test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What species is left that can be a faction?

Comments

• Options
    kapla5571kapla5571 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Probably the easiest way to add a new faction [mini-faction?] into game would be to give them a mini arc of 5-10 episodes [max], then make them level 50.
    Player chooses skill points and then start the Borg advance arc as all factions follow the same story from there on.
    Quite a few could be added that way even a loosely aligned freelance [Han Solo type] faction. They could then do various patrols, which more should be added into game anyway to bulk up some imo.
    If they have to choose a faction for earlier arcs, then have those prefaced as training simulations.
    Borg Cooperative, Cardassians, alpha Jem'hadar could easily be added that way with minimal investment in new ship design needed.

Still waiting for recovered S'ona ships to be added to Lobi store as they did supply the Cardassians and alpha jem'hadar during the Dominion wars according to STO lore [irrc].
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    xyquarze wrote: »
    asuran14 wrote: »
    a delta-quad faction that comprise several of the larger races of that quadrant. I dcoud see it being you can choose to play as a rebel Vaadwaur, Voth, Hazari, Banthen, borg coupertive, and maybe one other race like the Turei.

would actually work, and better so than Cardassia (too small, ships already lockboxed, ...), but who, especially as a new player, really yearns for a Benthan?

Well that is the fact why you make several playable races in that faction, as some very well could want to play as a Banthen from watching voyager just as well as wanting to play as a hazari or Voth even. I personally would love to play as a Vaadwaur myself as I like their look an style. Also having a whole new set of missions arcs that lead up to the introduction of the alpha/beta quadrant factions arriving in the delta could be exactly a push for players to play a new faction actually.

The reason is that more often than not I hear people talking about how they hate to re-tread old content to get up to speed, which to some extent leveling the kdf/rom/fed factions you are playing thru somewhat the same content. Where as with a delta quad faction you would be able to play thru completely different content that showcases what was happening specifically prior to the main factions arriving. Also I don't think that afew ships being in the lockboxes/lobi-store is that bad, since you can have versions of them still in the faction that are different enough to warrant them.
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    I could see the Cardassians being added in a similar way to the Romulans. They're rebuilding after the war. They do their thing with support of the Fed and Klingons. After their initial Romulan Republic like arc plays out, they are, for whatever reason they cook up, forced to choose a side to ally with.

As far as those crying that the Galor and Keldon are in boxes already, gee it's a damn shame that tech doesn't exist to have faction specific lockbox choices. Oh.......wait a tick..........IT DOES! IT DOES! So, the argument could be made that the Galors and Keldons are being offered as reparations to the Feds, KDF, and Romulans like they established WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back when the Cardy box first came out. And for the Cardies, they could get, I don't know what, maybe there's some kind of Dominion ship I'm forgetting that could be sold as "hey this is salvage we're fixing up!" Or, maybe, and this MIGHT take a bit of work but.........maybe they could give Federation aligned Cardassians something like......I don't know maybe an Excelsior would be the equivalent, and KDF aligned Cardassians would get like a Vor'cha or something, at least in regards to the Galor. Maybe T6 Galaxy and Neg'var for the Keldon. An argument could even be made to let them choose a Romulan ship the D'Deridex or the Mogai, as they'd be all on the same side. The lockbox thing can be solved. It's just a matter of what they think is acceptable. I know I for one wouldn't mind having a Cardassian flying around in an Excelsior.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    The reason is that more often than not I hear people talking about how they hate to re-tread old content to get up to speed, which to some extent leveling the kdf/rom/fed factions you are playing thru somewhat the same content. Where as with a delta quad faction you would be able to play thru completely different content that showcases what was happening specifically prior to the main factions arriving. Also I don't think that afew ships being in the lockboxes/lobi-store is that bad, since you can have versions of them still in the faction that are different enough to warrant them.
    The problem with that is
    1. It would take like 3 expansions worth to make enough content for a Delta Quad faction(for example) to reach from level 1 to the start of Delta rising
    2. There was nothing going on in the Delta quad shortly before we got there, which was not too long after the Vaadwuar started their attacks.

Adding to the Delta quad backstory would introduce contradictions into the already established plot, and it would be weird since none of that stuff gets mentioned in Delta rising itself.

I can see the first problem/point as abit of a double sided sword of sorts, as it would yes take alot of time, but would also give alot of uniqueness an appeal to alts as well. It would make people that are burnt out on re-treading the same missions something to do, even if after the start of the delta rising we would mesh with the other factions again.

