test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO boredom

Been playing for 3 years now. Have 10 toons all lvl 60. Lately game has become boring. All I really do is DOFF assignments, admiralty and if I need DIL I go to the DBZ. But other than that there's nothing to do. Done all story missions, got al REPS to tier 5. Not much to really do other than login to refine DIL. Sure a new expansion to the game is coming out. But that's still a month or 2 away. Anyone else feel bored after a while?

Comments

• kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    Been around since beta and made two longer breaks so far.. but never out of boredom.
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Usually folks in your position either wind up leaving or choosing to play one of the other STO MMOs, instead. The most popular ones are the STO Economic MMO, STO PvP MMO, STO Social MMO, and STO DPS MMO.

Alternately, you could simply move to the forums and never actually login to the game again.
    /channel_join grind
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    @tacticalrook - Bravo! Well said! I read your post and lol'd. Could not have put it better than you did.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    I started playing in 2012, and have taken breaks now and then. I have piles of unplayed steam and console games so when I get tired with STO or there is just something I want to play more (like Fallout 4) I go away for awhile.

When I come back there are new stories, new ships, new gear, and new side games like Admiralty.

Nothing bad will happen to your characters if you ignore them for a week, a month or a year. The only exception is that it does make sense to log in enough to get all the event ships. Which is pretty easy now that Cryptic has made them account-wide unlocks.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    in my opinion ,you are 2 toons short. 3 Career paths 2 factions 2 subfactions. have you got all the rep gear ? items upgraded ? and what @tacticalrook said.
  • catsmeatcatsmeat Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    I get that feeling from time to time with my games. Usually a break from the game for a bit will either revitalize my fun with it or let me know it's time to move on.
    Oh, it must also be said: Can I Haz Ur Stuffs?
  • kostamojenxkostamojenx Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Ya take a break for awhile. Ive done that a few times, up to 6 mos at a time.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I take plenty of breaks. taking one now till the new expansion drops in a few months. Might pop in here and there but for the most part, just cruising.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • tostrek2012tostrek2012 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    I am on the same boat. Taking a very long break after the STO Iconian story. From time to time, I check out this forum.
  • brianduselbriandusel Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I go in cycles of three of four months. I'll play a character, craft my own history for them, etc... and then I'll get bored, take a couple months off, play something else and then come back. Although this AoY expansion has me really jazzed and ready to play again.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    I take breaks, usually during school. But I always come back eventually.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    In same boat, mainly due to the lack of a challenge since everything is so much Tac-DPS vaporize the map that if it isn't you doing it, it's your team. No one's online anymore either to play with or coordinate something interesting. Already looking forward to 2 other PvP games to be released as I've been having a lot of fun with the open beta, and then there's plenty of other great single player games that I've never really touched. Maybe by then STO will get a clue and change stuff around, if not, well good thing it's free to play.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »
    have you got all the rep gear ?

Don't really need that though. For instance if you get the Omega ground gear set, there's no need to get the MACO, or Delta Alliance or Terran rep or Iconian ground gear sets. Unless you want them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Some people get burned out for a while. I would recommend taking a short rest for a while. Come back and try it again. Keep on going when burned out. Will only make it worse and could lead to hate the game. Then your chances are less on coming back.

So far I hadn't got bored with the game. I really enjoy it. Even though I have a several characters to play with. Each one is at a different area of the game. So If I get tired of one area. I get on a different character and work on them. What helps me is, I look at it from the RPing view. So each character has their own story, and their own style of playing.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • supaj1m#6776 supaj1m Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    For me...

All leveled up
    All missions are complete
    All of my active ships ans boffs have yellow gear
    All Reputations are at Tier 5
    All R&D are at level 20
    All three admiralty factions are at level 10
    All doff assignment chains are done
    All commendations are at rank 4
    All unique doffs

Only thing left to do is complete accolades which i can't as the only ones remaining are all broke!

Accolade points: 17485

Oh well...at least Uncharted 4 comes out this week :smiley:
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Hey OP, funny! You exactly describe how I feel about STO when not playing teamed PvE maps (queues).

Glad they are around with a dozen players or so left playing them.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Been playing for 3 years now. Have 10 toons all lvl 60. Lately game has become boring. All I really do is DOFF assignments, admiralty and if I need DIL I go to the DBZ. But other than that there's nothing to do. Done all story missions, got al REPS to tier 5. Not much to really do other than login to refine DIL. Sure a new expansion to the game is coming out. But that's still a month or 2 away. Anyone else feel bored after a while?

Sure, but boredom is fleeting and since every other game on the market makes me feel the same way at some point, I rotate. Question, was this a real question or did you want suggestions on how to over come the boredom? Maybe you just wanted to sound cool?
    For me...

All leveled up
    All R&D are at level 20
    All unique doffs

Only thing left to do is complete accolades which i can't as the only ones remaining are all broke!

Now here is a guy trying to sound cool. Add several things that everyone has done by simple default playing to a list to make it look big. Make a excuse about accolades that blames the company, not the leet skills the player has, then top it off with a smilie at the end of a "Cool Game" name drop. (ignore the fact that the game mentioned will bore you well before the 3 years the op mentioned.) Sorry, I just have to laugh a bit, this list was funny and yet sad. I'd say "nice try", but I'd be lying.
    Hey OP, funny! You exactly describe how I feel about STO when not playing teamed PvE maps (queues).

