test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should the Urubians be a future enemy?

kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
If you don't know who the Urubians are, they're from this artwork:
urubian-1.jpg
urubian-large-merged.jpg?w=655&h=506

Basically, the Urubians (and they're really cool looking Frankenstein's monster ships) were created by John Eaves for STO back during Perpetual times.

So, do you guys think they could be an interesting new enemy for the game?

After all the wars, these guys must have tons of ships. :D
FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!

Should the Urubians be a future enemy? 39 votes

Hell yeah!
5%
tremere12gazdadude 2 votes
Sure, why not.
46%
nightkengardatf9thretxcsophlogimogaraks31daboholiclordsteve1nikeixliantheliapsiameesejexsamxash352tenderbitsasuran14sisko09tm706ashstorm1vadim959 18 votes
Meh, don't care.
15%
dragnridrthay8472kaggert27tyler002lopequilcactolith 6 votes
I would prefer not.
5%
tmassxlordmavys 2 votes
Hell no!
7%
dracounguissomtaawkharmarkhawkman 3 votes
The OP needs to get a life.
20%
kjwashingtonvegeta50024kodachikunocrashdragonaten66letsfadeawayscrooge69nikephorus 8 votes

Comments

• ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Sure, why not.
    Maybe at the level of occasionally brought up in a mission here and there. A race that uses all the debris from the various battles is an interesting concept but I doubt their ships would pose any significant threat since they look ready to fall apart on their own. Maybe a group that will trade us unique scavenged tech they've found all around the quadrant as they looked for more pieces to slap onto their ships would be a better use for them.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Meh, don't care.
    As good a choice as any, really...
    ...but I want Hur'q!
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    We need to survive the Pakled Invasion arc first.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    ash352 wrote: »
    Maybe at the level of occasionally brought up in a mission here and there. A race that uses all the debris from the various battles is an interesting concept but I doubt their ships would pose any significant threat since they look ready to fall apart on their own. Maybe a group that will trade us unique scavenged tech they've found all around the quadrant as they looked for more pieces to slap onto their ships would be a better use for them.

That's the thing though. Since they've salvaged parts from different races' ships they'll have resistances to those races weapons, and advantages against their defenses. You don't just get all the stuff in that salvage, you get the information about it too. For example, salvage the wreck of a Federation ship, it has some shielding components on it. You now know how federation ship shields work, and if you're smart how to find a way around them. Or if you picked up some Klingon weapons, now you can figure out a way to minimize their effect. Romulan ship? Cloak maybe? Breen ship's drain stuff? This example could go on and on until you have the most OP enemy that you can think of.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    Looks like the kind of enemy that we will need to team up with Malcolm Reynolds to fight. Or run away from. Really, either way works for me.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Sure, why not.
    jslyn wrote: »
    Looks like the kind of enemy that we will need to team up with Malcolm Reynolds to fight. Or run away from. Really, either way works for me.

Moment I saw it I was thinking a Reaver ship
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Moment I saw it I was thinking a Reaver ship

I hope they kill me first off.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Hell no!
    Weren't the Urubians from the future and come to take 'er jobs!
    806_image-12.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Actually... that looks a bit like the Risian Cruiser, just made out of junk.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Sure, why not. Right after we defeat the Mirror Universe Talaxian Imperium.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Meh, don't care.

I'm on it!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    almost voted 'meh' but that last option was too good to not use
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    As a faction concept in a game like STO this could work. Salvaging these ships and make hybrids of different designs we know making for unique strategies. For instance every faction has a signature weapon you can protect against. These guys would engage you with one group and have de facto rainbow builds that makes adapting really difficult. I like the basic idea.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Kazon?
    boldly-watched.png
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Hell no!

No, we need sentient tribble borg. They all join together to make humanoid drones, ships, etc.
  • aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    This doesn't mean I dislike the idea, quite the contrary, I like the design. Maybe a bit hard to come together with the exact detail they seem to show in the concept art. I'd love to see how they would handle Herald/Na'kuhl/SphereBuilders/Terran Empire/Gorn/Orion/Nausicaan/RSN/Borg ship debris!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Hell no!
    Yeah, the core problem is that for this idea to work you need a ridiculous number of combinations of junk, and it'd not work well if they looked radically different but fought the same. I think it'd work better if it was more subtle. Like how people build houses from reused materials and you have random bits of wood covering the front.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    So, they are the Borg, just crappier ? :D
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Sure, why not.
    qjunior wrote: »
    So, they are the Borg, just crappier ? :D

Why make them like the Borg? Make them as Reaver like as possible without upsetting any copyrights! lol
  • tenderbitstenderbits Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Sure, why not.
    Weren't the Urubians from the future and come to take 'er jobs!
    806_image-12.jpg

Derk 'r J'rbs!!