test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic, your UI isn't fit for purpose.

Ok Cryptic, we need to talk.

For years now we know that you've struggled with the game engine, it was never a suitable choice in the first place but you've done what you can and muddled through.

However, your UI is bad. So bad in fact, it's an embarassment when compared to other games in the genre. I recently came back to play STO when they released the new FE and the T6 Vesta (my favourite non hero ship in the game) from WoW:Legion which has been consuming so much of my game time lately. WoW's UI... well... it just WORKS. Minimal input lag, easy to use and well presented with countless options for customisation with mods (which is sadly something that will never be possible in STO).

STO's UI? Well in many ways you could barely call it functional. You have so many seperate panels, abilities, BOFFS, power management, pet hangers, your ship panel with HP/Shield plus your character panel in the top corner with the map and mission objectives. The resources this UI hogs is frankly incredible. I struggle to even make 60 FPS in sector space with this droppin down to 40-50 FPS on average. This makes for really jerky game play even on a Gysnc enabled 144hz monitor.

If I turn off the UI with ALT+F12? Guess what happens, instant 144 FPS. This means I'm getting at times a 100 FPS decrease due to the UI. Just let that sink in a minute, 100 FPS... that's HUGE. The fact that my FPS doesn't increase or decrease when altering graphical settings just goes to show that it's not a problem with my PC rendering the game or processing CPU in the slightest, it's ALL down to the UI being utterly unoptimised and badly coded. Input lag has always been terrible, if the UI was well optimised but had input lag I could perhaps live with it but currently it's eating all of my FPS and isn't even doing it's job well.

It's not fit for purpose and I would really like to think that you, Cryptic, are going to do something about it... because frankly... it's VERY off putting especially after playing other MMO's which do a very good job of their user interface while ALSO running on what would be considered an ancient game engine by todays standards.

Please Cryptic, get on top of it or it's going to cause the game problems in the long run. The fact I can run Witcher 3 on nearly max settings and STILL maintain a smooth 60FPS shows that you have some real work to do optimising this game.
Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    My only real complaint about STOs UI is that when dragging things around in my inventory I frequently have to try multiple times before it registers and actually does anything, which does get quite annoying
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    I don't experience any of the problems that the OP is claiming, and I've been playing STO on the same system for 4 years.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    >Complains about STOs UI
    >Then goes on to say WoWs is better
    What?
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    If I turn off the UI with ALT+F12? Guess what happens, instant 144 FPS. This means I'm getting at times a 100 FPS decrease due to the UI.
    That seems more like a problem with your PC then with the game.

Having just used Steam's FPS counter to track my FPS in STO
    -With the UI on = Constant 60 FPS
    -With the UI off = Constant 60 FPS

Do you by chance have a framerate limit in STO? Cause it's usually on by default.

I am expiriencing the same, with on/off... Not showing the UI means immediate 50-60% increase in FPS.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Neither am I
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I've had no issues and I've been playing since 2012
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
      anazonda wrote: »
      Do you by chance have a framerate limit in STO? Cause it's usually on by default.

I am expiriencing the same, with on/off... Not showing the UI means immediate 50-60% increase in FPS.
      The only frame limiting I have is via V-sync, because I can't stand screen tearing.

But even with it off, its still the same with the UI on or off.

Odd... This is actually a fairly common experience... I've seen people mention it before (which is that made me test it in the first place).
      Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
      Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
      Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
      edited February 2017
      I don't use vsync or and FPS limiters because I don't need them, Gsync replaces vsync and helps to stop screen tear. I'm using Overwolfs overlay for Teamspeak which has a built in FPS counter.

Are you guys honestly serious when you say you suffer no FPS drop with or without the UI enabled? Just pressing U to open up inventory and the character panel in space reduces FPS to or less than 20. The UI is broken, my system has nothing to do with it.

Current Specs:
      Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus MS-7885
      CPU: Intel Haswell i7-5820K OC'd to 3.6Ghz
      RAM: 16Gb DDR4-2133
      GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 4Gb

More than enough to run this game optimally.

Also, why not compare it to another MMO's UI? I only mentioned WoW because it's what I've playing recently, so obviously I'm going to compare the two. They're both old games, except one has had a dev team which was willing to maintain and update the foundations of the game instead of pushing the latest lockbox.

