test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why am I forced to join a fleet?

I really don't understand why I'm forced to join a fleet to use all my costume slots? what does a fleet have to do with costumes? I can get just as far in the game playing solo as I can if I join a fleet, Personally I don't see much of a benefit to joining a fleet.

Comments

• Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    So don't join one. Costume slots can be purchased from the Z Store, I think. Joining a Fleet only opens up one free costume slot anyways. Although, if you join a Fleet and then leave, you get to keep the free slot.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    Yup. What thunderfoot006 said. And to answer the question what a costume slot has to do with a fleet.. well, as a fleet owner you are able to create a "Fleet Uniform" which members can wear and because of that members get a free costume slot, so that they don't have to use one of their own slots for this "Fleet Uniform".
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Forgot about the Fleet Uni. Thanks for taking up my slack. Much appreciated.

Since we're speaking of Fleet Unis, one thing I dislike is when there are parts of the Fleet Uni which are only available via Zen or Lobi purchase. Was in a Fleet once where the female uni was the T'Pol catsuit and the rest of the Fleet unis were the Enterprise pilot jumpers. Used to get yelled at a lot during Fleet meetings for not being in uniform. But curiously, if I dropped enough Dil on Fleet Projects, the yelling stopped. Ain't that odd? XD
  • Options
    gdeemergdeemer Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    There are numerous benefits to joining a fleet. A few off of the top of my head:

(1) [minor benefit] is the Fleet Uniform slot that you initially asked about
    (2) Bonus XP to help level characters quicker (if they are part of an Armada)
    (3) Access to Fleet gear that is sometimes better than crafted/looted gear
    (4) Access to Fleet ships that are sometimes better than other ships
    (5) Ready access to other people to ask for help, if it is needed
    (6) Ready access to other people to do missions with, that may be better than random groups
    (7) Ready access to experienced players (hopefully, but not always true) that can help guide you to do better ... Myself and our other founders have been here since Beta.

You are welcome to join the Mechanized Dragons, no pressure - primary goal is play and have fun.
    ========================
    Deemer
    Fleet Admiral
    Mechanized Dragons
    ========================
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Ya know what?
    Every damn body except Barak Obama and Elvis Presley posts, "I've been here since beta!"
    Both of those guys were busy saving Earth from an invasion of Space Vampires. So they didn't have time to sit down and relax.
    Lucky for us, they found Nikolai Tesla's katana and Akiro Kurosawa's custom sniper rifle and then it was on like Donkey Kong!

One of the problems with joining a Fleet is - the leadership holds access to Fleet Ships and Fleet Gear hostage most of the time. "Oh no. You HAVE to PROVE you're our kind of people by donating a billion Dilithium or running through the Uber hard Foundry Mission we made just for us five times in a row in a shuttle with all white gear or giving us stuff whenever we ask for it or having views on most topics which are exactly the same as ours!"

Kirk wouldn't stand for this kind of treatment. Neither would Spock. Both the Prime and the Alternate Reality versions.

So, why should you?

Happily I have found an exception at long last after looking for three years.

OP, beware of honey coated words and fine phrases which sound ever so peachy keen here. The proof is in the playing and the interacting with you. Anyone can talk a good game. But are they willing to ride shotgun while you power level your brand new KDF Sci male Orion? Are they willing to welcome you with open arms and make the extra effort to go out of their way to include you in all their activities. Do random members of the Fleet pop in to say Hello and introduce themselves?
    Above all, are they having fun while playing STO? Fun which doesn't include mocking others or making jokes about bodily functions every other minute? Fun which does not include Checking your ship on Gateway and then telling you publicly how wrong your build is and why you should just copy their build and do exactly what they tell you to do at all times?

Above all beware of those whose only interest in you is the size of your Diithium hoarde. They'll leech away every last crystal while telling you with just one more contribution, you'll finally, finally have access to that Phaser Pistol you've been wanting.

tl;dr version.
    OP, go and try out all the Invites. The only ones worth joining are the ones who do not really want or need anything from you. Other than the pleasure of your company and you ability to ride wingman on the occasional STF.