test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

cannot even walk one step on the first AoY map nice one cryptic

stop making maps with SO MANY PARTICLE EFFECTS

older systems, evne iif the cards are particle effect capable, they suck up a LOT of rescources on older systems.

i quite good run on the system requirements, but you insist making maps unbearable even with HIGH END half a year old systems get onyl 10fps out on these maps.

i cant even start to play AoY cause im stuck on the first map, unable to move with one frame per year mode.

you dont have a damn clue about pc hardware and what kind of "nice nice looki looki" drains system rescources just for some TRIBBLE "ground fog" of myriads of small particle effects.

stop doing this, noone will buy a new pc just because you cant handle system rescources in that 7 year old engine.

im playing wow on the same machine, its a 10 year old game on a pc thats 6years old, and it still uses the same rescources.

in sto id end up buying a new pc for every damn addon you make, cause you just go to the limit in the engine every time again and again.

Comments

• Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    Few things -
    1. Games update graphics. This isn't a new concept, it happens as time goes on.
    2. My system is around...6 years old? And I have no problems running STO. Barely mid range graphics card, 7 GB of ram usable, sata hard drives...it aint top of the line in any way and it still looks good.

Sorry games evolve. But that's pretty standard.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I play on a laptop that I bought in 2009...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    Can you please elaborate on what the issue is? I get that your framerate is bad. Have you attempted to turn down your settings? Does one setting or another affect things more than the rest? Is there a reason you jump to Particle Effects? I honestly can't think of any particle effects on the bridge of the Pioneer that you start in. . . ?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Can you please elaborate on what the issue is? I get that your framerate is bad. Have you attempted to turn down your settings? Does one setting or another affect things more than the rest? Is there a reason you jump to Particle Effects? I honestly can't think of any particle effects on the bridge of the Pioneer that you start in. . . ?

Could it be the film grain and depth of field effects the TOS stuff has?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    So far I am liking the effects in AoY, although the film grain has been trying to give me a migraine. Hopefully it will be able to be turned off in the near future.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Sorry no...

The whole "I can't/won't upgrade, so everyone else should be stuck with something outdated" concept is a no go...

Upgrade or... well... to be blunt... Suck it up... It's not everyone elses fault that you're running an oldtimer.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    xelif711xelif711 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had a simmilar problem after first starting sto after the update.
    20 avg fps instead of 120, relaunichg the game helped to get back to 120
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    @tacofangs I think hes talking about taurus II.. I had a similar problem (granted im on slightly outdated hardware myself) i had some pretty bad fps (worse than usual anyways) and an overheat crash at first on the planet but a relaunch seemed to have fixed it for me as well. It was on all lowish settings except lighting quality i usually leave on high. I dont have gpu particles turned on.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Yeah, there has to be an issue with the OP's PC. Perhaps a installing / reinstalling the current drivers might fix the issue.

I played all the TOS missions yesterday on my secondary Free to Play only account using a laptop with a Core i5-2410m and relying only on the Intel HD 3000. While it is certainly not very power, I did not encounter any particular performance issue.

However, from time to when I running I would suddenly stop even though I am still pressing the "W" key to move forward. But that is not due to the laptop because I experience the same issue with my other more powerful laptop and a powerful desktop that I use to play my primary STO account. The sudden stops are not limited to just the AoY TOS missions.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Yeah, there has to be an issue with the OP's PC. Perhaps a installing / reinstalling the current drivers might fix the issue.

I played all the TOS missions yesterday on my secondary Free to Play only account using a laptop with a Core i5-2410m and relying only on the Intel HD 3000. While it is certainly not very power, I did not encounter any particular performance issue.

However, from time to when I running I would suddenly stop even though I am still pressing the "W" key to move forward. But that is not due to the laptop because I experience the same issue with my other more powerful laptop and a powerful desktop that I use to play my primary STO account. The sudden stops are not limited to just the AoY TOS missions.

I'm having that issue as well. I'll be moving and then suddenly stop. I thought it might be my keyboard signal sometimes not making it to the remote or the usb the remote is plugged into would blink.

But if someone else is having this problem, it might not be that. And yes, I did replace the batteries in my KB just to be sure.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    davideight wrote: »

in sto id end up buying a new pc for every damn addon you make, cause you just go to the limit in the engine every time again and again.

Hardy. Spend $50 on a better video card (yes, one that will play STO in it's current form is that cheap). Stop using a card that neither Nvidia or ATI provide driver support for any longer
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »

I'm having that issue as well. I'll be moving and then suddenly stop. I thought it might be my keyboard signal sometimes not making it to the remote or the usb the remote is plugged into would blink.

But if someone else is having this problem, it might not be that. And yes, I did replace the batteries in my KB just to be sure.

I've encountered that problem with the "WASD" keys as well, before AOY. Thought it might be lag in some way, but in all cases the direction buttons work fine....
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    tenderbitstenderbits Member Posts: 117 Arc User

Had similar issue last night while running my AoY character.
    Also noticed while flying with jet pack on Risa with my main character - while doing artifact hunt, when I scan for artifact "F" my character would turn sharply to the left. Didnt matter if I was hovering or flying straight.
  • Options
    maina wrote: »

I've encountered that problem with the "WASD" keys as well, before AOY. Thought it might be lag in some way, but in all cases the direction buttons work fine....

