What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sellback of patch-devalued items

2»

Comments

• Options
    ancientfighterancientfighter Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    you gain fame or self-respect for achieving new personal or player-wide DPS record

LMAO... serious dude...
    no one cares!!! if u weak or hit killer, u still a virtual name ONLY! if u be dead in ur real life, no one in game ll miss u.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    If things were nerfed to the point it became completely useless, I might agree. That's probably not the case though. Most stuff that is getting corrected will still be useful.
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    If things were nerfed to the point it became completely useless, I might agree. That's probably not the case though. Most stuff that is getting corrected will still be useful.

On tribble, 1 Plasma Exploder goes ca 20 DPS. No, you didn't read it wrong, it's not 20k, just 20. If you were using the consoles for sci stat boosts or manipulating aggro, they'll be fine, but Plasma Explosion part has been rendered completely useless.

But yeah, I got to agree with others, they are not giving you any refunds, it's all part of their business plan to nerf something into oblivion and then sell new power creep in next lockbox.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    you gain fame or self-respect for achieving new personal or player-wide DPS record

LMAO... serious dude...
    no one cares!!! if u weak or hit killer, u still a virtual name ONLY! if u be dead in ur real life, no one in game ll miss u.
    If no one cared, there wouldn't be people having created DPS charts and tools to upload combat logs. It's of course probably only the "this is one of my favorite past-time" types of caring for those people, but it's still caring.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I'm not really sure why they created the plasma consoles in the first place. I think maybe it was for Romulans? But they were never used that way too much. When people discovered how to get a lot out of them they were nerfed hard. But then they were given new life a while later for some reason. And now there seems to be a genuine animosity towards them to the point of salting the earth so they will never grow again.

Personally in their latest iteration I never got more than like 4 or 5 thousand from them so I'll actually be glad to switch to my old hull and shield healing flavors. I really only care about the particles.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I'm not really sure why they created the plasma consoles in the first place. I think maybe it was for Romulans? But they were never used that way too much. When people discovered how to get a lot out of them they were nerfed hard. But then they were given new life a while later for some reason. And now there seems to be a genuine animosity towards them to the point of salting the earth so they will never grow again.

Personally in their latest iteration I never got more than like 4 or 5 thousand from them so I'll actually be glad to switch to my old hull and shield healing flavors. I really only care about the particles.

Same here. Although I have like 20 or so of these consoles (all Epic, in various incarnations), I rarely ever slotted them, LOL, as I always seemed to have consoles I figured I need more.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »

On tribble, 1 Plasma Exploder goes ca 20 DPS. No, you didn't read it wrong, it's not 20k, just 20. If you were using the consoles for sci stat boosts or manipulating aggro, they'll be fine, but Plasma Explosion part has been rendered completely useless.

But yeah, I got to agree with others, they are not giving you any refunds, it's all part of their business plan to nerf something into oblivion and then sell new power creep in next lockbox.

They might consider to correct that then - I doubt it is their intention to make the plasma explosion completely useless.

Nice sig btw :)
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    In a game like this, meta changes. Meta change means some of your gear will lose power, at least when compared to other, maybe buffed, gear. New gear outdates older one. How do we calculate when something becomes "useless"? Or should we just give a refund on everything, because I'm not going to use a console anymore after I discovered a better one?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    and how are you going to calculate that when the amount of resources spent to upgrade ANYTHING is completely random?​​

People would complain if it was a flat amount, people would complain that others got more if it was a true % of what each person had spent. There's no good way to do such a thing, and no precedent for it. Heck, on my main and alts collectively, I've gilded at least 20 embassy consoles and 15 research lab consoles. Why? Because they were the meta and useful for what I wanted to do (post-rebalance, I'll still be using my [+Th] ones, except with shield healing rather than drain). Finally, I won't have to feel like I'm underutilizing my ship if I don't fill the sci slots with exploders.

tl:dr The meta changes, and we can't expect that what's good now will remain the best.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    starkaos wrote: »
    There was the old Science consoles that got nerfed and people were able to sell it for a bunch of GPL. That happened a few months after the game launched. Cryptic could do the same with "patch-devalued" items.

How do we even pick which ones are 'patch-devalued'? Some things went down in attractiveness, others went up. Even if they were to go with any degree of refund, how do you take a subjective idea and pick things to satisfy everybody? OP, if you mean embassy consoles, say that...not 'patch-devalued'.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I'm continually amazed at the number of people who are seemingly unfamiliar with how MMOs work, and with the fact that their precious build/gear/whatever can & will be rendered obsolete at any moment. It's just how these games work. Rebalances, expansions, level cap increases.... "MMO" is a thing in a constant state of flux. It's the nature of the beast. STO players were just lucky in that their "flavor of the month" build lasted more than a month.
    /shrug

• Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @evilmark444

They are going to be doing less damage, but that does not equal "useless & discard".
    Allegedly there will be an ultimate result of 95% total damage reduction from those consoles. That's the definition of useless.

I generally consider it a bad idea to throw something like that away though. I'll park mine on an unused ship. No sense in throwing them away in case things change in the future.

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    I'm continually amazed at the number of people who are seemingly unfamiliar with how MMOs work, and with the fact that their precious build/gear/whatever can & will be rendered obsolete at any moment. It's just how these games work. Rebalances, expansions, level cap increases.... "MMO" is a thing in a constant state of flux. It's the nature of the beast. STO players were just lucky in that their "flavor of the month" build lasted more than a month.
    /shrug

I'm more amazed how many people think they're some kind of master hagglers.

"I think you should give me this!"
    "Why?"
    "Um, just because?"
    "No."
    "How about because you feel guilty?"
    "I really don't."
    "Well then.... Whaaaaa!"
    "That sound's not going to make me give it you you either."
    "WHAAAA!"
    "Yes, yes. Your mother is trained to respond to that sound and make your boo-boo's better. I'm not. Answer is still 'no'."
    ((puzzled look the most reliable tactic in their arsenal for getting what they want has mysteriously failed))

• Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I think you are better off cutting your loses at this point and finding another game if you feel that badly about it. They got your money, don't let them hook you on another power creep just because it's Star Trek wrapped around a not so great game that has you spending more time waiting on timers, refining, etc.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I would like to see some ways to use and consume spare gear besides vendoring them, such as disassembling, modifying, combining or reverse engineering them to create new things. Preferably with a system at least a little more creative and thought-provoking than "pick a project from a list, pay the price and wait until it's done."

However, such systems should under no circumstances have anything to do with the balance changes or "the frustrations of players who have invested a lot into certain gear."