test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Surprisingly, the timeline is secure, (rank). I will inform you if the situation changes, however."

farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
This implies that he'll only notify me if the timeline becomes insecure, but when he says this he's really just informing me that the timeline is still secure.

Every time I log in.

On every character.

Someone at Cryptic thought this was a good idea.
Post edited by farranor on

Comments

• Options
    freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    On my AoY character it's not just when I log in, it's whenever I change maps AND every time I level up.

I see no reason for it either, especially as I didn't alter the options and have had to hail every mission contact myself because they won't call me.

Guess it's more bugs for the master list for AoY, though I doubt it'll get fixed.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I think of it this way: we already did make those choices, and now some temporal hooligans are trying to take away those choices or cause us to make different ones.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    I think of it this way: we already did make those choices, and now some temporal hooligans are trying to take away those choices or cause us to make different ones.

I don't know. I am starting to agree with Patrickngo and the tholians. Just find a way to stop time travel all together. From K13 to Defiant, it seems like they are trying to keep certain time interventions happening regardless. We can all see that the na'khul assault on the tholian colonyship is what precipitated the tholian attack on their star. Two actions causing each other. But future time lords tell us to let those tragedies happen. . .

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    And the Federation version: "The timeline is secure at the moment, (rank). We'll contact you if things change."

Thanks, Temporal Agent Philip Crey. Thanks. Again. For the twentieth time this week.

• Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    "This is the everything is ok alarm. This ear wretching sound will play loudly every 5 seconds unless something is wrong"
  • Options
    phinabella1phinabella1 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Yeah, I've been having that problem too, but I don't know what causing it so I haven't filed a ticket. It's not really that helpful to say that there's a problem, but don't have an idea of what's causing it.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    Yeah. I get that too... One time, I logged in and I happened to be standing right next to Quinn's desk, and he still hailed me.

I'm like, couldn't you just poke your head around the corner and tell me?
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    Also, kind of reminds me of this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aJFyWBLeM7Q
  • Options
    zorander6zorander6 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    But if a butterfly flaps it's wings at the wrong time it could totally TRIBBLE up the timeline and you'd need to know about it so you can go kill that darn butterfly....................
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    can we stab him in the face now, pleaaaase??

The entire mess is people from the future (like Daniels) doing things to guarantee their home-present, to us in the past, which denies us the agency of choice.

IOW, the **** is interfering. let us kill him! and the rest of those time-traveling pricks!! OUR future might be their PAST, but it's OUR future, why won't they let us make our own decisions? are they so afraid we'll 'choose wrong'? maybe they don't have the RIGHT to be born, if they have to meddle in the past to guarantee it?

Maybe we need a "Kill all time-travelers from the future on sight" general order...Daniels and his ilk have already cost the lives of billions-maybe trillions, and their interference may be considered genocide on even greater scale-we need to make a stand against Predestination and all that ****, and insist that we have the right to our own goddamn time-period!! OUR Future is OUR future, not their past, they don't get to claim it for themselves!

I don't think Daniels is trying to stop any other timeline at all from existing, I think he's trying to stop ones that will negatively affect the fabric of the multiverse and how those different timelines hold together. If they are stable universes, they likely get left. If this isn't the case then how do you explain the survival and existence of the Mirror Universe, the Kelvin timeline or any of the countless timelines in Parallels?

It's hard to say though because time travel is treated so inconsistently in the Star Trek universe. This is likely because the two most popular theoretical models for time travel in real world physics both carry little dramatic value/consequence that works of fiction crave. Single universe theory simply states if you go back in time, then everything you do merely contributes to and creates the timeline you exist in... whereas the many universe theory states you can travel back but anything you do merely creates a new universe that has no bearing on your own home timeline... which is the one you would "return" to. Naturally Star Trek has to lean towards a model nearer the latter because we have two permanent co-existing timelines and countless others that have popped up to a certain degree.

So the only way we can reconcile Trek time travel stories is to state that characters (25th century and prior) caught up in time travel events don't understand how those events are unfolding, or how the effects they are observing in front of them relate to reality and just "wing it" when it comes to resolving a perceived crisis... whereas Star Fleet temporal agents from the future eras have a greater understanding because they can both observe the temporal mechanics at work in real time and thus predict wqhen an errant timeline is going to cause trouble for the universe.
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    And actually given all I said there about many universe and one universe theory... it makes me wonder if actually Kirk and Spock's wordplay about the needs of the many and the needs of the one, have relevance. On most occasions the needs of the many universes outweigh the needs of the one (Prime) universe, so temporal agents don't get involved and let the diverse timelines continue. However, if a timeline emerges that damages or disrupts the integrity of the Prime universe... the temporal agents have to stop it from manifesting or take steps to resolve it.

This in my headcanon is how I resolve the competing needs of drama and scientific theory.
  • Options
    arliekkosarliekkos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    I think that Kurland should be the one letting us know that the timeline is currently secure.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    The only thing that message is missing is a vo, complete with that creepy "huh-ho" he does when you talk to him on ESD...
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    arliekkos wrote: »
    I think that Kurland should be the one letting us know that the timeline is currently secure.

THIS IS KURLAND! Everything's fine.

KURLAND HERE!!!! Everything's fine.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    The psychological after effect of being trapped in a time loop? "I'm pretty sure that I already sent that message, but everything looks the same today as it did before. Better be sure..."
  • Options
    cheshirecat#6232 cheshirecat Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    sarreous wrote: »
    The psychological after effect of being trapped in a time loop? "I'm pretty sure that I already sent that message, but everything looks the same today as it did before. Better be sure..."

Ah, yes. It is time to enter the Infinite-Loop Matrix. Your guide will be Mobius.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told where the Matrix begins or ends. You have to loop it for yourself."
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Yes! Morpheus!

The "metrix" has you!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    arliekkos wrote: »

Kurland here. The Timeline has left the library. The Timeline has been saved.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    feiqa wrote: »

I don't know. I am starting to agree with Patrickngo and the tholians.

Patrickngo and the Tholians... Sounds like a band name.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    feiqa wrote: »

I don't know. I am starting to agree with Patrickngo and the tholians.

Patrickngo and the Tholians... Sounds like a band name.

Hard Rock or Hot Jazz?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Beach party... a la the Beachboys... :p
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    Crey: "hmm what do I need to do today, wait a minute I see a ship approaching, OH one of our agents!" *taps communicator* "ahem , the timeline is secure standby for other messages." *Pushes the Docking Officer who taps his communicator* "yes, well since this is the 11 millionth time you have approached ESD I need to warn you again to use those maneuvering thrusters! We can't have you slamming into the side of the base you know! Oh wait someone else wants to speak to you!"

"Kurland here, this is Kurland, yes THE Kurland who you outrank yet I get to boss you around like a first year cadet. I hope you don't have any bad news to tell me because this is Kurland, as in Kurland is here. And please step to the side and let me do all the talking when the Dominion calls because I am Kurland. Now do you have anything to add? Here let me roll my eyes while I say that at a diplomatic meeting because your input means nothing to me. I AM KURLAND!"

*Both Crey and the docking officer pull a hysterically screaming Kurland away at this point*
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    We can't have you slamming into the side of the base you know!

the ironic thing is...i try to do that every time i come to ESD to avoid having my ship slow to a crawl and take forever to transition to the loading screen when your ship reaches the hangar opening​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

the ironic thing is...i try to do that every time i come to ESD to avoid having my ship slow to a crawl and take forever to transition to the loading screen when your ship reaches the hangar opening​​

What do you mean, "reaches the hangar opening"? When you zone in to ESD system space you just have to scoot forward a bit (maybe two seconds at full impulse) and then use the "Dock" button in the low-priority interaction area (the bottom right of the screen, by default).
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    what's the fun in that? i like running at full speed at the opening so i end up ramming the starbase before the transition script can catch up - especially with larger ships or ones that can't actually FIT through the hangar doors​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    what's the fun in that? i like running at full speed at the opening so i end up ramming the starbase before the transition script can catch up - especially with larger ships or ones that can't actually FIT through the hangar doors​​

a36.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I am not always doing this, but I have been doing this occassionally, so I guess that's the reason for the warning being repeated every time. Some captains just don't listen.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.