test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trading in the exotic birds and monkeys for marks.

wondering why it is that when i go to trade the monkeys and birds in for marks, the competetive marks are advertised as one of the choices of marks given, but when i actually go to open the box its not among the choices.

Best Answer

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    Actually, it may be intentional... From what I recall in the past, the most recent reputation marks were initially excluded, but during the Summer Event they would be patched in later on. Unless my memory is going bad. Perhaps drinking at least 2,000ml of good quality scotch will help improve my memory.

Answers

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    'Cuz it is likely an oversight.
  • seabee22ndseabee22nd Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    do you reckon its an oversight that will be fixed, and thank you for responding by the way
  • seabee22ndseabee22nd Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    lol, thanks
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I want to say that someone said that there was a Dev post or twitter saying they didn't put them there on purpose, so as to make you run the Competitive events. But who knows, they may change their minds and put them there near the end of the event. But I doubt it. They don't seem to get things like this 'fixed' till the next year's event.

Which is funny since before the summer event patch I was getting them from Borg or Tholian Red Alerts. It was a nice/fast way for my alts to get enough marks (600) to just get the rep done.
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    I want to say that someone said that there was a Dev post or twitter saying they didn't put them there on purpose, so as to make you run the Competitive events. But who knows, they may change their minds and put them there near the end of the event. But I doubt it. They don't seem to get things like this 'fixed' till the next year's event.

Which is funny since before the summer event patch I was getting them from Borg or Tholian Red Alerts. It was a nice/fast way for my alts to get enough marks (600) to just get the rep done.

That's how I've gotten my marks on a good 6 characters. If their not in the RA choices,... then the rep can just sit there and rot as far as I am concerned.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    corelogik wrote: »

That's how I've gotten my marks on a good 6 characters. If their not in the RA choices,... then the rep can just sit there and rot as far as I am concerned.

Same. The only usable thing you get from the boxes (if you don't PvP) is the 10k ec.

Although the ship set you can requisition looks interesting. The 'reward' boxes are full of TRIBBLE, except for the ec.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    One could argue that the monkeys should give them, since the monkeys come from board racing.... a competitive event. ;)
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    kiralyn wrote: »
    One could argue that the monkeys should give them, since the monkeys come from board racing.... a competitive event. ;)
    This. The races were competitive "queues" before it became cool. [/hipster]
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User

I did.
    Sooooo...... can't get Comp marks for birds or monkeys, but you can exchange extra sets of daily Flying High event tickets for them. Hrm.

(Meanwhile, my first character has completed her 40-day unsponsored run to Tier 5 Comp.... with marks from Borg RA.)
    Sooooo...... can't get Comp marks for birds or monkeys, but you can exchange extra sets of daily Flying High event tickets for them. Hrm.

(Meanwhile, my first character has completed her 40-day unsponsored run to Tier 5 Comp.... with marks from Borg RA.)

It makes absolutely no sense, does it?
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    It actually does make sense. You can only earn 35 (or 40) marks from the Flying High event, so it's not seen as being able to get 'too many' marks. They want us to play the Competitive content, rather than use the creature raising DOFF missions to get them.

I completely disagree with the decision, but it does make sense from that perspective.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Yeah, it should have been both or neither I guess.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    seabee22nd wrote: »
    wondering why it is that when i go to trade the monkeys and birds in for marks, the competetive marks are advertised as one of the choices of marks given, but when i actually go to open the box its not among the choices.

not fixed yet? event almost over in a few days LOL​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They are not going to add Competitive Marks to the trade-ins. A Developer said as much that it was too early to do so.

You can imagine their unrealistic fears that people farming thousands of Favors and buying dozens of Eggs over dozens of Characters would get thousands of Competitive Marks.

This is quite different from past practice of adding the current Reputation Mark, though usually not at start but within a week or so of start. This probably is a result from their Metrics©® that people were earning more Competitive Marks from things not the CPVE Queues.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    seabee22nd wrote: »

not fixed yet? event almost over in a few days LOL​​

No, it runs til the 20th; we have 16 days to go.
    ltminns wrote: »
    They are not going to add Competitive Marks to the trade-ins. A Developer said as much that it was too early to do so.

You can imagine their unrealistic fears that people farming thousands of Favors and buying dozens of Eggs over dozens of Characters would get thousands of Competitive Marks.

...like my ten or so alts who each have a dozen purple birds waiting to trade in (for something) on the next-to-last day, you mean?
    <.<
    >.>
    /whistlesinnocently

Eh, whatever. I'll just keep doing Flying High and Borg RA for them. /shrug
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    a bit of it is down to spite though. the competitive marks thing didn't go over as hoped so they will punish longer than usual by hiding them. Of course anything that needs to be propped up like the 2 events we've had since the season began - those will get the competitive marks. Also, why are they in red alerts????? multiple personalities? error error.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Shuttle Event gave out the Competitive Marks like water. Two runs of 'Atmospheric Assault Advanced' and a sponsored Character would have enough to complete the Reputation from start to finish.

What is so Competitive about running Tropical Bird or Monkey mills anyway? Do you want the RSPCA (Risian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) all over your a*s? :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    COMPETITIVE racers, on your MARKS!

Please.
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    The Shuttle Event gave out the Competitive Marks like water. Two runs of 'Atmospheric Assault Advanced' and a sponsored Character would have enough to complete the Reputation from start to finish.

What is so Competitive about running Tropical Bird or Monkey mills anyway? Do you want the RSPCA (Risian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) all over your a*s? :)

Event's are meant to give you the marks, problem is that many think everything on Risa is the event, it isn't, running Flying High once a day every day is the event, so once you get the ship the remaining days can be run for bonus marks.

Everything else on Risa is filler content, designed to keep our sorry a$$es on the planet for more than the five minutes it takes to run Flying High.