I highly doubt that there was nothing going on before we got their, since it does seem like the race that the voth were wanting to get the spheres to help deal with was the Vaadwaur, and even seeing the starting of the war with the Vaadwaur, as well as interactions of the other delta races would be enough. I was actually talking even before delta more like during the time of the us working in the spheres an such too.

Adding contradictions to the established plots, and having to add things into the existing missions to make things work is not that new. even before the Iconian war we had a issue like that in which they made changes an updates to the missions to flesh out that it was the Iconians we were dealing with, and also reworking on how some of the mission text worked to facilitate the narrative.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    My honest opinion on this is: There aren't any species left to make a playable faction.

rofl?
    2UXrsvl.jpg
    just throw a stone to pick one...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    Hate to say this but at this junction, the only species that can be made a faction would be the borg, unless cryptic in their infinite incompetence starts putting borg ships in boxes (Truth be told i expect that soon).

Cryptic is pretty much showing us they are not interested, in doing an expansion on the level of LoR ever again sad really, and with the console version being developed and worked on , what resources could they put into a new faction, tbh im starting to wonder how long the game has left , im only seeing money grab after money grab but nothing as far as real growth, even the console version is just a way to grab a new source of money.

Sure its a business as the white knights and cryptic fanbois would tout , but with newer and better games coming out and on the horizon, how long can this game compete with such titles like "No mans sky" and what not, sooner or later everyone will need to face facts that STO is not in a good place, and cryptic needs to relise whether you have the players or not ,new factions keep players already in game interested and will attract new players if for anything else so they can play their favorite race.

I'm no fanboy, but they have to feed the hamsters.
    I'm not fond of the lockbox-thing but if it pays the bills then no one should hold that against Cryptic.

Previous posts indicate there are 2 main Factions, that's not the case anymore.
    There is only the one Fed faction.

There are only 2 real options for viable Factions, Borg (Collective, not so much Cooperative but it's acceptable as well) and the Dominion (without...repeat...WITHOUT the Cardashians).
    All other options are irrelevant.

I've posted this before and I'll post it again here:
    What this game needs is an OpFor.
    The Borg Collective has always been a threat and the Dominion's cold "relationship" can turn red hot.
    PvP will become relevant again.

I would definitely be interested in their arcs prior to and post-Iconian War.
    I would be more than happy to delete my current toons to make room for Borg/Dominion ones...and buy their shiny stuffs.
    AND IT BETTER STAY THEIR STUFFS, CRYPTIC.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    I agree I don't think that a dominion/cardassian faction would happen, but I could see something like a union between the cardassians an the romulan republic. The romulans would stay as a semi-faction with the cardassians just joining them out of a sense of understanding after both had lost quite abit. Might be weird I could also see maybe the alpha jem'hadar doing this as well bolstering a quite small faction like the romulans population. Give them maybe their own linked starting missions that would line up with them joining the romulans just prior to the rom's choosing to go fed or Kdf.
  • Options
    mas134gluck123mas134gluck123 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    Large post incoming!
    nikephorus wrote: »
    I had always hoped for a True Way type faction that combined the Dominion and Cardassians, but Cryptic has already released the majority of their ships as T5 and T6 box prizes. I guess that leaves only the Borg Cooperative.

I hate to break it to you, but Cryptic is against enemy factions being playable. It's one reason the Romulans turned out to be the Romulan Republic. The True Way are an enemy faction in that they do not want to cooperate with the Federation, Klingons or the Romulan Republic in anything. They want to have Cardassia be militaristic rather than cooperative.
    risian4 wrote: »
    Don't know about any species that are left, but there is one species that would be right to add as a faction:
    Voth.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a full faction, something like AoY could work too: just a handful of missions that explain your arrival in the Alliance, and then you're just another playable species within that alliance.

I think that would be the best way to add new 'factions': just as playable species, preferably with some premium variant that has an unique active ability trait, with a couple of unique episodes and maybe a small unique social zone. Full factions should not be added anymore imo. It's just not possible to properly maintain them and we end up being part of the same Alliance anyway so I don't see the need for true unique factions.

The Voth aren't exactly a species that would get along with every other species. They seem to have a bias against mammalian based species, so the ones they'd likely tolerate are the Gorn, Xindi-Reptilians & Saurians. Plus, a lot of their ships are either lock box, lobi store or promotion ships already.
    Vaadwaur supremacy, Terran Empire, Romulan Star Empire, Lyran star empire, hydran empire, liberated Gorn Hegemony, Tholians, Krenim Imeprium, Zahl Technocracy, Kazon Sects, Bentheans, B'Omari Sovergainity, Quaranns, Q, Ferengi Alliance, Cardassian Union, Suliban state(at some point), Son'a, Quantum singularity life forms which lives inside romulan ships, Organians, that black thing in space from TOS and TNG, that looks like hole in space, Terran Empire, Hurq, Voth, Breen, Deferi, Species 8472/Undine, Na'Kuhl, Iconians, Tamarians, etc.......etc...etc and many not yet discovered

I am taking these one at a time.

Vaadwaur Supremacy: They are essentially an enemy faction so they will never be playable.

Terran Empire: Enemy faction as well, since they have always seemed to be very antagonistic in history.

Romulan Star Empire: Little remains of them as a faction since most of them have broken away due to the problems faced once Sela disappeared. Plus, we have the Romulan Republic for Romulans, so defintiely no.

Lyran Star Empire & Hydran Empire: Non-canon powers, where the former we don't have a clue to their looks and the latter is from another game so they'd need a big negotiation with CBS over that. Not going to happen.

Liberated Gorn: Not going to happen since they would be an antagonist faction to the other playable factions.

Tholians: No chance in hell. They're extremely xenophobic and while they appear at the Temporal accords, I think they would rather do their own things than cooperate with the alliance which would be needed for the story. Plus, it would be a lot of work to make the models look right for animations and customization would be extremely limited.

Krenim Imperium & Zahl: Kind of lumped together because of the Year of Hell Lock box. Most ships are ether lock box, lobi, event or promotion ships so there's little chance they would be a playable faction, plus we don't know what the Zahl look like.

Kazon sects: Ewwwww no. We've seen how they don't like to cooperate anyway so its not likely they could be any good. If the borg don't want them, I don't either!

Benthans: Not really much to go on besides them being the Delta Quadrant's police force. Big pass.

B'omar Sovereignty: I think because this game is about cooperation, xenophobic species won't work, especially since we have seen little about them.

Quarren: Definite pass on them.

Q: Pretty much an "I win" button with them since they're so powerful. I don't know what you're smoking to think that they could ever be playable.

Ferengi Alliance: They are one of a more likely group to possibly see as a playable faction, though it's probably more unlikely that we get them considering what has happened with their ships.

Cardassian Union: Finally one that should make sense. A lot of work would need to be put in to justify the fact that they recently released the Keldon as a lock box ship on console. The developers though have stated they're a likely faction though to be considered.

Suliban: They had the chance to add them to the Romulans due to the fact that we can call them via the comm code on the Romulan side, but didn't. Not sure if they will ever.

Son'a: I think getting them is unlikely due to them not really being much of a faction.

Quantum Singularity Lifeform: Not likely since they exist outside of normal space.

Organians: I don't think so.

Hurq: Don't know much about them so unlikely.

Breen: Limited customizaton, all ships were given away so they wouldn't do as a faction.

Deferi: Playable species, maybe if they wanted to make them one. Playable faction, nope as they don't actually have ships due to them being a custom cryptic species and them using stock ships.

Undine: They are on the likelyhood of being never considering that they are extragalactic (Fluidic space realm) and they tend to be xenophobic.

Na'khul: Ships were given away as lock box ships, so no chance in hell, plus they are a known antagonistic faction. With the exception of the Klingons, antagonist and playable doesn't ever happen.

Iconians: Antagonistic, bordering on too powerful to be playable, not happening.

Tamarians: Shaka, When the Walls fell. (Not happening, basically)

so to summarize in TL;DR: Only species that could happen for sure are Cardassians and maybe Ferengi.

ok, but you forget the fact that klingons are enemies of federation, and federation of klingons in first several arc-s and any way both factions are playble, so same would work for Voth, vaadwaur and some others.

And in delta arc, there is mission where we can decide to let a group of Vaadwaur loyal to cmdr Eldex to leave war and settle in beta/alpha quadrant(so possible as playble)

Also Voth, there are voth seperatists, which can be found in dyson sphere, and in some doffa assignments, so yes also possible as mini factions, which will later join as romulan republic to fed or kdf.

Liberated gorn, also should be possible as there are doff assignments to support gorn seperatists, even saw that i can support them with kdf aligned charachter, to leave klingon, so i guess a war zone gorn speratists vs klingon forces could be possible, and to align them with fed or to left them neutral.

