test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Arena of Sompek - Prove Your Worth

1235»

Comments

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    angrytarg wrote: »
    My record was 55, but I'm not pugging this again. Being cursed out by immature jerks who can't stand losing, blaming the one or two people that actually saved the run a couple of times killed every fun I had. Never witnessed people actually sabotaging or even asking for a leave, but Ihad a few tantrum throwing competitionists I handed plenty of ingores to.​​

done several pugs and didnt see that TRIBBLE goin on.... everyone was polite and even most managed to say 'gg' was kinda shocking.
    jcsww wrote: »
    That said, the challenge is fun up to about level 40 or so. That was the point for me where it definitely crossed the threshold into extreme boredom. That necessarily isn't the fault of the map and the play style. It just means lengthy repetitive gameplay isn't for me.

having finally made round 53, I gotta agree with this.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    I saw someone on reddit who made it to round 400 and recorded it on his twitch stream.

Took like 4 hours, and the enemies were basically tanks.

like spencer said earlier, its not a difference between round 120 or 500, since the enemies stop scale that point and dont get stronger.
  • furyan#5289 furyan Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Just did 102 with pug team B)
  • phaser14phaser14 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Our premade team made it to 250 rounds (it's not a new record, I know). Most of us are veteran ground pvpers from back in the day. Thus, we focused on team tactics/squad support and optimizing each player for a specific role rather than going full dps. Like many have pointed out, the NPCs stopped getting stronger after a certain point, and from then on it just became an hours long grind. We spent 4.5 hours in there and succumbed to the arena's real opponent: exhaustion and boredom (one of our squad members had to leave and another one actually fell asleep at the keyboard). The remaining three of us decided to intentionally wipe at round 251.

Here's a link to a video of our operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwcLp38djqs&feature=youtu.be

I'm sorry in advance for the less than perfect quality of the video but Windows Movie Maker isn't my ideal video editing tool :(
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    neppakyo wrote: »
    Watched a live twitch of Spencer and group go to round 400. ^^

Start of round 401, suicide out of boredom.

i still say I don't see cryptics logic with Arena of Sompek, they put in cooldowns to stop players from playing one thing for too long and burning out then with Arena of Sompek they give something that players can play for hours on end and burn out in just one mission run, I would like to see the devs comment on this, surely playing one mission for 20-30 minutes should be enough of one thing otherwise why have cooldowns at all.

I mean this video says it all, video runs for over 4 hours total and the team were already on level 48 at the start of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyftp9GDdcI

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User

i still say I don't see cryptics logic with Arena of Sompek, they put in cooldowns to stop players from playing one thing for too long and burning out then with Arena of Sompek they give something that players can play for hours on end and burn out in just one mission run, I would like to see the devs comment on this, surely playing one mission for 20-30 minutes should be enough of one thing otherwise why have cooldowns at all.

I mean this video says it all, video runs for over 4 hours total and the team were already on level 48 at the start of the video.

Since you could get the daily reward from it after 4-5 rounds or so i dont see why they should shorten that thing. Its a challenge to beat as many waves at possible and to be fair, a real challenge is what we're missing in sto. The only problem right now with the arena is, that it doesnt scale anymore after wave 108 or so, and that you could just continue from that point on. But i bet it wasnt only for me the greatest event / queue they introduced lately.

And now i hope that we get something equal for space ;)
  • bassiebbassieb Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I made it to round 6 and got bored, I just hate ground missions with passion.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    maybe they stop scaling enemies after wave 108 because even the very best players weren't supposed to be able to get past that round - or at least not very far past it

once they get done 'rebalancing' everything, if teams are still making significant progress past that round the next time the event shows up, i'm sure they can just add an extra +10% damage and health to enemies every 5-10 rounds past that point for those who want to keep being challenged, because they certainly aren't going to make the AI smarter as rounds progress​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Personally, I like most of it. It's fun, especially if you don't get plagued by the long waiting time thingie.

Also, it makes science officers useful, unlike most of the PvE queues, as they can heal, resurrect faster and greatly debuff the enemies to make things easier if your team doesn't have someone nearly one-shotting everything.

While I don't think it should be made permanent as people will end up getting bored eventually, I believe making it a monthly or even bi-weekly event would be nice, especially if we get different maps in a row.

And also, boost the rewards, devs, don't stop giving additional marks at wave ~60.

