test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] "Tale of the Witch"

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Rodek and his wife, B'irja, journey to the darkest reaches of Nimbus III, to gain the answer to a question, in our latest fiction blog:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10559524

Comments

• megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    So that's how it is. J'mpok isn't behind any of this and now I wonder if House Torg was always full of dishonorable scum. Maybe we will meet the witch and think they did say we might be given th mission by Rodek.
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    She's the witch queen
    Of Nimbus III
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I like Adet'pa. Honorable, vengeful, yet practical.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Meanwhile the Tzenkathi are still blowing up planets!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User

She's magnificent, I hope we get to meet her. B'irja seems pretty cool too, she's got that acid tongue all the best Klingon ladies have. Rodek chose well and got lucky.

Now...on to Martok.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Remember when we got frequent Featured Episodes to further the story-line?
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    J'mpok might not know any of this. So civil war is not an obvious outcome. Once he learns he didn't earn the Chancellorship honestly how will he respond? What of the High Council? Will a new challenge in front of the Council be required?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Remember when we got frequent Featured Episodes to further the story-line?
    why Yes, I do remember Spin the Wheel. Why do you ask? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    psiameese wrote: »
    J'mpok might not know any of this. So civil war is not an obvious outcome. Once he learns he didn't earn the Chancellorship honestly how will he respond? What of the High Council? Will a new challenge in front of the Council be required?

Martok was reluctant to become Chancellor to begin with. He's more likely to accept J'mpok as the Chancellor and encourage others to do the same to preserve the Empire rather than plunge it into a possible civil war. Martok will put the good of the Empire first. That is, if Martok doesn't die during the course of the upcoming episode.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    psiameese wrote: »

Martok was reluctant to become Chancellor to begin with. He's more likely to accept J'mpok as the Chancellor and encourage others to do the same to preserve the Empire rather than plunge it into a possible civil war. Martok will put the good of the Empire first. That is, if Martok doesn't die during the course of the upcoming episode.

Martok only took the Chancellorship because Worf refused to do so after killing Gowron.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Now I'm wondering if that stew is made of the giant worms or the giant scorpions. :p
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I don't know, this story sounds like J'mpok could be complicit in what happened to Martok. I was wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt, but after reading this part...
    “I have kept this secret for too long. I grow weary of it. Torg did what he could to discredit me, and J’mpok did nothing to stop him.

Why would he? To reveal that Martok still lived would come with many uncomfortable questions and demands. Blood oaths.”

“Indeed. And so J’mpok remained silent when Torg’s efforts led to my… banishment. They thought to kill me, quietly, once I was publically dishonored and out of view. They have learned I am not so easily disposed of.”

I believe J'mpok knows exactly what has happened. Especially with the bold parts. Why would J'mpok need to lie about things and try to kill an apparent witness if he had done nothing wrong? This reeks of J'mpok not having a small part in this whole affair, but rather a very large part.

If J'mpok really is in league with Torg, then I now have to wonder if Torg's whole Discommendation in the early Klingon levels is part of a long game being played by Torg.

Or maybe it's J'mpok coming to realize that what Torg is doing is taking things too far and is trying to distance himself from Torg. And if he isn't in league with Torg, it makes him look like a complete fool and someone unworthy of leading the Klingon Empire.

Either way, I now think more strongly than ever that a new Klingon Civil War is on the horizon.

It'll be interesting to see where this story takes us, especially since we haven't even finished up with the Tzenkethi. I see the Tzenkethi story taking at least 3-4 more missions to play out, but there is no news on when they are coming. Apparently not with Season 13.5. :(
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Now I'm wondering if that stew is made of the giant worms or the giant scorpions. :p

Neither. The Devs read Adet'pa's cook book, where else do you think they came up with the idea to grind BOff's into training manuals? :p
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I don't know, this story sounds like J'mpok could be complicit in what happened to Martok. I was wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt, but after reading this part...
    “I have kept this secret for too long. I grow weary of it. Torg did what he could to discredit me, and J’mpok did nothing to stop him.

Why would he? To reveal that Martok still lived would come with many uncomfortable questions and demands. Blood oaths.”

“Indeed. And so J’mpok remained silent when Torg’s efforts led to my… banishment. They thought to kill me, quietly, once I was publically dishonored and out of view. They have learned I am not so easily disposed of.”

I believe J'mpok knows exactly what has happened. Especially with the bold parts. Why would J'mpok need to lie about things and try to kill an apparent witness if he had done nothing wrong? This reeks of J'mpok not having a small part in this whole affair, but rather a very large part.

If J'mpok really is in league with Torg, then I now have to wonder if Torg's whole Discommendation in the early Klingon levels is part of a long game being played by Torg.

Or maybe it's J'mpok coming to realize that what Torg is doing is taking things too far and is trying to distance himself from Torg. And if he isn't in league with Torg, it makes him look like a complete fool and someone unworthy of leading the Klingon Empire.

Either way, I now think more strongly than ever that a new Klingon Civil War is on the horizon.

It'll be interesting to see where this story takes us, especially since we haven't even finished up with the Tzenkethi. I see the Tzenkethi story taking at least 3-4 more missions to play out, but there is no news on when they are coming. Apparently not with Season 13.5. :(

Or, Rodek is reading more into things that was actually thought. It's still possible that J'mpok new nothing. Or it's possible that J'mpok had rumors but no proof. AT the time, House Torg was powerful and had many friends. Moving without absolute proof would have caused civil war at best. I think that J'mpok had the smartest, and most strategic, move he could do at the time with what he actually knew.

