test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

new tv show Star Trek Discovery should be in STO?

Comments

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I read a novel which was basically West Wing, but in the Star Trek universe in the Federation post dominion war, it was really cool. That would have made for an interesting tv show.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Can't have First Contact happen 100 years before it was originally established which seemed to happen with the Borg in the Enterprise.

While the Borg and Ferengi in ENT annoyed me to no end, they did maintain the lore, barely. So meh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ev1taev1ta Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Can't have First Contact happen 100 years before it was originally established which seemed to happen with the Borg in the Enterprise.

While the Borg and Ferengi in ENT annoyed me to no end, they did maintain the lore, barely. So meh.

I kind of hated ENT in general, but this particular Borg episode seemed just so over-the-top gratuitous that it felt wrong. You mean Captain Archer didn't log this incident with Starfleet and nothing ever came up when searching about the subject? They could have neatly tidied it up by saying it was classified as some big mystery but like so many ENT episodes it feels like it trivializes everything that came before.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Maybe he DID, and Starfleet simply filed it away under "things we don't want to be publically known".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    but apparently they didn't file it away too well, since the hansens somehow managed to find out about the borg a decade BEFORE 'official' first contact​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    It's a painful contortion, but you can make it work if you squint. Kind of like the ENT Ferengi episode, nobody actually referred to them as Borg when NX-01 era Starfleet encountered them, did they? And the Hansens were civilians who never made it back home, so no guarantee of any Starfleet/Federation records of studying the Borg specifically, right? And yes, Q could have mentioned either to Picard, but it's not exactly out of character for him to withhold information.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    actually, no; the term 'borg' was never once mentioned in the episode

i just did a search through the regeneration script for the term, and no results​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I read a novel which was basically West Wing, but in the Star Trek universe in the Federation post dominion war, it was really cool. That would have made for an interesting tv show.

The novel is Articles of the Federation. Yeah, that was a pretty fun read :).
  • docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    ev1ta wrote: »

I kind of hated ENT in general, but this particular Borg episode seemed just so over-the-top gratuitous that it felt wrong. You mean Captain Archer didn't log this incident with Starfleet and nothing ever came up when searching about the subject? They could have neatly tidied it up by saying it was classified as some big mystery but like so many ENT episodes it feels like it trivializes everything that came before.

Dark Froniter made it pretty clear that Starfleet knew about the Borg before Picard did. So Starfleet had to get their information from either Archer log or the El-Aurian. There really no other way Starfleet could have know about the Borg. Someone had to tip them off and that someone wasn't Q.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    The timeline in Star Trek has been massacred so much from time travel that the Prime Universe in Q Who is different from the Prime Universe in Dark Frontier. So in Q Who, Starfleet had no rumors or knowledge about a bunch of cybernetic organisms that assimilate people while in Dark Frontier, Starfleet had prior information about the Borg before the events of Q Who in the new timeline. After all, the events of First Contact changed the past with that message the Borg sent in the 21st Century. So the 20th to 22nd Century in the first few episodes of TOS is not the same as the 20th to 22nd Century in Nemesis.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    akpa wrote: »
    I know is a long shot since the release date for the new series hasn't been anounced yet, but i was wonderig if we are going to see some of their new things into the game. Maybe like the Defiance show where you could win in game items from watching the show and entering the code from the screen?
    In this way maybe we can see new fans into the game if te show is going to be a hit, and i hope it will:D

I made this post more because im so on the hype train of this show and im sorry if im a lost cause:))

What do you guys think? is a good idea or a very bad idea? and why?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :p
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    I know is a long shot since the release date for the new series hasn't been anounced yet, but i was wonderig if we are going to see some of their new things into the game. Maybe like the Defiance show where you could win in game items from watching the show and entering the code from the screen?
    In this way maybe we can see new fans into the game if te show is going to be a hit, and i hope it will:D

I made this post more because im so on the hype train of this show and im sorry if im a lost cause:))

but why?
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps

but why?

Because STO will never be Defiance. In order to have that happen, they have to be in the same universe and time and Discovery is supposedly set in 2255 (10 years before TOS) in the Prime Universe not the STO Universe. The most we can ever get is the various uniforms, weapons, and ships in a Lockbox or C-Store and maybe have one or two missions that are based around Discovery just like what Cryptic did with the Kelvin Universe.
    Because STO will never be Defiance. In order to have that happen, they have to be in the same universe and time and Discovery is supposedly set in 2255 (10 years before TOS) in the Prime Universe not the STO Universe.
    Given that STO takes place long after the latest known event in the Prime Universe, and considers everything that happened in the TV shows/movies to be canon, there really isn't any difference between the Prime Universe, and the STO unvierse.

If it is not in a TV Show or Movie, then it is not the Prime Universe. We already have the Novel Universe with the Borg defeated and the Typhon Pact that takes places in the same time that STO established lore for. It is better to relegate STO and the novels to parallel universes and have the Prime Universe reserved for some future TV Series or Movie that might never happen than to say that the STO Universe is essentially the Prime Universe.

It worked for my sanity when the Star Wars Expanded Universe was discarded.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    The series will be canceled before we know it, it's already running into all kinds of production troubles. The timeperiod in which it takes places is to awkward & the feel is more JJ Abrams alt universe than anything prime.

Cryptic will eventually get its hands on the rights and try to milk it's content, whatever that may be - And yes it is going to have to resort to time travel plot again, and again.

