test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Return of The Dominion: The Speculation Thread

Comments

• aten66aten66 Member Posts: 650 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Except that the iconic Cardassian ships are lockbox.

As already mentioned, everyone forgets exclusivity. Just because they ARE T5/6 already, that doesn't mean you can't have similar, less powerful ships sans the unique consoles. And I imagine even if a Cardassian/New Link/Dominion faction was made, it would follow the Sub Faction role.

Another thing that would be interesting, is if the new sub faction was the KDF version of Agents of Yesterday. Perhaps splitting off at level 20, or 30, to keep the story from becoming conflicting. Maybe do a combination of Klingon and Starfleet missions, keep it different.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I'd rather see the new real estate in the Alpha Quadrant developed over another quadrant map.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 894 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    risian4 wrote: »
    STO has its own Vorta (though I forgot his name). ...edited, see above...

Eraun is his name. How many of you guys remember the Rapier where we first meet him?

One of the best NPCs in STO, second only to T'Nae, is Loriss, the Vorta who takes command of DS9 in the 2800 story arc. At times she is childish, as Vorta are portrayed in canon, but the character is powerful and sympathetic, (something so few STO villains achieve,) and she stands out as an example of a well written NPC opponent. I hope she's still with us when the Dominion Fleet arrives.

I concur... I rather fancied her as a protagonist in that arc.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    2be6ed970a09519969c4dac3305791a31468474642.png
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè

• somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 5,897 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    nikeix wrote: »
    I'd rather see the new real estate in the Alpha Quadrant developed over another quadrant map.
    They have already used most of the systems from the expanded map in one mission or another. Or they are Federation/Klingon Empire worlds, that have been well settled/developed for over 100 years, meaning there is nothing to do there.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 12,443 Arc User
    I don't think T'ket will be involved in anything. To me it seemed they wanted to move on and past the whole Iconian story.

The scene in that trailer is very similar to the cutscene right after the DS9 conference. It may well be the announcement of a revamp of that storyline. I know, it's unlikely, but far from impossible given how it seemed to be literally copied from the in-game material.

Whatever it is, I hope it's not just another war. The Dominion War was supposed to be a very real threat to the Federation's existence. In this game the only real threat was the Iconian one - all other fights were won without too much effort or losses. And even the Iconian War was never that believable so if they're going to do another Dominion War in STO, it will likely be disappointing and take away from the DW from the series.

And we know that we end up being allies eventually anyway so that's how I prefer things.

Agree - I'm sorry, but STO simply can't tell a Dominion War story as well as the TV series did and it wouldn't have the consequence that the Iconian war was (supposed) to have.

The last time we saw the Dominion they fought at our side and with that in mind, a scenario where they've come to the Alpha Quadrant seeking assistance from a threat beyond their ability to manage.

And whilst they are powerful there are a few things that could bring them down. Think smaller than fleets of ships. Cut off the Jem'Hadar from their Ketracel White. Have a scenario where something has happened to the founders which the Jem'Hadar/Vorta can't control. I don't know - just ANYTHING but another boring Alliance Vs Dominion thing!
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 2,262 Arc User
    I'd rather have a playable Cardassian faction on its own.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 6,773 Arc User
    Why all the fuss about what obviously is only going to be a revamp of the season 5 2800 arc.
    It'll be nice to see the new art, but that's all.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    questerius wrote: »
    Why all the fuss about what obviously is only going to be a revamp of the season 5 2800 arc.
    Cryptic has already said the featured series missions like Specters, Cloaked Intentions, and 2800, wont get revamps.

They are the only pre-LoR content, besides the Defera Borg Invasion Zone, that is off the table in terms of revamping.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 6,773 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Cryptic has already said the featured series missions like Specters, Cloaked Intentions, and 2800, wont get revamps.

They are the only pre-LoR content, besides the Defera Borg Invasion Zone, that is off the table in terms of revamping.

It's content from season 5 so it is more than likely they'll change their opinion on the 2800 arc.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 6,761 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    If the Dominion/Cardi half a$$ faction do not come now...when then? This is the right and only time for redoing Ds9 and all the Gamma quadrant expansion. It is coming and be prepared for it!​​

Never?

I've pretty much given up on a Cardassian faction...

Plenty of other factions they could of went with but instead we got a half arsed second fed faction.
    #WithoutRespectWeReject
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 8,927 Arc User
    Loriss? She's not available, she's my Vorta Aliengen Romulan Engineering Character. Some of her clones are Bridge Officers on most of my other Characters.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
    Judge Dan Haywood
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    storules wrote: »
    If the Dominion/Cardi half a$$ faction do not come now...when then? This is the right and only time for redoing Ds9 and all the Gamma quadrant expansion. It is coming and be prepared for it!​​

Never?

