test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Kobayashi Maru Event!

Comments

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Please let us use the poster ship as a skin for the Miranda
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
      I'll give this a shot.

Though I have to admit, I only have 1 character that uses phasers.
    • minidariminidari Member Posts: 125 Arc User
      So if i get this right winning is impossible but if someone manage to win it he will get 64000 dilithium ? :dizzy:
    • hotaru#3651 hotaru Member Posts: 18 Arc User
      Playing the Kobayashi Maru for at least three days out of the event’s duration will also unlock special limited-time rewards for you: the Prolonged Engagement Phaser Beam Array and Prolonged Engagement Phaser Dual Cannons

What does this mean exactly? Account unlock, which might be worth putting in the time, or per-character unlock, which definitely won't be unless the character specializes in phaser weapons (which, unfortunately, my main does not)?

Also, although this sounds like it might be fun, I do wonder what the point is of going to the trouble to create a new queue event and then only making it accessible for a few days. Or do you plan to keep it available after the event ends, with only standard queue rewards?
    • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
      It may return from time to time with other rewards - like CC, or Mirror Invasion, or Breach
    • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
      I hope the mission begins with the Kobayashi Maru audio recording from The Wrath of Khan!

That would be cool. :smiley:
      f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
      Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
      edited June 2017
      valoreah wrote: »
      Is there a "I don't like to lose" accolade if we are able to save the ship?

M0KpNhPl.jpg
      Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
    • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
      edited June 2017
      These weekend events need to die in a fire.

Some people have busy weekends, and can't make the event, especially when there's hardly any notice.
      Less than a week's notice isn't sufficient for people with lives.

The longer monthly events at least we know about a week in advance, and there's much more room for scheduling issues to make up for.

EDIT: Not to mention, this is July 4th weekend, and I'm sure a lot of US players have vacations planned.
      LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
    • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
      As for the new phaser variants - rather than single items like I suspect they are, consider either of the following options:
      • blueprint unlock (allowing players to craft them); or
      • dilithium store purchase unlock
      In either case, I would also suggest they be available in omni-array and turret flavors as well.

Kael confirmed on reddit that, like the Sompek reward module, the phasers are account reclaimable. Given the flavors available, they are also likely one-per-ship (like weapons claimed from reputation projects.)

Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
      Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
      Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
      I want the ship in the blog art! :)
      GrWzQke.png
      Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
      Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
      Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
      ----> Contact Customer Support <----
      Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
      Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
      Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
      Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    • hotaru#3651 hotaru Member Posts: 18 Arc User
      Kael confirmed on reddit that, like the Sompek reward module, the phasers are account reclaimable. Given the flavors available, they are also likely one-per-ship (like weapons claimed from reputation projects.)

That is good news, thanks! So I can do it with my almost-indestructible (but tetryon-equipped) Galaxy dreadnought instead of trying to do it in a phaser-armed Defiant with about fifteen hitpoints. Cool. Might even be able to spare some healing for the Kobayashi Maru itself, if the station in Mirror Invasion is anything to go on.
    • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
      pug this for 3 days and go zerg and hope KM gets blown up in under 30 secs... rinse and repeat for each toon on all accounts...
    • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
      I'm not sure if I can believe in this. :P
      Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
      I want the ship in the blog art! :)

Same here.

~In the Kobayashi test~

Mel: Awww, hell with this, I'm swiping that ship! >:)
      ~latches on tractor beams and takes the ship while giggling evilly~
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
      Please let us use the poster ship as a skin for the Miranda

Unless it is another variation on the Constellation-class ( the Stargazer ).
      sto.gamepedia.com/Heavy_Cruiser_Refit

ConstellationClass.png?version=05b9d71c90e741097c6b0c3895f7a985
      f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
      Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
      What would Kirk do?
      Cheat. I presume that option won't be available to us?
    • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
      I can see this will be a barrel of fun if its anything like pugging MI event.

That said, it's good to see it in some form given it's one of the more iconic trek lore things despite what jarjar did with it.
    • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
      tigeraries wrote: »
      pug this for 3 days and go zerg and hope KM gets blown up in under 30 secs... rinse and repeat for each toon on all accounts...

Won't even need to do that on all your alts, just pick one, zerg and done for the day. It's apparently an account unlock so that'll spare lots of time.

I liked the Sompek Arena, until about lvl 6 of my first run. After that it was just boredom waiting for things to spawn. I think the highest any team I was on made it was lvl 17 or so. Luckily the last day of that event the team I got got far enough to qualify for the reward and then we all died. Don't think it was intended but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
      Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
      so how much choice of marks will we have in the choice of marks?
      Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
      If it runs like Sompek... we aren't only going to have 3 days. Weekend things tend to start on a Thursday in STO.

I think I'll run my Temporal Recruit with her Megawell build Tin Can w/ a Golf Ball. Can you say... 24km Grav Well shenanigans?
      latest?cb=20130725193122

Bring it on Kobayashi Maru!
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 421 Arc User
      They should give us a third option - "Cheat-Mode" - let's us win the game and rescue the ship, by starting the event by selecting from a pop-up window what cheat to apply first, then after a few rounds of baddies, select a new cheat to add on to the event, until you beat the event and save the Kobayashi-Maru.
    • fmtucfmtuc Member Posts: 13 Arc User
      oh... A Miranda... Too bad it's not the Enterprise novel version...
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
      fmtuc wrote: »
      oh... A Miranda... Too bad it's not the Enterprise novel version...

Looks like a TMP era Prime Universe version of what we got a glimpse of in Star Trek (2009)
      latest?cb=20091118215845&path-prefix=en
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • shadowhearttshadowheartt Member Posts: 27 Arc User
      should be able to earn the Kobayashi Maru itself
    • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
      Okay, so... we got the Kobayashi event ON TOP of the Summer event, all the while T6 Connies are dropping from boxes and new admiralty is being released.
      Yes, I certainly will partake in all of it, no need to sleep or eat...
      TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
      Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
      Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
      While I have no illusions about that, it'd be nice to have some little tricks that give an accolade or a little bonus like:

-Typing /eatapple in the chat temporarily disable the enemy ships and make them blow up on the first hit, and you get an accolade and a "apple to smugly eat" device
      -Typing /iamkirk makes the current wave surrender and flee, giving you an accolade with the drawback being that a player can only do this once during a run
      -Typing /iamsaavik causes your ship systems to keep failing and your health and shield to rapidly drop until you inevitably die, earning you another accolade
      -Managing to destroy the Kobayashi Maru via friendly fire gives another accolade, acknowledging Calhoun's solution in a novel
      -Having a typing /icanchangethelawsofphysics results in a wave spawning more ships than the entire enemy can have (reference to another novel where Scotty tried a physic trick that didn't work in the real world, prompting the simulation to harshly punish him)
      -Typing /selashotfirst spawns Sela's Q ship that has more health (but pathetic attacks) than any other ship but grants you a bonus and immense satisfaction if you destroy it
      #TASforSTO
      Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1