And I do agree that Martok would leave the chancellorship with J'mpok once he returns. It was forced upon him, and he now has an honorable way out.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »

Neither. The Devs read Adet'pa's cook book, where else do you think they came up with the idea to grind BOff's into training manuals? :p

*BuRp*!! excuse me but adet'pas' BOFF stew was quite good :)
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    I know I shouldn't, but I think a Klingon civil war would be awesome. Looking forward to what is coming, and I really enjoy these stories!
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Please let this be a lead up to some Klingon only content! So tired of the endless Federation seasons. Ever wonder why the Klingon base is fairly small? Klingons have pretty much the smallest faction content in the game. Most if it is at entry level at that as well. Even the Iconian mission with the Klingon raid led by Khaless's clone was cross faction! GRRRRRR!!!!!!
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    This was great. More, please.

(We're not going to get any more content that's only for a portion for the playerbase, though. Particularly for - sorry, but I gotta say it, as someone with three KDF alts myself - a small portion.)
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Since we are all one big (somewhat) happy family now, I am sure that the most famous admirals from the Federation and the Romulans will be involved in any Kilngon war, even a civil war.......

Other than creating a new faction (please, please, please) I don't see Cryptic spending the time and money to create new content for a single, existing faction. Granted AoY was new Fed content only, but it was at least a (semi) new faction.

Having many KDF and Rom toons, I would absolutely love to see new KDF and Rom content, but even more, I want to see STO still here when I'm finally able to retire in ten years or so and have time to really play a lot, and basically wasting resources to create new content for just a portion of the player base instead of creating new content for all isn't likely to help keep the game going.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    Rodek remembers being a bekk?

Possibly a blog writer error, Rodek remembering Kurn's life and extrapolating, or implanted memories...

Things I want in STO:

• themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User

Possibly a blog writer error, Rodek remembering Kurn's life and extrapolating, or implanted memories...

Or he just joined/re-joined the academy late in life. There are a lot of possible answers, but a character whose sole notable attribute is persistent amnesia talking about his past brings up questions. Also, he has a new wife, which isn't a plot hole, it just makes me a little sad for the old one.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    arionisa wrote: »
    Since we are all one big (somewhat) happy family now, I am sure that the most famous admirals from the Federation and the Romulans will be involved in any Kilngon war, even a civil war.......

Other than creating a new faction (please, please, please) I don't see Cryptic spending the time and money to create new content for a single, existing faction. Granted AoY was new Fed content only, but it was at least a (semi) new faction.

Having many KDF and Rom toons, I would absolutely love to see new KDF and Rom content, but even more, I want to see STO still here when I'm finally able to retire in ten years or so and have time to really play a lot, and basically wasting resources to create new content for just a portion of the player base instead of creating new content for all isn't likely to help keep the game going.
    Honestly I'd prefer that cryptic remade the klingon intro and early missions before even thinking of making new KDF exclusive content, those are some of the oldest parts in the game at the moment and show it.

honestly I can't see any new faction exclusive content coming about, seperate responces or story branches within new cross-faction missions that I can see but I seriously dout there will be any faction exclusive content outside of the foundry be it for SF, KDF or RRN
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    uh what? the kdf intro and early mission are only 3 years old​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.

Or he just joined/re-joined the academy late in life. There are a lot of possible answers, but a character whose sole notable attribute is persistent amnesia talking about his past brings up questions. Also, he has a new wife, which isn't a plot hole, it just makes me a little sad for the old one.
    if you ask me "Rodek sort of remembering his life as Kurn and extrapolating from that" seems most likely, IIRC none of the memory wipes we've seen in Star Trek have been 100% effective so it's possible that "Kurn son of Mogh" is still in there just heavily suppressed under the indentity of "Rodek son of Noggra". It could be an intresting storyline to see what would happen in Rodek/Kurn remembered who he truly is, especially now that being of the House of Mogh isn't such a taboo anymore.
  • ultimus#1869 ultimus Member Posts: 8 Arc User

I just love that line Adet'pa says to them while eating the stew: “Good. Then let us finish this stew and leave this place. Nimbus III may lose its witch, but the House of Torg shall gain one, and she has many a cold, vengeful dish to serve them.”
    Very expressive writing there. Well done to Mr. Paul Reed.

• brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I love to quibble over details in each story, but I do have to agree with ultimus that the writing is top notch.

I also agree with badmoonrizin and others that Martok didn't want the job, hated politics, and would support Jm'pok. Something like, "He defeated me in single combat, then as rightful Chancellor has led you well and honorably through dark times."

I'd also hope that the Klingon Honor concept as portrayed in the various shows plays a role in the outcome. It seems to matter to one warrior.

Between the beginning of this story and its inevitable conclusion is an opportunity to build a season of content on the Klingon story no matter which faction you play. I wrote a Civil War post based on the Alliance point of view, but a more Klingon centered story such as a Recruiting Event would be fun too. Make that the new in game Klingon tutorial, including lessons on how to fight a BoP and enemies which cloak.

Then do a Cardassian Recruit event. And a Tellarite, a Ferengi, Andorian, Orion...
    they are?! they certain feel a lot older when you play them.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    they are?! they certain feel a lot older when you play them.

well it was done off the clockthat probably hurt it in some areas, and I'ld actually prefer they didn't touch them. I don't trust them not to mess it up some how.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.