test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

a very unfortunate portrayal of a strong female character in game

Comments

• asindar1asindar1 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    All I have to say is:

Look at what Negan did to Rick Grimes in The Walking Dead.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    If you focus on the gender as a primary concern, you fail at strong characters. Also, even the biggest badass can be in distress.
    Post edited by tyler002 on
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Right, so I made the observation that this isn't a trope since you can just run this mission with a female character....... and that comment is completely overlooked as people insist this is still a trope. Well okay, have fun everyone. :/

Damsel in Distress doesn't necessarily require a male hero, nor is it necessarily automatically sexist, and there are numerous tropes regarding female protagonists of varying degrees of badassery fully capable of filling the rescuer role.

Funny thing about tropes is they're impossible to avoid - even subverting a trope can be a trope in and of itself.
  • admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    Right, so I made the observation that this isn't a trope since you can just run this mission with a female character....... and that comment is completely overlooked as people insist this is still a trope. Well okay, have fun everyone. :/

Actually I agree entirely with your observation being correct, in that females are as likely to be the hero here as not. :)

Qapla!
    The Damsel in Distress is still a Damsel in Distress, regardless of who is coming to save her... The OP's beef is that they don't think Miral could ever be a Damsel in Distress, because no Strong Female Character could Ever be In Distress, so they feel Miral should not be shown as being a Damsel in Distress... To which I contend that it's not for the OP to determine or define or demand how Miral the Damsel acts, and that the devs should ignore the OPs observations as being nothing more than personal political bias, rather than a balanced viewpoint.

I also agree with your extension of that observation. You both are coming at the truth from different sides. Anyone can be in distress, and anyone can be the hero. You are both kind of hitting that, so I don't understand the apparent argument there.

Remove any reference to gender at all and the trope disappears, so yeah, it isn't there unless you put it there, however the person (Miral) is in distress, and could be labeled as a damsel, so yeah, you could say the trope will be here until the word 'damsel' is expunged from the language ...

The point is that being overly protective of only the occasions when a female has the disadvantage is sexist, which the OP apparently is!

Qapla!
  • kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Not worth reading five pages of comments.

To the OP, I can't name the missions offhand, but that is a standard character animation that is used for both male and female NPCs. You are essentially asking for increased complexity in the code, and then a review of all missions, by someone on the dev staff, so that they can swap in the new NPC animation script for female characters...

I'm sure it could be done, but do you really think that is a primary concern, considering its current 'equal opportunity' usage in-game?

Think Pragmatics rather than Social Justice rectification.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    The Damsel in Distress is still a Damsel in Distress, regardless of who is coming to save her... The OP's beef is that they don't think Miral could ever be a Damsel in Distress, because no Strong Female Character could Ever be In Distress, so they feel Miral should not be shown as being a Damsel in Distress... To which I contend that it's not for the OP to determine or define or demand how Miral the Damsel acts, and that the devs should ignore the OPs observations as being nothing more than personal political bias, rather than a balanced viewpoint.

I also agree with your extension of that observation. You both are coming at the truth from different sides. Anyone can be in distress, and anyone can be the hero. You are both kind of hitting that, so I don't understand the apparent argument there.

Remove any reference to gender at all and the trope disappears, so yeah, it isn't there unless you put it there, however the person (Miral) is in distress, and could be labeled as a damsel, so yeah, you could say the trope will be here until the word 'damsel' is expunged from the language ...

The point is that being overly protective of only the occasions when a female has the disadvantage is sexist, which the OP apparently is!

Qapla!
    Thank you, that is my point precisely! The OP was so fixated on how a 'strong female character' may or may not behave, that they were themself being sexist, because they were focussing on the character's gender, and trying to assert that a strong female character can only act (or not act) in a certain manner, because they are female! :D

This is why SJWs are such a bad joke: While they rage and rant for A Group's Cause, they fail to realize that they are themselves only viewing someone/everyone, and judging them, because of Their Group, which is itself, the very definition of prejudiced behaviour! :D

Qapla!
  • wilfred75wilfred75 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I've been playing STO and reading these forums for about 3 years now. I'm someone that doesn't enjoy posting.

But I had to post in this thread to say bravo to markusdkane and the other members for challenging this ridiculous post. Anytime fascism(or sympathy with) is detected it should be confronted. It may start seemingly harmless enough, but things like this are too often a prelude to things much worse.

Dors Venabili
    Liberty Task Force

Askage
    Liberty Honor Guard
  • khan1000khan1000 Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    They need to be fixing bugs not pleasing people over totally irrelevant things.
    giphy.gif
    Fear the Dominion
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I don't see the harm in requesting a different animation, or pointing out that the animation in question doesn't fit the character in that situation. I find myself in agreement with that, just didn't think about it before.

I do see a problem with demanding that an animation be changed and that it is somehow a deliberate slam on all females if the animation isn't changed.

In the greater scheme of things having to do with STO this is not as big an issue as the back-and-forth seems to suggest. If the devs agree, and the devs have the time and resources to deal with it, they will. But why this should be a priority over other things is a bit mystifying to me. Turning this into yet-another SJW trigger issue is over-the-top. If we follow that line of thought to its' logical conclusion, then the only fair thing to do is change the fear animation to something else on every single female NPC in the game. After all, the title of this thread implies that some females are weak, and that's sexist.

It's a game. Plot and gameplay take precedence over any other considerations. There's a reason it never occurred to me to think about it and it has nothing to do with me being sexist. In game terms, the animation is not entirely out of place. Changing an animation to fit the plot, fine. Changing an animation just to avoid offending certain types of over-sensitive people, not fine.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    I don't see the harm in requesting a different animation, or pointing out that the animation in question doesn't fit the character in that situation. I find myself in agreement with that, just didn't think about it before.

I agree with this 100%.
    I do see a problem with demanding that an animation be changed and that it is somehow a deliberate slam on all females if the animation isn't changed.

I also agree with this. But who are you saying did this? Surely you must think someone in this thread did that, or saying it would be stupid. As far as the OP, it concludes with "please correct this". Are you calling that a "demand"?

Also I think the person above who called the OP a facist is disgusting.

I agree with this 100%.

I also agree with this. But who are you saying did this? Surely you must think someone in this thread did that, or saying it would be stupid. As far as the OP, it concludes with "please correct this". Are you calling that a "demand"?

Not in the original post, no. Had it stopped at that I would've agreed, might not have even bothered to post, and moved on. I don't feel the need to indulge in a point-by-point defense of my opinion so I'll just leave it at that and let people make of that whatever they're predisposed to.

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited November 2016

In the greater scheme of things having to do with STO this is not as big an issue as the back-and-forth seems to suggest. If the devs agree, and the devs have the time and resources to deal with it, they will. But why this should be a priority over other things is a bit mystifying to me. Turning this into yet-another SJW trigger issue is over-the-top. If we follow that line of thought to its' logical conclusion, then the only fair thing to do is change the fear animation to something else on every single female NPC in the game. After all, the title of this thread implies that some females are weak, and that's sexist.

It's a game. Plot and gameplay take precedence over any other considerations. There's a reason it never occurred to me to think about it and it has nothing to do with me being sexist. In game terms, the animation is not entirely out of place. Changing an animation to fit the plot, fine. Changing an animation just to avoid offending certain types of over-sensitive people, not fine.

Oh, well, that's not the first time this kind of things happened in this game, and probably not the last.

Remember the case with the TRIBBLE Klingon couple in House Pegh? I'm still surprised there is no talk of the off-screen TRIBBLE Cardassian couple implied during Skirmish now the mission has voice-over.

EDIT: What? "l.e.s.b.i.a.n" is considered a bad word?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1

I agree with this 100%.

Not in the original post, no. Had it stopped at that I would've agreed, might not have even bothered to post, and moved on. I don't feel the need to indulge in a point-by-point defense of my opinion so I'll just leave it at that and let people make of that whatever they're predisposed to.

not asking you for a "point by point". just asking you which post you are calling a "demand". it shouldnt be hard to quote a single post should it?
    edited November 2016

I agree with this 100%.

George Carlin - Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners.

If agreeing with this point makes me disgusting, then I will be disgusting!

Qapla!

Qapla!
    Thank you, that is my point precisely! The OP was so fixated on how a 'strong female character' may or may not behave, that they were themself being sexist, because they were focussing on the character's gender, and trying to assert that a strong female character can only act (or not act) in a certain manner, because they are female! :D

This is why SJWs are such a bad joke: While they rage and rant for A Group's Cause, they fail to realize that they are themselves only viewing someone/everyone, and judging them, because of Their Group, which is itself, the very definition of prejudiced behaviour! :D

Qapla!

You are welcome! Thank you as well! :)

Qapla!
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    not asking you for a "point by point". just asking you which post you are calling a "demand". it shouldnt be hard to quote a single post should it?

Are you asking or are you demanding?

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2016

I agree with this 100%.

I also agree with this. But who are you saying did this? Surely you must think someone in this thread did that, or saying it would be stupid. As far as the OP, it concludes with "please correct this". Are you calling that a "demand"
    It is a demand. Subtle, passive-aggressive, but a demand nonetheless...

:DB)

Typical SJW tactic... When opposed, resort to emotive personal attacks, rather than refute what the person is saying :D:D

I find fascism, in whatever guise it takes, and those who condone, endorse or enforce it disgusting, and will always stand against it.

As has been pointed out by someone who I believe once worked on/for the game; it's one thing to consider changing an animation to better fit the plot, it is something else entirely to be coerced or expected to do so just to avoid offending certain types of over-sensitive people...
    wilfred75 wrote: »
    I've been playing STO and reading these forums for about 3 years now. I'm someone that doesn't enjoy posting.

But I had to post in this thread to say bravo to markusdkane and the other members for challenging this ridiculous post. Anytime fascism(or sympathy with) is detected it should be confronted. It may start seemingly harmless enough, but things like this are too often a prelude to things much worse.

Qapla!

Qapla!

You are welcome! Thank you as well! :)

Qapla!
    You are both very welcome B)

edited November 2016

I agree with this 100%.

I also agree with this. But who are you saying did this? Surely you must think someone in this thread did that, or saying it would be stupid. As far as the OP, it concludes with "please correct this". Are you calling that a "demand"

Typical SJW tactic... When opposed, resort to emotive personal attacks, rather than refute what the person is saying :D:D

I find fascism, in whatever guise it takes, and those who condone, endorse or enforce it disgusting, and will always stand against it.

As has been pointed out by someone who I believe once worked on/for the game; it's one thing to consider changing an animation to better fit the plot, it is something else entirely to be coerced or expected to do so just to avoid offending certain types of over-sensitive people...

in this thread, you have been extremely intolerant of other people's views. you have been extremely aggressive towards anyone who disagrees with you, even throwing personal attacks at them. there is a definition for someone who is acting like you:

JzIXD1c.jpg

there is no doubt, you are extremely "intolerant towards those holding different opinions". that definition fits you perfectly. unfortunately.
    Oh look another personal attack... :D

Yes, I am extremely intollerant of fascist viewpoints and opinions, and I make no apology for it. What does your nice dictionary define someone as, who insists that someone of a particular gender must behave (Edit: Or not behave) in a specific way?

We can wait for you to look it up... B)

I agree with this 100%.

in this thread, you have been extremely intolerant of other people's views. you have been extremely aggressive towards anyone who disagrees with you, even throwing personal attacks at them. there is a definition for someone who is acting like you:

JzIXD1c.jpg

there is no doubt, you are extremely "intolerant towards those holding different opinions". that definition fits you perfectly. unfortunately.
    Oh look another personal attack... :D

Yes, I am extremely intollerant of facist viewpoints and opinions, and I make no apology for it. What does your nice dictionary define someone as, who insists that someone of a particular gender must behave (Edit: Or not behave) in a specific way?

We can wait for you to look it up... B)

there is an old saying: "two wrongs don't make a right". even if someone else is being nasty, being equally nasty in response doesn't mean you win. it just means you are also a nasty person.
    edited November 2016
    [Modded]
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
    edited November 2016
    [Modded out]
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Oh this has got fun...​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

If you're referring to me, I'll set the record straight and say that I never "worked on/for the game". I was a volunteer moderator for a PWE forum, which is a very different thing. I do not speak on behalf of the devs and never did.

Nope. Don't see why I should waste my time on arguing over the semantics. It's an opinion. Last I heard, I'm allowed to have different opinions from other people and defending them is entirely optional on my part.

Nope. Don't see why I should waste my time on arguing over the semantics. It's an opinion. Last I heard, I'm allowed to have different opinions from other people and defending them is entirely optional on my part.

oh yes of course we are all entitled to our opinions. i guess what i am asking is, what was it the OP said that made you think it was a demand instead of a request? or was it nothing at all, and just a "feeling" you had?

If you're referring to me, I'll set the record straight and say that I never "worked on/for the game". I was a volunteer moderator for a PWE forum, which is a very different thing. I do not speak on behalf of the devs and never did.
    Ahh, my mistake, I thought you may have once been a dev or CM at one point, my apologies B)
This discussion has been closed.