test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone play a cardassian romulan?

Since I transferred to console I'm having to start over, and my starfleet caitian is almost to 50 now, so I've started looking at alts. On PC I had two fed caitians, a kdf ferasan, a kdf gorn, and two romulan...romulans. Never unlocked reman, I like their character but not particularly their appearance options, and that's all the roms were able to use other than the generic aliens.

On PC a couple of my bridge officers for my fed characters were "cardassian" (Alien boffs customized to look cardassian). Lately I've been tossing around the idea of making a cardassian player character on the romulan faction. My trek lore is a little sketchy and faded but the two seem like they would be similar. Obsidian order/tal shiar, both very sneaky militaristic species with imperial governments, shady and calculating, etc. I cant seem to recall if the two got along in DS9 episodes or if they were at odds.

What do you think of the concept? Cardassian, possibly an obsidian order agent that was working with the tal shiar/romulans at the time of the hobus supernova, ends up fleeing with the rest of the refugees - reman and romulan alike - and winds up with the romulan republic. Seems like the republic would be well aided by a cardassian that can think like their enemies (the tal shiar).

Just looking for opinions =P

Comments

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    If YOU like the concept run with it. It is YOUR character after all. That said, yes there are plenty of opportunities in lore for 'officer exchange' type situations. Doesn't need to be OO/TS related either, he could be part of the new federation friendly spoonhead govt. They have hard restrictions on their "military" just like Japan did post WWII. Perhaps your alt represents one way current spoonheads are maintaining a group of trained personnel above what they could field themselves.
  • thecoffinflythecoffinfly Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    They were going to bombard the Founder homeworld together, IIRC, but I think that was more of an expediency than anything else and, for that matter, that was before the escalation of the Dominion War proper . I can't imagine the two races getting along...

That said, this is Star Trek. :smile:
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    my one oddball is a Kobali(formerly romulan) and his XO is a Kobali(formerly klingon) with a photonic Kobali Engineer...... Needless to say that does weird things given that he's also a delta recruit
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    You can do whatever you want. That said, I have a Cardassian-Alien RRF that's KDF aligned on PC. One of my most powerful characters.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    I have a Cardassian (Alien) who grew up as a part of the Dominion - now flying in a Romulan ship for the KDF
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Aliens aren't generic, they're Awesome.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Story-Wise, the challenge with a former Obsidian Order agent in the Romulan Republic might be the age. I don't think Cardassians live as long as Vulcans or Romulans, and the Obsidian Order was already defunct when the Cardassian invited the Dominion in the Alpha Quadrant. And it was certainly not reinstated after the war.

But maybe that still leaves room for someone that was a young agent and now is old, grey, bitter and disillusioned but still alive and kicking.

Since the cardassians are kinda "broken people" since the devestation the Dominion inflicted on their homeworld, he could also just be someone that was trying to carve out a new place for his people, finding like-minded people among the Romulans that needed every help they could get on their new colonies.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Story-Wise, the challenge with a former Obsidian Order agent in the Romulan Republic might be the age. I don't think Cardassians live as long as Vulcans or Romulans, and the Obsidian Order was already defunct when the Cardassian invited the Dominion in the Alpha Quadrant. And it was certainly not reinstated after the war.

But maybe that still leaves room for someone that was a young agent and now is old, grey, bitter and disillusioned but still alive and kicking.

Since the cardassians are kinda "broken people" since the devestation the Dominion inflicted on their homeworld, he could also just be someone that was trying to carve out a new place for his people, finding like-minded people among the Romulans that needed every help they could get on their new colonies.

There is also time travel and stasis pods and all sorts of freakish things that could explain a younger character that was part of the Order. :)

On another note I find it tragic that people always assume that all members of a species are carbon copies of their military/intelligence. Bumps on their heads or not, people are people. :(
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    qjunior wrote: »
    On another note I find it tragic that people always assume that all members of a species are carbon copies of their military/intelligence. Bumps on their heads or not, people are people. :(
    I understand that feeling. This forum tends to annoy me for that reason; most people I've seen asking for the RSE or acting like Klingons on the forum seem to keep making that mistake.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    I suppose I could make him look older, most people make young characters so that's more way to stand out. Doesn't have to be ex obsidian order, maybe just ex military or a reject of the true way. I just think a character with a military background would be able to portray the intelligent, conniving cardassian well.

Anyone know about cardassian naming themes? I'm thinking I may want to give him a somewhat generic name so if I eventually decide I don't want him to be a cardassian I can just change appearance
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    coolbatman wrote: »
    I am Kirok!..............I am Kirok!

Kirok is in the game.. he doesnt play often, but he is in the game. handle is @CaptKirok IIRC

Spock.jpg

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    I think it's a sound concept, though I'd be reluctant (somewhat) to reference the Tal Shiar - Obsidian Order connection. It wouldn't be too long a shot to think that some Cardassians, following the war, would have joined a more peaceful organisation (such as D'Tan), nor would it be too big a stretch to think that Cardassians (some at least) would join D'Tan on Mol'rhian.

I had hoped that back when LoR launched, Cryptic would have allowed for playable Cardassians (and Suliban) within the Republic, but that never happened. You best get saving for your Keldon (or Galor). :smiley:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • kradosskkradossk Member Posts: 4 New User
    That's a great idea and concept that can definitely work. A few years back I did the BOFF creation method for a Cardassian Federation BOFF with a story of how he followed Nog's example in enrolling into Starfleet Academy, albeit for the science and medical fields, and after great pains made it through and the Federation assigned him the task of working on a Romulan Republic-allied vessel as part of an equal alliance gesture and intent. That seemed to work well for him, as he stuck around ever since and became the de facto science expert on the away teams... till Nelen Exil was found anyway, but that's under the bridge for both of those guys. :P
  • aries73321aries73321 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Since I transferred to console I'm having to start over, and my starfleet caitian is almost to 50 now, so I've started looking at alts. On PC I had two fed caitians, a kdf ferasan, a kdf gorn, and two romulan...romulans. Never unlocked reman, I like their character but not particularly their appearance options, and that's all the roms were able to use other than the generic aliens.

On PC a couple of my bridge officers for my fed characters were "cardassian" (Alien boffs customized to look cardassian). Lately I've been tossing around the idea of making a cardassian player character on the romulan faction. My trek lore is a little sketchy and faded but the two seem like they would be similar. Obsidian order/tal shiar, both very sneaky militaristic species with imperial governments, shady and calculating, etc. I cant seem to recall if the two got along in DS9 episodes or if they were at odds.

What do you think of the concept? Cardassian, possibly an obsidian order agent that was working with the tal shiar/romulans at the time of the hobus supernova, ends up fleeing with the rest of the refugees - reman and romulan alike - and winds up with the romulan republic. Seems like the republic would be well aided by a cardassian that can think like their enemies (the tal shiar).

Just looking for opinions =P

I have a character set up like that. His backstory is he was part of the True Way, then worked for the Federation before "retiring" on Virinat, joining the Rom Republic after the attack.

• telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    I ended up aligning mine with the KDF rather than the federation, so now those klingons have to deal with the honorless cardassians AND romulans on their side =P

• fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    He can be a refugee from the Obsidian Order or a sleeper agent for the Tal'Shiar. Or he was surgically altered and you're trying to inform him that he is, indeed, a Romulan. Or...
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • undedavengerundedavenger Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    I just want some Ferengi parts in the character editor so I can create a Ferengi captain that does not have to spend 60 levels working as a do-gooder for hoo-mons.
    Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...