EDIT: How about we all post screen shots of the game with and without the UI enabled? I'd be surprised to see that none of you are getting severely hampered FPS because of the UI. Unless it's also an issue with the DX11 render.
      Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
    • xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
      /disagree with op ...have had no issues as well.
    • necrobones0necrobones0 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
      My only real complaint about STOs UI is that when dragging things around in my inventory I frequently have to try multiple times before it registers and actually does anything, which does get quite annoying

This. It's always bugged me, and I hoped that they would have at least improved this after 7 years. Otherwise the UI is fine to me. I like the fact that it allows me to move and resize windows, rearrange the HUD, and change the scaling quickly and easily. It's mainly the "grab" delay that irritates me.
      --
      "Special Envoy" Lifer.
      Are you guys honestly serious when you say you suffer no FPS drop with or without the UI enabled? Just pressing U to open up inventory and the character panel in space reduces FPS to or less than 20. The UI is broken, my system has nothing to do with it.
      100% serious. Constant 60 fps with the UI, and both the inventory and character screen, open on ground, system space, and sector space.

So yes, it is your system.
      They're both old games, except one has had a dev team which was willing to maintain and update the foundations of the game instead of pushing the latest lockbox.
      Hilarious you could even attempt to make this claim when Cryptic has revamped most everything in the game at this point
      -Skills
      -Crafting
      -Kits
      -Sector Space
      -Lighting
      -Ship skins getting revamped as they make new T6 versions of them
      -Back end changes to how most powers work, and how individual items are stored in the system, to reduce server load
      -Changes to reputation project costs + addition of daily bonus boxes to make reps less costly and less of a hassle
      -Earth Space Dock
      -First City
      -Drozana(like three times)
      -Basically every single pre-LoR story arc
      --Federation Tutorial
      --Klingon Tutorial
      --Klingon War
      --Romulan Mystery
      --Cardassian Struggle
      --Borg Collective
      --Undine Advance

Much of what you've quoted there is to do with CONTENT updates, not back end engine tweaks and reworks. The lighting system and the way in which kits work etc are some of the notable exceptions. Pretty much 2/3 of that list isn't even related to what you're quoting me.

What settings do you use? And what are your system specs? Do you use DX9 to render? It may be an issue not just with the UI (because there is one, there's no point trying to deny it) but with the way in which the game utilises higher end hardware. There is still an issue with the "show high detailed objects" graphical option not utilising as much GPU power with it set to on regardless of control panel settings.
      Terrell.png

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      This. It's always bugged me, and I hoped that they would have at least improved this after 7 years. Otherwise the UI is fine to me. I like the fact that it allows me to move and resize windows, rearrange the HUD, and change the scaling quickly and easily. It's mainly the "grab" delay that irritates me.
      I'm not sure it's a delay. I've noticed that attempting to drag items straight sideways pretty much never works. I need to move up or down then sideways.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
      only time my fps does anything noticable is in the Tzenkethi BZ when I'm trying to fly and fight and push asteroids amid a billion dust particles worth of planetary ring.
    • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
      100% serious. Constant 60 fps with the UI, and both the inventory and character screen, open on ground, system space, and sector space.
      You don't have a clue what you're doing. There's absolutely NO way you would get a constant 60fps without it being limited in some way. It just simply does not happen in ANY game unless the game is limiting the frame rate in some fashion.

edited February 2017
      tempus64 wrote: »
      You don't have a clue what you're doing. There's absolutely NO way you would get a constant 60fps without it being limited in some way. It just simply does not happen in ANY game unless the game is limiting the frame rate in some fashion.
      Like I said
      The only frame limiting I have is via V-sync, because I can't stand screen tearing.
      Read the WHOLE THREAD before you respond next time.

You make yourself look stupid when you do not.

But even with it off, its still the same with the UI on or off.

That's a frame rate limiter. Again, you don't have a clue what you're doing or talking about.
      Much of what you've quoted there is to do with CONTENT updates, not back end engine tweaks and reworks. The lighting system and the way in which kits work etc are some of the notable exceptions. Pretty much 2/3 of that list isn't even related to what you're quoting me.

What settings do you use? And what are your system specs? Do you use DX9 to render? It may be an issue not just with the UI (because there is one, there's no point trying to deny it) but with the way in which the game utilises higher end hardware. There is still an issue with the "show high detailed objects" graphical option not utilising as much GPU power with it set to on regardless of control panel settings.
      You said the devs had no desire to update the fundamentals of the game, and everything I listed qualifies as just that.

