test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do You Play Space Barbies?

fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
Simply put, do you play Space Barbies?

For those not in the know, Space Barbies is really mucking around in the game to customize your character. It may or may not involve C-Store shopping.
One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!

Do You Play Space Barbies? 149 votes

Yes, I play Space Barbies all the time
55%
ikonn#1068luqas99coldnapalmberginshorridpersonirm1963garaks31alexraptorrbaddmoonrizinallyoftheforcekurumimorishitamustrumridcully0angarus1dracounguisreyan01e30ernestkjwashingtonblitzy4lordsteve1bloodyriz 83 votes
Yes, but only when I get bored of how they look
35%
nightkentalonxvbernatkmisterperseuschestertrekwylonuswhere2r1kodachikunogeekysoldiertunebreakerspacehermitdragnridrthunderfoot#5163hoipoloinimbullcrm14916tarran61letsfadeawaygalattbaudl 53 votes
No, I do not play Space Barbies at all
8%
wast33rmy1081azrael605crashdragonatnquicksiliconpsychophxcricketlapprenticelavoozuulaltran3301bartimaeus#4158node31#9773dsafapoidsafsaf#5029 13 votes

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    hell yeah!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    hell yeah!

WOO HOO! I only started to really dig into Space Barbie-ism. I like being able to choose the old command uniforms, but I am having a very hard time with off-duty customizations. I can unlock them, but going from there is odd because there's tons of choices.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    Everyone plays space Barbie even if they won't admit it. Space Barbie is STO's true endgame!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    Yep. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • captainrc1captainrc1 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Sometimes when I get tired of playing the "good, clean, wholesome Starfleet Officer," I like to change my crew into mercenary outfits and fly around in the Miradorn Theta or some other non-aligned ship that I've designated to be their pirate ship. I guess that counts.
    zv66x44hmssm.jpg
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Most recent ground space-barbie transgression: customized a slave girl outfit for my orion sci.
    Space: unboxed some packs for a ship in tribble for some screens.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    I normally just use one of the preset looks and customize when I feel like it, or when I get sick of looking at their ugly mugs.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Creating a consistent look with minute details to the last BOFF is almost the whole reason why I still play and create new characters. It's usually limited to the uniforms and equipment as well as backgrounds and such because I like to take the BOFF as they come out of the generator, because that's "them" - only under special circumstances I really design the character model in detail (for instance, Tellarites will always get the TOS look and have to be changed accordingly, Lukari and Deferi are customized aliens and so on)​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    I do. I come up with a backstory for each of my captains and dress them and their gear out to fit into that backstory as mush as possible. Their individual "histories" also influence which ship I use for them, how it looks and what weapons I use on it.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    as a clothier, i do have a keen interest in what the population is wearing from day to day ...
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Let's see, there's...

Karatek, my Reman

N'Gora, my Fed Klingon

Misryath, my Frost Giant Space Wizard

Doctor Algernop Krieger, from Archer

Berek the Reaper, my Ferengi privateer

Owen Grady, from Jurassic World, complete with BOFFs of Claire, Barry, Zara, Vivian, Lowery, and human forms of Blue, Delta, Echo, Charlie, and Rexy.

Hriwa, my Mirrorverse Caitian

C'Rua, my Ferasan

Raquel Siobhansdottir, a Romulan Liberated Borg. Yes the name is intentionally human, as she's actually half-Romulan.

Oranux, my KDF aligned Reman who wears parts of the Hirogen armor as a trophy (he escaped from and killed the Hirogen pursuing him, taking his armor as a prize).

Stebaynir, my alien KDF officer who wears part of a Herald Thrall outfit

Zz'ig Ss'teenyne, my Gorn that wears a patchwork uniform that looks like a Crayola factory threw up on him

Zeus, the god. Not someone who thinks they are a god, nor a Sufficiently Advanced Alien, but the ACTUAL god in mortal form. Along with the rest of the Pantheon as his Bridge Officers.

To a lesser extent, there's:

Ruavu Deruno, my Roswell Grey shape shifter. Not so much him as his bevy of beautiful Bridge Officers who wear revealing outfits.

