test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unable to turn or maneuver in space combat

tiberius183tiberius183 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
edited July 2016 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
As soon as my ship gets into combat, I am unable to turn or maneuver. My controls work just fine when I'm not in combat (sector space, flying around ESD, etc), but for some reason when my ship is under attack and goes into red alert, I can't turn left or right, it's like my trajectory is locked. I tried resetting all controls to default, but the problem persists.

EDIT: all started happening after AoY update.

Comments

• tiberius183tiberius183 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Hate to be a bother about this, but this issue makes the game unplayable for me. Can this be looked into ASAP?
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    You need to post your @handle, the character affected, and it would probably help to mention which ship you're flying and which mission you're in (or if it affects more than one mission).
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
    edited July 2016
    @tiberius183, happens with both characters. I first noticed it flying my new Kelvin-Timeline Vengeance Intel Dreadnought, but every other ship I've tried seems to have the same issue. And, it seems to happen in any mission; I first noticed it in Federation Fleet Alert, tried a Deep Space Encounter, and finally the Foundry mission DPSMark. Same issue. As soon as the red alert klaxon goes off, I lose control of movement with the exception of increasing and decreasing speed.

EDIT: I can't even rotate the camera.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    I'm seeing this too, with @NCC-89471. With my TOS toon, I lose my ability to steer any time I fire a torpedo or engage/disengage full impulse. I can get steering back by opening the Space Controls menu under Options, then closing the menu (no need to change anything), but that doesn't prevent me from losing control again.

I haven't tried any other character since AoY launch, so I haven't seen my pre-existing toons affected yet.
  • crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    I'm not seeing this on either character. Tiberius, on the character of yours I looked at, your keybinds were set up to be pointing at a Joystick. I lack a Joystick, and am unable to verify Joystick functionality, but setting that up to point at keyboard keys gave me no problems. Similarly, pax, on Tala I had no issues flying the character, in combat, at full impulse, or otherwise. Is there any more information you can share so that I can look into this more?
    edited July 2016
    • I am using an Xbox controller.
    • With my TOS toon I also lost steering whenever I fired a torpedo.
    • The full impulse loss-of-steering issue exists in or out of combat, and for one of my pre-existing toons as well as my TOS toon. (I have not tried flying a ship in combat with any of my pre-existing toons, so I can't report on the torpedo aspect of the loss-of-steering issue.)
    edited July 2016
    I just tried unplugging my Xbox 360 controller, which is what I normally use, and it seems to work as long as it was not plugged in before combat. So, the issue seems to be between the game and my controller. For some reason, in combat, the joysticks stop working. Can that be looked into?

EDIT: Just noticed paxfederatica also uses an Xbox controller, so that seems to narrow it down.
  • cokebearcokebear Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I am having this problem too... but there is more to it. If I hit the ESC key to bring up the menu and then exit it, control resumes. It appears to somehow be connected to dialogue boxes or something popping up on the screen. However, when it happens I don't just lose control with my Xbox controller, I also lose the ability to use keys or anything to steer.

Hit esc, then dismiss the menu, and the problem goes away for a few minutes only to return when other things pop up on the screen. I was also having this problem on tribble this week, but when the tutorial mission got stuck after I claimed my shuttle, I couldn't test it any further.
  • kblarghkblargh Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    Same here, also using a game controller.

All mentioned above has happened to me, except there's a little more to it. You don't actually have to be in combat. The trigger seems to be activating powers on the tray using controller input. Sometimes it may take more than one input, but especially when you activate multiple powers in quick succession, it will almost certainly lock you.

Also, it only seems to happen with my TOS character. Or at least my main didn't have this problem no matter how much i spun around in my ship, activating powers.
    Well, I'm hoping for an expedient fix to this. I attempted to pilot the old-fashioned way using the keyboard, but I found it cumbersome, and I also REALLY don't want to have redo my keybinds. I'd pretty much have to re-learn to pilot at this point if I'm forced to go back to keyboard. I'm pretty much dead in the water...
    edited July 2016
    kblargh wrote: »

Are you using an Xbox controller as well, or a different brand?
    Post edited by tiberius183 on
    edited July 2016
    UPDATE: Upon further troubleshooting, I've found that the problem seems to only happen whenever I pull the left trigger (Joy7 in the Xbox controller layout), and not just when I'm in combat or in a system. Combat or not, whenever I pull it, it locks out all movement controls on both the controller and the keyboard. As long as I don't touch it (which hampers me somewhat as I have a lot of keybinds setup where I would press and hold the left trigger + button)

EDIT: Left bumper (Joy5), too.
    edited July 2016
    UPDATE: Upon further troubleshooting, I've found that the problem seems to only happen whenever I pull the left trigger (Joy7 in the Xbox controller layout), and not just when I'm in combat or in a system. Combat or not, whenever I pull it, it locks out all movement controls on both the controller and the keyboard. As long as I don't touch it (which hampers me somewhat as I have a lot of keybinds setup where I would press and hold the left trigger + button)

EDIT: Left bumper (Joy5), too.

That is consistent with my experience - I also use Joy7/left trigger as an "alt key" on my setup, and I have both torpedoes and full impulse toggle bound to Joy7 combos.
    edited July 2016
    UPDATE: Used a Logitech F310 gamepad in DirectInput (as opposed to an Xbox controller's XInput) mode to see if it would have the same result, and it indeed does. For some reason, whenever the left trigger (Joy7) is used, it locks out the controls no matter what gamepad you're using...
    UPDATE: I did find a workaround using the Logitech controller. Using a third party app called JoyToKey, I was able to change the button corresponding to the left trigger to be assigned CTRL instead of Joy7, and left bumper to be PgDown (that's what I chose, you make it anything you want), and unmapped those two buttons in the game under Options > Controllers (with Joysticks "on") so the game will never recognize them as Joy7 and Joy5. Tested it out and it works.

Unfortunately, the same workaround doesn't work for an Xbox controller since there's no way to unmap the Joy# buttons on an Xbox controller in the game options (probably because of XInput).

Anyway, I'm back to playing. I've been working on this issue all day (I hate using a keyboard in STO THAT much). That being said, this is still definitely an issue that should be looked into and resolved ASAP, especially if you plan to port this game to console. I hope all the information I've provided was helpful.
    edited July 2016

Are you using an Xbox controller as well, or a different brand?

I'm using a Dual Shock 3, with a Motioninjoy Driver acting as middleware.

UPDATE: I can press the triggers just fine. The directions will lock up when i press ANY tray power combination, though. And i'm pretty sure it wasn't always like this - i remember before yesterday i could still use powers and give myself about 50/50 before it locked up, and i daresay it actually only happened in combat. Older toons still not affected by the problem.

Also, this will happen even if i UNBIND every button. If i press any of that combination, direction and camera lock.

Post edited by kblargh on
    edited July 2016

<snip> The trigger seems to be activating powers on the tray using controller input. Sometimes it may take more than one input, but especially when you activate multiple powers in quick succession, it will almost certainly lock you.

Also, it only seems to happen with my TOS character. Or at least my main didn't have this problem no matter how much i spun around in my ship, activating powers.

My other characters appear to be OK as well, only my TOS recruit has been affected so far... and it isn't "normal" dialogue/interaction windows, it is the little dialogues that go up the side of the screen, and when interacting with the tray using commands bound to the controller such as rebalancing shields or any of the tray powers, etc. It also isn't on every single thing, sometimes it doesn't happen when I am poised to hit ESC/ESC quickly, so it is a bit tricky. I admit I can't discount the possibility that the side-screen dialogues are a false positive, as perhaps it just appears to be happening at the same time as I do something else.

It's like after activating an item with a controller, it doesn't drop you back "into" the screen and instead sticks on the overlay until you pull up and dismiss the menu.
    Just to add to the list - just completed Caleb IV and the problem does NOT exist in that mission!
    cokebear wrote: »
    Just to add to the list - just completed Caleb IV and the problem does NOT exist in that mission!

It existed for me when I ran that mission.

At least now whenever it happens, I know to quickly hit ESC a few times until the main menu appears and clears, which restores steering control. Having such a quick and simple workaround downgrades the bug's severity from "makes the game unplayable" to "significant annoyance".
    Whenever I did that, it would just lock up again whenever I used the left trigger.
  • stormturmoilstormturmoil Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    also having the same problem; major issues seem to trigger on using left trigger or left bumper, but the result is complete loss of ship control and camera control. I have had the same issue happen intermittently on ground, but it is far less prevalent there. In addition, the same loss of control sometimes just happens when using any tray power, by mouse click or Pad buttons.

This happened on both my new AoY captain; at first I put it down to improperly configured Binds for whatever reason, but it also happens on my pre-AoY characters too, who have never had this issue before AoY dropped.
    I just went into the mission "Core of the Matter" with my Delta recruit Klingon, and for the first time the issue is affecting one of my pre-AoY characters - so it is something in the missions, not in the characters themselves.

Also, I think that the problem varies based on how people have things bound. Left bumper hasn't caused issues for me all the time, but the left trigger has.
  • maxworf56maxworf56 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I use an Xbox One controller to move my ship
    I have the same problem in combat my ship doesn’t move with the controller, or mouse, or keyboard.
    This happens on all of my characters ( lvl 60 to TOS).
    This started the day AOY was released

@maxworf56
    I use the following text file x360_spaceREV4 to use the controller.

I can now report that on my Delta recruit Klingon Reman, the problem exists in the space battle at the end of Boldly They Rode, but on the left BUMPER, not the left trigger.

I wish I had more time to try and go back and reproduce the results but there is no way with all of the events piled on top of me that I can actually complete events for my rewards AND do bug testing.

This is EXTREMELY frustrating because although tapping ESC a couple of times gives me back my steering control, it also clears targets and creates an enormous mess in the middle of a battle. It makes things take twice as long, leaving even less time to try and figure out WHY and WHERE it happens.

To summarize my experience in one area:

Xbox 360 controller; in some missions (Core of the Matter and other new AoY ones) using left trigger locks out steering/ship control until ESC brings up and dismisses the menu... the problem returns again the next time you hit the trigger; in some missions (Boldly They Rode specifically) the left BUMPER causes the problem; This affects both new characters and old characters and appears in SOME missions but not all - I have encountered it in all new missions except Caleb IV, and in Boldy They Rode and another mission which I have forgotten due to doing so many things. In other areas, the Xbox controller functions as it always has and appears bug free. Possibly related: I map targeting to my left bumper using it as a shift key in combination with the DPad, and in some ground missions the targeting has been glitchy - a target will select and unselect repeatedly with some targeting binds.
  • trekkiemelissatrekkiemelissa Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    This is also happening to me. I am using a logitech F310. I am having to do the esc so that I can move again. It seems every expansion, controllers seem to get messed up.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    @P-A-T-H-F-I-N-D-E-R is my handle and happens on all my toons and doesn't matter what ship I'm running.

Typically, I'm using an X-Box controller that has all the functions set through keybinds.

I will be in combat when suddenly the ship goes unresponsive on the maneuverings and goes either straight course or more often into a slow turn that can only be solved by hitting escape key til the option to logout appears. Exit out of that and I have control again ... for a few seconds and then it happens again.

Happens on my Vengeance class ships, my Kelvin Connie, my Odyssey, etc.

Also started just after the expansion went live.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
    Doesn't look like the issue is being even acknowledged in the patch notes.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    Checked to make sure .... Definitely no fix in this latest patch. Still go dead stick on the controls and have to spam the ESC key to get control back.

Anyone else find they have to hit the escape key several times more than normal to make it happen?
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
    Trying to run through just to complete the feature episode rewards was a nightmare with this bug. It concerns me a lot that so many people are having it, but the only Dev response has been that he can't reproduce it.

It is an ordeal to play, and you never know what is going to happen in any given mission. I have been playing for 6 years with an Xbox controller with an elaborate set of keybinds and suddenly any space battle could go from 5 minutes to a complete desperation slog.

I'm pretty irritated that they put a FE replay in during the first week of a bug-ridden expansion. That just seems unfair or shortsighted or maybe just obnoxious.
    edited July 2016
    I know. At least an acknowledgement that the issue is being looked into would be nice...