What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What Do You Think? The Summer Event

12346»

Comments

• Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    The artifact scanner is still a right ( F-Bomb ) pain.........ooooh.......it's easier to find Sulu while wearing a blindfold then it is to use this thing.

The Artifact Hunt is dead simple. The scanner creates a pie shaped hologram with the point centered on you. The wide part points in the general direction of the Artifact. Take a reading, run a few meters and take another reading adjusting your direction of movement, once you get a general direction, then use this map: http://i.imgur.com/M7Ebg7K.jpg to find the Artifact drop location in that direction. Fly there, dig up Artifact and return it.

Using the map and getting to know the drop locations, I now have an average completion time of under 2 minutes for the Artifact Hunt. Once you understand the Artifact Scanner is like a less precise Tricorder,... it becomes trivial.
    ...snip...
    Better control on the boards, ever try to turn at the last part of the biathlon race only to shoot out of the lane and get DQ? Why is there a speed boost there anyways? It's as logical as Gordon Ramsey eating at McDonald's.

Use shooter mode to steer. Much more control. Jump or aim your reticle down toward your board to slow/stop and change direction. The one thing I'd like to see is a less wobbly animation for the riding of the boards. It seems unnecessarily unstable.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I aim for the rocks just after the speed boost and it jumps me. I also use shooter mode as corelogik said and point myself at the ramp on the beach. Dead easy, just get to the ramp and swap to floater when you hear the buzz that indicates you reached the right spot.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    liked it

I would like to see the next one award any one previously offered ship (one choice per account)
    If someone has all of them...congrats ! (award them 800 lobi (one ship worth)) if they have already
    unlocked the rest
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Me liked it. :)

18,000 favors. B)
    And probably made Qwen rich as heck with all those artifacts I found him. ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    BORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

You need to add more smaller games as in the winter event. Not just chasing around stuff but how about FUN PvE fights vs other players or something like a Sandman/Salt vampire?. Add some Fishing or some more watersports. Surfing is cool but already tiresome...​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    I feel burned.
    I can transfer anything between characters from this event thru my account bank slots.

...except the bind on purchase kit modules.

There's NOTHING to prevent a character from purchasing a module he cannot use, and no way to pass it on to a character that can use it. Like all other spec specific modules I expected them to bind on equip, NOT allow me to buy one I cannot use because my toon is the wrong specialty to use it, THEN bind to it on purchase.

What is the logic behind that ? Really, I'm dying to know.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I had fun this year, and even poked into the PVP Powerboard Races for the first time. Didn't bother with the Biathlon or Artifact Hunt.

You know, they should keep the Personnel Vendor around all year or move the Risian Doffs into the Event Store. Event items should be available all year. And for once the seemed to get it right, the new items from this year stayed in the Event Store after the Event was over. We shall see if they muck that up after future Patching (they have a tendency to revert to older code in some of these circumstances.

One of my Characters completed Master Relaxer, Orinthologist, and the Unauthorized Party Accolades in the last twenty minutes of the Event. After unlocking the Master Relaxer on a number of Characters, I decided to purchase the Rare Risian Doffs instead of the VR ones. 600 Favors for all three instead of 3,000. Another set of overpriced Summer Event items.

Another point about Summer Event Item costs. The Winter Boff Training Manuals, in addition to be much cheaper than the Summer ones, are all the same price regardless of Rank. Summer is not.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    truecreamytruecreamy Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I feel burned.
    I can transfer anything between characters from this event thru my account bank slots.

There's NOTHING to prevent a character from purchasing a module he cannot use, and no way to pass it on to a character that can use it. Like all other spec specific modules I expected them to bind on equip, NOT allow me to buy one I cannot use because my toon is the wrong specialty to use it, THEN bind to it on purchase.

You transfer Lohlunat favors to your other toons and buy things from the event store on them not pass the items around. Because nothing stops people from running over cuddly friendly epohhs in the winter..., wait what!?
    Pegasus Command FED/KDF
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I feel burned.

You also can't trade Floaters , Bird Eggs or Powerboards. Anything in a box is fair game to be traded, anything that isn't in a box is bound. It's like the Winter store or the Lobi store.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    There is nothing dead simple about artifact hunt unless you don't think about it. Look with an overhead view and keep spamming the F key and keep moving in the direction of the red cone. The map is just a suggestion and nothing is on hills or mountains.

Elite boards are hard to handle..., on a race course. That is why it's more fun. Anyway.

Next year fix the day night cycle. Add a Bat Watusi dance emote. Dance off should be in rotation more often. And the biathlon needs more flying through tiki stargates and the end.

Second time doing the summer event first doing powerbaord and artifact hunt. This was again fun.
    Pegasus Command FED/KDF
  • Options
    spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    BORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

You need to add more smaller games as in the winter event. Not just chasing around stuff but how about FUN PvE fights vs other players or something like a Sandman/Salt vampire?. Add some Fishing or some more watersports. Surfing is cool but already tiresome...​​

No thanks. Please do not turn Risa into a summer version of that dreadful Q's winter "wonderland".
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    I aim for the rocks just after the speed boost and it jumps me. I also use shooter mode as corelogik said and point myself at the ramp on the beach. Dead easy, just get to the ramp and swap to floater when you hear the buzz that indicates you reached the right spot.

