test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hiding your characters from Gateway

prolegapprolegap Member Posts: 65 Arc User

How exactly do you make your characters private in Gateway? There's apparently supposed to be a setting for this in "Privacy settings" somewhere, but I haven't found one in the launcher or the game.

Is the setting perhaps in Arc? That would be pretty disappointing, as I have no intention of ever installing it.

Comments

• Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    the sto gateway is an actual website, you can alter your settings there = https://auth.startrekonline.com/
  • Options
    the sto gateway is an actual website, you can alter your settings there = https://auth.startrekonline.com/

Yes, I know. :|

Can't find the settings there either. I can only select a character, view them and log out. There's no settings page of any kind.
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    the only way I know how is in game... click the "social" tab that's to the right of your mini map, then click the 'Privacy" tab on the bottom right of the social window, the last choice should be showing/hiding characters on gateway.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    the only way I know how is in game... click the "social" tab that's to the right of your mini map, then click the 'Privacy" tab on the bottom right of the social window, the last choice should be showing/hiding characters on gateway.

Thanks! That was a well hidden setting.
  • Options
    texarion#1034 texarion Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Just to satisfy my curiosity. Why would you, or anyone, want to hide your characters on the gateway ?
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    Just to satisfy my curiosity. Why would you, or anyone, want to hide your characters on the gateway ?

Because you would not believe the number of people in game who will check your setup on gateway then start a harassment campaign against you because you aren't using the "right" build or the "right" equipment.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    texarion#1034 texarion Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    I see, makes sense. Never happened to me, then again I run alone most of the time and when I do STFs it's almost always with fleet mates.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    I've never heard of this. They just randomly criticize strangers? What kind of OCD is that to have a conniption fit and harass people because their built is inefficient.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    I've only had one person ever publicly check my toon on Gateway then comment in zone chat so this is very rare for me at least. They can check your equipped gear but the boff abilities shown are broken so really it doesn't say much about one's detailed build and I haven't any magic secrets to hide.

My toons are all open to viewing on the Gateway with the only negative being it's an easy way for the spammers to get a mailing list of everybody in your fleet (yes, your fleet roster is visible), but there are other ways to accomplish this as well.

"View on Gateway" is also a standard function in at least one of the games commonly used damage parsers.

Like all tools and privacy settings there are benefits and disadvantages to locking yourself down so I keep myself wide open and report those spammer folks using the report spam or preferably report to GM with screenshot attached (the latter method recommended by the GM's) as I don't wish to adjust my settings for a nefarious few.

Summary --> So here I am with wide open in-game and Gateway settings and nothing bad has happened to me to date :)
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User

Because you would not believe the number of people in game who will check your setup on gateway then start a harassment campaign against you because you aren't using the "right" build or the "right" equipment.

So...I check on gateway (AOY toons do not show up regardless of setting).. just to see whats on someones ship..However, that does NOT mean they dont know how to run a ship and the most important thing is the boffs (which you can see anyways) they are using..

I have seen stuff I thought was...well silly.... Disruptor DC,Phaser dbb, tricobalt torpedo,ancient omni (you get the idea) for the front end weapons loadout and then run polaron damage consoles on a cruiser...but I leave those people alone..

Granted..Flying a sci ship sometimes my ships loadouts look worse, this but Im literally running 3 weapons sets and universals in tac slots(big no no for some purists)

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @officerbatman81

I had someone start in on me once because I defended the DSD so he starts looking at all of my characters & insulting me for a wide range of things from have torpedos equipped to not using AP weapons to having a "sh.i.t. ship" etc.

I LOOOOVE the DSD...and I run no more than 3 torpedo's on thos ships :P I love using my Rom DSD to put people out of PVP.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    johntseeverjohntseever Member Posts: 16 Arc User

So...I check on gateway (AOY toons do not show up regardless of setting).. just to see whats on someones ship..However, that does NOT mean they dont know how to run a ship and the most important thing is the boffs (which you can see anyways) they are using..

I have seen stuff I thought was...well silly.... Disruptor DC,Phaser dbb, tricobalt torpedo,ancient omni (you get the idea) for the front end weapons loadout and then run polaron damage consoles on a cruiser...but I leave those people alone..

Granted..Flying a sci ship sometimes my ships loadouts look worse, this but Im literally running 3 weapons sets and universals in tac slots(big no no for some purists)

I had the same issue with my AoY toon and opened a case on it. this was the final outcome that I got today: Our developers are not updating the Gateway anymore and we cannot provide some assistance in this case. If you have questions about the Gateway, I can only refer you to our forums. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Feel free to contact us if you have other inquiries. which sucks as I want to show my AoY toon to some friends.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I have never heard of this harassment either, but I can't say it surprises me.

The funny thing is, it's such an inaccurate tool.. half the information shown on my characters in Gateway isn't even what I'm using.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    prolegap wrote: »
    How exactly do you make your characters private in Gateway? There's apparently supposed to be a setting for this in "Privacy settings" somewhere, but I haven't found one in the launcher or the game.

Is the setting perhaps in Arc? That would be pretty disappointing, as I have no intention of ever installing it.

I love how ppls on these STO-FOE-RUMs demand instant gratification and then state they won't be accepting any help if it comes from one software and not another.

I know how to fix your problem, but I'm not going to tell you because you have one or more vowels in your nick.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png