test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Steel and Karma

Comments

• breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    kelettes wrote: »
    These guys that got sent into the past must be matrjoska puppets or something. They're so full of themselves! :smiley:

First that debucle with Hadrian, and now this. W/e his mission was, he should've just gone stealthy and done it, not play setting RICE on fire! Amateur...

Or, we're just too good! *raises cup* Pre-warp Terrans vs Na'kuhl, that's 2:0 :smile:

But we now know that Na'kuhl blood is yellow.

Good read :smile:

To be fair, lighting rice fields aflame could have been the mission. Humans of the period lacked replicator technology, so by impacting the availability of food you begin to impact the population that relies upon that food. Diminished food supplies can lead to conflict such as food riots or outright revolution, while famine can lead to the spread of disease as a population weakens. Both can lead to loss of genetic legacies that play a significant role in Earth and galactic history.

Need for resources can promote innovation and new discoveries. This can alter the capabilities of a culture, impacting later interactions with other cultures and the overall development of a given species. Having access to more substantial food supplies can be a major military advantage, while improved capabilities of whatever type can provide a culture something desirable to offer when interacting more peacefully with outsiders. Were the Japanese of that time to develop some new technology, it could distort subsequent events... and the Japanese played a pivotal role in a number of subsequent events, to say the least.

Even without innovation, a culture could resort instead to alliances and trade. This can alter which cultures are interacting at what time, which can in turn impact subsequent events significantly. New interactions could alter the actual chain-of-events directly, or lead to "re-allocating" reproductive opportunities and their resulting genetic legacies. Specific individuals can "never be born" not only through the loss of a genetic legacy, but by "someone else" inheriting that legacy.

Of course, the Human tendency to breed with anything capable of doing so (let's be honest, if a being is "half-Vulcan" or "half-Klingon"... that "half" is almost always Human) could affect a wide variety of historical figures. The multiverse would be a much different place without the likes of Spock or Miral Paris, for example.

Of course, that focuses entirely upon the genetics of sapient species, which overlooks the impact of an environment upon its people as a people affects its environment. What if the fields being burned possessed genetics that would later be used to breed rice with improved yield or disease resistance? This could lead to famine a couple centuries down the line, or even merely impose an inconvenience that draws humanity away from developing warp drive at just the right time to draw Vulcan attention.

There are so many variables to consider that temporal warfare itself is extremely dangerous. Remember that some of the worst events have had the greatest outcomes; the loss of Hobus and our present Alliance with the newly-formed Romulan Republic is merely one example. The narrow view of the Krenim and Na'Kuhl, aiming to eliminate something they deem undesirable, gives us an advantage in many ways; they miss the potential to introduce something desirable as a means of eliminating the ultimate positive outcome of an undesirable event.

The actions of the Tholian Assembly may have been taken as a less-than-subtle response to changes made by Na'Kuhl agents that did indeed save their star. Much like our own steps in testing the Annorax saved Romulus and Remus yet resulted in a far worse situation for the Quadrant and the Romulan people, the Na'Kuhl people may have suffered greatly from having managed to save their home as a result of some unintended consequence. Sadly, communication with Tholians tends to be difficult, and temporal dynamics is not the easiest subject to discuss at the best of times.
    Post edited by breadandcircuses on
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    My only problem with the blog is how its presented

1st Its portrayed as a momment by momment , sequence of sulus ancestor its through his eyes

2nd how the bloody hell is walker reading about it? how could he know what sulus ancestor was feeling what he was thinking well you get the point.

3rd from the picture i thought it was going to be a typical japanese style account of the event, as in how one would expect it to be a first person account of events , as in samurais would write a short story of the events from a first person narrative, it would also be more like an after action combat report.

also how the na'kihl was described was another miss, you have to be more descriptive of what it looks like,

"It had red eyes" red as what , what could the samurai use a comparison from his surrounding environment to visulaise what how the red eyes looked.

