test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So what do you do for fun in STO?

This not meant to be a satirical thread, but an honest question. Star Trek Online has numerous things to do in it, but what do you enjoy doing the most?

On my Gorn Engineering Toon:
1) Goofing off on Defera just killing Borg Drones
2) Soloing The Big Dig
3) Using A2D in my Fleet K'Tinga and doing circles around things in space

On my Federation Toon:
1) Playing Starbase 24 Fleet Action

On my Romulan Toon:
1) Using the bug in the Thrai Dreadnought's Cloak to fly through plasma streams in "The Breach" without taking any damage and remaining cloaked. I did report the bug on the forums, but no one ever said anything about it.

All Toons:
Buying cheap boffs off the exchange and selling their manuals for thousands of EC over the price I paid for the boff.

Whats your fun?

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    Pretty much everything in game. I love the stories, the music, the visuals, seeing the various shapes and sizes of other players, especially of the 'alien' designation. Same with ships.....when I saw the USS I MADE THIS, I squeeed, since that was the name of the ship the fellow who made the Odyssey called his. I also love collecting game pets. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I like leveling up toons. I actually prefer the lower level missions because that's when the battles feel the most...... trekkish to me. Also in the earlier missions you get a lot more interaction with your Bridge Officers further adding to the feeling that you are a captain. Star trek actors doing voiceovers is cool and all, but once the Dyson missions start you really do start to lose that feeling you are commanding a starship and crew.

That leads me to the second thing I like to do when I am leveled up which is foundry missions. Pretty much the same reason and there are some pretty good missions out there.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot, and Risa when the summer event is around.
    sstosig2.png
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    walligig wrote: »
    I like leveling up toons. I actually prefer the lower level missions because that's when the battles feel the most...... trekkish to me. Also in the earlier missions you get a lot more interaction with your Bridge Officers further adding to the feeling that you are a captain. Star trek actors doing voiceovers is cool and all, but once the Dyson missions start you really do start to lose that feeling you are commanding a starship and crew.

That leads me to the second thing I like to do when I am leveled up which is foundry missions. Pretty much the same reason and there are some pretty good missions out there.

Yep...I sure wish I could have more conversation, or interaction with various STO characters, like Elissa Flores, or Tovan (dodges as an empty Romulan ale bottle is thrown at her). Even having cut scenes where you do stuff with your doffs, like a conference or something would be nice.

Oh, yea, I have a blast at the dabo table as well :)

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    I play featured missions when they come. Other than that hope for pvp to came back in playable form.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The moment I launch STO it's some form of "fun" or at least getting my time off because otherwise I wouldn't have it installed. But these days I either partake in events to scrape resources to save for my 2 member fleet or I create new characters entirely themed around some alien race (I have a Deferi and a Lukari character and crew for instance) and play until they are fully kitted out and have a viable gaming strategy (one is a drainer and one is a carrier/proton/drain hybrid).​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Seconded/thirded/fourthed what was said above about STO being a spare time activity, and thus mostly for fun. I only say "mostly", because sometimes you want to get stuff done and have to do other stuff you don't enjoy as much. Then I tend to sign off for fun ;)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    Alt-Tab, Right-Click, Close Window, Restart. It's about 70% of what is available in the game for me these days. It locks up on every attempted map change. So with most of my time is spent trying to get to any where I just don't have time to actually play anything.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    "Space Barbie is the real endgame"

I create new themed alts and give them matching costumes, ships, gear. Like my Mirror Universe defector who crossed over with his mirror crew and Paradox, or my TOS captain with TOS crew and retro phasers.

Besides that, I set up new ship builds. One captain has a Jem'Hadar dreadnought with Polaron set, another is going to fly each of the Herald ships in turn, then settle on one as his main. The Herald captain also has the costume and lobi weapon to give those Iconian minions a taste of their own medicine.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    fun is a blasphemy against the great meta and holy metrics... whatever random impulse I happen to have.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Most of the time I chat with my friends. Other favourite activities include helping other people and running rarely played elite queues.

But ofc, I wouldn't play this game if most stuff I do weren't fun. :)
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I build oddball ship builds and fly them...rp every now and then...try not to get angry over all of the unbalance and broken things...is what I do.
  • bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    I have one main (Fed/TAC, cruiser commander). I just cruise around sector space mainly, hitting what missons/encounters
    we come across. Also mission replays at random. Also play quite a bit of the "Foundry".

BCW :)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    3) Using A2D in my Fleet K'Tinga and doing circles around things in space

i do that with a bortasqu'​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I love messing with the exchange.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    grinding is very fun! of course, i'm almost certain you aren't talking about the kind of grinding i'm thinking of​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Grinding, farming, Exchange PvP, and anything that isn't fun. I don't do things for fun. FUN IS A FILTHY PARASITE.

I approve of this message!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I play new missions when they come out, and occasional instance runs ... the lack of new mission content means I take frequent, lengthy breaks.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I do all kinds of things. I even made a joke build on a T5 Excelsior I called the USS Gaseous Anomaly. You can guess what she uses by that name.

Funny thing was... it actually WORKED in PvE.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Dance on the bar at Quarks when a Subspace Radio DJ is around. Mostly go in to Red Alerts, ISA, CCA, GGA, and a few other STFs when I'm not doing the Facebook games of DOFF assignments and Admiralty which I've been slacking from because they're flat out boring content.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Laps on ESD. :/
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    For fun in STO?

Simple, team up with a friend or four and hit PvE.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    If I'm not having fun, is time for a different game.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • ancientfighterancientfighter Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    is fun to explore new worlds... (sarcasm)
  • merlinofliramerlinoflira Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    I focus on farming for dilithium and upgrading my gear to MK XIV. When I can I spend my time on building up my crafting skills.
  • tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Crafting, stories, admiralty, queues some of the time, ground missions, encounters or just working on character and ship builds trying out different setups.