Suliban Helix is inside federation teritory, according to the map of the 23rd century, so i guess they should be at some point a federation playbe species if not a faction.

All in all its possible to get lot of them as playble, or at species to play as part of already exisiting factions, its all matter of time and available money that can be invested to done it.

Not sure is it possible as Cryptic as private company can get a project for that on kickstarter to collect money to make it happen, not sure how is that regulated with law, but star trek space really can become a large playground for all diffrent species, factions, etc. Maybe even a freelance faction :)
  • Options
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > morbideccentric morbideccentric#9020
    >
    > wrote: »
    >
    > , the Cardassians were the 3rd largest power in the Alpha quadrant (The Federation, The Klingon Empire, The Romulan Star Empire, and the Cardassian Union being the only 4 large major powers with very extensive territory there),
    >
    >
    >
    > Actually, according to the Star Trek Star Charts, the Tholian Assembly and the Breen Confederacy have more territory then the Cardassians, and more then the Romulan Star Empire did.

Where did you get this information from? All the Star Trek maps I have seen show the Romulan Star Empire and Cardassian Union to be clearly the 3rd and 4th largest right behind the Federation and Klingon Empire, the Breen come in 5th.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    A. That's a terrible map.
    B. Just because a species exists doesn't make it viable for a in-game faction. A in-game faction has to have the fan support/playerbase behind it to make it worthwhile.

C. A new faction would need the strength, lore-wise, to field a noticeable fleet, have a large organized expeditionary organization, and enough political clout to matter in negotiations or similar.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    Legacy of the Romulans. Could have been a great expansion. Now I am star empire guy, but the republic would have been fine, if they did not make you a slave to the Fed/KDF factions. To me that was just silly. Now most of you might not remember this, but way back before LoR, they asked the player base about what playable faction they should put up. The Majority said Romulans, but full faction. Then a few numb nuts came in said no just do a half faction tied to the Fed and KDf, and thats what the devs did. So I am not sure what the devs are thinking honestly these days.

As for playable faction, well not the Borg, despite cryptics attempt to end one of the great chapters in star trek history. The Borg have multiple queens, yes they have the queen, and if she goes another takes her place. Not to mention its mentioned many times over the Borg have thousands of systems not all in the Delta, Alpha, or Beta quadrants. So to me the Borg are still very much out thier. Liberated as a playable faction just seems like a more pitiful attempt to sell a badly written try to end all type of story for the Borg.

This leaves two possibilities. One is the cardassians, the story has opened up ample opportunity, and it is made clear that the cardassian government may be in fact in league with the true way. Thats what I took from the story . In that case you end up with what three factions? The only way I see this working out would be bringing the Cardassians back to their old ways, and rejoining the Dominion again. Having the Dominion return. The problem with that is their more then likely is not enough players to run that many factions. Three maybe four no way.

At this point if I were running things, which I am not, I would be on damage control. First I would find a way to turn the Romulans into a stand alone faction, not tied to either the feds or the Kdf. It could be done relatively easy. The only exception would be allot of story would have to be rewritten on the episode arcs for Romulans, and a maco/honor guard romulan variant would have to be made. After that I would work really hard on redoing pvping. Starting up a three way war. Not so difficult if you think about. Two factions pvp against each other the one, that loses faces off against the third faction.

I know dream land right?

Just saying I know allot of people like the cardassians but if I were you would be more quiet about it. Otherwise they may turn your favorite faction into another slave faction for the feds/kdf.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The problem with that is
    1. It would take like 3 expansions worth to make enough content for a Delta Quad faction(for example) to reach from level 1 to the start of Delta rising
    2. There was nothing going on in the Delta quad shortly before we got there, which was not too long after the Vaadwuar started their attacks.

Adding to the Delta quad backstory would introduce contradictions into the already established plot, and it would be weird since none of that stuff gets mentioned in Delta rising itself.
    I can see the first problem/point as abit of a double sided sword of sorts, as it would yes take alot of time, but would also give alot of uniqueness an appeal to alts as well. It would make people that are burnt out on re-treading the same missions something to do, even if after the start of the delta rising we would mesh with the other factions again.

I highly doubt that there was nothing going on before we got their, since it does seem like the race that the voth were wanting to get the spheres to help deal with was the Vaadwaur, and even seeing the starting of the war with the Vaadwaur, as well as interactions of the other delta races would be enough. I was actually talking even before delta more like during the time of the us working in the spheres an such too.

