test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

what will it take to bump FAW spam from the top spot?

2»

Comments

• hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    as far as I know, Beam overload only works on ONE beam, while FAW works on ALL beams. So even if description Claims that BO does more damage to a single target actually FAW deals more damage to a single target while also damaging others. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

IMO surgical strikes was the answer. BUT People compared surg Strikes III (even II is a commander skill) with BO3 which is a lt. commander skill. Hence Surg strikes was badly nerfed. So Surg stirkes by itself isn't an overpowered skill anymore but in Combo with override safeties it is still incredibly powerful - against a single target.
    However as people want to do parsable DPS rather than kill an enemy and not all ships have Intel seating, BFAW is still much more frequent.

I tried out the piloting skill (engine power to weapons for hasted firing circle) and was HUGELY disappointed. Esp as it is a turn on/off power, so you cannot put it into a cycle. Which I mostly do because I am upset with clicking skills and nothing Happening - so when some dev wrote that they wouldn'T Change it because "Players should not just use keybinds, but also learn the art of micromanagment" or something along those lines (and not very friendly) I was so upset, that I haven'T used any piloting skills since. Mind you, this was some time ago and devs seem to have gotten much friendlier since :)
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    BFAW is more efficient, but BO is more fun. The visceral pleasure of having a BO3 crit on a single target whose shields fail and then get one-shotted in a glorious explosion is too good. BFAW in comparison just looks inane. Especially with DBBs. Like I have one character in a T6 Hestia fly it like a beam boat but I don't use DBBs.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    I'm an engineer. I fly the T6 sci BortaSqu' (Gorkon-class.) I have two [CritD]x3 DBBs, a Wide-angle DHC and the neutronic torp up front, an Omni beam, the heavy bio turret, and two regular turrets in the back. (All disruptors, all mk.14) My tac skills consist of BO2, TS3, THY1, and tt. (Full build here: Norgh'a'Qun T6)

Why would I build a ship this way? Because I felt like it. Because I refuse to embrace the cookie-cutter route. Because I think ships like this should have a mixed weapons load, and attack from the forward arc. And because I still place in CCA every single time, and rarely get out-parsed in anything else.

Reject the tyranny, and build your ship the way you want to, not the way 'they' say you should.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • thibashthibash Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    Maybe the range equalization that was planned will even things up a bit. Basically, beams get a 0-10% nerf while cannons get a similar buff. You could all be using turret boats 1 year from now. :)
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    thibash wrote: »
    Maybe the range equalization that was planned will even things up a bit. Basically, beams get a 0-10% nerf while cannons get a similar buff. You could all be using turret boats 1 year from now. :)

Yeah, if they buff turrets by 300%. :p

Doubt that the range fix will do much cause all in all beams stay more user friendly for the broad mass. Wider angle, no abyssmal traveling speed of your shots and more boff friendly beause of the higher ranks cannon powers need.
    sander233 wrote: »
    I'm an engineer. I fly the T6 sci BortaSqu' (Gorkon-class.) I have two [CritD]x3 DBBs, a Wide-angle DHC and the neutronic torp up front, an Omni beam, the heavy bio turret, and two regular turrets in the back. (All disruptors, all mk.14) My tac skills consist of BO2, TS3, THY1, and tt. (Full build here: Norgh'a'Qun T6)

Why would I build a ship this way? Because I felt like it. Because I refuse to embrace the cookie-cutter route. Because I think ships like this should have a mixed weapons load, and attack from the forward arc. And because I still place in CCA every single time, and rarely get out-parsed in anything else.

Reject the tyranny, and build your ship the way you want to, not the way 'they' say you should.

May be a wild guess but the reason for your success in CC is pretty much that torp + concentrate firepower alone.
    Kinetic damage is king there and non-stop firing HY neutronics puts you way ahead of some beam users but only because of the entities unique properties. In pretty much ever other advanced you will drag your team down.

• icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    thibash wrote: »

the thing is with the new sensor skills beams will gain the same as cannons and still get all the other added perks of using and or having the wider arc and less energy drain. travel times and so on. so while all this will not not knock beams out of its standing and will actually make them even better. it does make cannons less bad ( LOL ) than they were.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• g2g#3372 g2g Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    change to knock BFAW off its high horse is to bring cannons back into the mix. Move its abilities down a rank so that you can use cannon abilities at ensign level with the highest ranking ability at Lt. Commander.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    sander233 wrote: »

May be a wild guess but the reason for your success in CC is pretty much that torp + concentrate firepower alone.
    Kinetic damage is king there and non-stop firing HY neutronics puts you way ahead of some beam users but only because of the entities unique properties. In pretty much ever other advanced you will drag your team down.

Unfortunately, and I'm saying this as someone who almost universally builds things vaguely resembling that (except with less weapon duplication and non-canon weapons, most of the time), he's right. In most situations, that build will be considerably inferior. It'll probably be an even match for some of my better ships, or even better than them, but a 'proper' ship will steamroll you most of the time.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    g2g#3372 wrote: »
    change to knock BFAW off its high horse is to bring cannons back into the mix. Move its abilities down a rank so that you can use cannon abilities at ensign level with the highest ranking ability at Lt. Commander.

This is something that in my opinion should have been done long ago. The damage drop if is being sorted with season 11.5 which depending on how you look at it will be a buff for cannons and a slight nerf for beams. Since the damage over distance drop off is being normalized across both types to 50% at 10km. This can be further improved via a set of science abilities from the new skill tree. I'm even going as far as crafting new weaponry to replace my aging Advanced fleet weapons to something better.​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    Agreed. I'm tired of beam spammers brainlessly stealing exp and killing everything. Make CSV I and CRF I ensign level please Cryptic.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Being ensign-level would not matter. Nobody voluntarily sticks to FAW1 only if they can help it.

I do on my Oddy and Sovy. Traded a sliver of DPS for maneuverability and speed.
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    So...since the skill tree change...I've been running the same way since before the change...until last night. Last night I dumped BFAW and replaced it with Beam Overload. I made sure the Space DOFF's I had slotted matched that selection and started playing Crystalline Entity (Advanced) I do not have a DPS meter installed, but I was regularly taking 2nd place and actually took 1st once. Before making this change, I was only grabbing 3rd place with an occasional 2nd place. I'm going to run like this for a bit and see how things go. I also got rid of Torpedo Spread and went with Torpedo High Yield.

Can anyone recommend a decent DPS Meter for STO?
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    Get rid of the haste feature, get rid of the 5th shot in the volley, put in on a longer cooldown, (torp spread too while we're at it, maybe cannons), cut the sure-shot accuracy, remove crit possibility, bring the aoe ability down to where it's a good solid aoe, but not so much a G-O-D ability. Maybe not all, but certainly is good for a few of these. Some common sense things, that may take it down a few notches. Even if BFAW is still the king, it will at least not have such a distant 2nd behind it.
  • autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    Am I the only one who thinks that if Cannon Scatter Volley was only limited to weapon arc (you know, like Beam Fire At Will), instead of 45 degree cone focused on your target, we might have a contender for knocking BFAW off its all too lofty perch.

I mean ... imagine if BFAW was limited to just 45 degrees around your target ...
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    So...since the skill tree change...I've been running the same way since before the change...until last night. Last night I dumped BFAW and replaced it with Beam Overload. I made sure the Space DOFF's I had slotted matched that selection and started playing Crystalline Entity (Advanced) I do not have a DPS meter installed, but I was regularly taking 2nd place and actually took 1st once. Before making this change, I was only grabbing 3rd place with an occasional 2nd place. I'm going to run like this for a bit and see how things go. I also got rid of Torpedo Spread and went with Torpedo High Yield.

Can anyone recommend a decent DPS Meter for STO?

I usually switch to BO for the CE event. BFAW for other runs.
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • darthkuribohdarthkuriboh Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    my Kor is flying DHC's with the temporal mission torp in the front, bio-turret and KCB in the rear, using torp spread 2, Cannon scatter 2 and gravity well I tend to eat other ships.