As I mentioned in another thread, one nice idea for a map could be a desolate landscape, under heavy rain and thunder.
    Other ideas:
    -a complete warp core room of a Romulan Warbird
    -a trashed Club 47
    -an Iconian arena, so T'Ket can have her bloodlust sated
    -a Borg complex
    -Virinat under attack
    -a new arena of the Dyson Sphere
    -a place made exclusively of tribble colonies
    -Gre'thor
    -a Tuterian Sphere
    -Neelix' kitchen from hell
    -the crashed saucer of the Enterprise-D
    -a Lukari Prime plaza

And, new record:
    20170225162237_1.jpg

Cool list.

I should start capping when I get about level 50.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    felisean wrote: »

Since you could get the daily reward from it after 4-5 rounds or so i dont see why they should shorten that thing. Its a challenge to beat as many waves at possible and to be fair, a real challenge is what we're missing in sto. The only problem right now with the arena is, that it doesnt scale anymore after wave 108 or so, and that you could just continue from that point on. But i bet it wasnt only for me the greatest event / queue they introduced lately.

And now i hope that we get something equal for space ;)

I understand the premise of the news blog but the fact is if they are going to allow you to play the same content for nearly 5 hours strait it kind of makes a mockery of the cooldowns that are put in to stop you doing just that so if this is going to be a permanent or even occasional feature they might as well discard any cooldown that is not just there with relation to gaining an event token, all the other cooldown periods are pointless in light of this one thing that goes against everything cooldowns are implemented for.
    they could have put out a ground based mission similar to no win scenario that is just as good for testing your metal and giving players a challenge and was always over very quickly even if you made it through the final wave or else just have it so the next wave spawns instantly and the challenge is how many levels you can complete in say 30 minutes with bigger and more frequent jumps in difficulty.

a challenge should be how tough an enemy can you beat and have nothing to do with playing for hours with no end and often just having a suicide run when you have burnt yourself out playing the same thing for this ridiculous amount of time.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• wilfred75wilfred75 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I enjoy running ground missions and this one has been a lot of fun. I hope it becomes permanent.
    Dors Venabili
    Liberty Task Force

Askage
    Liberty Honor Guard
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    I thoroughly enjoyed this one.. didnt have as much time to try and get as far as Id like but my team bagged up to round 89.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    maybe they stop scaling enemies after wave 108 because even the very best players weren't supposed to be able to get past that round - or at least not very far past it

once they get done 'rebalancing' everything, if teams are still making significant progress past that round the next time the event shows up, i'm sure they can just add an extra +10% damage and health to enemies every 5-10 rounds past that point for those who want to keep being challenged, because they certainly aren't going to make the AI smarter as rounds progress​​
    They stop scaling the enemies at the point where they stop scaling the rewards.

If players want to keep wasting their time after that just for laughs...let them.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It's for bragging rights only at that stage.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    warpangel wrote: »

once they get done 'rebalancing' everything, if teams are still making significant progress past that round the next time the event shows up, i'm sure they can just add an extra +10% damage and health to enemies every 5-10 rounds past that point for those who want to keep being challenged, because they certainly aren't going to make the AI smarter as rounds progress

If players want to keep wasting their time after that just for laughs...let them.

you gain the highest possible reward in all 3 categories on reaching 99, not 108

so no, they DON'T stop scaling enemies at the point where they stop scaling rewards​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    I hope this comes back at some point, or that some other way to earn weekend event vouchers shows up. I was under the impression that this lasted until 10am today (monday) because that's what it says in the ingame calendar. Since I didn't even know it was going on until saturday, (which is the weekend, rofl) I got screwed out of the reward. Yaay.​​
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

once they get done 'rebalancing' everything, if teams are still making significant progress past that round the next time the event shows up, i'm sure they can just add an extra +10% damage and health to enemies every 5-10 rounds past that point for those who want to keep being challenged, because they certainly aren't going to make the AI smarter as rounds progress

you gain the highest possible reward in all 3 categories on reaching 99, not 108

so no, they DON'T stop scaling enemies at the point where they stop scaling rewards​​
    Eh, close enough.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    I hope this comes back at some point, or that some other way to earn weekend event vouchers shows up. I was under the impression that this lasted until 10am today (monday) because that's what it says in the ingame calendar. Since I didn't even know it was going on until saturday, (which is the weekend, rofl) I got screwed out of the reward. Yaay.​​

You're not the only one. :( I managed to get one though. But I have the feeling this event is going in the recycle bin to never return with the same reward.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Voucher seems to be ubiquitous for any Weekend Event they may concoct in the future as well.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    I really enjoy this map and want to see it return, hopefully a short variation can run 24/7.

