test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nyberrite Alliance

With the upcoming introduction of the Tzenkethi, and without resing a dead thread, I'd like to make a renewed request for the Nyberrite Alliance as a new allied addition to STO. Being a canon, yet obscure power, it presents an opportunity, like the Tzenkethi, to explore expand upon a chapter of Star Trek lore that has only had the first few words written. The Nyberrite Alliance is a blank canvass just waiting to be filled in.

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I believe Sisko said it was a "long way" away from DS9, while accepting FED recruits without apparent reservation. That would seem to me to suggest "Beta quadrant." I know they fit with the theme of "obscure species, only referenced in DS9" but I don't think the Tzenkethi establishes any theme or precedent that the Nyberrites, of all factions, could follow up easily.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Exactly my point, because there is no additional information on them, one can be as creative with them as desired. It would be just like creating a new civilization from scratch, like the Deferi or the Lukari, except exploring the Nyberrites would be adding to a power that is already part of the canon. Potentially, they could even be introduced in conjunction with another race such as the Sheliak, regarding some type of issue these two powers are having with each other. Just an example. My point is that it doesn't have to be completely integral with the Tzenkethi, and the possibilities for interesting content with canon civilizations is definitely there.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    If we're doing a Beta Quadrant species I'd rather it be the Fen Domar, personally. We don't know much more about them (they apparently got into a battle with Voyager in an alternate timeline) but the name at least is more interesting.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    If there is nothing saying what the Nyberrite Alliance was then they don't have to craft a new species for them. It could very well be a Ferengi business alliance or something similar. And with that could have digits in many different issues around the area that need to be addressed. Imagine there is a source of quadra-lithium or some other unobtanium. But the locals will only deal with the business partners they already trust. Now you have to trek to the far side of the Klingon empire to negotiate and return.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Personally, if creating a race we have no knowledge about, I'd prefer a completely new one like the Deferi or the Lukari, instead of creating one from nothing and using some canon mentioned name as a fig leaf.

As it stands, the Nyberrite are friendly towards both powers (sorry RomRep). This is some info - but not good in this case. They needed to be handled as well known to everybody, yet appearing out of the blue in the storyline of the game. It's like those episodes in a series when suddenly a new character appears who's obviously been best friends with all of the cast for decades, lives just down the street, yet was never once mentioned in the first five years of the series.

Also, to continue creating storylines, adversaries are more helpful than friends. After all, KDF and Fed are more or less friendly by now, Undine and Iconian plus servitor races have withdrawn, repowering an already faced enemy takes away from the tension and makes in game handling of said enemy outside of the missions somewhat more difficult, and so on.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Also, to continue creating storylines, adversaries are more helpful than friends. After all, KDF and Fed are more or less friendly by now, Undine and Iconian plus servitor races have withdrawn, repowering an already faced enemy takes away from the tension and makes in game handling of said enemy outside of the missions somewhat more difficult, and so on.

I do not know. If all we ever get is a new enemy of the week then it feels like what your Boffs say in the ice cave of Frozen. "Why does every new thing we find want to kill us?"
    But finding a new friend/victim could allow bringing back old villains that never got wrapped up. Like the Fehklri or any number of 'returnable' enemies.

feiqa wrote: »
    But finding a new friend/victim could allow bringing back old villains that never got wrapped up. Like the Fehklri or any number of 'returnable' enemies.
    All the old enemies have been dealt with though.

The Fek'ihri were stopped, we killed their leader and everything.

I always felt that was a little soft. Even your crew are not sure if they hallucinated that or not. Add in the Iconians had gateways to there and it is still doable.
    Speaking of Iconians. Don't we have a rogue out there still?
    Mirror Lyta got away so she is still viable as is the entire mirror universe.
    The Tal Shiar were not rooted out to the last so they still have hangers on. Same with the True Way.

Thanks to Walker and Daniels we are not limited to policing our own reality either. We can have various missions cleaning up alternate realities. Just imagine if a ferengi started major cross dimensional trade between prime and kelvin timelines. Suddenly you are tackling Mirror tholians and kelvin Klingons.

snip
    1. Leeta is what I would consider a current enemy.
    2. We do have one Iconan out there. T'ket is still attacking the Klingon homeworld every now and then.
    3. The Tal shiar are basically dead at this point. After killing Hakeev, command passed to Ruul, and Ruul was captured on New Romulus. As we see in the "Uneasy Allies" mission, the scattered remnants of the Tal Shiar are squatting and looting old abandoned bases, and wasting what little ships/men they have left fighting the equally battered forces of Sela's Romulan Star Empire. They are nothing but a scattered and broken group with no leadership, and nothing really in terms of resources.
    4. As for the Fek'Ihri, if we ever see them again it will be part of a Gamma quadrant expansion, since the Hur'q, the race suggested to have been behind the Fek'Ihri, are from there.

