test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

let players get married for RP?

yeah i was just thinking it would be cool if they let players get married for RP.

then if they get tired of it later and decide to break up both players could get half of each others stuff.

maybe if there are ships involved each person could get to use it each week?

and how many players should be able to get married to each other or should it just be 2?

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Have a system announcement too ... I'm sure the players would appreciate it.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Personally, I prefer "no"...

Make-believe marriage just should not be encouraged.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Eh... I'm more inclined to say no myself. RPers don't need a game mechanic or system to handle things like that. Its all part of their story they're making. And who knows, maybe a player is in more than one RP, one where that particular character is married, and when that group isn't on, is in another group where that character is NOT married.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    They did this in iRO back in the day... needless to say it was quite silly with the announcements.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Want people to know you're married? Write it in your character profile and call it a day!
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I don't know if this stupid or silly.

Maybe it is stupidly silly... Or sillily stupid...

Dunno...
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    have married characters get XP bonuses when teamed, like in ESO​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    I've been married twice. Why on earth would you want this in game?
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Perhaps they could sell a "just married" with tin cans non-combat pet for your ships :)

We already get enough in-game announcements, no need for more spam.
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    yeah i was just thinking it would be cool if they let players get married for RP.

then if they get tired of it later and decide to break up both players could get half of each others stuff.

and how many players should be able to get married to each other or should it just be 2?

No. Just no.

The custody battle over T6 ships alone would melt the game servers.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

There are no rules against it so it is already allowed.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    The tools for that are already in game including changing the last name of one's character. The winner in a divorce in Star Trek marriages is who hires the Klingon lawyer first to kill the spouses lawyer in Honorable Court.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Another word for this: bound-item account transfer. It's probably safest just to let RP players RP. Tweaking gameplay mechanics isn't necessary to support that.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    THIS IS NO SECOND LIFE
    nexus.jpg

• jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    I am fairly sure RPers could simply RP a marriage. They are, after all, RPers. Role-Playing is what they do. They could make themselves a fancy-pants secondary uniform and have at it. If they feel the need to go all-out, they could buy a Rename Token and hyphenate their last name. I don't see a particular need to make it a game mechanic.

Also, there is a separate forum for making game suggestions.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I prefer to stay single and promiscuous. :p
    Tza0PEl.png
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    Frankly, as an MMORPG, STO is behind the industry on this front.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    What? No. Just no. How would my main get his jollies off with his BOFFs who's like his personal harem. Not that he doesn't treat them well since (in my own cannon) Each of them have their own ship to command.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Of all the MMOs I've played, the only one that's had ingame marriage was Star Wars Galaxies. If this was a popular idea, more games would do it, so I'm gonna say it's probably never gonna happen.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Personally.. I think it's stupid.

But I'm not one to tell other people how to play. If people really want this then fine. As long as I'm not forced to play this way, I couldn't care less.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    If people want to get married, they can do that in Second Wife... err Life! There are businesses made just for that purpose over there.

This is a game of exploitation... Sorry, exploration. If people want to RP getting martied, more power to them. However, that kind of stuff needs to be kept on the down-low... IMO.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • curmecurme Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Same-sex marriage? Global chat would explode!
    edited March 2017
    This is a game of exploitation.

To play devil's advocate here, how people get along with each other had a lot more screen time in Star Trek than simple exploration ever had. Since when did a survey mission ever go to plan? How many times did a problem require two or more characters to have introspective dialog where a facet of life was presented through the lens of a stage drama? To put it simply, Star Trek is multifaceted. It's not one thing to the exclusion of all else. Look across the span of the franchise and you'll pretty much find everything, including marriage.

Now, the OP's idea falls down on three counts IMO.
    1. The RP'ing in question already being perfectly viable.
    2. Exploitation, as players divorce alts/friends to transfer bound items (ex. ships).
    3. It's very, very unlikely that a slight bump to serious RP'ing would ever justify the dev effort of coding a dedicated marriage system.
    But it's okay that they brought the subject up. Other MMO's have player marriages in some form. It's not a taboo subject in other game communities. For example: Elder's Scroll Online and Rift. You may not have known that, but neither did I until I googled the topic to find out just where the OP was coming from. I learned something and now I can approach this discussion with more than just "meh, not for me!"

When confronted with the unknown, you might want explore it a bit before reacting. Wandering about space doesn't mean a whole lot if you don't learn from the experience.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    A question was asked, and I expressed my opinion. This isn't a drama and the subject of marriage, as something officially endorsed by the game, should not be implemented in my opinion.

I have no issue at all if people want to RP a wedding ceremony on the bridge of a ship, on Risa, etc. but I don't think who one is married to should be part of a character window. Sure, if someone wants to add a "Married To:" section of their Bio page and add realtionship info there... of course. That's what the Bio is for... to flesh out a character's backstory.

Yes, there are games where there is an in-game institution of marriage. I have even played several of them myself. Some games even have additional in-game benefits for having an online spouse. For STO, I feel that this particular domestic aspect should be left out of the game in an official capacity.

Once again, in my opinion.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
    edited March 2017
    This isn't a drama.

But it is a drama. We have episodic content with dramatic arcs, plots, characters, themes, in which the subject of a certain someone's wife is increasingly becoming central to the entire Star Trek universe (for example: Enterprise.)

I can appreciate not wanting this for mechanical reasons (that's where I'm coming from, even as a UI option it's clutter, a time expense, and very finely targeted) but not personal reasons. And I think the distinction between the two needs to be emphasized so continued discussion can focus on the objective angles, rather than the personal reservations (discussion of which is not likely to end well.)

For example: I've pointed out that a marriage system is too limited to support development. Why not make it less limited? If I stop focusing on what marriage means I can look at the basic idea and see how it might be tweaked for broader applications. Let's restate the problem: players want to be able to designate other players as being significant to their in-game character. That can take a lot of forms besides marriage; admirals, mentors, arch enemies, ect. I may also want to do the same with boffs, since they're pretty much the first place you start building characters.

So approach it all as one system that expands the bio and links it with other systems. Say you have a button on your bio labeled "player tree." That brings up a menu with...oh, ten or so slots with blank labels above each one. In each slot you can bring up a player or a bridge officer, then write in how that character relates to yours. That could be anything from, "chess partner" to "spouse," treat the system however you like. Basically, just think "department heads in doffing" with more flexibility and public visibility. Each slot might also link off to relevant bios and (in the best case) other trees.

This would in effect create a character web, building the sense of rich, Trek-style fleets and crews through UGC (something STO excels at). And then for the hell of it, add a small "teamwork" bonus for teaming with players connected to your tree. That's a small practical benefit for players to consider and it encourages co-op with friends/associates (buffing that aspect of the game.)

Anyway, that's just an alternative suggestion. I'm sure it has problems too but I wanted to go into some detail to show that this topic really isn't something to get caught up on.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I come here to escape Real Life.

Whyever would I want a game mechanic to make a science fiction game more like Real Life?

Easy enough for any moron to ask for something trivially stupid like this. Most people willfully and ignorantly assume game developers can simply wave a magic wand and the code pops out of the Mod-O-Matic all ready to go. To paraphrase someone who I admire, "Coding an MMO ain't like dusting crops, boy!"

Besides, If I want to RP my pixelated fantasy self being married to another pixelated fantasy person's image of themselves, I don't need or require the devs to write and add special code for me to do so.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Why should your character get more xp from murdering stuff because they are married? It doesn't make sense in the context of this game. It'd just be another on top buff or a way to transfer items or something that I don't feel is needed right now. STO is more of a hack and slay than a "real" RPG and should stick to the baseline and do this right for starters. What you RP your characters as is already up to you with the option to write "character canon" so, there you go.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Whyever would I want a game mechanic to make a science fiction game more like Real Life?

You mean like currencies? You remember what Starfleet had to say on the subject. :tongue:

(I'm just taking advantage of an opening. Practical considerations should factor in how people approach forum discussion but you do have to remember that forum goers aren't devs. They can't vet feedback to a standard that actually conforms to the realties of development. That's why you have community teams.)