test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Literary Challenge 37 Discussion Thread

starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
edited July 2017 in Ten Forward
This is the discussion thread for Unofficial Literary Challenge #37: "Witchcraft and Spycraft".

Can I maybe get somebody else to post /10characters in the entries thread so I can safely edit the link into it now that I've got it to stick? EDIT: NVM, I got it.
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
Post edited by starswordc on

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I had this idea for prompt 3 sometime last month, managed to slam most of it out in a writing binge last night. This is part one of Red Scar.

Cast:
    • Crew of USS Bajor:
      • Captain Kanril Eleya, commanding officer: Jennifer Hale
      • Commander Tesjha Phohl, first officer and tactical officer: Claudia Black
      • Commander Birail Riyannis, science officer: Ursula Abbott
      • Lieutenant Commander Reshek Gaarra, operations officer: Adam Baldwin
      • Lieutenant Commander Bynam Ehrob, chief engineer: S. Scott Bullock
      • Lieutenant Dul'krah, Clan Korekh, chief of security: Idris Elba
      • Lieutenant (JG) Arak Esplin, communications officer: Robyn Kramer
    • Penk, underground tsunkatse ring operator: Jeffrey Combs
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    Interesting prompts.

Probably won't do much here, been on more of a Star Wars bent since February, but this is still a good selection.
    76561198160276582.png
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Nifty start @starswordc - Eyela does seem the type to be more self-reflective when searching for herself.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Alright. Posted my take of the first prompt "Beware False Prophets". Enjoy!

I'm continuing to build my KDF fleet with the use of Captain Kronen here, who I introduced in the last ULC "In Their Footsteps". Of the Captains I have so far posted with in this fleet, they are Captains Sigon (Klingon) and Deloss (Gorn).
    Post edited by hawku001x on
  • aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    I'm alive! Who knew?

@starswordc I like the start, and want to know where this is going...

@hawku001x I just knew you'd do something like this.... And a new character? Or one I just don't remember?
    aten66 wrote: »
    I'm alive! Who knew?

@hawku001x I just knew you'd do something like this.... And a new character? Or one I just don't remember?

Haha. Yep! He's new. I used him for the first time in ULC 36: In Their Footsteps. Here are the pics and profiles of all the KDF Captains I've used so far (just cuz I thought it'd be fun to recap):

IKS%2BKragoth%2B-%2BMenchez%2B1.jpgIKS%2BBaetal%2B-%2BSigon%2B4.jpgIKS%2BMasamune%2B-%2BDeloss%2B3.jpgIKS%2BDragunov%2B-%2BKronen%2B2.jpg

From left to right:
    • Menchez, last seen temporarily hijacking Captain Sigon's ship and then taking on the Kazon-Rokka (ULC 28). He also previously fought his undead crew (LC 68) and was a participant in an imitation Winter Wonderland (LC 69).
    • Sigon, Captain of the Kurak-class I.K.S. Baetal, he's a party-goer Klingon who invaded Raatooras annually (ULC 17) and was once pregnant with Tribble (ULC 26), now semi-apathetic after drunk-denying Menchez an honourable death (ULC 28).
    • Deloss, Captain of the Bortasqu'-class I.K.S. Masamune, an enthusiastic Gorn, trying to fit in with Klingon culture, who, by pure ingenuity, escaped an alternate reality (ULC 30), but accidentally released a Moriarty hologram on the universe (ULC 31).
    • Kronen, Captain of the Birok-class I.K.S. Dragunov, a gritty Ferasan with a reverence for Klingon history and Kahless (ULC 36), who's Mirror double was a Mirror Emissary (ULC 37).
    hawku001x wrote: »

I'm continuing to build my KDF fleet with the use of Captain Kronen here, who I introduced in the last ULC "In Their Footsteps". Of the Captains I have so far posted with in this fleet, they are Captains Sigon (Klingon) and Deloss (Gorn).

Prophets: good at wormholes, bad at picking representatives.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!

True! Even worse at finding the right pants.

When all cause and effect is laid bare before you, all time is one shining moment; pants are sort of lost in the glare.

edited July 2017

When all cause and effect is laid bare before you, all time is one shining moment; pants are sort of lost in the glare.

lol
    Post edited by hawku001x on
    Red Scar, part two.

Additional characters:
    • Crew of USS Bajor:
      • Command Master Chief Petty Officer Kinlo, daughter of Koltek, chief of the boat: Kate Mulgrew
      • Lieutenant Rachel Connor, CO, MACO Unit 131: Michelle Rodriguez
    • Yatha, arena caretaker: Winston Duke
    • Draska, arena guard: Kevin Durand
    • High Justicar Mathan, Military Attache, Benthan diplomatic mission to Netheril: Bruce McGill
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Nifty start @starswordc - Eyela does seem the type to be more self-reflective when searching for herself.
    I'm alive! Who knew?

Thanks. This story came out of some of what went into the rewrite of A Changed World and the finished version of Two Sides of a Coin. It occurred to me that maybe Eleya's real problem is that A, having served in front line combat for so long in the various wars of the 25th century, she's allowed herself to become used to violence as a solution, and B, she secretly enjoys it, but is horrified at that part of herself and tries to bury it under her professional devotion to duty.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

starswordc wrote: »
    I'm alive! Who knew?

Thanks. This story came out of some of what went into the rewrite of A Changed World and the finished version of Two Sides of a Coin. It occurred to me that maybe Eleya's real problem is that A, having served in front line combat for so long in the various wars of the 25th century, she's allowed herself to become used to violence as a solution, and B, she secretly enjoys it, but is horrified at that part of herself and tries to bury it under her professional devotion to duty.

She does have a tendency to the direct and quick solution to an issue, yes. I do hope for her sake that her husband's emotional response doesn't cause issues on the rescue - the MACO squad leader seemed to be worried.

Ok, if somebody else wants to pick the prompts this month, they're welcome to it. I'm too busy.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Unless somebody else speaks up, I'll do it. Seriously though, speak up, I know you want to!

I'll get my ULCAnnual up by tomorrow/tonight, and if no one' said anything I'll put something together for #38
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Kathryn is transporting a Romulan delegation and everything is alright ... or is it?

I think my ability to play the game again has had the creative juices flowing :)

Rest assured I am reading the entries prior to my own in each prompt as I try not to mimic an idea for my own entry. I hope you enjoy!
    ___

Cast For Crew:
    Kathryn Beringer - Katheryn Winnick
    Anthi Ythysi - Monique Ganderton
    S'Rel - Morena Baccarin
    Ambassador V'Sar - Michael Fassbender
    Attaché Motira – Priyanka Chopra
    Security Officer 1 - Male street extra 1
    Security Officer 2 - Male street extra 2