test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LeVar Burton, Season 14, and more details from our STLV Panel!

Comments

• aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    aten66 wrote: »
    I'd almost think if this sub faction ever came up, it would be the perfect foil for AoY, by being a group that ends up siding with the KDF side.
    Cardassians are actually a protectorate of the Federation. The post Dominion War treaty stripped The Cardassian Union of its military, only allowing them to keep a small planetary defense force, and made the Federation legally responsible for protecting the Cardassian Union in case of outside invasion by a hostile power.

If anything, they would also join the Federation given that they basically already are part of it.

Though, the Cardassians do retain diplomatic ties with the Klingon Empire, out of all the races the Federation and Klingons can do diplomatic doff chains with, the Cardassians are the only ones that can be done by both species.

I know the official Cardassian Government can't get involved, but I was more thinking Renegade True Way/New Link. As I said this is just one hypothetical instance that could work.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    ak255 wrote: »
    So desperate to keep this game alive!
    Oh please. If they were "so desparate", they wouldn't have been able to afford Levar Burton. Cherry picking at its finest, right here.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    and here I was hoping for something more appropriate to Trek.
    Lets see
    -Earth-Kzin Wars (Late 21st century)
    -Earth-Romulan War (2156 - 2160)
    -Federation-Sheliak Conflict (? - 2255)
    -Federation-Klingon War (2267)
    -Federation-Cardassian War (2347 - 2370)
    -Galen border conflicts (2350s)
    -Federation-Tzenkethi Wars (24th Century)
    -Federation-Klingon War (2372-2373)
    -Dominion War (2373 – 2375)
    -Temporal Cold War

Na, war and conflict totally aren't appropriate to Trek though!

I think he meant something like "diplomacy" or "exploring a new planet" kinda thing.

Though, those things do not translate well into Video Games where everyone wants to shoot at things with their Epic ship weapons and Booleans.

Though I think there should, at least, be some alkaloid to get by not fighting.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    and here I was hoping for something more appropriate to Trek.
    Lets see
    -Earth-Kzin Wars (Late 21st century)
    -Earth-Romulan War (2156 - 2160)
    -Federation-Sheliak Conflict (? - 2255)
    -Federation-Klingon War (2267)
    -Federation-Cardassian War (2347 - 2370)
    -Galen border conflicts (2350s)
    -Federation-Tzenkethi Wars (24th Century)
    -Federation-Klingon War (2372-2373)
    -Dominion War (2373 – 2375)
    -Temporal Cold War

Na, war and conflict totally aren't appropriate to Trek though!

I think he meant something like "diplomacy" or "exploring a new planet" kinda thing.

Though, those things do not translate well into Video Games where everyone wants to shoot at things with their Epic ship weapons and Booleans.

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    To be direct, if Cryptic fail to deliver a Cardassian or Dominion faction, then I'll interpret it as giving up on serious content updates.
    If this update was only to add a handful of missions, a Dominion Reputation, a GQ fleet holding and explorable Gamma Quadrant, then it won't be as much fun as a Dominion faction.

My secondary interest in having a Dominion faction is to get their ships, because there is no way to do so currently that is economically viable.

At this point, I truly don't care how new factions or playable species are integrated into STO, as long as it happens.
    I'm down to pragmatism at this point, if I'm playing as a Dominion or DQ ensign running around Starfleet HQ, then I'll accept it because I got that playable species I've always wanted and that is all that matters.
    aten66 wrote: »
    I'd almost think if this sub faction ever came up, it would be the perfect foil for AoY, by being a group that ends up siding with the KDF side.
    Cardassians are actually a protectorate of the Federation.
    If anything, they would also join the Federation given that they basically already are part of it.

Since I find the Klingoncentric storyline of the KDF unappealing, I do not think it is a good idea to make a faction where a player is railroaded into being only KDF.
    If the KDF failed to gain a significant amount of players, forcing a player to become one mandatorily just for the purpose of increasing the KDF playerbase won't be appreciated.
    That being said, I do support the option to choose allegiances like the Romulan Republic did, so a player can pick which faction they prefer to align with.

As stated above, the Cardassians are aligned with the Federation, so I think it impossible they'd ever be KDF only.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • spectrusregentspectrusregent Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »
    ak255 wrote: »
    So desperate to keep this game alive!
    Oh please. If they were "so desparate", they wouldn't have been able to afford Levar Burton. Cherry picking at its finest, right here.

"Afford"? Other than directing the first episode of Roots in 2016 and an episode of NCIS: New Orleans (yeah, hadn't heard of that NCIS either) in 2017 he's not exactly been busy due to high demand. Meanwhile the rest of the main cast has either been regularly acting on stage or starring in/directing movies and tv.
  • carguy1701#7145 carguy1701 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    I'll wait before saying anything.

Apart from Gordi had gained normal vision via the radiation in the planets rings, he then left the planet and lost it?

Sounds like Cryptic wrote the scripts for Voyager and JJTrek if this is true.

He said in Insurrection 'it may not last', and had the ocular implants back in during Nemesis.
    edited August 2017
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what people mean by 'a new DS9 interior'? If memory serves, the station is pretty close to how it was depicted on screen as it is now (save the exaggerations in width and height that are common to STO environments).

