test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ULC #38: Stardust, Discussion Thread

aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
edited August 2017 in Ten Forward
This is the discussion thread for ULC #38: Stardust

Please be respectful, and don’t forget to comment!

Comments

• aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    #/Breakthe10CharacterLimit
    Dang it, it still ate my Entry post.... Oh well, reposted it with correct links!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Well, well. These are kicking a few plot bunnies loose. Might be able to do a backstory piece for Eleya with "Only Ashes Remain", but I want to keep it short this month because I've still got that novella from last month to finish.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Working on a 'die hard' style one though may take a break for a couple of these prompts. Both the journal and the history one have already seeded some ideas. I like the idea of my AoY crew suffering through a Battle of Caleb IV reenactment holo.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Nice! The first one is a perfect fit for my KDF Captains.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    caught me by surprise here-didn't think mine would be chosen for a challenge.

I actually have a story set in mind for this prompt, which is why I chose it!
    > @patrickngo said:
    > caught me by surprise here-didn't think mine would be chosen for a challenge.

It's a good prompt: letting our characters actually fail and have to deal with it is not something often done. If he hadn't used it I probably would have grabbed it for next month.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    "Hard Facts" is giving me flashbacks of an old Asimov short, "Green Patches". That's not necessarily a bad thing, if I can handle writing a horror short...

("Green Patches" revolved around an Earth ship dispatched to a potential colony world to find out why the first ship blew itself up on the way home. They found that the entire planet's biosphere was connected into a hive mind, and each member of it was marked by a pair of green fur patches where one would expect eyes. Then one of the ship's experimental animals, a hamster, became pregnant despite the lack of any male hamsters - and all the pups had green patches for eyes. Then one of the female personnel came up pregnant. The captain ordered an immediate abortion, of course, and they headed home post-haste.

(Meanwhile, in parallel we have the viewpoint of a small creature that managed to sneak aboard the ship while the defensive fields were malfunctioning. It wants to spread the benefits of its life to the world these poor fragmented creatures come from, so it disguises itself as a small piece of wire in an apparently unimportant section of the ship - nobody comes there, and no current is flowing.

(The ship lands on Earth, but they have trouble opening the airlock. When the engineer goes to check it out, he finds one of the wires is missing a segment - and beneath that missing segment is a pile of ash, with one small green patch shining from it...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Well, I have my first prompt in a while churned out. Meet my newest Captain, the Joined Trill Zee, in her first ever appearance in... History in the Making. It seems Starfleet runs in the blood...
    aten66 wrote: »
    Well, I have my first prompt in a while churned out. Meet my newest Captain, the Joined Trill Zee, in her first ever appearance in... History in the Making. It seems Starfleet runs in the blood...

That's an interesting start, Daniels really has to get better about briefing. :)

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    edited August 2017

That's an interesting start, Daniels really has to get better about briefing. :)

Well, when you're bleeding internally, passed out from pain, and wake up in the future, I bet you'd forget to check your memories about time traveling too!

Seriously though, she'll probably remember Daniels and/or get further updates from her new companion... I mean Doctor. ;)
    > @antonine3258 said:
    > aten66 wrote: »
    >
    > Well, I have my first prompt in a while churned out. Meet my newest Captain, the Joined Trill Zee, in her first ever appearance in... History in the Making. It seems Starfleet runs in the blood...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's an interesting start, Daniels really has to get better about briefing. :)

And about locking down his superweapons.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

starswordc wrote: »
    > @antonine3258 said:
    > aten66 wrote: »
    >
    > Well, I have my first prompt in a while churned out. Meet my newest Captain, the Joined Trill Zee, in her first ever appearance in... History in the Making. It seems Starfleet runs in the blood...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's an interesting start, Daniels really has to get better about briefing. :)

And about locking down his superweapons.

There's a really excellent story of existential horror on Kal Dano, who's whole life seems to be arranged to be the singular creator of the Tox Uthat, imperiled into action so that the past can continue in such a manner he can exist. When I was messing around with that Ragnarok retelling, I was really debating whether or not my AoY char should punch Daniels. He ended up not, but it was a difficult decision.

• takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    Nice selection of prompts. :)

been a while since I last wrote for one of these - been on a Star Wars bent for over half a year - but I might see if I can come up with anything.

Also, nice stories, Patrick, StarSword. :)
    76561198160276582.png
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    Nice selection of prompts. :)

been a while since I last wrote for one of these - been on a Star Wars bent for over half a year - but I might see if I can come up with anything.

Also, nice stories, Patrick, StarSword. :)

Thanks. I decided a while back that Eleya's life story didn't really lend itself to a Happily Ever After: she saw a lot of pain and bloodshed, but she somehow managed to make it to retirement with all her limbs and her marriage intact, and managed to struggle through to a happy enough ending.

I am planning to finish the story from last month, but when Patrickngo and Knightraider resurrected the Masterverse this month, I approached Patrick about porting a story I started for "Prime Universe" Eleya into the Masterverse. This is "Sound the Alarm". We're going to be doing at least one more with MV Eleya as well.

Cast:
    • Crew of USS Kagoshima:
      • Lieutenant Commander Kanril Eleya, commanding officer: Jennifer Hale
      • Lieutenant Tesjha Phohl, first officer and tactical officer: Claudia Black
      • Lieutenant Bynam Ehrob, chief engineer: S. Scott Bullock
      • Lieutenant Junior Grade Terakrashli ch’Phanas, conn officer: Chris Petrovski
      • Lieutenant Junior Grade Henas Tislon, communications officer: Imani Hakim
      • Chief Petty Officer Cyril Harbert, chief of the boat: Michael Weatherly
    • Lieutenant Commander Jarkko Mäkinen, CO, USS Nazareth: Joonas Suotamo
    • Admiral Stephen Alcott: Dan Shea
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

TRIBBLE, I went in to fix a code bug and the forum ate the second part of the story.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    ****, I went in to fix a code bug and the forum ate the second part of the story.
    Well done indeed. and yeah, the hamsters running the forum servers seem to have been replaced by 'hungry hungry hippos' lately.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

****, I went in to fix a code bug and the forum ate the second part of the story.
    Well done indeed. and yeah, the hamsters running the forum servers seem to have been replaced by 'hungry hungry hippos' lately.

Got it back.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

I did something a bit different, using Alternate Reality char's that will eventually cross over (have to explain somehow about having a JJ trek Connie in game) :D more of just setting up the crew and introducing them
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

I did something a bit different, using Alternate Reality char's that will eventually cross over (have to explain somehow about having a JJ trek Connie in game) :D more of just setting up the crew and introducing them
    I am unfamiliar with this Captain, who and/or what are they?
    I am unfamiliar with this Captain, who and/or what are they?

she's new-being she's and her crew are from the alternate reality timeline. I didn't get much detail into her background as yet-as that will come in another story i'm working based on the Terminal Expanse mission-where the USS Kongo ends up on the wrong timeline after helping defeat the Sphere builders. she's not a biped like 99.9 percent of Starfleet, she's a hexaped-think Centaur, only fuzzy, with blue blood instead of red or green.

Nice to see a lot of entries this month. Here's another! Sigon, Deloss and Kronen in ULC 38: Only Ashes Remain.

In-story connections (spoilers):
    Lot of great entries so far this month!

Gonna need a volunteer to pick prompts for ULC 39, my hours at work are nuts this week. October will be a redux.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Solaris has a timely response to a distress call ... or did they?

Slowly catching up. Admittedly, I had to make up some quick thing (McGuffin?) to make the story short. I hope you enjoy!

---
    Cast For Crew:
    Kathryn Beringer - Katheryn Winnick
    Anthi Ythysi - Monique Ganderton
    Omazei - Gemma Arterton
    Annika Kramer - Abbie Cornish
    Ian McKinnon - Ben Browder

Seen but not heard:
    Yeoman – Male street extra 1
    Solaris has a timely response to a distress call ... or did they?

Slowly catching up. Admittedly, I had to make up some quick thing (McGuffin?) to make the story short. I hope you enjoy!

---
    Cast For Crew:
    Kathryn Beringer - Katheryn Winnick
    Anthi Ythysi - Monique Ganderton
    Omazei - Gemma Arterton
    Annika Kramer - Abbie Cornish
    Ian McKinnon - Ben Browder

Seen but not heard:
    Yeoman – Male street extra 1

Nice little read as usual, Scarlet. Reminds me of "The Sound of Her Voice" from DS9.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png