I've pretty much given up on a Cardassian faction...

Plenty of other factions they could of went with but instead we got a half arsed second fed faction.

Which is what a Cardassian faction would be: a 4 ep story that lets you choose Fed or KDF at the end, and from T2 on you're no longer Cardassian.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    They have already used most of the systems from the expanded map in one mission or another. Or they are Federation/Klingon Empire worlds, that have been well settled/developed for over 100 years, meaning there is nothing to do there.

Your and my definitions of "nothing to do" with the First Federation sitting there differ quite widely ;).
  • xayssxayss Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    remember there planet where the changers live the cap the new link . they live there but dont care rest of galaxy still they keep guard for jemhaddar
    nexus.jpg

edited August 2017
    patrickngo wrote: »
    the villain will be two-dimensionally villainous, and will moustache twist and twirl, while being totally oblivious to how badly he's losing, he'll make Mirror Leeta look humble and realistic by comparison.
    What villain in STO, besides Hakeev, and maybe the Breen, has actually been two dimensional?

-B'vat did what he did because he knew what would happen in the future, and thus, was maintaining the time stream.
    -The Devidians did what they did because that is how they naturally eat.
    -Sela did what she did because she, like most Romulans, had been effectively brainwashed since birth to believe those sort of things were necessary to maintain her people.
    -Obisek became a terrorist because Hakeev was trying to hunt his people to extinction.
    -The True Way believed their way was the only way Cardassians could survive due to the harsh environment of their world.
    -Laas's hatred of solids was based on the same prosecution the other Changelings suffered at the hand of solids, and the rest of the New Link were duped by him.
    -The 2800 were unaware they had been trapped in the wormhole for decades, and thought the war was still going on.
    -The Borg are a hive mind species with no free will of their own, and are thus unable to stop doing the things they were effectively programmed to do ages ago.
    -The Tholians have been shady, but STO has long suggested they are secret good guys, trying to maintain time itself.
    -The Voth only wanted the omega particles to save themselves from a losing war with the Borg.
    -The Undine were duped by the Iconians, and then pushed into it more by Undine Cooper who feared the Iconian's power. After being shown the truth, they promptly stopped.
    -The Vaadwaur had been tricked by Gaul, who had allowed the Iconians to infiltrate their species. Gaul himself really only wanted to get his people back from a bunch of space necromancers, and to rebuild his civilization which had been wiped out.
    -The Iconians were bitter that the races they had spent millennia protecting and helping betrayed them in an attempt to take their technology for themselves, a betrays that was only made worse when the few Iconians who survived lost their world heart, the datacore that contained all the information of their people, which meant they had no means to rebuild themselves on another world.
    -The factions of the Temporal Cold Wars all had been screwed over by the Alliance's use of time travel, but were then prevented from trying to undo that because the Alliance deemed it a "necessary" action to maintain their idealized version of the future.
    -Even Mirror Leeta is only the way she is because that is literally how her whole universe is. She isn't just evil and ruthless for the sake of it, she is that way because that is how everyone there is raised to act.

It's really not a trend in STO at all.
    Your and my definitions of "nothing to do" with the First Federation sitting there differ quite widely ;).
    IIRC, Tacofangs has previously suggested they have no plans to use the First Federation, they just put them there because that is where the Star Charts show they are.

As we know from DS9, the First Federation are reclusive, but friendly, and active trading partners with the other races, their main export being tranya. Based on what Kuumaarke says during her sector space messages about the new sectors, this is still true by the time of STO.
  • memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    The gamma quadrant has a Dyson sphere. I bet a very angry iconian and new Dyson ships with new upgradable protonic weapons. Whoot!
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    Okay, T'ket is acceptible if she brings a protonic weapon update. Cannons, arrays, and gear that defends against protonic as well as enhances it would make protonic a full weapon energy type.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,361 Arc User
    What if The Dominion is A Dominion, an independant nation within a larger Empire.

Like their could be a Dominion of the Founders, A Dominion of the Herq, A Dominion of another powerful race, all ruled by someone else, and this Empire of Dominions is in a civil war.

I thought of this based on how Dominions work in the real world.