On a superficial level yes what we have resembles canon, but there is a lot of room for improvement. In particular the shipyard and exchange areas are bad, oversized poorly laid out rooms tacked on by long hallways in ways that don't fit into the structure. The security people are just standing in an open area without so much as even a console to their name, there are random collections of tables and chairs without even a replicator to service them, and there's a distinct lack of bank and mail consoles in convenient locations. Quark's requires a map transfer but isn't instanced on its own, the worst of both worlds. There are other problems as well I'm sure, but those are the most pressing concerns I can think of readily.

That's not saying it's a -bad- map, actually the fact that it's "good enough" is why they've felt they could safely delay updating it while they've had more pressing concerns. It could be far better, though, and it's nowhere near the standards the current design team is capable of. I fully believe that once players see the improved map (presuming they are indeed doing one) they will be stunned and amazed just how good it will be. This crew is just that damned good, and I'm sure they're looking forward to showing off their skills on such an iconic and beloved location. Even those like me who don't like DS9 will appreciate the improved aesthetics and ease of use.​​

Oh okay. That's fair.
    tyler002 wrote: »
    knightnblu wrote: »
    Why is La Forge in a tactical uniform? He's an engineer and his uniform should show that.

That's a good point, unless it has been decided that captains wear red in STO now, regardless of specialization.
    That was decided quite a while ago, back when they finally settled on an official uniform. The 'Captain' part of the official uniform guide only uses red.

Oh okay. That explains why Shon has the white top on his. Glad I changed the uniform for my character to match.
    knightnblu wrote: »
    Why is La Forge in a tactical uniform? He's an engineer and his uniform should show that.

That's a good point, unless it has been decided that captains wear red in STO now, regardless of specialization.
    oh it was desided back in TNG (before that they wore gold during TOS) command division has always had it's own color and the CO of a ship wears that rather the the color of the department he or she was orginally from, I mean Janeway was orginally a science officer IIRC and yet she wore red as the CO of USS Voyager, same with Geordi when he commanded the USS Challenger in the alternative future. Red=command in TNG onward (in STO tactical department also adapts that color but command had it first), in the TV series tactical wore gold more often then red, gold in TNG, DS9 and VOY, red in TOS, TAS and ENT, note that TNG, DS9 and VOY lasted for 7 seasons while, TOS, TAS or ENT did not (ENT lasted longest of those at 4 seasons).

I know. Was referring to in-game. They had kinda sidestepped that for STO with red for tactical, yellow for engineering, and blue for science.
    rohna wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Nice but I still miss the visor... So Nexus huh? Shatner out of the question?

Personally i would only want that actor added as a non moving/ non speaking hologram used for target practice.

That's very, very rude. You got to respect the Shatner.

He's likely upset about Shatner's little Twitter rant from a few days ago.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    It's funny how much people hate on Shatner for his rants but Takei has whined and complained about Shatner for longer than most of us have been alive and yet that's perfectly fine to most. I don't get it!
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I hope after the Star Trek Las Vegas convention Cryptic puts together an itemized list of the information that was released for easy consumption & learning from 1 source.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Hmm I am pretty sure there's not gonna be any Dominion content in the next season, it seemed like that was hinting on what would happen in season 15 or 16.
    Post edited by spiritborn on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Hmm I am pretty sure there's not gonna be any Dominion content in the next season, it seemed like that was hinting on what would happen in season 15 or 16.
    not quite. New expansion next summer.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    true and the update said that season 14 would launch in October so season that will be the next expansion will not be season 14, that was my point, that people shouldn't expect dominion content in season 14 as it will be launched months before the next expansion will be launched.
    true and the update said that season 14 would launch in October so season that will be the next expansion will not be season 14, that was my point, that people shouldn't expect dominion content in season 14 as it will be launched months before the next expansion will be launched.

Summer of 2018 seems very self-explanatory.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »

I had to reinterpret that for regional context. :D
    In my country, Summer means December. ;)

I assume it means the American summer, so would I be correct in guessing June-July next year?

400 million in one week???? :s
    What the heck could you craft that is worth that much?

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
    tilarta wrote: »
    jcsww wrote: »

I had to reinterpret that for regional context. :D
    In my country, Summer means December. ;)

I assume it means the American summer, so would I be correct in guessing June-July next year?

400 million in one week???? :s
    What the heck could you craft that is worth that much?

California summer, since that is where PWE and Cryptic are located. Summers in the northern hemisphere are usually July and August. Considering the time frame for the release of season 13.5, I'd guess something close to that date next year.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Thing is, they do have some experience with presenting alternative options - 'Mine Enemy', for instance, had a section where you could actually reduce the number of enemies waiting in an upcoming room by picking the diplomatic conversation options (how many of these were available depended on your Diplomacy commendation rank, and if you had max rank (and chose all the diplomatic answers thus available) there was an accolade for it (reference). It's also one of the few missions with career-track-specific optional objectives. Both of these are things I'd like to see return in future episodes...
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Are they going to do anything about the flagging Core Assault ques like reduce the amount of people needed for season 14?

I hope so.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Are they going to do anything about the flagging Core Assault ques like reduce the amount of people needed for season 14?

I hope so.

...looking into magic 8 ball... My sources say no

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    That's Magic 8-Ball©®!!! :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • feordilagorgefeordilagorge Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    Geordi, please! Put the glasses back on!
    Star Citizen: Pay-2-Win?
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
    * With purchase of another Hong Kong of equal or greater value.
    Geordi, please! Put the glasses back on!

I kind of wish they make a mission where something happens to our Captain's that temporarily blinds us, beamed back to his ship, and we are equipped with Geordi's old visor, complete with psychedelic vision, to temporarily help us see to complete the mission.