test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] Survivor Week 2 Rewards!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Check out the rewards you can receive by playing the Featured Episode, "Survivor," this week!

Full details here:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10459082

Comments

• Options
    hoffy1hoffy1 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Not all sources of +stealth are treated equally with the interaction of the 2pc set bonus. Some powers trigger the set bonus for the full duration of the ability, while others only last as long as the cloak lasts. Also some sources of stealth are excluded, like phasic shroud. Please have a look at this set and its set-bonus interaction.
  • Options
    foolishowlfoolishowl Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Perhaps it's far too late to say this, but I find this mechanic of encouraging people to grind through the newest content repeatedly does a disservice to the designers.

With this mission, as with previous missions, I enjoyed it on the first run-through, and was impressed with the detailed environment, on a second run-through, I was just clicking through the dialogues as fast as possible; on a third, I was barely looking at the screen. This isn't really replayable content: it's linear and obvious, so there's no variation in tactics to try out and no secondary puzzles to solve (that I could see, anyway).

Of course, no one's forcing me to do this, and I had to stop and realize that aside from the bonus skill point, I'm not really interested in the rewards.

But it should be obvious that this is not content that it makes sense to repeat over and over. I may enjoy watching my favorite ST: TNG episode again, but if I watch it three times in a row, I'm not going to enjoy the experience. So why encourage this?

I wish you'd work in some alternate paths more often, some mechanisms such as exist in CRPGs that you get a different perspective if you play a different way.
  • Options
    foolishowlfoolishowl Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Another thing that bugs me about this mission:

We have *two* firefights with the titular survivor that we're trying to rescue, which doesn't make sense.

There are other enemies to fight during the ground mission, which do make sense, by general CRPG standards anyway. So the "ground combat" box was ticked, reasonably well.

In the TV series, it's generally well established that high-tech weapons are incredibly powerful, that one hit from a phaser on stun will knock out a normal opponent. Of course, the weapons are not that effective in the game, for gameplay purposes, and that's somewhat justified with the body armor and personal shields.

But it pretty well breaks immersion that we've got a defenseless person who's just cowering as a squad of soldiers is pounding her with high-energy weapons, grenades, mortars, and orbital strikes for several minutes, before we get the dialogue where we try to reassure her we mean her no harm. Twice.

Why not have a challenge where we talk her down, using details we learn from clues in the scattered PADDs, rather than combat that makes no sense, thematically or mechanically?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    "defenseless" You mean the same person who threw grenades at me?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    foolishowl wrote: »
    But it pretty well breaks immersion that we've got a defenseless person who's just cowering as a squad of soldiers is pounding her with high-energy weapons, grenades, mortars, and orbital strikes for several minutes, before we get the dialogue where we try to reassure her we mean her no harm. Twice.

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF T'NAE!

• Options
    jag#1738 jag Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Wish there where directions on how to het to the episodes fpr the new guys, can't even find it to play!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    foolishowl wrote: »
    GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF T'NAE!
    Classic, but that woman isn't throwing grenades at the other passengers.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg