test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3D printed copy of your own custom ship!

Comments

• aries73321aries73321 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    tymersto wrote: »
    Between what's mentioned in the announcement and the Eucl3d's FAQ page, I wouldn't be surprised to see the ships in the $150-$200 range. And all ships will be 12" long. As can be seen from this pic from Eucl3d's page:

Gallery_4_Small.jpg?16

This is definitely one of those "If you can afford it, go for it!" kind of things.

Thank you for the time...

I don't know, in this pic, the ship doesn't look much bigger than the mouse. Maybe they will offer 2 sizes.
    28793947863_6b5c67608b.jpgGallery_3_Small by Christian Osika, on Flickr

I hope these are a fairly reasonable prices. As a model builder myself, I have already collected quite a few of the canon ships in 1/2500 scale that I use on my toons. Would be nice to have some of the STO specific designs available either in the same scale, or in "close enough" scale. I had my main in a Sovereign, but am using an Odyssey now and would love to have a model of that, as well as some of the KDF designs.

• phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    atlmykl wrote: »
    tom61sto wrote: »
    These are going to be expensive, hundreds of dollars range based on what I'm seeing on the Eucl3D site.

There's Elite: Dangerous space ships in their store already, $30 for the 3 inch long Viper, $99 for the 5 inch long. I would expect at least $199 for a 12" ship that the STO series seems to be, possibly higher just scaling off that.

I think I'd be willing to do $10-15 for a 3-5" ship as long as the detail was there. Maybe $50-75 for the foot long ships. $80-90 if those ships were shipped with a 4-6" version of my captain where I get to select poses and weapons.

What are you guys willing to pay for this stuff?

$200-$300

Its a custom printed and painted foot long model of a licensed product.

I'll get 2-3 and hope they will eventually do captains with away team.

It's not painted, it's color 3D printing from an exported model from the Cryptic game engine. So the only real cost is time and supplies for the printing process. I don't think they'll be anywhere near $200.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    lopequil wrote: »
    If I were you nikeix, I'd be more interested in how they plan on making a model Tarantula. So many small, fiddly bits.

Herald ships.... :)
  • ^ Oh, a set of 3D printed Herald ships would be awesome. The dreadnaught would be huge.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY M-- Oh, someone already posted it. I'll just nod slightly.

*nods slightly*
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    The color process in materials is only about $2. The rest is just for the model and coding needed by the machine to print it.

If you have a 3d scanner, you can even cheat if you have any old startrek models laying around by scanning the object, modifying it in the program, and printing it out with the wax or plastic you use in your machine (they vary).

For less than $50, you can build your own 3d printer (I've seen them made out of Legos before) and craft your own (if you know what you're doing). The price of materials may have changed in the last 5 years since I created stuff like this last, but $200 per ship pricetag is a bit much.

still, it's nice to see this here. WoW had it for a while, but canceled that productline. You'd buy the model to print out, not the actual printed product.

There are thousands of companies that make a living just doing 3d scan/3d printing models from game such as STO.

If you don't want to spend the money on this, nor spend the time learning how to create these 3d ships yourself, here's an alternative method:

buy one:
    Styrofoam block: $1
    +Pocketkniffe: $3
    +Patience and skill: (limited)
    = Carve your own ship!

Always love to see what I'm playing with in the real world! :)
    I think I'd be willing to do $10-15 for a 3-5" ship as long as the detail was there. Maybe $50-75 for the foot long ships. $80-90 if those ships were shipped with a 4-6" version of my captain where I get to select poses and weapons.

What are you guys willing to pay for this stuff?

You might want to look into the Eaglemoss series of Star Trek figures. You might find some that fit the smaller end of the scale and your budget and they do very nice work (I have their Narcine and Vengeance, satisfied customer both times).

For the larger stuff I think you're going to find you're WAY off base on pricing...
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Hallmark makes a Vengeance scaled to the Eaglemoss ships that lights up!

I have both :smile:

These ships look sharp, have to see what the prices will be.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    Herald ships.... :)
    Touché!
    Q9BWcdD.png
    oops. forgot to mention that I was talking about makeing it yourself instead of buying it. but both are good.

used to have a bunch of them
    My Dream would be to have the shisp of my four faction main characters along with my captains standing on a shelf, something that will still be around and endure beyond STO's existence. :)

Yeah, right off hand I'd like the two Tal Shiar, possibly the KT Romulan Intel Carrier, and maybe the Tarantula (thought obviously that one is problematic..) but CAPTAINS? Oh man, that is a license to print money...

...Gah, there's a TON of Romulan ships I'd have to think about it. And a Paradox, and, and, and... :dizzy:
    ^ Oh, a set of 3D printed Herald ships would be awesome. The dreadnaught would be huge.

All of these ships are being offered as 12" figures, regardless of in-game scale :).

• alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I'm curious how they plan to solve the herald ships, clear plastic? seeing as how they have all those floaty bits
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    I'm curious how they plan to solve the herald ships, clear plastic? seeing as how they have all those floaty bits

That's be neat. they may just use classic wire=air sticktogether.
    "We do not offer every ship in the game" is a perfectly valid solution to the Herald & Tarantula issue.
    Ok, now I kinda want the ISS Enterprise in her MU warpaint with the saucer section undocked :).
    Here's a question:

What's the rarest ST ship that's NOT in the game currently, you'd like to see in 3D?

...other than V'Ger
    Narada. Done.
    Since they're basically converting game files to printer/painter instructions, they're not limited to player ships. There's a few delta quadrant vessels that are still unplayable, plus the entire Borg catalogue up to an including the unimatrix X of Ten vessels.
    Most definitely. Only requirement? they just have to make sure all the parts are actually connected to the right other parts in the model. A lot of times the modeler doesn't do this when making a model for a game, but have to when doing a physical 3d object.

Failing to do this can result in 9 additional hours of work for the modeler if they have to connect all the right points. Floating pieces make the machines do funny things.
  • gavshawgavshaw Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Seriously tempted, seriously.

A Galaxy-X, a Akira variant and Avenger/Arbiter variant would be on my list.

Will depend on price and quality.
    SigPic_01_zpspudusvou.png

Yes, I fly a Dreadnought cruiser. Deal with it.
  • raxicoricoraxicorico Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    **** yeah i want!

I'm guessing $50 buck minimum, maybe more.

I am so looking forward to this- Better be able to get them in Australia cause I will be hounding them with emails until they do.

Oh, as for the cost for the 3d printing, given its probably polyjet/multijet 3d printing to get it to look like that, easily a lot more than $50. Simple SLS printing would cost $200 AUD to make a ship not even close to that size and it wouldn't be coloured or textured like that to match your in game ship. This is going to be expensive unless they have worked out some mass marketing deals.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Halo has a 3D printing thing for it's player characters. For a model that's a smaller than these ships, the cost is $190us (9.5 inch figure), but they've got a number of size options which gets down to $30us (4.5 inch figure). Cryptic could be up to something similar, or something completely different. We'll see.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Halo has a 3D printing thing for it's player characters. For a model that's a smaller than these ships, the cost is $190us (9.5 inch figure), but they've got a number of size options which gets down to $30us (4.5 inch figure). Cryptic could be up to something similar, or something completely different. We'll see.

Good point. Didn't even consider Halo's business line. ;)
    Now STO just needs their own Mountian Dew line of products. (ie: Halo's promo). hah! :D
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Clearly, P.T. Barnum was talking about you folks. It's a hunk of plastic that they are using to open your wallet via your heart strings. Once you customize it to your personal features, it is no longer "quite as" collectable & likely only has real value to you.

Sorry, but not me. I'd consider it IF it came in reverse, so to speak - you could buy a ship & got the C-store version to fly online. That's the one you should customize.

Marketing is akin to hypnotism.

Offer me Attack Wing ships that come with an electronic version to use online, then we'll talk.

http://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    That is very very cool. And 12" is staggeringly big. Questions are:
    1. Price
    2. Pre-painted?
    3. If Pre-painted: Quality? (You know the productions never look as good as the demos)
    edited September 2016
    Examples shown are Color printed, not painted. And they look rough/pebbly, as if they haven't sanded/polished the plastic print after it was done. This last could be an affect of the colors mingling when it was printed. Early multi-color prints were notorious for doing this and looking weird.