This is some kind of bug I think. I don't know how to reliably reproduce it, but ever since AoY I frequently have my character come to a complete stop while I'm holding the "W" key, and have to release and hit it again. And @echatty it's probably not your wireless keyboard, I'm using a wired mechanical keyboard and have the exact same problem.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    davideight wrote: »
    stop making maps with SO MANY PARTICLE EFFECTS

older systems, evne iif the cards are particle effect capable, they suck up a LOT of rescources on older systems.

i quite good run on the system requirements, but you insist making maps unbearable even with HIGH END half a year old systems get onyl 10fps out on these maps.

Same here. Once i got into ground.... freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze. I wish I had 10fps. I usually wish I had 10 fps, but here it was like 1 frame per minute. I solved it using renderscale 0.5.
    Again, when going into space, freeeeeeze. Got tired, disconnected.

• Options
    samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    askray wrote: »
    Sorry games evolve. But that's pretty standard.

And that sucks, mostly. More shinning and happy unicorns on screen doesn't make a game better.
    If games have to evolve (I agree with that), they could evolve concepts. Add fun instead of easy shinnies.
    I'm not saying STO hasn't add some fun now, but the shinnies doesn't allow me to check that.

Yes, I can get a better comp, or I can get a better game. By now... renderscale 0.5 and frak the shinnies. :)
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Playing this on a 3 year old Quadcore Laptop ZERO issues. Have you tried going into the game settings and turning down the number of particles and other settings from High to Medium? Have you turned of Bloom effects? It can make a HUGE difference on lower end or old systems.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User

This is some kind of bug I think. I don't know how to reliably reproduce it, but ever since AoY I frequently have my character come to a complete stop while I'm holding the "W" key, and have to release and hit it again. And @echatty it's probably not your wireless keyboard, I'm using a wired mechanical keyboard and have the exact same problem.

Thanks for telling me, mark. :) I don't know much about computers except how to turn them on and surf with them. I hope they find the bug soon, it's disconcerting to be trotting around and suddenly stop when I didn't tell them to stop. lol.

I would be like...'Did you see something I didn't?' *Chuckles*
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Yeah, I've seen a similar glitch where I'd suddenly stop running. I keep moving but switch from run to jog for no apparent reason. But yeah, no idea what causes it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    WASD bug hit me last night. Mostly if I tried to go from walking to running. I stopped cold.
    I thought it was my keyboard. And no not batteries I use a wired in mouse and keyboard.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    okay. im now more specific: i cant move on the planet surface, where the fog is. the framerate drops, the game is really at 1 frame per year.

i know that games evolve, but while wow evolved for 10 years, it never surpassed my hardwaren when on MINIMUM SETTINGs

thats my point. my settings are already low as bob can go, and im on renderscale 50% ... everything is turned off.

the problem defenetely is the particle effects used on the surface of taurus. cause i know that problem from the older delta rising space maps.
    and i know it from a brief period in wow, when the devs tried to enhance their graphics with particle effects everwhere, they stepped back from that, because older hardware may be particle effect capable, but it sucks up pretty much rescources on older systems.

the other problem i want to adress regarding evolving games:

yes its okay to evolve a game, but not if, for minimal improvement, the system req skyrocket. this engine just cant handle it.
    5% more shiny makes 500% more rescource consumption in this particular engine.

devs already had to admitt the engine is limited in spacecombat+ability spamming.

its time to admitt that, while you can still get more out of the engine, it clearly isnt in balance with rescource consumption in hardware to do so.

____

back to my original problem:

im using winxp 4gb ram, amd graphics 5450, and a 2.66ghz processor. and all settings are low or offline.

the game still wont let me move on taurus one step.

the rest of the game (older chars on different maps) are fine and as usual.

i admitt my system isnt good, but again: this gameengine is old, sto is old, wow is old. both improved, but while i even will still be able to play legion soon, im not able to play sto anymore.

both games in my opinion didnt "improve THAT much", and i still think its a horrible move to push engines to the limit, when clearly the gain is so little.

you exclude customers for just those stupid particle effects and looks. and i think its stupid, cause i wont buy a new pc every third sto addon, while my pc still can handle other games wonderfully smooth.
  • Options
    Try turning off post processing
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    ITS ALL TURNED OOFFFFFFFFFF ITS ALLL TURNED OFFFFFFF ITS ALL TURNED OFFFFFFFFF

now got it? its already everything turned off and minimum and im on renderscale 50%

since i researched the forums i guess, that while this is a specific problem, the root may be just a memory leak in graphics. some report that even their high end pcs get downed due to overload in the gpu memory usage and this stuff.

i think they are just not capable of programming in this engine and, with every additional expension they break more stuff until this thing only runs by chance of luck on top end machines, cause only them can handle a memory leak.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Try turning off post processing
    ^^^
    Doing that gets rid of the pink-ish lighting; but does nothing for the annoying dark edges. IMO it does improve the overall rending of the game on the 23c maps; but it's still not optimal.

I also wish the 'Ranger Class' interior could be selectable for the other 23c ships or the 26th century ships that can use the corresponding 23c ship skins - it is a nicely done TOS style interior (IMO).
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    update:

after trying different resolutions i foudn ot, that only "widescreen" modes are bringing my pc down. if i play 800x600 with black bars on the right and left its all fine.

seems to be a resolution and scaling problem.

(even higher resolutions now work fine, it seems that its only widescreen itself is causing this)
  • Options
    update 2: the funny thing is, the resolutions are all working fine, its just on taurus that some widescreen resolutions dont work. i really wonder how this can be. i never had a game where certain global settings just didnt wok on ONE particular map