A buzz? I never hear a buzz. Weird.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

Yeah, when you get to the ramp, whether flying through the air on your board or running, when you reach the spot you're 'allowed' to swap to floater, there's an indication that sounds like a buzz, at least to me. And when you pass through the hoops correctly, you get the same indicator buzz, kind of like those buzzers in some game shows. Maybe it's just too faint for you to hear. Sometimes I don't hear it either. But if you deploy your floater before you're supposed to, instant DQ.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I usually describe it as a "ding" sort of noise.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    truecreamy wrote: »
    There is nothing dead simple about artifact hunt unless you don't think about it. Look with an overhead view and keep spamming the F key and keep moving in the direction of the red cone. The map is just a suggestion and nothing is on hills or mountains.

Elite boards are hard to handle..., on a race course. That is why it's more fun. Anyway.

Next year fix the day night cycle. Add a Bat Watusi dance emote. Dance off should be in rotation more often. And the biathlon needs more flying through tiki stargates and the end.

Second time doing the summer event first doing powerbaord and artifact hunt. This was again fun.

There are several of us who don't spam the F key and try to follow the angles by a couple of different methods who somehow manage to average around 2 minutes per hunt. Must be that we're just lucky, I guess. It couldn't possibly be that the map is correct, not merely a suggestion. There are 2 spots on that that are most definitely on mountains, they're on fairly flat portions, but still on mountains. I can assure you that every marker on the map that was linked earlier is an actual dig site.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

Yeah, when you get to the ramp, whether flying through the air on your board or running, when you reach the spot you're 'allowed' to swap to floater, there's an indication that sounds like a buzz, at least to me. And when you pass through the hoops correctly, you get the same indicator buzz, kind of like those buzzers in some game shows. Maybe it's just too faint for you to hear. Sometimes I don't hear it either. But if you deploy your floater before you're supposed to, instant DQ.

OK, I hear the "dings"/"buzz" when going through the rings (or gates on "Flying High")....sometimes, and sometimes not. I just never hear the one on the ramp.

There was something strange about the sounds on Risa this year...music coming on and off, even during the Dance Party.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    After doing this event for a number of years already it is just plain old boring and dont see why Devs don't dedicate the time to get other mini games started. It is good for noobs but it gets old for those who have been here awhile IMO.​​
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »

There are several of us who don't spam the F key and try to follow the angles by a couple of different methods who somehow manage to average around 2 minutes per hunt. Must be that we're just lucky, I guess. It couldn't possibly be that the map is correct, not merely a suggestion. There are 2 spots on that that are most definitely on mountains, they're on fairly flat portions, but still on mountains. I can assure you that every marker on the map that was linked earlier is an actual dig site.
    Yeah, I built the map used on the wiki. Very few spots are inland, but some of them are pretty high up.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Okay, so a serious answer here.

I miss the night and day. I know it only happened because you improved another aspect of the game, that it wasn't intentional, but I still miss it. Still, the Event "games" still worked, so it's not a major "unworkable" flaw.

I'm glad that you added the Biathlon even though it's not something I'd ever excell at. More is better even if that more in not for me.

That said, I miss not being able to dance hourly.

Perhaps you need yet another "mission" next Sumer that will fill out the event clock to two full hours. Something that requires water ballons and/or water pistols. Something based on an old Risian myth about an anchient witchdoctor once summoned a sandcreature to attack the residents of the island because he felt that they no longer believed or followed the old ways. Somehow the villages figured out the only way to defeat the creature was to get it all wet, so they fill as many water bladders as they could gather and fought the creature. It fell to the ground once suffciently soaked.

Of course the entire event would be a holographic recreation for the vacationers to enjoy. Event the water baloons and water pistols would project holographic water explosions or water streams. It would all be good fun to defeat a mythological evil.

Or skip all of that and just have a free-for-all water balloon fight on the beach somewhere once an hour or something.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    What I think is it never lasts long enough. I've been here since Legacy of Romulus, done it every year, gotten every ship but one (mistakenly thought I'd bought it when I didn't, still have over 2000 pearls), and it doesn't get old for me. Every time it's over I'm sad and miss it. I always meet new friends on the dance floor, always have fun with the silly events and bask in the relaxing and beautiful atmosphere.

If it was up to me, it would run straight through the end of August.​​

Same here :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    anodynes wrote: »

You pick a spot shown on the map maybe one is there maybe in another spot... You find them at the first location you try? When the terrain goes up at an angle I find that the artifact is somewhere on the other side on a flat-ish area.

My only luck happened when I went over a rise with the floater spamming the F key and ended up being to close the to side, floater cuts out I land (that sound) and one was right there.
    Pegasus Command FED/KDF
  • Options
    indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    I love the biathlon! Not a big fan of the dance off or scavanger hunt. Next year can you run more than one event at a time so I can run the powerboard and skip the dance off? That would be very cool
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    After doing this event for a number of years already it is just plain old boring and dont see why Devs don't dedicate the time to get other mini games started. It is good for noobs but it gets old for those who have been here awhile IMO.​​

Each year my interest in the event got to be less and less, and this year, I didn't do anything at all except the five minute login each day for getting the ship. What really did it in completely for me this year was the total lack of a day and night cycle. At the very least we need both a day and night version, still not as ideal as how it used to be, but at least having a choice between that would be immense. I like night.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Elite Floaters need to have either their info updated to reflect they do not have Superior handling or be given Superior handling. They are fast but the have crappy handling.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    Dude, this is from last year. :unamused:

edguN8y.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.