1 & 3 together is a new credible threat.
    4 I would not mind seeing it as that. Better a clean return than ignoring them.

My point being there are enough loose threads that not every new species created automatically has to be an enemy.

• daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    Back in the "before times" I made a proposition which gained the attention of a few devs. About making the Nyberrite Alliance into a free for all faction, with the range to be nearly anything, from freighter captain, to Maqui remnant.

course, back then it was durring the time of PWE's aquisition of the game, and how we all hoped the engine would be updated to include such possibilities in the new exploration system.

I would disagree. While I see your point about "enemy of the week", just adding one already downed enemy who has no realistic way of rising again as of now (can be done but needs time) doesn't really strengthen Leeta's threat. Well, technically, everything does, even the remnants of Hassan's pirates are a few guns, but not helping much.

The opposite of the "enemy of the week" is the always losing one. It's like meeting a wolf in an RPG at level 97. Yes, they were dangerous eons ago. Now they are annoying. And if they regain strength, it needs to be explained up to a certain degree.
    xyquarze wrote: »

I would disagree. While I see your point about "enemy of the week", just adding one already downed enemy who has no realistic way of rising again as of now (can be done but needs time) doesn't really strengthen Leeta's threat. Well, technically, everything does, even the remnants of Hassan's pirates are a few guns, but not helping much.

The opposite of the "enemy of the week" is the always losing one. It's like meeting a wolf in an RPG at level 97. Yes, they were dangerous eons ago. Now they are annoying. And if they regain strength, it needs to be explained up to a certain degree.

I was thinking the reverse engineered borg tech plus romulan cloaking tech on mirror enterprise etc.

I was thinking the reverse engineered borg tech plus romulan cloaking tech on mirror enterprise etc.
    Noye gave Mirror Leeta tech far greater then Borg tech as part of his attempts to get her to join him.

And the Mirror Universe already has cloaking tech.

He did? They seemed about Federation level to me. Hardly 'Far greater' and I do not recall seeing mirror ships cloak.

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Im in the Dominion and better known species or govt camp

The Nyberrite alliance is to obscure and remote to even deal with, i would rather see a 2nd dominion war that could bring the cardassians in as a playable micro faction like AoY.

You get a Hideki T1 ship and 6-8 missions then choose faction and play from there.
    It could be added, that some enemies can return, but not in the usual "giant war" way we had so often. The latest mission about K-13 we were dealing with Nausicaan mercenaries, but here it was a small group hired by a local nuisance. And it wasn't that "one big thing" that needs to be dealt with (well, the Ferengi needs to) and which will keep everybody on their toes and occupied, but just a petty criminal. Which was welcome. In much the same vein, others could return as well. Just that many of them (Tholians, Borg, ...) don't really lend themselves to dealing with minor guys.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    I think there's huge potential with the Nyberrite Alliance. In truth, we don't know who they are, nor what they are. Are they a single species (like the Klingon Empire), or a coalition of planets (like the Federation). The mere fact they have Alliance in their name would indicate it's a coalition of some sort, though that's about as much as we know, and I think it's reasonably safe to assume they're more friendly than aggressive, at least as far as the Federation is concerned.

There's potential here because, similar to the Tzenkethi, Cryptic could build up an entire faction from the ground up. Several new, distinctive new races? Several already established races, or maybe a mix of the two? We've no idea what the alliance is. It could be anything from Suliban, Bolian and Lethean to the Deltan, Ferengi and/or Trill. Heck, it could even be a (renamed) Xindi-founded alliance with members of other species joining them (like Worf with Starfleet).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'd suspect the NA is a organization for anyone willing to join, Klingons, Fed, Ferengi, it doesn't matter. Something like a free traders / neutral faction and fleet.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    The Nyberrite Alliance sounds like somethnig with potential. They don't need to be enemies - maybe they introduce us to a new (or old) enemy instead, or have a more mixed role in the story. A rival to Federation, Kingon and Romulans that is non-hostile.

Regarding Sela - I could see her returning as an ally, someone trying to redeem herself. I wouldn't believe her, but it might be more interesting than having her do something else nefarious.

I don't want a new Dominion War. With Odo in the Great Link, this should be a thing of the past, or we need Auberjonois back and explain why he failed to influence the Great Link positively. (and probably we'd also need Nana Visitor).
    I want to see the Gamma Quadrant, though. There should be room for other hostile species there, if we need enemies. The Hur'q sound like the most interesting idea. Maybe they used the past centuries to rebuild, maybe working together with T'Ket as her new instrument of vengeance.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The Nyberrite Alliance sounds like somethnig with potential. They don't need to be enemies - maybe they introduce us to a new (or old) enemy instead, or have a more mixed role in the story. A rival to Federation, Kingon and Romulans that is non-hostile.

Regarding Sela - I could see her returning as an ally, someone trying to redeem herself. I wouldn't believe her, but it might be more interesting than having her do something else nefarious.

I don't want a new Dominion War. With Odo in the Great Link, this should be a thing of the past, or we need Auberjonois back and explain why he failed to influence the Great Link positively. (and probably we'd also need Nana Visitor).
    I want to see the Gamma Quadrant, though. There should be room for other hostile species there, if we need enemies. The Hur'q sound like the most interesting idea. Maybe they used the past centuries to rebuild, maybe working together with T'Ket as her new instrument of vengeance.

How about the NA consists of many refugees/desertes of members of factions we fought against? Voth, Klingons/Humans, asorted fed/kdf races, Jems, Vortas, Tholians...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou

Sela really is a double edged sword. Apparently, Denise Crosby is nice to work with and enjoys the job, so there's a major incentive to bring her back. Also she is one of the few remaining major players, even if without direct access to resources right now.

Then again, players are possibly to probably to almost certainly fed up with the character (not the actress!) by now. Someday, we'd like to give her her just deserts. So putting her as a major enemy and letting her escape again would be annoying, just turning her "good" even more so. She could possibly get a career as a kind of information broker in the background, shady, but a go-to-lady if necessary, who has the connections for informations. She should remain in that role however and NOT join any mission again, the Iconian TRIBBLE up with 200k years of war (thanks ma'am) may have been one too many already.

This doesn't solve any "needed adversaries" issues though. And if played wrongly it may easily come off as a poor man's "Mass Effect Shadow Broker".

(The Yahg would be awesome though, I'd like to play one. Possibly the wrong universe here...)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    flash525 wrote: »
    I think there's huge potential with the Nyberrite Alliance. In truth, we don't know who they are, nor what they are. Are they a single species (like the Klingon Empire), or a coalition of planets (like the Federation). The mere fact they have Alliance in their name would indicate it's a coalition of some sort, though that's about as much as we know, and I think it's reasonably safe to assume they're more friendly than aggressive, at least as far as the Federation is concerned.

The KE is not single species. We don't see any other members of the Empire but Martok assures us they exist.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    With the expansion of the Alpha Quadrant in S12, I believe this request could be incorporated even more easily now.

Yes, I believe that DS9 needs a serious overhaul. I think it would be great to add Vic's Lounge to the upper level of Quark's, complete with Vic Fontaine soundtrack and blackjack tables for GPL.

Yes, I would like to see Ferenginar created in game. I have a Ferengi toon who needs to report back to Nagus Rom. Plus I'm sure Max Grodenchik would be more than happy to add his voice to the game's cast. I'd love for that to happen.

Yes, I would like to see a new Gamma Quadrant sector open up with opportunities to encounter new races and environments as well as a few established ones. It just makes sense. The wormhole is right there, we should be able to go through it.

But since we're focused in the Alpha Quadrant right now, my idea is that these new sectors are going to need to be populated, the devs have left plenty of room for this. I think the Sheliak should be the next adversary after the Tzenkethi. They should be encroaching on the territory of two neighboring powers, the Nyberrite Alliance and the Talarian Republic, obviously with hidden motives, possibly originating from the Gamma Quadrant.

The Federation/Klingons/Romulans should render aid to counter this threat. The Nyberrites are already established as on good terms with the Federation. The Federation and Talarians are old enemies that could see their standoffish relationship improve and become more friendly working together against a foe like the Sheliak.

Both powers would be outclassed by the Sheliak on their own and would need to not only combine their efforts, but also seek the support of the Federation.

Thoughts?

• wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    There are actually a lot of 'Aliens without faces' in the star trek series. There are even more 'one-shots'. Any of these are potential resources. There are others as well. And that discounts the fact they can just make their own.