Within the Commonwealth, what they call the British Empire in the old days, you have The Dominion of Canada, The Dominion of New Zealand, The Dominion of Australia, and so on.
    The gamma quadrant has a Dyson sphere. I bet a very angry iconian and new Dyson ships with new upgradable protonic weapons. Whoot!
    Nothing suggests the Gamma Quadrant has a dyson sphere.
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > memnoch#6978 wrote: »
    >
    > The gamma quadrant has a Dyson sphere. I bet a very angry iconian and new Dyson ships with new upgradable protonic weapons. Whoot!
    >
    >
    >
    > Nothing suggests the Gamma Quadrant has a dyson sphere.

It's mentioned in the iconian ark. I forget which mission. I believe it's the one you infiltrate with sela. She finds a reference in a computer.
    I want my t6 Dyson pack!
    edited August 2017
    It's mentioned in the iconian ark. I forget which mission. I believe it's the one you infiltrate with sela. She finds a reference in a computer.
    No it's not.

The only thing she finds reference of in the computers is that the sphere you are on now, the Iconian Sphere, is much older then the others, and that it's hiding in the Andromeda galaxy. She makes no mention of the Gamma Quadrant in that mission.

The only time the Gamma Quadrant is mentioned in relation to the Iconians is
    A. In the "Sphere of Influence" mission, where it is mentioned that the Iconians have been watching The Dominion, and their servants in the Gamma Quadrant have been keeping the Iconian Gateways hidden from The dominion. But no mention of a dyson sphere is made.
    B. Sela's recordings for the Iconian reputation, where she talks about being hunted by heralds in the Gamma Quadrant, who want to stop her from making contact with The Dominion. But again, no mention of a sphere is made.

The only three dyson spheres that are known to exist are the Solanae(Delta Quadrant), Jenolan(Delta Quadrant), and Iconian(hidden in subspace since the end of the war), as well as at least 3 smaller herald "shells" that aren't true dyson spheres.
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > memnoch#6978 wrote: »
    >
    > It's mentioned in the iconian ark. I forget which mission. I believe it's the one you infiltrate with sela. She finds a reference in a computer.
    >
    >
    >
    > No it's not.
    >
    > The only thing she finds reference of in the computers is that the sphere you are on now, the Iconian Sphere, is much older then the others, and that it's hiding in the Andromeda galaxy. She makes no mention of the Gamma Quadrant in that mission.
    >
    > The only time the Gamma Quadrant is mentioned in relation to the Iconians is
    > A. In the "Sphere of Influence" mission, where it is mentioned that the Iconians have been watching The Dominion, and their servants in the Gamma Quadrant have been keeping the Iconian Gateways hidden from The dominion. But no mention of a dyson sphere is made.
    > B. Sela's recordings for the Iconian reputation, where she talks about being hunted by heralds in the Gamma Quadrant, who want to stop her from making contact with The Dominion. But again, no mention of a sphere is made.
    >
    > The only three dyson spheres that are known to exist are the Solanae(Delta Quadrant), Jenolan(Delta Quadrant), and Iconian(hidden in subspace since the end of the war), as well as at least 3 smaller herald "shells" that aren't true dyson spheres.

Thank you for the correction. Even if it does come across as smug and self-righteous.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 8,927 Arc User
    You gotta expect that.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
    Judge Dan Haywood
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 47,891 Arc User
    T2 Cardassian Patrol Vessel = Galor light

So... a Hideki?
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    I would say that the new episode Brushfire provides some hints that point into the direction of the Dominion becoming our allies (otherwise that Jem'hadar would have been completely and utterly pointless). Martok might even play a central role in negotiations between the Alliance and the Dominion. As always there will be some major threat that cannot be countered by one single faction alone (Tzenkethi, T'ket, unkown race). Everybody will band together until victory is at hand.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 33,773 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »
    STO has its own Vorta (though I forgot his name). ...edited, see above...
    Eraun is his name. How many of you guys remember the Rapier where we first meet him?

One of the best NPCs in STO, second only to T'Nae, is Loriss, the Vorta who takes command of DS9 in the 2800 story arc. At times she is childish, as Vorta are portrayed in canon, but the character is powerful and sympathetic, (something so few STO villains achieve,) and she stands out as an example of a well written NPC opponent. I hope she's still with us when the Dominion Fleet arrives.
    I remember the Rapier, god was he arrogant. When he was speaking to us, I have a slight urge to punch him in his vorta nose :) That was years ago though. Who knows, in the next expansion, we might meet Eraun 6, who might be a bit nicer, and not so arrogant :)
    Read/listen to the optional dialogs at the end of Boldly they Rode. :D Sooo much fun! In one of them Loriss mentions that Eraun is "sulking" and amuses herself by "expressing fawning sycophancy on his behalf". Hahaha.. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg