What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Timeline Dreadnought Cruiser So Big...

2»

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I personally still headcanon the Kelvin Connie at 366 meters myself. Less on screen clues to disregard that way. As for in game... meh. Kirk put it best at the end of ST4.
    Kirk wrote:
    A ship is a ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    The developement of the alternate timeline was altered and they took a different approach to designing ships. With the level of technology the Federations disposal they could build almost anything they wanted to. Clearly they decided to be conservative with their designs as far as size goes, perhaps quantity over quality and since exploration was their primary goal this philosophy makes perfect sense. However, their counterparts in the other timeline had a decidely different philosophy with a bit more emphasis on combat due to the Kelvin incident.

I would also point at that "big" and "small" are very subjective terms especially when your flying through the infinite expanse of space.

Until we get a ship rivalling a tactical cube in size i suggest you all save your bitching for another day.
  • Options
    navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @therealwraiven

Actually I have no interest whatsoever in changing your mind about the newer Trek incarnations. From my point of view your just being... lets go with silly, complaining about the size of ships. Back in DS9 the Defiant changed size from the credits to the episode & often changed size several times during the episode depending on what was near it. In the older films the 1701/1701A had about 20 decks, except in ST5 when it had 86! The only thing the people working on this game had to go by was the official sizes dictated by the people who own the franchise h the people who made the film & the devs nailed it. They are not wrong.

I might be "silly" as you so delicately put it...I'm sure that's not the word you really wanted to use, but I find you to be very condescending. Therefore any argument I give, you will just see as "silly" and continue to speak to me as such. So I choose not to waste time arguing personal opinions with you, especially when I am not alone by a long shot with my opinion of the JJ Trek. It is not just about the size of the ship...my issue is that JJ just had to come up with a ship that is the largest ever built by the Federation, back in the 1701 Era...which makes no sense what-so-ever. That was just JJ throwing his muscle around and trying to prove a point, that Star Trek is his. There was no other reason for it. Especially considering the crew complement of the thing...that size was completely idiotic. However, the fans of his Trek will defend it with any justification that makes sense to them. So the argument back and forth can go on forever. There is NOTHING you can say in favor that I can't counteract with equal logic...just the same as you can do with anything I say against it. So the conversation is completely useless and will get neither of us anywhere.

You are for it, I am against it. Me and others like me do not even consider JJ Trek Star Trek at all...it is a completely different type of Sci Fi, it just has the skin of Star Trek. I'm sure you disagree...which is fine by me...but you disagreeing with not change my mind. And regardless if you are trying to change my mind or not...you are still arguing opinion with me. I'm finished with the conversation...I simply wanted to call you out for being what you are with me...condescending and arguing personal preference.
  • Options
    carcosa#4225 carcosa Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    If you look at the 2 Kelvin ships next to each other you can clearly see they are pretty much the exact scale of what was in the movie
  • Options
    If you look at the 2 Kelvin ships next to each other you can clearly see they are pretty much the exact scale of what was in the movie

Yeah, that's pretty much been determined. I still don't like it, makes no sense to me at all why they had to be so large, but at least the Devs did their job right and scaled them to correct size. So no blame goes to them...the blame goes to JJ as far as I am personally concerned.
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User

Yeah, that's pretty much been determined. I still don't like it, makes no sense to me at all why they had to be so large, but at least the Devs did their job right and scaled them to correct size. So no blame goes to them...the blame goes to JJ as far as I am personally concerned.

So by your own admission above, this thread is not about you complaining about the size of the ships, nor the ships being ingame, its all about you complaining pure and simply about JJ himself..
  • Options

So by your own admission above, this thread is not about you complaining about the size of the ships, nor the ships being ingame, its all about you complaining pure and simply about JJ himself..

By my own admission? Did you even read the thread or are you just trying to pick a fight? You didn't sit there and read how it had to be explained to me in detail how the ship was sized correctly...if anything it was sized too small? Or did you just skip the whole first page, read my last post and decide to show your inner tough guy based off that?
  • Options
    lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    @jodarkrider I tried, your turn.
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Am I the only person who feels that the Devs made the Kelvin Timeline Dreadnought Cruiser overly large? I mean, the ships grew larger as time went on, suddenly we have this ship that is way out of date that is the largest cruiser in STO. I'm not a big fan and I believe the Devs got the specs on it completely wrong. The thing is larger than the Odyssey Class Cruiser and any of the Star Cruiser variants. That's just ridiculous and surely does not represent canon?

Actually a massive super dreadnought makes more sense for Starfleet to have in the post-Iconian war era. The Klingons have the Bortasqu, the Romulans have the Scimitar. We've encountered massive powerhouse ships like the Tholian Tarantula, Voth Bulwark and the Herald Vonph. Starfleet needs something to counter them.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Actually a massive super dreadnought makes more sense for Starfleet to have in the post-Iconian war era. The Klingons have the Bortasqu, the Romulans have the Scimitar. We've encountered massive powerhouse ships like the Tholian Tarantula, Voth Bulwark and the Herald Vonph. Starfleet needs something to counter them.

Technically Starfleet has had something comparable for some time in the Galaxy-X with its Phaser Lance. While not big in size, she had a big stick to swing. And then we have the Jupiter Carriers and the older Caitian Atrox Carriers. The Vengeance... well... alternate reality origins aside it is a dread I guess. Given 25th Century tech it would probably be able to stand against modern threats.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User

By my own admission? Did you even read the thread or are you just trying to pick a fight? You didn't sit there and read how it had to be explained to me in detail how the ship was sized correctly...if anything it was sized too small? Or did you just skip the whole first page, read my last post and decide to show your inner tough guy based off that?

oh no, i read the whole 2 pages of thread to read all the posts, but as you stated in the end, its all about b*tching about JJ himself for you, hate to be the one to point it out to you if you are too blind to even see your own stupid admission brings you undone..
    by the way, the dreadnought rocks, i love the size, the firepower and sheer awesomeness of the design and thank cryptic for bringing the kelvin timeline into the game..
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    This has gone well... time to put an end to this craziness.
    /Closed
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

This discussion has been closed.