is for some decent spin-offs a la Rogue One.

^ I completely agree. Rogue One was great IMO. TFA, not so much.

I don't have a lot of hope for the Han Solo spin off. Wouldn't mind an Obi Wan film with Ewan.

A lot of parallels can be drawn between ANH and TFA.
    • Evil faction has a planetkiller
    • Hero came from a desert planet
    • Hero gets a mentor
    • Hero gets Anakin's Lightsaber
    • Mentor dies
    • An X-Wing kills the Planetkiller before it can destroy the base (Even a very brief Trench Run)

While TFA was a decent movie, if someone has seen the original Star Wars you can see the similarities in particular plot points between the two. The main issues I have with TFA is...
    • Rey is OP as hell.
    • Starkiller Base is a frickin' two shot Death Star on sterroids.

Point 1, we have to consider Rey's personality. She wasn't interested in the Force, and basically ran from it when confronted via Anakin's lightsaber. She had NO training whatsoever. And she was able to not only do a Mind Trick on a Stormtrooper, but pull the Skywalker Lightsaber out of Kylo Ren's Force Grip and proceed to fight him in a lightsaber duel. And Kylo IS a trained Force User.
    Point 2: Starkiller Base used the local star as fuel for its main gun. There is no indication that it can move. It is literally a two shot throwaway weapon as without a star, any plant life on the surface would eventually die, and the habitable parts of the planet will become unihabitable.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    ^I actually found it interesting which parallels they drew. They didn't just pull from ANH as released, they borrowed from a whole lot of concept art and early script drafts (for example, at one point the female Skywalker/Starkiller twin was going to be the protagonist).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    And I believe the T-70 X-Wing was based on concept art for the T-65s we're familiar with.
    rattler2 wrote: »

A lot of parallels can be drawn between ANH and TFA.
    • Evil faction has a planetkiller
    • Hero came from a desert planet
    • Hero gets a mentor
    • Hero gets Anakin's Lightsaber
    • Mentor dies
    • An X-Wing kills the Planetkiller before it can destroy the base (Even a very brief Trench Run)

While TFA was a decent movie, if someone has seen the original Star Wars you can see the similarities in particular plot points between the two. The main issues I have with TFA is...
    • Rey is OP as hell.
    • Starkiller Base is a frickin' two shot Death Star on sterroids.

Point 1, we have to consider Rey's personality. She wasn't interested in the Force, and basically ran from it when confronted via Anakin's lightsaber. She had NO training whatsoever. And she was able to not only do a Mind Trick on a Stormtrooper, but pull the Skywalker Lightsaber out of Kylo Ren's Force Grip and proceed to fight him in a lightsaber duel. And Kylo IS a trained Force User.
    Point 2: Starkiller Base used the local star as fuel for its main gun. There is no indication that it can move. It is literally a two shot throwaway weapon as without a star, any plant life on the surface would eventually die, and the habitable parts of the planet will become unihabitable.

Sharing story beats is one thing... even major plot points... but TFA is not a complete rehash of ANH. Some of those story beats, while admittedly similar, do not EXACTLY copy the parallel scene/theme/device from ANH. I wouldn't say that Han fulfilled the same role as Obi-Wan (Kenobi was more mentor/teacher/sage, while Han was more of a father-type). ANH doesn't have an Imperial defector actively leave to join the rebellion. Rey is also not the one to make the "trench run" in TFA. In fact, her capture & rescue makes her a mishmash of Luke & Leia.

And, all of that said, NONE of that proves one way or another that Abrams was solely responsible for these decisions, nor does it prove one way or another that (if he DID make it happen in TFA) he'll do it in Episode IX.

I don't know if Episode IX will be good, or will end this trilogy well. None of us know that. I'm pretty confident, though, that the film will LOOK fantastic. Further, Abrams does seem to excel at character moments, so I also think that he'll handle any sort of Carrie Fisher tribute very well.

Anything else, in terms of judgement, is premature at best.
    Still doesn't explain Rey being OP as hell.

Given that we haven't seen The Last Jedi... which could not only explain this, but could set Abrams up with the necessary story beats to land Episode IX... I won't comment further, since it would just be fan speculation.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I'll still watch it.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    mhall85 wrote: »
    And, all of that said, NONE of that proves one way or another that Abrams was solely responsible for these decisions, nor does it prove one way or another that (if he DID make it happen in TFA) he'll do it in Episode IX.

When you factor in Into Darkness (which I actually did enjoy), you start to see a precedent developing where he takes an existing franchise, copies ideas and sometimes entire scenes from previous works within that franchise, and tweaks them a little to fit into whatever story he's trying to tell.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

actually I think can explain it... she not, everyone else is just embarrassingly weak.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    mhall85 wrote: »

When you factor in Into Darkness (which I actually did enjoy), you start to see a precedent developing where he takes an existing franchise, copies ideas and sometimes entire scenes from previous works within that franchise, and tweaks them a little to fit into whatever story he's trying to tell.

That may, indeed, be true.

However, again I will point out... the STORY GROUP (and, ultimately, Kathleen Kennedy) run the Star Wars universe. NOT ABRAMS. Yes, he'll have creative freedom to do what he wants... until he doesn't have it. That may sound contradictory, but it's 100% how Lucasfilm seems to be running things.

Further, it's a bit of a narrow view to assume that Abrams WILL copy from ROTJ, just because he MAY have done that in a few other movies. It's also a narrow view to assume that the Story Group will ALLOW Abrams to get away with that.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    nefarius2 wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    With this announcement, the official saga is dead to me. The best we can hope for now is for some decent spin-offs a la Rogue One.

^ I completely agree. Rogue One was great IMO. TFA, not so much.

I don't have a lot of hope for the Han Solo spin off. Wouldn't mind an Obi Wan film with Ewan.

I would absolutely LOVE it if it was a faithful adaptation of Han Solo's Revenge.

The old Solo novels will work as a film.

Then again, the only SW media I ever liked was the Lando Calrissian novels. ~shrugs~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg