test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Updated System Requirements for Star Trek Online

Comments

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Just found out my laptop supports DirectX 11 so I'm in luck.
  • xanthestarxanthestar Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Well since DX11 crashes a lot before the implementation of this the issues with DX11 needs to be eradicated

As many of us who can use DX11 don't for many many reasons.

^ This.

DX11 works but STO is so buggy with DX11 that my game constantly crashes. The game itself has massive stability issues with DX11. If you're switching over to DX11 exclusively, will you also be fixing these problems?

Because I don't use DX11 because I like not randomly crashing, or randomly being unable to start my game.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    I've been using DirectX 11 for as long as we've been able to and I even have the visuals 2.0 activated and I have no problems whatsoever.

I'm running Windows 8.1 with a GeForce GTX Titan.
  • osi#6269 osi Member Posts: 1 New User
    So, I currently only have integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 3000), and it doesn't support DX11, but it does have Direct3D 11. Will this be able to run STO when the the time to drop support comes back around? I don't care about my game's graphics, I just want to be able to run the game.
  • nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    nefarius2 wrote: »
    I believe i have DirectX 12 (just bought this computer) but according to STO display option screen it says I only have 9? Where do I go from here lol.

There are two things involved with DirectX for any version... software drivers and hardware (the graphics card itself).

Windows 10 is shipped with DirectX 12 drivers. In fact DirectX 12 is only compatible with Win 10 and it cannot be installed in Win 7 or Win 8. The graphics card or integrated graphics core is the hardware side of the equation. A graphics card must be designed to be able to take advantage of the DirectX 12 drivers. Installing a graphics card that only has DirectX 9 support in a Windows 10 computer means that you cannot play games that requires a DirectX 10 or 11 compatible graphics card, and forget about DirectX 12 games.

If you just bought the computer then the graphics card or integrated graphics core it comes with will support DirectX 12... unless you bought a unopened computer manufactured in 2006... which technically still counts as "new" since it has never been owned by anyone before. I doubt you purchased an old "new" PC. Provide a link to the PC you purchased and I'll take a look at it.

Thanks for your reply! I have an HP laptop

• starrfirestarrfire Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I'm not sure what I am supposed to do. I have a laptop. It says it uses Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 and it lists Directx Version: DirectX 12. I use windows 10. On the display tab from the STO game launcher, it only gives me 3 choices: Auto, Direct3D 9Ex #1 - Intel(r) HD Graphics 3000, and Direct3D 9 #1 - Intel(r) HD Graphics 3000 as choices. If it has Directx 12 why is only directx 9 showing in the launcher? Up until a few days ago I was able to play the game at almost all max settings. Now character's faces and bodies are missing, and just a few pieces of gear are showing. Ships barely show their outline, but nothing inside. I am not computer savy, so I am not sure what I need to do to fix my problem. Is there someone that could help me know what I need to do for this problem? Like I said it was running at almost all maxed settings, and running very well until a few days ago. Buying a new computer is not something I can do.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

You're fine. You have a nVidia 940mx GPU which supports up to DirectX 12.
    osi#6269 wrote: »
    So, I currently only have integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 3000), and it doesn't support DX11, but it does have Direct3D 11. Will this be able to run STO when the the time to drop support comes back around? I don't care about my game's graphics, I just want to be able to run the game.
    starrfire wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I am supposed to do. I have a laptop. It says it uses Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 and it lists Directx Version: DirectX 12. I use windows 10.

You are both fine. I have a laptop with the same integrated graphics core that I use to play a secondary free2play only account. The Intel HD 3000 is compatible with DirectX 10. The means you can still play STO when support for DirectX 9 is dropped. Since it is not compatible with DirectX 11, that means you cannot turn on Lighting 2.0 which activates the recent graphics upgrades Cryptic made in STO.

• sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    I'm not sure what I am supposed to do. I have a laptop. It says it uses Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 and it lists Directx Version: DirectX 12. I use windows 10. On the display tab from the STO game launcher, it only gives me 3 choices: Auto, Direct3D 9Ex #1 - Intel(r) HD Graphics 3000, and Direct3D 9 #1 - Intel(r) HD Graphics 3000 as choices. If it has Directx 12 why is only directx 9 showing in the launcher? Up until a few days ago I was able to play the game at almost all max settings. Now character's faces and bodies are missing, and just a few pieces of gear are showing. Ships barely show their outline, but nothing inside.

Your graphic settings are probably reseted when lighting 2.0 came out. You dont crash so it a setting issue, need details of your setting before anyone can help. Try display/resolution scale to max, advance/video memory limit to 1024+ mb, graphics everything to max/lighting 2.0 off and shadow off.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • sagen#3662 sagen Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    Chip type is NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    DAC Type is Integrated RAMDAC
    4069 Mb video memory
    Direct3D accelerators enabled
    Windows 7
    DirectX 11

Please advise if I need a stand-alone card or will I be unable to play after March?
  • dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    The 250 will be fine dude, it's dx10 card.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN
    If it has Directx 12 why is only directx 9 showing in the launcher? Up until a few days ago I was able to play the game at almost all max settings. Now character's faces and bodies are missing, and just a few pieces of gear are showing. Ships barely show their outline, but nothing inside.

To expand a little further....

DirectX is hardware and software. Windows 10 comes with software drivers for up to DirectX 12. However, the Intel HD 3000 only has hardware that supports up to DirectX 10. Since the Intel HD 3000 has not been designed to include hardware that supports DirectX 11 and DirectX 12, it is limited to DirectX 10. The game does not have any a setting specifically for DirectX 10 so the Intel HD 3000 basically defaults to DirectX 9.

I don't think you were playing the game at max settings @ 1366x768 since trying to do that on my laptop with the Intel HD 3000 (and an i5-2410m with 8GB of RAM) makes the game lag. As mentioned by sarah2774, try to increase the video memory limit to 1024+ MB. Also, set all graphic options to their lowest settings. If everything get rendered in the game, then increase the graphic options incrementally and check the graphics in the game. The why somethings do not get rendered is because there is not enough RAM for the graphics core to use and increasing the graphics quality increases the amount of RAM the Intel HD 3000 will use. Increase the graphic options until you are happy with the results; both looks and performance.
  • nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User

You're fine. You have a nVidia 940mx GPU which supports up to DirectX 12.

Thank you again for taking the time to help us tech challenged folks out!
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    QUESTION:

I've got two laptops that I play STO on. One home and one work...

Anyway, I started getting these crashes where STO would run from launcher, get to the Cryptic load screen, and it will stop running. I would get the "Unable to find required game data files. If this problem persists, reinstalling the application may fix the situation" error...

I found a solution, and that was to add the line "-d3d11enable 0 -d3d9" to the launcher's command line in options...

Has Cryptic fixed this? Can I remove the line now and have it run? Or am I still going to have issues? Are they going to make sure that the DX10 and 11 actually work before they cut off players?

Thanks!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    It is possible that you are missing some files or some files could have become corrupted. I believe in the options menu of the Launcher there is an option to Force Verify which will verify all the files in your STO directory. It can take 20 minutes.

Some people still have problems running in DirectX 11. Hopefully Cryptic can address the problem before March 1st, 2017 otherwise they are probably gonna have a decent percentage of the player base not playing the game. Or they have to push back the date.
  • capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Not sure what changed, in-game tech wise between Delta Rising and Lighting 2.0, but, fearing the worst as I've mentioned before, I switched back to DX 11 mode a few days ago to see what would happen...; also kept Lighting 2.0 disabled and, as before, nearly every visual setting at low or off(as I favor performance over visual looks), with renderscale set to .98....

My desktop(a Dell Inspiron 2020 'all in one', currently running Windows 8.1 Update Edition) is DX11 capable, but had issues with STO in DX11 mode since Delta Rising...I haven't updated the game today, but, in the last few days since the switch, I've been running fine with no hiccups at all....

So far, so good.... *fingers crossed, just to be safe*

=edit=

Updated the game, and the launcher itself isn't giving me any warning messages...; guess I'm good for the long haul...I hope!
    Post edited by capemike4 on
    When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    I've seen several people mention that DX11 is "broken" or that the game crashes when using it. I'm sure that's true for some folks, but that does not make it a universal problem. FWIW, I've been running the game in DX11 mode for over a year, no problem.

The bad thing about troubleshooting these kind of issues is there are many pieces involved: hardware resources, system software, graphics drivers, and the game code itself. Even if you think it's futile, I highly recommend logging a support ticket as that will both raise visibility of the problem so Cryptic knows the scope of people affected, and engage Support staff to try to help you.

