Install Arc

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I wouldn't say 'hyped' but ... +1 for new stuff :smiley:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    ? Did I miss something? Don't remember seeing anything related to this?
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I'm just glad they are finally adding them.

We have most every other major species in the Alpha/Beta Quadrant in some way, the Tzenkethi are basically the last ones, besides maybe the Talarians.

We've had the major ones for ages. The Tzenkethi are a footnote at best.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    ahhhh.....makes sense, still at work
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    The Tzenkethi a major species in Trek LMFAO!!!!!!!!! :D

That was a good one
    GwaoHAD.png
  • bonzodog01bonzodog01 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I just hope they give the Romulans a couple more playable races. Right now the choices are Romulan, Reman (Zen), or Alien.
    XBox One - NFV Rylon - T6 Kolasi Siege Destroyer
    British Imperial Armada
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    It's interesting, I'd love to see what they do with them. Though while you're listing major powers, don't forget the Kzinti (sp?)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    It's interesting, I'd love to see what they do with them. Though while you're listing major powers, don't forget the Kzinti (sp?)

Kzinti are still trademarked by Nivin I believe. So other than the instance in TAS and the SFB game, they can't be touched. I think the Ferasans were supposed to be a stand in here in STO, just like the Mirak basically became the Kzinti stand ins in SFC2.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    what do they look like?
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    jim625 wrote: »
    what do they look like?
    Nobody knows.

The guy who made up the name said he imagined them as heavily armored lizard things though.

A lot of the more reliable descriptions of them make them out to be kaleidoscopic humanoids of some sort.
    Either way, whatever they look like in-game will more than likely be the CBS approved semi-official design for them. Practically nothing gets into this game without being run by someone from the IP holders.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    Uh... Spoiler alert?
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »
    The Tzenkethi are one of the larger ones actually, they just never appeared in the TV shows.

In terms of size its
    1. The Federation
    2. The Klingon Empire
    3. The Breen and The Tholians
    4. The Romulans
    5. The Cardassians
    6. The Gorn and The Metron Consortium
    7. The Talarians, Tzenkethi, Ferengi, First Federation

The first five and the Ferengi are all the main species with the Tholians and Breen a bit debatable. If it never appeared onscreen then even the knowledge of the race is limited to a tiny fraction.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    The Tzenkethi are one of the larger ones actually, they just never appeared in the TV shows.
    What a hilarious contradictory statement.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

Not really, they're referenced several times in DS9, including a war with the Federation, but never make an on screen appearance. Takes a certain amount of size for the federation to have a war on its hands and not a 'lol ignore the little kids'
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited October 2016

Not really, they're referenced several times in DS9, including a war with the Federation, but never make an on screen appearance. Takes a certain amount of size for the federation to have a war on its hands and not a 'lol ignore the little kids'
    I could name every single on screen race and all of them would be more noteworthy than the Tzenkethi. As it stands the "Tosk" are more noteworthy.

Still, I'm interested to see what Cryptic comes up with since it's presumably sanctioned by the IP owners.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    should be interesting to see if they go with the creator's opinion of what they were or typhon pact novel opinion
  • mas134gluck123mas134gluck123 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    somewhere in my memory it rings that Tzenkethi aren't so advanced, and Federation could crush them easily, tho they evading possible war with them from some reason. Maybe they are guerilla warfare experts, but maybe i'm wrong.

But in STO they shouldn't present big threat, as our charachter can eliminate any threat so its better that they stay out our way :P
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    So, we get us a few pirates... meh...
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I'm just glad they are finally adding them.

We have most every other major species in the Alpha/Beta Quadrant in some way, the Tzenkethi are basically the last ones, besides maybe the Talarians.

Talarian ships have been in the game like forever, roaming somewhere in the Beta-Quadrant - they're just not doing anything.

And aside from a few mentions throughout the ST-canon, the Tzenkethi were never seen or properly explained.

somewhere in my memory it rings that Tzenkethi aren't so advanced, and Federation could crush them easily, tho they evading possible war with them from some reason.

The reason is probably a very simple one. The Federation most likely just does not WANT to pointlessly crush a civilization.

It's more likely that the Federation-Council hopes to someday integrate the Tzenkethi into the Federation or at least make friends with them.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User

size matters not

the rebellion was barely more than a handful of dissident worlds and a few outdated starships/snubfighters, yet the empire in general and palpatine in particular still considered them enough of a threat to send star destroyers and vader after them on multiple occasions - and this was BEFORE they stole the death star plans and then blew up the death star itself​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • shren#1472 shren Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Unless I can play as one I could care less. Im still pissed we cant play as a voth. It just doesnt make sense to me to have all these ships and technology of these races but not be able to play as them.
    " Live Long And Assimilate "
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    You might wonder if size on the map is a good (or if it should be the only or most important) indication though. We're talking about space after all, there will always be a lot of emptiness between each world.

So a very small power on the map that controls only one or a handful of systems could actually be a very consolidated and powerful empire. Look at how often the Federation wasn't able to defend its own territory even though it is the largest power on the map. Likely the case because there's just too much space to cover and too little defensive capabilities for such a large swath of space. Size doesn't say a lot on its own.

And of course, cultural aspects such as dedication or pride also play a role. The Ferengi for example may control a significant part of space, their culture seems to merit personal gain and entrepreneurship like capitalism does. Such a culture will probably be a less significant power (as considered by others in foreign relations) than a more collectivist one.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Unless I can play as one I could care less. Im still pissed we cant play as a voth. It just doesnt make sense to me to have all these ships and technology of these races but not be able to play as them.

Yeah that's definitely a disappointment, to see one of the oldest and most interesting and advanced cultures being reduced to something that serves mainly as targeting practice or just a nice source of dilithium.