test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vulcan ships?

I'm not real clear on canon but it seems to me Vulcan continued making ships well into the current era of the game. But we only have one ship and a pretty archaic one at that. Am I incorrect?

I'd love to see more Vulcan ships. The Andorian ships are kind of meh for me.

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    They don't sell? I imagine they don't sell well which is why we don't see more of them...remember this game is all about making money.

They said they had plans to launch another Vulcan and Andorian ship and even Tellarite...but after they said they had plans for such nothing ever came out of it.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    They sell so "not well" they just did an entire series of Vulcan/Romulan hybrids ;).

Its seems to me the issue is far more likely to be an extremely limited list of canon Vulcan designs to draw upon. That and needing a compelling/salable cluster of ships to fit them into that includes the other two playable factions. The most recent science mega-pack would almost certainly have been Vulcan designs for the federation vessels if the multi-mission 'Rademaker-style' hadn't taken over those slots.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    There is massive Starfleet bias in Star Trek. The heroic Star Trek ships were always Starfleet not Klingon, Romulan, Vulcan, Andorian, or Tellarite. The closest thing to a new Vulcan ship are the new Romulan Science ships.

300px-Taenen_Strategic_Explorer_Warbird.jpg?version=7783c0d09494cc86d7859586eab8045c
    edited March 2017
    nikeix wrote: »
    They sell so "not well" they just did an entire series of Vulcan/Romulan hybrids ;).

Its seems to me the issue is far more likely to be an extremely limited list of canon Vulcan designs to draw upon. That and needing a compelling/salable cluster of ships to fit them into that includes the other two playable factions. The most recent science mega-pack would almost certainly have been Vulcan designs for the federation vessels if the multi-mission 'Rademaker-style' hadn't taken over those slots.

If they sell so well then why did they not make more? Why did they not make more when they said they planned to make more...

Why didn't they bother to even make a Fleet version of the D'Kyr if they were so *popular*?

Just because they made a single line of Romulans vessels with Vulcan inspiration doesn't mean they sell well...it could just be a nod to the future of reunification or at least relations are better than they were a decade ago...a year ago even.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    Ouch. You guys are rough. How can something than never appeared not sell well. Anyway it would be nice to see more Vulcan ships. It's weird only that they haven't revisited it. Hopefully not a licensing thing.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Ouch. You guys are rough. How can something than never appeared not sell well. Anyway it would be nice to see more Vulcan ships. It's weird only that they haven't revisited it. Hopefully not a licensing thing.

they are not being "rough" its the naked truth though a bitter pill to swallow it is what it is.
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    I have to agree that the non-'saucer and nacelles' ships don't really have a noticeable market. I play on the PS4, sure, but I see more event ships, lockbox ships and straight saucer and nacelles ships than I do paid non-'saucer and nacelles' ships. I fly a D'kyr almost exclusively and people have literally been able to tell who I am in space before my name is in view just from the profile of my ship, it's that stark a gap in ship populations. Still, I do wish there were more vulcan ships. I mean, they're one of the founding members of the Federation!
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Still, I do wish there were more vulcan ships. I mean, they're one of the founding members of the Federation!

Except we never saw a Vulcan or Andorian ship until Enterprise. For all we know, the Federation retired all of its alien ships between the formation of the Federation and TOS.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    starkaos wrote: »
    Still, I do wish there were more vulcan ships. I mean, they're one of the founding members of the Federation!

Except we never saw a Vulcan or Andorian ship until Enterprise. For all we know, the Federation retired all of its alien ships between the formation of the Federation and TOS.

there were Vulcan ships in Next Generation and First Contact though...
    and there are at least 3 distinct designs left from Enterprise, like the Surak (or Sorak) class.

In other words, there is enough material for vulcans alone, that had screen time even appart from Enterprise.

My guess on why they didn't sell: TRIBBLE boff layout for the time. The one Vulcan ship was a science heavy cruiser that was simply "unusable" for the game at the time. At today's T6 standards it wouldn't evenbe that bad for a science heavy ship.
    The Andorian sold pretty well it seemed, since they were everywhere at the time.
    Go pro or go home
    baudl wrote: »

there were Vulcan ships in Next Generation and First Contact though...
    and there are at least 3 distinct designs left from Enterprise, like the Surak (or Sorak) class.

In other words, there is enough material for vulcans alone, that had screen time even appart from Enterprise.

My guess on why they didn't sell: **** boff layout for the time. The one Vulcan ship was a science heavy cruiser that was simply "unusable" for the game at the time. At today's T6 standards it wouldn't evenbe that bad for a science heavy ship.
    The Andorian sold pretty well it seemed, since they were everywhere at the time.

On the Andorian ship...I don't think it was the ship itself as much as being the only ship in the game at the time that had 5 forward weapon slots...and that was before the rise of the all mighty FaW.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Canonically, all Federation member worlds still continue independent operations in science, trade, civil transport and possibly law enforcement (for example, despite the Federation the V'Shar (Vulcan intelligence service) still exists. They just don't maintain a military fleet as all military they had was absorbed into Starfleet and when the old ships were phased out Starfleet supplied new ones which now incorporated engineering from all members. So precedence for non-Starfleet ships exists and is canonical.