On that note, I've discovered that using the Support link here is more effective than using the in-game reporting method. They are apparently completely separate ticketing systems. The last issue I had I got a response the next day using web Support (http://www.arcgames.com/en/supportredirect/app/home/), whereas the in-game system had no response at all.

My .02
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    It is possible that you are missing some files or some files could have become corrupted. I believe in the options menu of the Launcher there is an option to Force Verify which will verify all the files in your STO directory. It can take 20 minutes.

Some people still have problems running in DirectX 11. Hopefully Cryptic can address the problem before March 1st, 2017 otherwise they are probably gonna have a decent percentage of the player base not playing the game. Or they have to push back the date.

I -always- run the 'force verify' option once immediately after each update/patch, just to be sure...definitely a good idea! :)
    When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    QUESTION:

I've got two laptops that I play STO on. One home and one work...

Anyway, I started getting these crashes where STO would run from launcher, get to the Cryptic load screen, and it will stop running. I would get the "Unable to find required game data files. If this problem persists, reinstalling the application may fix the situation" error...

I found a solution, and that was to add the line "-d3d11enable 0 -d3d9" to the launcher's command line in options...

Has Cryptic fixed this? Can I remove the line now and have it run? Or am I still going to have issues? Are they going to make sure that the DX10 and 11 actually work before they cut off players?

Thanks!
    CM

I think they fixed it with lighting 2.0 and you can try remove the line. It run smoother on dx11. Only some still have problems. There was a time most of the players had to use that solution to run sto without crash.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I'm trying without the line with the loading forever; will see if it works okay (and if I can turn on lighting 2.0 finally)
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • admiralsvak2admiralsvak2 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    QUESTION:
    CM

I had trouble getting the game to work too and I used that code you just mentioned in the launcher, now it works fine Thanks for sharing a solution to it! ;)
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I'm trying without the line with the loading forever; will see if it works okay (and if I can turn on lighting 2.0 finally)

I am still seeing a very large load first time without the command line and in DirectX11.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • kedranikedrani Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    I've seen several people mention that DX11 is "broken" or that the game crashes when using it. I'm sure that's true for some folks, but that does not make it a universal problem. FWIW, I've been running the game in DX11 mode for over a year, no problem.

The bad thing about troubleshooting these kind of issues is there are many pieces involved: hardware resources, system software, graphics drivers, and the game code itself. Even if you think it's futile, I highly recommend logging a support ticket as that will both raise visibility of the problem so Cryptic knows the scope of people affected, and engage Support staff to try to help you.

On that note, I've discovered that using the Support link here is more effective than using the in-game reporting method. They are apparently completely separate ticketing systems. The last issue I had I got a response the next day using web Support (http://www.arcgames.com/en/supportredirect/app/home/), whereas the in-game system had no response at all.

My .02

Unfortunately, ARC clearly states "For this title, please be aware that we only accept bug reports when submitted in-game. Submitting the bug in-game automatically provides us the information necessary to resolve the issue, such as your character information, in-game location, etc.
    In order to submit a bug report from in-game, open the Help and Support menu. This menu is accessible by clicking the question mark icon found in the HUD in the upper-right corner of the screen."

And right now, the crashes I'm having are not allowing me to report any bugs in-game: that feature works fine if you're seeing a minor problem, but for a crash, by the time it happens, you're already kicked out of the game, so you can't report as it is happening.
  • kedranikedrani Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    kedrani wrote: »
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    You're seriously talking without knowing anything about my system.
    I am going by what you posted before: Radeon HD 7350.
    Before their update, I was able to run STO with almost all settings to the max. As I said before, the problem isn't the hardware, since it used to work just fine. It's all about their broken update.
    Have you logged a support ticket? Clearly it's working fine for other people, such as myself, so the hard part is isolating why it's affecting you. And yes, your system is a part of that equation, both the hardware and software, drivers, etc.

Considering that it was able to handle most settings at max and considering that it does support DirectX 11, with Direct3D 11 level feature 11 (as mentioned in the new requirements), I'd hardly call that card "low-end".

I have filed many tickets in the past and they've never been answered. So, what's the point? Also, having been a QA tester in the past, if you don't provide the devs with specific circumstances about the crash, they won't be able to pinpoint the problem. And since the game crashes on me at just about any moment, regardless of where I am or what I'm doing... And this, only since their latest update. It was very stable before.
    Of the 7xxx series the 7350 is the lowest of the series. Because it's newer then the previous series 6xxx has no bearing on performance. If a vid card has 4 numbers the 1st number is the series and the last 3 indicate how well they will perform with the higher numbers performing the best. So a 7870 is more powerful and it fact it's about 15.5 times more powerful. The 7990 btw is 19 times more powerful. My GTX 970 being 30.5 times more powerful but it is almost 3 1/2 years newer then the rebranded 6350 (7350).

The 7350 can do 3d but it's not really designed for gaming. That's not to say it can't do it. It's just the basic entry model that does dx11. btw the 7350 is just a rebrand of the 6350 as were all the models from 7670 and below. The 7730 and above used the newer CGN 1st gen architecture whereas the 7670 and below used the Terrascale2 architecture from the 6xxx series. If you can play the game that's most excellent. I think an upgrade is warranted soonish though. Sorry, I had to side with freeman as he was correct in his description. Nothing personal, facts are just facts.

I actually did my research today and realized you both are right. Even though the card DOES meet the requirements, by today's standards, it IS an old thing (btw, my 7350 is the 1 gb model not the 512 mb).

Now, that being said... I still feel cheated by Cryptic in the sense that I HAVE the required equipment for the game, but their code doesn't work with the equipment they say meets "best play experience". They want us to use Dx11, but many have reported bugs related to Dx11, on different machines using many types of cards. If it's not specific to a card, then it seems likely that there's more to it than just hardware incompatibility (especially since they list the hardware as working fine).
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    For the few telling me I have corrupted files and/or need to force verify... I have run numerous force verifies, even deleted a few files and reran the force verify. Did the delete everything and reinstalled the entire 16gb game files. TWICE, in fact, since this was done on TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MACHINES, like I mentioned in my post, and I STILL have to run that command line code to get either machine past the Cryptic load screen.

My home laptop is less than a year old (remember, my son dropped the last laptop and the hard drive was shot... Posted a thread about it), and it runs Win 10. The work laptop is less than 6 months old and is running Win 8 (school had software that is incompatible with Win 10, apparently). Neither machine will run STO without the command code SINCE LIGHTING 2.0... Not before...

If you're running the game without problems, good Anya! Great for you! I'm not...

So, here's to hoping Cryptic can fix it before March... I'm an LTSer for many years now, and would feel a bit betrayed if they quit caring about players like me.

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Hoping new upgrades to graphics (maybe the engine, emotes, etc....) are coming our way (beyond lighting effects, etc.).
    edited December 2016
    Just give them time to get dx11 working for amd/ati vid cards. We NVidia people aren't having issues. That's why we own GeForce vid cards. Not really related but Win 10 issues seem to affect everyone. Heck last I checked Solitaire that came with win 10 crashes. I used Map the other day and it crashed. Like wtf. Is it a direct x issue or a microsoft solitaire and Map programmers error issue, f if i know. But STO runs excellent for me as does any other game I play. Cryptic needs to continue working on this obviously. But AMD/ATI need to make better drivers and Microsoft needs to get their sheet together. Love Win 10 64 bit btw even with the issues I and others have. But only because your performance/framerate in games improves by up to 25% depending on the game, for my system anyways.

The price/performance ratio is pretty good right now for video cards. Always buy the newer cards as they're almost always cheaper, minus the rare exceptions. If you want DX12 for example a GTX 1050 non TI version with 2gb is 110 bucks or TI version with 4gb 160 bucks. Same can be said for the AMD vid cards. Just have to research it a bit. Get a amd/ati RX 460 or RX 470 as it's in that price range as well. The RX 460 won't perform as well as the 1050 non TI, but the RX 470 will outperform the 1050TI or so they say. ;)

videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html I like this site for quick comparisons. Like any site it isn't perfect.
    Post edited by dragonsbite on
  • carter60carter60 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    i have a sapphire radeon hd 4870 grapihcs card. will i be albe to keep playing sto?
    Yup it's dx 10 you can play.
  • carter60carter60 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Yup it's dx 10 you can play.

even after march 1?

have a good day
    Post edited by carter60 on