What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "biggest announcement yet" about STO at FedCon

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    Premiere is a french word for "First", usually means Début as well, which means it is the first performance or first time.

So a World first: the TOS expansion for star trek online if you twist the word enough. if you twist the meaning enough it will also be the worlds first time that star trek online has a TOS expansion.

But the OP stated They already announced that.
    B)

use your eyes and read around first before making a comment like that.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    (and I wish I could read German)

My German isn't perfect, but there's literally nothing in those posts about "the announcement" other than a single sentence stating no one knows what it is.

The rest of the posts are 1) descriptions of FedCon and its history - which I knew nothing about - and 2) schedule of what Cryptic will be doing. Sounds like there will be some giveaways, but only at the event itself.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Re-Read the opening post of the thread...
    He said They already announced the TOS Expansion in Germany.
    So it can't be the "first" time.

smh
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2016

i figured youd play ignorant to the rest of the thread. im done here.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options

i figured you'd play ignorant to the rest of the thread. im done here.

Heh...
    I'm just following your line of thought, don't blame me if you missed what the OP said.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    Suddendly I had a strange thought. What if Cryptic negotiated with Paramount and secured the rights on the JJ-verse? Might we see the JJPrise, Kelvin and the *snicker" Vengenance in the future?

Might be announcement worthy but not something personally excited on. Not a fan of the re-interpreted Connie and the Vengeance looked to be trying too hard to look nightmarish. But I thought the design of the Kelvin was very clever. Most single nacelle designs I had seen were just saucer with a nacelle above or below. Those that used a secondary hull always slung it under. So again, Kelvin was clever.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I can't resist...

Either a T-6 Connie is being added, or Shatner is Going to be Voicing Kirk in the game.

B)

Doubt itll be the shat we have that vic guy from star trek continues stating he's in sto now and he did the voice over for the trailer so I'm guessin he'd got shat's chair
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    feiqa wrote: »
    Suddendly I had a strange thought. What if Cryptic negotiated with Paramount and secured the rights on the JJ-verse? Might we see the JJPrise, Kelvin and the *snicker" Vengenance in the future?

Might be announcement worthy but not something personally excited on. Not a fan of the re-interpreted Connie and the Vengeance looked to be trying too hard to look nightmarish. But I thought the design of the Kelvin was very clever. Most single nacelle designs I had seen were just saucer with a nacelle above or below. Those that used a secondary hull always slung it under. So again, Kelvin was clever.

I personally like the JJ connie for the most part, and would love the ability to kitbash it with the original, but I highly doubt that ship will ever make its way into STO, since it's from an alternate reality that we will likely never be able to visit
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    If they do JJ Trek they may as well make a new game. I don't see it happening in STO ever. The legality of working out license agreements with two different companies would be a pain in the TRIBBLE. Besides JJ Verse isn't nearly fleshed out enough to build an MMORPG around yet. So maybe in a few years but definitely not now.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User

My German isn't perfect, but there's literally nothing in those posts about "the announcement" other than a single sentence stating no one knows what it is.

The rest of the posts are 1) descriptions of FedCon and its history - which I knew nothing about - and 2) schedule of what Cryptic will be doing. Sounds like there will be some giveaways, but only at the event itself.

But there's a link in the official German STO FedCon blog to a game website (browsergames.de) which clearly says "Welt Premiere" and "bislang die größte Ankündigung für Star Trek Online" which translates to "World Premiere" and "the biggest announcement about STO yet".

Why would they link to this website if what's written there wasn't true?
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Hype has very little bearing on reality.

It'll be interesting to see what they say, but there's not nearly enough known to forecast convincingly.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    So it can't be the "first" time.

smh
    Mirror's "reasoning" reminds me of Philip Jose Farmer's novella, "Riders of the Purple Wage". A sociologist is playing semantician while trying to derive the origin of a local "gang", the Young Radicals, and goes so far afield as to realize that "radical" sounds like "radicle", which is a name for a beet, and therefore the kids might be trying to proclaim a degree of lack of sophistication by claiming to be from a farm...

As for the announcement, everyone's right. They're announcing a new T-6 ship named USS Connie, that's shaped like Bill Shatner (it's got a worse turning radius than ESD itself, though.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    They got the rights to TOS music?? One can dream....
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    [quote="daveyny;12927367"]What could be something that would be a WORLD PREMIER?[/quote]

STO2?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    That would also be a big deal, fur sure.
  • Options
    blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    But there's a link in the official German STO FedCon blog to a game website (browsergames.de) which clearly says "Welt Premiere" and "bislang die größte Ankündigung für Star Trek Online" which translates to "World Premiere" and "the biggest announcement about STO yet".

Why would they link to this website if what's written there wasn't true?

I know, but I was just pointing out that being able to read German doesn't give you any advantage in finding out what "the announcement" is since there's no info there. Could be that every player is getting $1 million dropped into their bank accounts as a thank you as easily as the servers are being shut down and the company's bankrupt based on that.

Could also just be that you can now buy admiralty ships, and it's being hyped. Marketing speak rarely means anything anymore. Better to just wait and see.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    They got the rights to TOS music?? One can dream....

I'd have to cut my ears off if that's the case ... that voyager theme variation from delta rising was bad enough ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yeah, but seems a bit less likely, considering what Geko said about them rejecting the idea of making the TOS expansion its own game.

Unless he didn't know about these plans. :)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    You DO have the ability to turn of the in-game music :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Hmmm.... Germany is close enough to Finland... They are going to announce the upcomming P-Fleet expansion expansion, make your twinklers and lightballs ready for battle!!
  • Options
    lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    Yeah, but seems a bit less likely, considering what Geko said about them rejecting the idea of making the TOS expansion its own game.

Two words... Jon Snow :p
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Premiere is a french word for "First", usually means Début as well, which means it is the first performance or first time.

So a World first: the TOS expansion for star trek online if you twist the word enough. if you twist the meaning enough it will also be the worlds first time that star trek online has a TOS expansion.

in fact "première" means: never seen before, anywhere. something new for a special event. like for example a movie première for the Festival de cannes (movie festival).
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Hm ok it’s a TOS expansion but with Daniels already showing up I think the big announcement is Scott Bakula joining the cast as Archer.

I’d love that as he is my all-time favorite Captain with Enterprise being my second to favorite show.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Hm ok it’s a TOS expansion but with Daniels already showing up I think the big announcement is Scott Bakula joining the cast as Archer.

I’d love that as he is my all-time favorite Captain with Enterprise being my second to favorite show.

that would be cool. ENT is my favorite star trek show, and Bakula was great (+ I was a fan of Quantum Leap)
  • Options

that would be cool. ENT is my favorite star trek show, and Bakula was great (+ I was a fan of Quantum Leap)

Perhaps Jolene Blalock reprising her role as T'Pol... As a Vulcan, I can see her living on into the ToS era...
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2016

(+ I was a fan of Quantum Leap)

Me too. :)

tousseau wrote: »

Perhaps Jolene Blalock reprising her role as T'Pol... As a Vulcan, I can see living on into the ToS era...

Now THAT would be awsome beyond belive for STO. :o
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    lomax6996 wrote: »

Two words... Jon Snow :p
    His watch has ended, so he's now joining Starfleet?

Could be.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Maybe they r going to anounce all the captains will b doing vo this year for sto. (Shatner, Stewart, Brooks, Melgrew, Bakula, Pine)