As others said, there is just a single Vulcan ship in the game, which is the D'Kyr which technically is an ENT-era ship, but it is possible they simply kept the basic layout and modernized the ship over and over again. But you are right, at least during one glimpse at a possible, although concluded, future in ENT the Vulcans used ships of their own in the 29th century. I am really looking forward to a Tellarite ship which Cryptic would have to build from the base up and Thomas Marrone once replied to me on reddit that he would like to develop a Tellarite ship, however there is nothing behind the idea but "would be nice, but..." - it's probably not a good selling position right now.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I really wouldn't mind having the Suurok class in game.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2017

809430_orig.jpg
    That is the Vulcan ship the T'Pau from TNG and DS9.

vortex294.jpg
    That is a DS9 era Vulcan uniform.

Edit:
    vulcan_futuristic_cruiser_by_euderion-dakefd2.jpg

This is the RetroFitted Dorsal Carrier, Design XRT-55D, Commission Date 3125.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2017
    artan42 wrote: »
    http://pre07.deviantart.net/fbc6/th/pre/i/2016/282/b/4/vulcan_futuristic_cruiser_by_euderion-dakefd2.jpg

This is the RetroFitted Dorsal Carrier, Design XRT-55D, Commission Date 3125.​​
    Oh man, that ship design.
    edited March 2017
    Edit: Sorry, double post.
    avoozuul wrote: »

It looks... efficient pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    avoozuul wrote: »

It looks... efficient pig-3.gif​​

Oh come on. Try a few double entendres, they're more fun.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

No seriously, I think it's a vibrant design, nothing more. It's pulsing with simple, yet effective sophisticated engineering. I'm fairly certain it could satisfy one's needs in term of starship design.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Although customer bias bears some of the burden for one particular style eclipsing all others in sales, failure to properly market items falls more into Cryptics purview. Frankly they have some butt-ugly event ships that I would never waste my time pursuring ("Hello, anything Breen"), but desirable traits and attributes for any potential non-Federation vessels that could have effectively been marketed by this company to close those perceived sales gaps is not the fault of the fanbase?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    It would be illogical for Vulcans to continue to pursue ship designs which those of us in Starfleet would find useful; as there are currently Vulcans assisting the Starfleet design bureau, creating their own independent military fleet would simply be an unnecessary duplication of resources.

Civilian ships, while certainly a viable possibility, are unimportant for our purposes here - a bulk ore carrier would be highly useful to a company shipping dilithium in quantity from the Vlugta Asteroid Field to Deep Space Nine, but it wouldn't be a lot of use to someone fighting against a Breen invasion of Federation space.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    If they dont sale well how about making the next few event ships Vulcan hybrids that every race can use.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    If the boff layout is desirable, the ship could be a flying piece of doo doo and it would be popular. If the ship has a desirable ship trait, it will be popular. Even if it has a nice console or weapon unlock it would be popular. This is what they need to focus on now since they cashed in on the iconic Enterprises (TOS and JJ Trek) and NX01 refit already. The Andorran ships would still be popular if you could put the wing cannons on another ship and the blue phasers came with anything other than acc.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    Well, we got T6 Gorn ships and a T6 Nausicaan ship. I'd love to see T6 Orion, Vulcan, Andorian, and at last Tellarite ships.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    angrytarg wrote: »

No seriously, I think it's a vibrant design, nothing more. It's pulsing with simple, yet effective sophisticated engineering. I'm fairly certain it could satisfy one's needs in term of starship design.​​

There you go, much better.
    jonsills wrote: »
    It would be illogical for Vulcans to continue to pursue ship designs which those of us in Starfleet would find useful; as there are currently Vulcans assisting the Starfleet design bureau, creating their own independent military fleet would simply be an unnecessary duplication of resources.

And yet they do continue to build them, and as with Starfleet their ships are armed civilian ones, not military ones (no matter how many time people try claim it, Starfleet is not a military. Being capable of defending the Federation is not the same thing as being its defence force).
    Both ships I posted above have the traditional Vulcan warp ring and neither are Starfleet affiliated at all. The former (the T'Pau type) has been used for several purposes in DS9 and TNG from cargo to research and the latter is certainly role equivalent to the old ENT era Vulcan ships as part of the Vulcan high command separate from Starfleet.

#TASforSTO

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Starfleet provides defense for Federation assets when they are attacked. They prosecute wars against the enemies of the Federation (cf the Four Years War, Cardassian conflict, Dominion War, etc). They are responsible for relief operations when Federation worlds are in need. They operate under a strict rank structure, using a military law that is considered different from civilian law and includes courts-martial.

If it waddles like a duck, and it quacks like a duck...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    (...)
    If it waddles like a duck, and it quacks like a duck...

It may be one of those pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    They operate under a strict rank structure, using a military law that is considered different from civilian law and includes courts-martial....

Strict? Lackadaisical is far closer to the truth. They utilise the broadest possible structure to keep track of a large number of trained profesionals. It's not even slightly strict from nonlinear promotions to dress code.

It's a exploration and humanitarian amarda with big guns and no alternative.

#TASforSTO

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I'been asking for a new tactical Vulcan ship since... forever... it's an insta buy to me..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    It is a military. However very decentralized with ship captains having command authority. Civilians do not wage war against the Iconians. Plus I pretty sure MACO and TF Omega validate it as well....Unless people think it is similar to the militant wing of the Salvation Army...
    HzLLhLB.gif