CBS need to make a new series in the prime universe AFTER Voyager. However; Star Trek is dead on prime time television.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    stark2k wrote: »
    Cryptic will eventually get its hands on the rights and try to milk it's content, whatever that may be - And yes it is going to have to resort to time travel plot again, and again.

Cryptic could introduce a mission or story arc based on some new alien introduced in Discovery set in the 25th Century. We already have the First Federation that was introduced in TOS and nothing has been done to them since. There are other instances, but the First Federation actually has their world blocked off in the new Sector map so it is likely that some mission involving them will eventually be introduced. Also, they are more interesting than the 892-IV natives (Breads and Circuses), Yangs and Kohms (The Omega Glory), Iotians (A Piece of the Action), or Ekosians and Zeons (Patterns of Force).
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Because STO will never be Defiance. In order to have that happen, they have to be in the same universe and time and Discovery is supposedly set in 2255 (10 years before TOS) in the Prime Universe not the STO Universe.
    Given that STO takes place long after the latest known event in the Prime Universe, and considers everything that happened in the TV shows/movies to be canon, there really isn't any difference between the Prime Universe, and the STO unvierse.

If it is not in a TV Show or Movie, then it is not the Prime Universe. We already have the Novel Universe with the Borg defeated and the Typhon Pact that takes places in the same time that STO established lore for. It is better to relegate STO and the novels to parallel universes and have the Prime Universe reserved for some future TV Series or Movie that might never happen than to say that the STO Universe is essentially the Prime Universe.

You mix up canon with prime universe. STO is not canon since its a PC game not a official sanctioned and produced TV show/movie. Mirror universe as shown in TOS, DS9 & ENT and Kelvin timeline universe as shown in the 3 most recent movies are NOT prime universe but all canon.

You mix up canon with prime universe. STO is not canon since its a PC game not a official sanctioned and produced TV show/movie. Mirror universe as shown in TOS, DS9 & ENT and Kelvin timeline universe as shown in the 3 most recent movies are NOT prime universe but all canon.

When did I ever mix canon with the Prime Universe? If you have a video game or novel set after Nemesis, then it is not the Prime Universe, but some other parallel universe. The TV shows or movies specifically indicated whether an episode or movie was in the Mirror Universe, Kelvin Universe, or some alternate timeline. Video games and novels don't make the distinction that they are a parallel universe and not the Prime Universe.

If a Star Trek movie or TV series that is set after Nemesis comes out and is a continuation of the TV series and the majority of the movies, then it is in the Prime Universe. Therefore until proven false, Discovery is set in the Prime Universe just like any future TV series or movie that might come out not set in the Kelvin Universe or some other designated parallel universe will be part of the Prime Universe. STO, novels, and other Star Trek video games are set in their own parallel universes and are not a possible continuation of the Prime Universe.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    stark2k wrote: »
    The series will be canceled before we know it, it's already running into all kinds of production troubles. The timeperiod in which it takes places is to awkward & the feel is more JJ Abrams alt universe than anything prime.

CBS need to make a new series in the prime universe AFTER Voyager. However; Star Trek is dead on prime time television.

Was probably a bad idea to start it all off with that horrible ship that looks like a Starfleet/Klingon hybrid that a lot of people hate ...then show those *things* that are supposed to be Klingon...oh and can't forget that massive ship that looks like it's a ripoff of the idea of the Vengeance (At least the Vengeance looks right in the era...this ship looks almost as if it came from STO)

They're just digging their own graves...

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,112 Arc User
    ev1ta wrote: »

Right - you assume records can't get lost, deleted, etc. in a 200+ year timeframe.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    ^same with having the ferengi on ENT. Which may have been mentioned. I'm sure there are other examples.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I seem to remember TacoFang (or one of the Dev's) saying several months ago that They had already been invited in by CBS to get a sneak peak at the production of Discovery.

I would imagine that by this point, any "locked-in" production story/art/images/ships/etc... is well on its way to being happily adapted by the STO Team and on their drawing boards.

My guess is that by Xmas of this year, there will already be several factoids from DISCOVERY pushed into the game as well as visual images.

Especially since the actual shows production has been ongoing since last fall.

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User

When did I ever mix canon with the Prime Universe? If you have a video game or novel set after Nemesis, then it is not the Prime Universe, but some other parallel universe. The TV shows or movies specifically indicated whether an episode or movie was in the Mirror Universe, Kelvin Universe, or some alternate timeline. Video games and novels don't make the distinction that they are a parallel universe and not the Prime Universe.

If a Star Trek movie or TV series that is set after Nemesis comes out and is a continuation of the TV series and the majority of the movies, then it is in the Prime Universe. Therefore until proven false, Discovery is set in the Prime Universe just like any future TV series or movie that might come out not set in the Kelvin Universe or some other designated parallel universe will be part of the Prime Universe. STO, novels, and other Star Trek video games are set in their own parallel universes and are not a possible continuation of the Prime Universe.

*shrug* Ok.

Hey, I just explained how the distinction is drawn and what most ppl into trek understand when you use terms like "prime universe". Nobody will or should stop you explaining for yourself that STOs prime universe is a parallel prime universe or whatever you like to call it; but you might cause confusion (or topic unrelated know-it-all posts like mine :p ) by using it as a synonym for canon.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    "The novel is Articles of the Federation. Yeah, that was a pretty fun read"

Thanks.