Glad they are around with a dozen players or so left playing them.

Now this is how it's done. Subtle criticism of the game masked in a "Cool guy" vibe. Both of you could learn a bit from this guy. Some how he lives in such a small world and makes the best of it. I weep for those valiant few who some how seem cut off from the rest of the player base, crying out "I'm here to play!!!", yet answered with silence. Keep fighting little one!!!

gHF1ABR.jpg
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Three years for me also...and I only have two characters, one Klingon and one Federation. Only the Klingon is level 60. I'm not bored. Still enjoying the game. I just started another Klingon last night. The storyline content is very good. I'd forgotten how it pulls you in. My 60 is crafting first class gear for my new character. Lots to do.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2016

i'm in the same situation. I have already taken breaks during months or weeks. But each time, when I come back, well nothing has changed; stfs done in 2 minutes, the others are totally dead; + everything is random: the mats that you earn, the r&d system, the upgrade system, the doff system etc; this is really tiring. I would like to do something where i'm really involved, not only luck.

I would like to visit places when i can earn the mats that I need (without fights most of time), then doing my crafting like I want, without all these random TRIBBLE.

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    For me...

All leveled up
    All R&D are at level 20
    All unique doffs

Of the three bolded items:

1- What about your inactive boffs? Seems like you have some work ahead of you still.
    2- New rep coming soon.
    3- You just finished the Rom admiralty rep.

So it seems like you may have a 2 to 3 month window between that Rom Admiral grind and the new rep grind coming out. That should gives you time to epic gear your inactive BOFFs.

No need to thank me for fixing your boredom. Good luck!

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User

Welcome to the club!

I have been doing STO since launched in Beta. It has gotten more predictable since STO went F2P. It has been historically slower here except for summer/winter/expansion/new version event times in a yearly cycle.
    Lots of people come and go. Some left forever and not many return. Still, summer/winter event brings NEW people into the game. Traditionally, other times of the year have been boring and PVE's are dead too. Fleeters leave as well and even the big ones might see a lot of decline in membership during those times.
    Once in a while PWE might throw a free C store giveaway event, FEs or when in critical situations a new version or schedule game expansion. We have lost most of the CE/mirror events recurrence as it used to be in prior years.
    I guess they require more work to put them together. However, the lack of those recurrent events makes things exacerbated for those who want to do PvEs or social teamplay. Point being that is a "cycle" here...just wait until something else comes up. Summer is around the corner and hope the metrics do get turn around soon.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    edited May 2016
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Three years for me also...and I only have two characters, one Klingon and one Federation. Only the Klingon is level 60. I'm not bored. Still enjoying the game. I just started another Klingon last night. The storyline content is very good. I'd forgotten how it pulls you in. My 60 is crafting first class gear for my new character. Lots to do.

You should create a Romulan character sometime. The storyline is well done despite the whining about Towan.

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    the summer event is not bad, I like it. but you do the daily mission for the ships, then what? last year, I made all the possible grind for the bikinis etc. And that was fun, but when the event is ended, well the same routine.
    this game could be very interesting without all the random stuff; if we can do ourselves the crafting. Personally, this is always the reason, which gives me the urge to make a break. the crafting system and the upgrade system each time kill my patience, and I'm a very very very patient person in rl, but too many time and ressources and patience wasted by these 2 systems. + at lvl60, this game is a dead-end, there is nothing to do, except using all these gambling systems.

they should remove the mods and give more choices for the items than we can craft. personally, if tomorrow they remove them to improve the game, this will not be a problem even if I must loose my current crafted weapons. I would prefer to be able to craft (in a nonrandom way) dominion weapons, the locboxes weapons etc. Or they make all the mods equals in value

And why, we can craft the number of component that we need, if we have enough ressources???????
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    I play STO - multiple characters, on multiple career paths (and different ships do play through the content differently).

I play CO, Cryptic's flagship game (currently on a break from that, but by no means gone).

I play games on my old 360 (currently playing through Fallout: New Vegas for the first time).

I play games on my XBone (finishing up the tours on Rock Band 4, contemplating another run through Fallout 4 with a different playstyle).

If I get bored with one, I rotate around to another. Always something to do. Y'all who just play one game to death confuse me. How can you do that?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Usually I would say 'no, I'm not getting bored'. But since the Skill revamp most missions I've been in are finished so quickly that the game is getting boring.

Too many powerful players, enemies that cannot counter them. Yesterday I saw a Transformer getting killed with a generator still attached to it.

And yet there are still players who pretend all is fine and that power creep doesn't exist and that nerfs are still bad. If this insane power creep doesn't get fixed, I don't see much reason to keep playing the space part of the game. Guess I'll just walk around in battlezones a bit and avoid the queues.

Right after Delta Rising hit, many players were no longer able to play advanced content. Right now we're at the other extreme: players can barely play advanced content not because they're not powerful enough, but because everyone is too powerful.

I've mostly worked on uniforms, written some biographies for characters and their Boffs, renamed some, collected some space gear for the visuals. Playing the queued missions, except some ground ones, just isn't fun anymore.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Never bored, but I have gotten caught up in Real Life and have had to defer my STO playing on several occasions in the last six years.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif