test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

USS Enterprise (CVN-65) to be decommisioned

alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
News today that the US aircraft carrier Enterprise is scheduled to be decommissioned on February 3. This is the carrier Kirk's crew visited in The Voyage Home ("played" by the USS Ranger).

Facebook is filled with that quote from Picard about the Enterprise-D not being the last ship to bear the name.

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    And in fact, as I understand it, the Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier Enterprise is already in design phase. Let's face it, the ol' Big E was well past her designed lifetime as it was - she was the first nuclear-powered carrier, after all...​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Not only was the Enterprise the first nuclear powered carrier, she wasn't even a Nimitz class. She was her own. I believe she also held, or still holds, the record for longest warship afloat.

And there will ALWAYS be an Enterprise.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    She needs to be a museum ship
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      There currently is still an Enterprise in service. The Echo Class.
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
      Facebook is filled with that quote from Picard about the Enterprise-D not being the last ship to bear the name.
      I was expecting another quote, the one Mr Spock said when they were asked to bring the Enterprise to be decommissioned after foiling the Khitomer conspiracy.
      #TASforSTO
      Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 116 Arc User
      USS Constitution is the oldest warship still afloat, even though she hasn't seen combat in more than 150 years. Enterprise being in service for 50 years is still quite an accolade. It would be nice if she was preserved, but I don't think it's going to happen given that her reactors need to be removed and they have to cut large portions out of the hull to remove them. There will be a new Enterprise. It will take a few years for her to be built, but the legacy will continue. Enterprise CV-6 is the one that truly should've been saved. Served through the duration of WW2 and survived every major pacific engagement. Most decorated ship in US Navy history. I worked with a guy who's father served aboard CV-6, he said that the only time he ever saw his father cry was the day he heard they scrapped Enterprise.
    • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
      I was expecting another quote, the one Mr Spock said when they were asked to bring the Enterprise to be decommissioned after foiling the Khitomer conspiracy.

That one was there, too.
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      as someone once said "Parting is.... inevitable."

Doesn't make it a good thing though.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
      jonsills wrote: »
      And in fact, as I understand it, the Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier Enterprise is already in design phase. Let's face it, the ol' Big E was well past her designed lifetime as it was - she was the first nuclear-powered carrier, after all...​​

The nimitz class as a whole is long in the tooth , but has served the US well :)
    • icerose20icerose20 Member Posts: 18,379 Arc User
      They can not make the Enterprise 65 be a museum ship because of the decomming the Nuclear reactors. Remember the Gerald Ford is just evolutionary offshoot of the Nimitz, especially with its over capacity of energy generation. Some designs are just too good not to reuse despite when they are designed. B-52, C-130, A-10, Arliegh Burke.
      Ancient Griffon insult

That one is so stupid, he lost a Rock/Paper/Scissors game to a Pony.
    • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
      icerose20 wrote: »
      They can not make the Enterprise 65 be a museum ship because of the decomming the Nuclear reactors. Remember the Gerald Ford is just evolutionary offshoot of the Nimitz, especially with its over capacity of energy generation. Some designs are just too good not to reuse despite when they are designed. B-52, C-130, A-10, Arliegh Burke.

The BUFF is in a league of its own, built in the mid 50s and still in service today and it is scheduled to be on the books for the foreseeable future, the nimitz class has reached the end of their operational service life most are 40-50 years old , thats a great return on investments.

As far as CVN-65 being a mueseum piece yeah wont happen because of the nuclear reactor, sadly she will join CVN-5 Enterprise in the scrap pile :(
    • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
      Enterprise CV-6 is the one that truly should've been saved. Served through the duration of WW2 and survived every major pacific engagement. Most decorated ship in US Navy history. I worked with a guy who's father served aboard CV-6, he said that the only time he ever saw his father cry was the day he heard they scrapped Enterprise.

Once they finish with their 8th air force series, HBO should make a naval themed WWII series centered around CV-6, would be nice to see those naval battles with the quality they gave Band of Brothers and The Pacific.
      Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
      eaY7Xxu.png
    • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
      Enterprise CV-6 is the one that truly should've been saved. Served through the duration of WW2 and survived every major pacific engagement. Most decorated ship in US Navy history. I worked with a guy who's father served aboard CV-6, he said that the only time he ever saw his father cry was the day he heard they scrapped Enterprise.

Once they finish with their 8th air force series, HBO should make a naval themed WWII series centered around CV-6, would be nice to see those naval battles with the quality they gave Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

CV-6 Enterprise's wartime history makes for good movie or TV show material. It was in service when Japan hit at Pearl Harbor and was in action throughout the war until almost the very end. She was there for almost every significant naval engagement in the Pacific. Her story is one that follows the ebb and flow of the war. The high points will be Midway and the heavy, heavy fighting around Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands. Guadalcanal and the Solomons was a naval bloodbath as both the Allies and Japanese were spearfishing each other in those waters.
      XzRTofz.gif
    • bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
      Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
      Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)