The first +40 round match I played I was bored with but I readjusted my expectations afterwards and really enjoyed myself. My highest match was in the low 100's and fatigue can be a real factor if you do not communicate how long you want the match to run. I never ran into long delays until my last match where someone was intentionally doing it.

I'd like to see it return. I had a really fun time and tested out different weapons (I even found value in the Agony Rifle proc and Temporal Armor) and a Lukari Electro-ish build (2 piece Armor +weapon). I appreciated the length as it let me observe how effective weapons could be (The Agony Rifle surprised me and I began to upgrade it-please continue to build it's value and the value of using the secondary). Note: The Gorn Borg and Voth bosses still moved around and fired while within the Agony Field)

I'd like rewards to be scaled higher and it sounds like some difficult higher levels could be scaled. The reward was very underwhelming given what the arena's lightening could do. There need to be more ways to build the value of that reward (lower cooldown,+secondary effects , +dam).

Thank you for the new map, for allowing players to play with new designs, and for new ground challenges.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • kaarruukaarruu Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Now that it's over, I miss it already. Arena was very fun to play in moderate doses, even moreso with a good team. I managed to PUG it to round 75 yesterday, got the lightning module and was inspired to try different things - including melee, which I haven't done since I was a newbie. Good fun.

Suggestions for improvement:

- Clearer pacing between rounds, more timely announcements.

- Better rewards for higher rounds. Time versus reward is a very poor ratio, even if it is fun to play.

- More accurate fail condition. I had a couple of matches where I would be already on the ground after respawn, the last remaining comrade would fall and the match would end.

The lightning kit module needs help, big time. Halve the cooldown and it'll be worth slotting, or give it an extra 50% damage. Maybe tweak the numbers on the unhelpful knockback and helpful stun effect to give less of the former and more of the latter.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    If this was part of the "2017 Master Grand Penultimate Rebalance", then it will probably be back, if only to gather data after the changes.
  • melange#3807 melange Member Posts: 28 Cryptic Developer
    Hey everyone! Thanks for your feedback on the event! I'm glad that people had a good time with it, and we will look into ways to improve it for the future.

Regardless of what round you made it to, you're all champions in my eyes!
  • neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    I saw someone on reddit who made it to round 400 and recorded it on his twitch stream.

Took like 4 hours, and the enemies were basically tanks.

Check back to page 4, spencer posted it all.
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Nice event! Had lots of fun with it. I probably did it a dozen times the past weekend with the main aim to get the “The Worthy” accolade/title for my toons. I managed to get it for 5 out of 10.

I didn’t force it that much though as I had most fun in facing the Arena with all different kinds of teams. Pugs, fleet mates, friends, channel crowds, even parts of my old NWS gang. It was a fascinating experience especially considering how subjective the difficulty of this map can be depending on the strength of the team one runs it with.

One of the extremes was a group from Diamond & G-800 I joined and we managed to reach 131. Nothing special? Think it was as we lost one to a DC below 100 and did the rest in a team of 4.

10_01_03_17_1_04_43.jpeg

Those guys were out of this world. Thanks to them I know again how being carried in PvE feels like. :#

10_01_03_17_1_07_14.jpeg
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    spencerb96 wrote: »
    fJjyerL.png

Build I was running.

Twitch Video \(may be reuploaded to Youtube eventually\).

Team & Parse:

SCM - [4:43:31] DPS - @spencerb96: 464.81 @amieenicole: 368.35 @charlie902: 358.57 @grimlyone: 312.68 @capraibex: 239.90

4 Tacs and 1 Eng. Eng used mines here and there to give us a little bit a break here and there.

We could've went on forever, as the difficulty no longer scales up past ~105, but we decided that 400 was more than enough.
    Looks like rewards stop scaling up at that point too. The guy who posted a pic of a 120 round fight got the same rewards.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    the rewards stop scaling at 99 - which is the minimum you need to reach for the top tier dil reward

the marks and crafting boxes reach their respective top tiers at earlier rounds​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    H69a8ZK.jpg

I'm the Cheerwine character there. It was fun and challenging. Gave me a reason to consider upgrading past Mk XII UR gear.
    Mm5NeXy.gif