Byron Taggart, who has a Vulcan bridge officer who retraced the path that Mestral took on Earth and learned how to accept her emotions while not letting them rule over her (in my headcanon, Mestral HAD to learn this to accurately blend in with 20th century America).

So no, I don't play Space Barbies AT ALL.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    My main Fed toon, I basically have him in a uniform going back all the way to when he was a LT to Rear Admiral. I have my toon running around with the RADM rank, instead of FADM. Allows me to be flag rank, but keeps me with my flagship Tarawa(Jupiter class carrier).

But yeah some have a bunch of outfits, some only have 2-3. Just depends on how I feel.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    I try my best to make my characters look like what I do in my artworks.

It's fun. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • ktyrrellktyrrell Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    as you cant set the uniforms for npcs (in your ship or general) I end up using the standard uniform for Feds. KDF and Off-Duty is where the fun is B)
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I guess yes? I like to make all of my characters look unique and such. I don't just slap every character in the standard issue uniform...but I don't work as hard as some I imagine.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Of course!

Even with the onerous restrictions in the tailor cramping my style, Space Barbie is still the one of the greatest source of fun in the game.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I might be getting known for my cosplay outfits, and I made a whole Cosplay THREAD for sharing these creative outfits.

Hell... some of my best are, even though I main a Trill, Yang Xiao Long, Black Widow, Tanya (Red Alert 3), Sami (Advance Wars), Lucina, Yuna (FFX-2), and Erza Scarlet.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    just enough to make my characters look decent

only ones i really worked any significant length of time on are my factional mains (the kdf and republic versions of which are clones of the fed, so i only had to do work for one and just copy over to the other two) and the arcturus mengsk cosplay i made, which looks really damn realistic - to me, anyway​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    just enough to make my characters look decent

only ones i really worked any significant length of time on are my factional mains (the kdf and republic versions of which are clones of the fed, so i only had to do work for one and just copy over to the other two) and the arcturus mengsk cosplay i made, which looks really damn realistic - to me, anyway​​

The uberMengsk? Wow... And I got a Terran Ghost outfit.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Always - I love making all my toons look as untrek as possible and finding unique looks to 'explain' my loadouts - for example a certain engie wrist part combined with a certain tac armpiece and the big boxy eng shoulder silo makes for a convincing handheld torpedo launcher/grenade dispenser (chroniton spread seems to fire from the shoulder silo, cryo warhead from the wrist piece and the wrist parts jutting out section looks like it could drop a grenade into the users hand)

Or for minigun/boolean users, a power assisted arm brace

Or for melees, a power armored look mixing terran and assorted old kit parts with a shock glove for electrical dot on sweeping strikes

One thing I would love with a passion is if they mirrored all single side parts as it'd be little work for more possibilities

As to ship Barbie, whilst more limited, I do the same if applicable to my ships, the b'rel costume offering my kor bps more style, such as a sleek one for speed builds, a tanky well built look for epg (as epg would require more equipment) and an understated one for drain builds

I'm definitely one of those people who would pay 500z for a pack of assorted parts such as nacelles, solid colour decals (paint an entire ship red(!)) and so on (call it a salvage pack) - I would kill to be able to chop my energy weapons off my torpedo kor and bolt a set of impulse nacelles in instead before painting it fully midnight blue
    burstorion wrote: »

As to ship Barbie, whilst more limited, I do the same if applicable to my ships, the b'rel costume offering my kor bps more style, such as a sleek one for speed builds, a tanky well built look for epg (as epg would require more equipment) and an understated one for drain builds

I'm definitely one of those people who would pay 500z for a pack of assorted parts such as nacelles, solid colour decals (paint an entire ship red(!)) and so on (call it a salvage pack) - I would kill to be able to chop my energy weapons off my torpedo kor and bolt a set of impulse nacelles in instead before painting it fully midnight blue

I don't kitbash as much when it comes to ships myself. But I wouldn't mind having more options. I actually made my Scryer kinda look like the concept art for a Fed ship from the OLD STO pitch or whatever. Which is probably the inspiration for the Scryer in the first place. Just slap Phantom Nacelles on her and she looks a bit like that concept art.

And in all honesty... I do need more uniform slots. I'm only rockin' 7 right now. Also... I really should finish buying up all the C-Store uniforms. I almost got them all.

BUT WHY DO THE DL STORE ONES HAVE TO COST SO DANG MUCH?!
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Hmm, let's see... finally joined a fleet after playing for years, and earned 2mil+ fleet credits (between several alts) helping finish up K-13 T3, just to get access to the fleet tailors, have three rows of outfits on my Fed "main", dress up all my boffs (including themes like Elsa & her crew of Disney Princesses), customize my ships as much as possible, have bought c-store ships for the parts & materials..... yeah, I think so. :#
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    Why, yes. Yes, I do.

FED
    • Tactical LibBorg Male
    • Engineering LibBorg Male
    • Science LibBorg Female
    • Tactical Human Male
    • Engineering Talaxian Male
    • Science Joined Trill Male
    • Tactical Saurian Male
    • Engineering Caitian Male
    • Science Rigelian Female
    • Tactical Benzite Male
    • Engineering Bolian Male
    • Science Betazoid Female
    • Tactical Bajoran Male
    • Engineering Ferengi Male
    • Science Trill Female
    • Tactical Klingon Male
    • Engineering Pakled Male
    • Science Human Female
    • Tactical Alien Male
    • Engineering Alien Male
    • Science Alien Male

KDF
    •Tactical LibBorg Male
    • Engineering LibBorg Male
    • Science LibBorg Female
    • Tactical Klingon Male
    • Engineering Talaxian Male
    • Science Joined Trill Female
    • Tactical Nausicaan Male
    • Engineering Ferasan Male
    • Science Orion Female
    • Tactical Gorn Male
    • Engineering Lethean Male
    • Science Klingon Female
    • Tactical Alien Male
    • Engineering Alien Male
    • Science Alien Male

ROM
    • Tactical LibBorg Male (FED Allied)
    • Engineering LibBorg Male (KDF Allied)
    • Science LibBorg Female (FED Allied)
    • Science Romulan Female (KDF Allied)
    • Tactical Reman Male (FED Allied)
    • Tactical Reman Female (KDF Allied)
    • Tactical Alien Male (FED Allied)
    • Engineering Alien Male (FED Allied)
    • Science Alien Female (FED Allied)
    • Tactical Alien Male (KDF Allied)
    • Engineering Alien Male (KDF Allied)
    • Science Alien Female (KDF Allied)

TOS
    • Engineering Human Male
    • Tactical Andorian Male
    • Engineering Tellarite Male
    • Science Vulcan Female
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    To clarify, I mostly play space barbie with my ships. Space barbies with my character is something I do less often.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • atnquickatnquick Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    No, I do not play Space Barbies at all
    Isn't the default face and outfit what's canon?
    full_jpg.jpg
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Yes. Almost all of my current characters, ships and crew are themed in some way to fit some light RP/background idea more than some "meta" and modelled to suit. I do try to have it make sense for the game background though, no superheroes or FF/Warcraft escapees :)

Even bought C-Store and Lobi costumes and gear for that purpose. And i'm always tinkering with them to make them look "just right". Some days I think I spend more time doing that than playing the game, especially while setting up a new crew.

Most recently, a Lukari crew to fit the event ship and reworking my Temporal Recruit and her crew as STID Section 31 (with a 250 million EC ship purchase and C-store costume repurpose !). Takes a bit of head canon gymnastics to make it fit the storyline though, if I'm in the mood to go into that much detail.

screenshot_2017-05-15-11-44-59.jpg
    Post edited by irm1963 on
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    atnquick wrote: »
    Isn't the default face and outfit what's canon?

No, it's just the default :)
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    want devs to allow us to name the uniform or make names as "off-duty", courtisan, date dress, or "formal" for easy idenify, i find labeling way too restrictive.
    the list for dressing getting too big and they need customizable naming for regular daily uniforms, high rank officers jacket and other work uniforms, even we get festival suits.
  • carter60carter60 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    yes but thats when i wanna change looks or get new officers and i want them to wear the crew uniform =)