test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do you Upgrade a Boff's Abilities?

Hello. I'm trying to figure out how to upgrade my bridge officer's abilities. Specifically, I'm wanting to go from High Yield Torpedo 1 to the second or even third level.

I've seen them on the exchange for ungodly amounts of money but they had to get them somewhere right?

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    There are 4 ways:
    - Some (not all) can be bought from the bridge officer trainer in Earth Spacedock (in the room under Admiral Quinn) or KDF First City Barracks
    - Captains learn to craft some career-specific manuals when you choose their skill points, so a Tac captain learns to craft some Tac manuals, Science learns Science, etc.
    - You can convert bridge officers into training manuals. Again, tac boff = tac manual. If you check the Exchange you might find a cheap tac boff who knows the skill. Buy them, say NOT NOW to joining your crew, convert them to a training manual
    - The exchange
  • telekill2012telekill2012 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Awesome. Thanks
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    High Yield 2 (hereafter HY) from the bridge officer trainer will cost 1000 EC - you might be able to find a Boff with it for less.

HY3 is crafted training manual only, hence the high price. (Torp Spread 3 however, can be found on Boffs, it is relatively rare though)

It isn't as simple as just upgrading though, it depends on what boff layout your ship has - If you want to use HY2, you need a ship with a lieutenant Tac boff slot, because HY2 is a Lieutenant ability, and HY3 is a Lieutenant Commander ranked ability.

Some other boff abilities go from Lt. through to Cmdr, and a few go from Lt. Cmdr to Cmdr - make sure your ship can actually se the ability you want to use.
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    For a captain to craft a manual it takes a padd, the captain having access to that skill and an open R&D slot. Padds cost about 75k ec, and bridge officer trainer prices are low, so look there before paying high exchange prices. The OP might even be able to make some pricey manuals.
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    > @postinggum said:
    > For a captain to craft a manual it takes a padd, the captain having access to that skill and an open R&D slot. Padds cost about 75k ec, and bridge officer trainer prices are low, so look there before paying high exchange prices. The OP might even be able to make some pricey manuals.

You are confusing career training manuals (e.g. Command or Pilot) will skill training manuals (e.g. High Yield Torpedo 2).
    HY2 does NOT require an expensive padd to train a tac boff.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Clear out all you need from the Trainer first, then craft, then buy from the Exchange.

Recently on one of my Characters I picked up the Andrea Boff from the K-13 holding and decided to make her my primary Engineer for all circumstances.

Crafted all four Specializations Qualifications and applied them.

Applied any Manuals from Inventory that I had and then from the Trainer I bought all Manuals available for all Specializations and Engineering both Ground and Space, except Tier II Manuals that have a Tier III at the same Rank.

I then crafted all Tier III Manuals for all I could, except Command as I was two Specialization points shy on that (that reminds me I can now so I gotta go back and do that).

The next step was to get any Tier III Engineering Manuals from other Characters on the Account that I did not have an unlock for on this Character.

[Note to self, the filters and organization for Officer Manuals in your UI stinks].

Next, Winter and Summer Event Manuals.

Final was to apply any Lockbox Training Manuals in Inventory and then to the Exchange for any others missing.

I'm sure poor Andrea's head was going to explode with all the knowledge sent into her brain.

Did I overdo it? Sure. There are plenty of Manuals that are marginally useful at best, useless at worse that I applied but I can experiment. You have so so so many Skill Points available and the EC isn't that much, except for Lockbox Manuals.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    ltminns wrote: »
    I'm sure poor Andrea's head was going to explode with all the knowledge sent into her brain.

She is an android, so I'm sure she'll be fine.

All that training you mentioned... that's half the reason I've not opened the TOS holo-boffs, I'd have soo much training to do! And I'd have to kill off a good portion of my current crew (or spend $ for more boff-slots).
    Post edited by dracounguis on
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    She'd be like the Alices from 'I, Mudd' and just shut down. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    To the OP: Please understand, that you can buy almost every ability**, up to Lt. Commander***, from your Trainer: don't let scumb*gs take advatange of you by selling them for 10x their value on Exchange.

**I said *almost* every ability, as some, like Kemocite-Laced weaponry and such come from a lockbox, and can't be found at your trainer.

***Trainer sells Commander skills too; but don't buy those, as they're only Tier II. For anything Commander Tier III, you either craft them yourself (if possible), or you buy them off Exchange.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I craft Commander abilities myself as I have several toons in all three careers. I buy most ens-ltcomm from trainer. If I have to go to exchange I don't get it if it's priced out of this world. Don't need anything that badly.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User