test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

new tv show Star Trek Discovery should be in STO?

Comments

• hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I don't care what anyone says. The correct acronym will forever be TRIBBLE.

:D
  • docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    coolbatman wrote: »
    if it covers the romulan war period then it would mean more

Star Trek Discovery is set 10 years before the original series. The only way we get to see the Earth-Romulan War is in a time-travel episode or an anthology story arc. Bryan Fuller has denied that Star Trek Discovery is a anthology TV series, but that doesn't mean anything really.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    ST:D... kind of the same but different...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Lifelong star trek fan here, got really happy and psyched when they announced a new series. But to be honest, after everything ive seen and heard about what's going on behind scenes and seeing the schitty looking ship and the klingons revamped and that Brian Fuller got fired by Les Moonves and how Moonves doesnt understand star trek and wants to change it (ruin), im kinda hoping the project dies a horrible death and never sees the light of day. Star trek needs to be in the hands of a respectable owner and not cbs.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Star trek needs to be in the hands of a respectable owner and not cbs.

Those hands that held TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VGR, ENT, the TOS films, and the TNG films? Yeah, I can see why those would be bad hands :/
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Lifelong star trek fan here, got really happy and psyched when they announced a new series. But to be honest, after everything ive seen and heard about what's going on behind scenes and seeing the schitty looking ship and the klingons revamped and that Brian Fuller got fired by Les Moonves and how Moonves doesnt understand star trek and wants to change it (ruin), im kinda hoping the project dies a horrible death and never sees the light of day. Star trek needs to be in the hands of a respectable owner and not cbs.

Changing Star Trek can be fine as long as it makes sense, but I have more problems with the "Klingons" in the show.

st-disc-klingons-2.jpeg?w=705&h=270&crop=1

It is supposed to be 10 years before TOS so they better be some alien race that we haven't seen before. Either as a new enemy that someone mistakenly labelled as Klingons or as one of the Klingon Empire's subject races.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Cosmetic surgery overcompensating for the augment virus smoothing their foreheads.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Those Klingons are from an ancient sleeper/temple ship from before they had FTL capability. IIRC those Klingons are only part of the first two? episodes.

With that said, and in response to the OP, you better believe they(and everything else in the new series) will make an appearance in STO. If the name of the live server(Holodeck) and countless times the game has 'jumped the shark' haven't spelled it out for you yet, here you go:

STO is a Virtual Amusement Park.

It's a game, both literally and figuratively, where you can go to enjoy and spend money on the Star Trek multiverse. It's not canon, and attempting to take it seriously could be considered an excellent introductory exercise towards masochism.
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    The problem with Discovery is that it's probably going to completely re-write Federation history, because makers of new stuff rarely actually care about the previous shows and want to do their own thing.

STO has tried to make sense of the many, many shows and done an okay job. But Discovery will likely throw a monkey wrench into things.

And then they'd also likely have to wait for Discovery to be over with so as to not contradict that show.
  • curmecurme Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2017

starkaos wrote: »

Changing Star Trek can be fine as long as it makes sense, but I have more problems with the "Klingons" in the show.

st-disc-klingons-2.jpeg?w=705&h=270&crop=1

It is supposed to be 10 years before TOS so they better be some alien race that we haven't seen before. Either as a new enemy that someone mistakenly labelled as Klingons or as one of the Klingon Empire's subject races.

I thought the original tweet was corrected saying that those were not Klingons, but another alien race?
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Honestly I would have liked it to focus on the USS Enterprise F, it's a cool ship, I would have liked a heck of a lot more then what I've seen so far.

I think they should have accepted Netflix's offer to make the show, linked to the STO plotline (more or less).
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    akpa wrote: »
    I know is a long shot since the release date for the new series hasn't been anounced yet, but i was wonderig if we are going to see some of their new things into the game. Maybe like the Defiance show where you could win in game items from watching the show and entering the code from the screen?
    In this way maybe we can see new fans into the game if te show is going to be a hit, and i hope it will:D

I made this post more because im so on the hype train of this show and im sorry if im a lost cause:))

What do you guys think? is a good idea or a very bad idea? and why?

Please no. We've had enough past events (the show is in the 'past' right?) But as with so much other junk that was 'never' going to be in STO; I'm sure it will be here eventually. They already made the J for Christ's Sake...
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    akpa wrote: »
    I know is a long shot since the release date for the new series hasn't been anounced yet, but i was wonderig if we are going to see some of their new things into the game. Maybe like the Defiance show where you could win in game items from watching the show and entering the code from the screen?
    In this way maybe we can see new fans into the game if te show is going to be a hit, and i hope it will:D

I made this post more because im so on the hype train of this show and im sorry if im a lost cause:))

What do you guys think? is a good idea or a very bad idea? and why?

Yeah, we're likely to see some stuff eventually make it into the game. It will probably happen a good chunk of time after the fact, but it fits the license so yeah.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    if DSC ever makes it to air it should either take place either before TOS or far enough in the future that the 25th 26th and 31st century stuff is the PAST and is set in stone, and it should then be able to do pretty what they want WITHOUT it sc.re.wing up anything that came before.

It is set 10 years before TOS which seems to be the worst place for it to be. Have to worry about Enterprise lore and not messing around with the lore about the other series. Can't have First Contact happen 100 years before it was originally established which seemed to happen with the Borg in the Enterprise.

Setting it in the 25th Century or 26th Century would have worked since there is hardly anything known about that era. There is the Battle of Procyon V, but that should have been erased from the timeline.
  • akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    going in the past isnt going to ruin everything imo. there is a big gap in that period of time before Kirk where makers of new stuff can do their own thing without braking the timeline.
    i understand the concerns about making a series in TOS era and i have a few myself, but there is a huge potential as well. the biggest issue would be imo the technology. revamping it fully would seems wierd to the fans and not doing it at all would seems wierd to the rest of the audience. i think there should be some improvements on this but not 100%.
    e.g. in Gotham series they made a really nice compromis. we can see smartphones but old TVs. it feels like the old batman animation series but in the same time it doesnt feels like an antique

as for the STO, i say bring it all! :smile:
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    The problem with including TRIBBLE content in STO is that as far as I can tell most players won't have access to the new series so it won't mean anything - it'll be limited to US and pirate viewers. Then there's the fact that based on what I've read the new show is highly political meaning some gamers simply won't want to see TRIBBLE stuff. Wouldn't it be simpler, not to mention cheaper (!!!) for Cryptic to simply design their own new content?
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I'll be happy if we never see it in game :p

That thing, the discovery is a hideous monstrosity...and the other ship already looks like a ship they stole from STO (Not something that belongs in the 23rd century in a prequel to the Connie...at least the NX looked like it belonged in the era it was in).

The NX looked like a 24rth century Akira variant, not something from before Kirk's time.​​

Sure...it's easy to say that when you're clearly biased...but that thing called Discovery looks nothing like a Federation Starship except that it has nacelles and a Saucer.

It looks more Klingon than Starfleet...it doesn't fit at all compared to the NX and you're either blind or biased because you like that monstrosity.

Let me guess...you're a JJTrek fan?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It seems that writers for Star Trek these days feel that the post-TNG era doesn't really sound like a place of exploration and and adventure anymore - the Federation are the big guys, with highly advanced tech, intimiately familar with space travel and reacting to the unknown. A prequel allows to go back to a time and place where everything was new to to the humans, were not everything is established and well known, where mysteries await us, where we are still finding our place in the world. [/RandomThought]
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    It seems that writers for Star Trek these days feel that the post-TNG era doesn't really sound like a place of exploration and and adventure anymore - the Federation are the big guys, with highly advanced tech, intimiately familar with space travel and reacting to the unknown. A prequel allows to go back to a time and place where everything was new to to the humans, were not everything is established and well known, where mysteries await us, where we are still finding our place in the world. [/RandomThought]

[Looks over at the Lukari] Hmm. I feel as if the makers of STO might have noticed that's a more interesting place to have your protagonists too.

The proposal for a new animated series I've read about had a similar proposition. Trash the galaxy with hundred of omega particle detonations, plunge ALL the major powers into a relative Dark Ages, and then have a new crew/ship setting out from the Federation to explore the wild and dangerous battered wasteland.

By the end of TNG/DS9 the Federation was simply TOO triumphant to be a good platform for telling gripping large scale stories. And Voyager put a stake in the heart of telling gripping individual ship stories because it would always be hanging over the writers' head that 'a Good captain would break time itself for her crew'. Star Trek has steadily painted itself into a corner with tale after tale of 'we always win in the end'. Its no wonder we're coming up on two decades worth of backing up to earlier time periods or total reboots.

Again, CBS bet against the movies after the movies already showed that there was an audience -- a large, paying audience -- who would accept modernizing the look of tech, uniforms, and ships. And then there's Trek fan purists who are more concerned about 'do the ships in it look like they're even more primitive than the 1960s wood models?' over 'will we get to see a Star Trek STORY?'

At this point all of us who actually want to see it should probably all be thankful to Netflix: without their involvement, this thing probably would have been canned once that internal rift in the target audiences reared its ugly head.

