test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion bucket for Foundry NPC's (+list of missing enemy factions)

duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
Greetings various bipeds,

I'd like to preface this discussion by saying: we're all very grateful to the devs for all the work they do to support the foundry, especially that big bunch of Cryptic NPC's we got recently. They've been very useful, and have inspired authors to create new stories within the STO universe (ex. my Admiral Quinn mission intro gags.)

But (you knew there was a but coming) there can always be more. But that doesn't need to be a brain-wracking selection process. In the name of making (relatively) easy to implement suggestions to improve the Foundry, I thought it would be a capital idea to draw up a list of NPC's that we authors would like to see added as Foundry NPC contacts which Cryptic can browse when considering future additions. :)

So, let's get started...

Here's Drogyn1701's list of missing in-game Foundry contacts. Feel free to add any more you find and comment in this thread on which ones you'd most like to see (it would help prioritize the colossal list of possibilities.)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VrsnPShkwXGgLJ8DZEL6z0cgIa-5drsdrQYrHbSaioc/edit

And for easy reference, here's a list of missing NPC factions that we don't have at the moment as contact NPC's. Of all suggestions, these may be of greatest use since we do have the combat mobs (but no easy way of involving them with dialog).
  • Herald
  • Krenim (besides Noye)
  • Na'Kuhl
  • Tzenkethi
  • Salt Vampire
Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
Post edited by duncanidaho11 on

Comments

• dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    All of them! Hehe. But here's a shortlist of who I'd like for my various mission:
    • Flagship Crews
    • Temporal Agents: Crey, Q'on, Kail
    • Admiral Kererek
    • Subcommander Nadel
    • Subcommander Koal
    • Obisek!
    • Intelligence Contacts: Galera, Mena, Rai Sahen
    • Generic Ranked NPCs: Romulan Republic, Terran Empire, Vaadwaur Supremacy (oh wow, when did we get them?), Female TOS Klingons, TOS Orions, TOS Romulans
    • Flagships
    • Invisible Contact for Audio-Only Dialogs
    • Chulak
    • Kor
    • Admiral Garret (Prime and Kelvin)
    • Existing Federation contacts in Odyssey Excursion/Dress uniforms (and use them in your missions, too, Cryptic devs!)
    • Alternate Romulan contacts from The Temporal Front (Jarok, Koal, Kererek)
    • Task Force Omega (particularly Roxy and D'Vak)

-edit-

The shortlist is getting longer... but I removed some that got added without me noticing.
    Post edited by dragonsbrethren on
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    -Terran Empire-

Admiral Leeta
    (Ground) Terran Officers
    (Space) Terran Ships

-Vorgons-

(Whatever those two were called from 'temporal front'

-Space Stuff-

Crystalline Entity

Space Jellyfish!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    All the new ships that are costume slots? /Rabble rabble rabble ... I don't want to waste a costume slot on Vorgon ships /rabble rabble rabble
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Well, to be honest, it'd be nice to have premades for Vorgon ships(and similar things) just because the premade will look like the Vorgons you see in story missions. Otherwise you'll need to spend a considerable amount of time tinkering to get it right.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    Would not be bad some good old fashioned horses...
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2016

The one thing I'll inject here is that I intended this thread to suggest new NPC's that either exist in the game (but are not in the Foundry) or are from Foundry missions (provided they can be of use to Foundry authors at large).

If we start looking at things that don't exist in the game yet, we enter into the much thornier question of developing new assets for the Foundry. That's probably not going to happen. So, instead what I'd like to develop is a reference list for our Foundry Patrons/Matrons at Cryptic that could help identify which NPC's would be most useful (from our point of view) to add, in the same vein as other NPC groups added to the Foundry (see. Mirror characters, faction notables, VOY parody characters, Iconians, ect.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Steal it from Neverwinter's foundry?

The one thing I'll inject here is that I intended this thread to suggest new NPC's that either exist in the game (but are not in the Foundry) or are from Foundry missions (provided they can be of use to Foundry authors at large).

If we start looking at things that don't exist in the game yet, we enter into the much thornier question of developing new assets for the Foundry. That's probably not going to happen. So, instead what I'd like to develop is a reference list for our Foundry Patrons/Matrons at Cryptic that could help identify which NPC's would be most useful (from our point of view) to add, in the same vein as other NPC groups added to the Foundry (see. Mirror characters, faction notables, VOY parody characters, Iconians, ect.)

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited October 2016
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Steal it from Neverwinter's foundry?

I don't know the technical specifics for why this can't happen (it's been ruled out before), so I'll make something up instead.

The Systems Wizard that monitors the Neverwinter Foundry Domain has cast a spell on all within. If ever they break out they'll turn into giant orcs and savage any who happen to be near. Add to that, the STO Server Demons have a terrifying reaction to encroaching orcs, a deep seated racial attribute, and they too will savage everything in sight if an orc is discovered in their realm. Also, orcs explode when savaged by server demons, and server demons explode when exploded by orcs.

If Cryptic tried to transplant Foundry assets from Neverwinter to STO, the results would be catastrophic.

I do believe that's a comprehensive explanation of the problem. So, we should stick with what we have in game or what's possible to build in the tailor with existing assets.
  • theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Have you ever seen what horses do to starship decks? 'nuff said :P
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    While building my new mission I've noticed (to my chagrin) that there are no generic Voth ship costumes available. (There are Voth ground NPCs, just not ships.) So I would add those to the list.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    All of the NPC ships should be added. Most of them are already there, so it wouldn't be *that* hard to get the rest. The Terran and Voth ships are still missing.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • geoff484geoff484 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Not sure if it counts, but there's some special effects assets I'd like to see.

Transporter beam effect - Not sure if this can be ripped from characters, but imagine what we could do with these with triggers. It would solve the beam out problem as opposed to them just fading away.

Weapons fire sound effect, so we can do space combat from a ship interior.
    banner_zpsowioz7sn.jpg
  • vicormavicorma Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    For my foundry storyline I need:

Vengeance ship
    vengeance bridge
    Intrepid bridge

I also like to see all system maps in the foundry, include the patrol systems. This saves a lot of time and players recognize the ingame map.
    Hera%20squad%20logo1a.png
    vicorma wrote: »
    Vengeance ship
    vengeance bridge
    Intrepid bridge

To help guide discussion, I intended this thread to be about adding characters. There may be other things we want too but those would be best handled as separate topics.
  • vicormavicorma Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Vengeance ship
    vengeance bridge
    Intrepid bridge

To help guide discussion, I intended this thread to be about adding characters. There may be other things we want too but those would be best handled as separate topics.

Oh sorry, I thought a ship was a NPC contact?

The other suggestions are indeed not NPC's. Again sorry I add it in this threat.
    Hera%20squad%20logo1a.png
    has anyone suggested Kuumarke yet? there is NO way to even make a decent imitation.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2016
    has anyone suggested Kuumarke yet? there is NO way to even make a decent imitation.

Assuming that is the Lukari chick ... this guy has made a pretty good one.

p5bz15bh2sax.jpg

Link
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited November 2016

Oh sorry, I thought a ship was a NPC contact?

'Tis but I believe the Vengeance is already available through the costume creator. My goal with this thread is to create some kind of list Cryptic could sort through if ever they need ideas for characters to add to the list of default NPC's we have available. Adding the Vengeance there might be helpful to some authors but with ships there isn't a lot of time saved by doing that (since there's no sliders involved, it's relatively easy to mock-up with a custom space NPC.)

Kelvin timeline NPC's could certainly stand to be mentioned here, though if what you need most are just the costumes then I've already got another thread running for adding missing (but existing) ground customization bits in the Foundry. :)
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1214494/foundry-ground-costumes-those-missing-in-action

Oh ye of little faith.
    Kuumarke.jpg
    The only thing we don't have is the eyes (insert: can we have? suggestion here), but the old "eyes: slit" is the next best thing.

And for the record, the only slider I had to adjust from a certain Ibi was the lip size. :tongue:
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    A couple of characters on the list actually do have NPC costumes now: D'Tan and Commander Burgess. (Oddly, he's the only faction Intel contact available; the KDF and Romulan Republic Intel contacts are not.)
    I meant her outfit.... It's... unique.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    I meant her outfit.... It's... unique.

It is (for now, never know what the next lock box or rep might bring :tongue: ) but that kind of character detail is relatively easy to change for a Foundry mission.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    The Salt Vampires would be useful.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    I'll throw in any Na'kuhl at this point too. I realized on tonight's Roundtab is that it's technically impossible at the moment to write a Na'kuhl episode because while we have their NPC mobs for combat, we don't have NPC contacts for dialog.
    I'll throw in any Na'kuhl at this point too. I realized on tonight's Roundtab is that it's technically impossible at the moment to write a Na'kuhl episode because while we have their NPC mobs for combat, we don't have NPC contacts for dialog.

Don't have them talk? :open_mouth:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    hmm... and we can't make good facsimiles I guess? (never tried making a Na'kuhl)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited January 2017
    hmm... and we can't make good facsimiles I guess? (never tried making a Na'kuhl)

We could if (I'm going to make angry shouting noises at Cryptic for a moment) THE NA'KUHL SKIN TYPE WASN'T TAKEN AWAY FROM US IN THE TAILOR (sorry, but that was a hugely useful and awesome skin texture that was in the Foundry when I first started working on it :tongue: ). As it is you might be able to do a little something with a Na'kuhl female using the tellarite skin and as much facial obscuring as possible (goggles+rebreather) but it's definitely an uphill battle (nothing really fits well).

For males, maybe the same thing but with the bajoran vedek hood standing as a balaclava to further hide the shame of improvising in-game assets. :P
    thay8472 wrote: »

Don't have them talk? :open_mouth:
    Unfortunately they're the type to give loud gloating speeches when they should be shooting you. :(
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    I very much support having the Na'kuhl skin for costumes, please, and preferably some ready-made Na'kuhl NPCs too. So THAT's why there aren't any Na'kuhl Foundry missions! I was puzzled!

I've had a plan for a while of making a whodunnit in a Na'kuhl refugee camp (I don't know when it'll get done, though). Obviously, I'd need LOADS of Na'kuhl, including custom ones if at all possible. If not, then the best I'd be able to do is say "Author's Note: The Na'kuhl in this mission are played by Letheans. I know they're Letheans, but the Foundry currently doesn't have the Na'kuhl makeup from the game."
    Tzenkethi too!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User

What about using Reman skin and facial features to make a Na'kuhl NPC? It's been said in-game and in some of the stories posted on the site that they have tried to pass themselves off as Remans before.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."