As for my setting/system specs
      -I have everything on max in the graphics tab
      -Am using DX11 renderer, 19020X1080 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio, fullscreen, TXAAx4 anti alising
      -And as for my PC specs
      --Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.40GHz
      --8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
      --4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

You keep asserting its the game, but TBH, it sounds like a personal problem on your end

It seems highly unlikely for you to be having better performance than me given that you half half as much RAM, a slower CPU and a model down in GPU to my system.

Also, as the poster just stated the reason you're getting 60fps constant is because of vysnc which ties the refresh rate to that of your monitor (60mhz in your case). In the Tzenkethi BZ just now FPS was dipping as low as the mid 30's with UI on and 144 FPS constant (which is my monitor refresh) without the UI enabled.
      Terrell.png

edited February 2017
      tempus64 wrote: »
      That's a frame rate limiter. Again, you don't have a clue what you're doing or talking about.
      And again, I never said I didn't have a frame limiter, or that V-sync wasn't a frame limiter.

I knew the American education system was faulty, but damn, dyslexia seems more rampant then I previously thought.
      So you have your frame rate limited so that you wouldn't see any difference and you're telling these people they're imagining things and it's their computer system. Ok. Gotcha. Carry on then cause you're clearly brilliant.

By the way. You also said you turned it off and still saw 60fps. So again, you don't know what you're doing or talking about.
    • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
      I have the same type of issues as the OP. For every UI window I open I lose ~8FPS (power tray included). This also does not matter where I set the graphics settings. My system specs are far beyond what this game should need and with the fact I have no problem with the many other games I play, I conclude it is a problem with STO. Having looked around the support forums for many years on different issues, I also conclude that STO works ok with only some setups and struggles with certain hardware. Higher end hardware (and AMD hardware in general) seems to run STO poorly. I think that this is more of the problem than just a UI issue.
      I love how you try to act like I am the only person saying this when most of the posters on this thread made similar comments of not having FPS issues with the UI on.

Also, I said no such thing. I said I am getting the same FPS with the UI on/off and Vsync off, not that the FPS I was getting with it off is the same as with it on.

Ok. And how many of them have their frame rate limited? They don't say so you pulling them out as if they somehow bolster your standpoint is weak at best.

I just turned off my limiting and tested what the OP said using the in game fps counter and I get a difference in frame rate as well. It depends on which screen. Inventory slows things down by maybe 6-10 fps with all the "items". Journal on the other hand barely changes. It's a sign of unoptimized code which, given the history of the game, is understandable. There's an early access game I play which suffers from the exact same thing on inventory type screens and is a very well known issue amongst people that play the game. i.e. it's not the graphics itself, it's all the items the game has to go through to sort out etc before getting around to rendering them.

But whatever. There's a group of you that always come into these threads claiming there's nothing wrong and the game is perfect. People could post videos and you all would still claim it was in their imagination. Carry on.
      edited February 2017
      It seems highly unlikely for you to be having better performance than me given that you half half as much RAM, a slower CPU and a model down in GPU to my system.

Also, as the poster just stated the reason you're getting 60fps constant is because of vysnc which ties the refresh rate to that of your monitor (60mhz in your case). In the Tzenkethi BZ just now FPS was dipping as low as the mid 30's with UI on and 144 FPS constant (which is my monitor refresh) without the UI enabled.
      You are aware that, as a 32bit application, STO can't use more then 3.5-4 gigs of ram anyways? It doesn't matter if you have 16 gigs of ram unless you have tons of background programs running at the same time to suck most of it away, STO is still going to max out at the same point anyways.

Also, the 960 GPU is in many ways better then the 970, because the 960 runs at a full 4 gigs of ram, whereas the 970 runs at 3.5, while the other .5 gigs of ram runs somewhere like 10times slower due to limitations Nvidia put on it to make it worse then the 980. The 970 is INFAMOUS for how bad it runs due to Nvidia's botched attempts to gimp it.

You are quite correct about the RAM usage, however what I'm getting at more than anything else (I didn't communicate this well) was the fact my RAM clock speed is signifantly higher than yours. Thus better performance for what RAM is being utilised by the .exe.
      Post edited by ufpterrell on
      Terrell.png

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
      **Sets up popcorn stand and gets the nachos**This is starting so well, it will surely end well
      **Sets up popcorn stand and gets the nachos**This is starting so well, it will surely end well

:D Well, wasn't my intention to start an argument...

Can I have popcorn too btw?
      Terrell.png

This discussion has been closed.