Adding contradictions to the established plots, and having to add things into the existing missions to make things work is not that new. even before the Iconian war we had a issue like that in which they made changes an updates to the missions to flesh out that it was the Iconians we were dealing with, and also reworking on how some of the mission text worked to facilitate the narrative.
    Well, a DQ story would make for an interesting creative writing challenge. It'd probably be best to start it off by focusing on the way things were before the Vaadwaur invasion, then make the mission where you choose an ally be after you decide you need help in order to deal with the Vaads.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    haven't read every response but I'm going for the dominion. over the 30ish years they were last seen. they could have conquered many more aliens and/or modified others. and because not very much is knowen about the gamma quadrant you could have a heap of new alien species added. even a revel to the federation faction in species and ships.
    I cant brain I have the dumb
  • Options
    zzzspina01 wrote: »
    haven't read every response but I'm going for the dominion. over the 30ish years they were last seen. they could have conquered many more aliens and/or modified others. and because not very much is knowen about the gamma quadrant you could have a heap of new alien species added. even a revel to the federation faction in species and ships.
    The problem with that is while the Dominion conquers races, they don't use them in their military.

The Dominion's military is comprised of Jem'Hadar, near exclusively, with some Vorta to be the diplomats/handing out the White.

They have no reason to have other races in their military, since they can literally create their own soldiers via genetics, and those soldiers are blindly loyal and dependent on the Founders to provide them with white, ensuring their loyalty.
    The devs have wiggle room there since that was the way they were before Odo joined the Great Link.

Also... Jem'Hadar were their grunts, the rank and file soldier. Technical specialists? Those would be smarter races. Like Vorta perhaps. I kinda head canon that several races such as the Dosi and Wadi are actually members of the Dominion, but are left to have autonomy as long as they comply with the wishes of the Founders.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    I specifically chose the Dosi an Wadi because they have ships.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Gorn?

Maybe some of the Gorn decide they've had enough of the KDF ruling them and boom ... the Gorn puns and jokes will never end!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    The problem with that is

Well, a DQ story would make for an interesting creative writing challenge. It'd probably be best to start it off by focusing on the way things were before the Vaadwaur invasion, then make the mission where you choose an ally be after you decide you need help in order to deal with the Vaads.

I agree even going so far as the starting set of missions might be set during the time after Voyager returned to the alpha/beta quad, which could work as a tutorial leading up to the Vaadwaur getting their huge power increase tha lead the Voth to seek out the sphere. The mission that might lead to the need to find allies either with other delta races or the alliance, well that might be after the Vaadwaur attack several of the Delta quad race's home worlds. Though most of that is basically already in place in the delta quad mission line.
  • Options
    coolbatman wrote: »
    why not just have cardies un-lockable in the c-store as a playable species and be faction neutral (playable as fed/rom/kdf).........problem solved

Not quite the same. I can't speak for others but I want to serve the Cardassian Union. Don't get me wrong, I would like a Federation Cardassian as well, I'd also like an actual Federation Romulan and not just my alien, but yeah I want an actual Cardie faction
    bridges.jpg
  • Options
    gaalom wrote: »
    a maco/honor guard romulan variant would have to be made.

It actually kinda sucks they don't have one
    bridges.jpg
  • Options
    I also don't mind the idea of a stand alone faction of sto-specific races that might be from an area of the galaxy we have yet to explore. One of the issues is that existing factions that exist like the Dominion an delta quad races are in a state that could make for contradictions. Now a brand new faction of races don't have that fact, while also have so much room for interesting developing of their history an story-line.
  • Options
    I also don't mind the idea of a stand alone faction of sto-specific races that might be from an area of the galaxy we have yet to explore. One of the issues is that existing factions that exist like the Dominion an delta quad races are in a state that could make for contradictions. Now a brand new faction of races don't have that fact, while also have so much room for interesting developing of their history an story-line.
    that would never happen. This is Star Trek Online, not "bunch of things we made up and shoved into the star trek unvierse" online.

The only 100% original race they have made is the Defari, and there was so much backlash over Cryptic DARING to add a new race to Star Trek lore that they basically said they would never do it again.

Um............are the Lukari from somewhere else then? Am I forgetting something? Kal Dano being the dude in the Enterprise episode doesn't quite count.
    bridges.jpg