Star Trek writers could always emulate Stargate Universe, Stargate Atlantis, or Sliders. It would be interesting to see how Star Trek's version of Andromeda is like or a TV series completely based around the Parallels episode from TNG.
  • lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    I'd say there's plenty of room for more Trek stories, it's just a matter of creativity. What about a Section 31 action squad for instance? Sure it'd probably mostly be 'ground' missions (so more akin to Stargate or something) but is that such an issue? There'd be room for investigating crimes, solving mysteries, assassinating enemies of state, and playing tag with Starfleet who wouldn't know whether the squad are good guys or not. Alternatively what about something post Voyager? Perhaps an experimental 'colony' which blends Klingon, Romulan and Federation territory together in an attempt to create an embryonic superstate. Toss in some Federation political shenanigans - an elite attempting to seize power and control the population, and the embryonic colony - call it the Confederation, would be critical to preserving the Federation as it's meant to be. Or send another ship, or fleet of ships, off to explore the Delta\Gamma quadrant. They wouldn't be as out of touch as Voyager, but it'd still be a long way home.

As an aside it wasn't the tech that turned me off the movies but the non-Trek stories.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Perhaps an experimental 'colony' which blends Klingon, Romulan and Federation territory together in an attempt to create an embryonic superstate.

they tried that already, and look at how it turned out...we're STILL cleaning up their mess on nimbus​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I'd say there's plenty of room for more Trek stories, it's just a matter of creativity. What about a Section 31 action squad for instance? Sure it'd probably mostly be 'ground' missions (so more akin to Stargate or something) but is that such an issue? There'd be room for investigating crimes, solving mysteries, assassinating enemies of state, and playing tag with Starfleet who wouldn't know whether the squad are good guys or not. Alternatively what about something post Voyager? Perhaps an experimental 'colony' which blends Klingon, Romulan and Federation territory together in an attempt to create an embryonic superstate. Toss in some Federation political shenanigans - an elite attempting to seize power and control the population, and the embryonic colony - call it the Confederation, would be critical to preserving the Federation as it's meant to be. Or send another ship, or fleet of ships, off to explore the Delta\Gamma quadrant. They wouldn't be as out of touch as Voyager, but it'd still be a long way home.

And the common element in all of those suggestions is "the protagonists DO NOT have the weight of the Federation behind them."

Wither its by controlling the scope of the story or picking a time period, the issue is the Federation is toxic to most storytelling because its too big and successful. We'd reached the point were it literally took the Borg AND time travel to threaten the Pax Rootbeerium.
    As an aside it wasn't the tech that turned me off the movies but the non-Trek stories.

I totally get that, though I felt the character interactions between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy was the beating heart of the early franchise and that essence was well presented in the new movies. But read the posts in this thread. Some of them boil down to "I don't like the new ship, so the writers should all catch Gonorrhea" as if the look of the tech weren't the single LEAST important thing about conveying a Star Trek story...

Hope, perseverance, IDIC, seeking out new life and new civ-...oops, wrong costume and you ignored one line spoken in episode #294, so BURN THE HERETIC!!!
  • drpain#3899 drpain Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    With so many time points to work with, we may have a few Star Trek series to enjoy in the future :)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I'll be happy if we never see it in game :p

That thing, the discovery is a hideous monstrosity...and the other ship already looks like a ship they stole from STO (Not something that belongs in the 23rd century in a prequel to the Connie...at least the NX looked like it belonged in the era it was in).

The NX looked like a 24rth century Akira variant, not something from before Kirk's time.

No it dosn't. They removed the nacelles (the main futuristic component), but the pylons on top, gave it very TOS style nacelles and a bare metal hull with primitive looking components and a basic TOS style deflector.
    True, it dosn't resemble the Bonaventure or the Daedalus (the only two pre-TOS ships we know of prior to ENT and the KT films) but it certainly fits the era far better and more realistically than those two.
    starkaos wrote: »

They have not been confirmed as Klingons by anybody of authority in any way. It's a post by an extra with only a passing knowledge of Star Trek.
    if DSC ever makes it to air it should either take place either before TOS or far enough in the future that the 25th 26th and 31st century stuff is the PAST and is set in stone, and it should then be able to do pretty what they want WITHOUT it sc.re.wing up anything that came before.

DSC is already confirmed as being pre-TOS and post-ENT.
    Let me guess...you're a JJTrek fan?

KT. JJ Abrams is not involved with the KT films any more. Also, all the ships from the KT films look firmly Star Trek and Federation, just like the ENT ones.

Nobody has seen a finalised version of the lead ship of DSC yet, talking about the concept art is pointless...
    latest?cb=20080318235741&path-prefix=en
    ​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    hanover2 wrote: »
    I don't care what anyone says. The correct acronym will forever be TRIBBLE.

:D

So we're going to see Kirk's dad make the rounds? I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all. :smiley:
    Green people don't have to be.... little.