"Its face was white and twisted" again white as what twisted like what, after account stories were very descritpive using things the samurai would know, that would best describe what he was seeing.

Calling the na'kuhl an "Oni" was correct , its apperance and technology would seem otherworldy to someone not accustomed to it.

it was a good read but there are things that couldve made it better, like leaving walker the hell out of it, that part made no sense whatsoever and threw everything out of whack.

was what he reading an old after action account samurai story? was it a momment by momment account? and if so how could walker be reading whats going on in a mans mind thousands of years prior, he some temporal telepath?
  • xylylxylyl Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Domo arigato, Ryon and Cryptic! Another fun backstory. Keep 'em coming.

Jolan'tru & cheers... RRF Captain Cybyl

PS: what is the status of getting Vegemite to be included in the replicator menu? :smile:
    Thus spake Admiral Cybyl:  Alea iacta est. Ibis redibis,numquam per bello peribis. Ergo, per aspera ad astra!
  • alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Na'kuhl trying to delete Sulu from the timeline... mistakes were made.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Hmmm.... I wonder... could we be sent 2443ish years into the past, to streak across the sky?
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    we are going to have an entire mission of "where's Sulu?"
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Someone is doing an excellent job of keeping track of these story blogs over on the STO Wiki.....

http://sto.gamepedia.com/In-Universe_Blogs
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    I swear to god, if the next FE is called "Where's Sulu?"...
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • captpatrick01captpatrick01 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Heh... Alien Gun was no match for Glorious Nippon Steel.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    "a Na’kuhl operative was taken down by an ancestor of Hikaru Sulu’s family line"

Come on! The odds of that are as likely as getting the grand prize from a lock box! :D
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    They really must not have wanted Sulu to fly that Huey.......
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • christopher0184christopher0184 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'm not too surprised that Earth's past isn't safe; but if the Na'kuhl are messing up and creating legends and myths...well, TRIBBLE.
    Also, if the Na'kuhl were actually smart, they would have jumped into one of the various Gundam realities and brought a few of said Gundams with them before beginning to mess around with Japan.
    Sorry, that was just my inner Gundam fanboy coming out for a moment.
    Strike%2C_S.Rouge%2C_Freedom.png
    Primary ship: U.S.S. Lacus Clyne, Dyson Science Destroyer/U.S.S. Fausticorn, Multi-Mission Reconnaissance Explorer
    Secondary ship: U.S.S. Rainbow Dash, Odyssey Tactical Cruiser/I.S.S. Princess Cadance, Mirror Assault Cruiser
    Tertiary ship: I.S.S. Freedom Gundam, Mirror Deep Space Science Vessel
    My YouTube Channel
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    My favorite blog yet.
    questerius wrote: »
    Lightning flashed again, revealing the Oni’s face, gray and twisted, with blood-red eyes.

Check out our latest fiction piece by Ryon Levitt!

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

So THAT is where we find Zulu.

And if you battle Shaka, that's what happens To YOU!
    Love it! Does this mean we get to go back in time and kick some Na'Kuhl out of the past? I would love to be able to use a holo-emitter to alter my appearance for the time period. I think the Samurai would inquire about my Nausicaan Tegolar Sword, though :wink:

Better yet, give me my Katana.

Sadly though I doubt it. It's fine since clearly the Bushi of Japan are more than adequately equipped to handle a Na'khul.

As Riddick once said, "Did not know who he was TRIBBLE with!"
    megawolf0 wrote: »
    Well, seems Earths past is safe since the Na'kuhl are messing up and creating all those legends and myths of Earths past.

Did the Klingons and Orions never tell them that the further back into Earth's past you go the more vicious and bloodthirsty humans become?
    Ive got a feeling that

Oh my , were getting george takei in STO :)

That would be joyous.
    nimbull wrote: »
    Good story but I'd want to be playing this as a mission in the game more then reading it on a blog. :wink:

Imagine if the engine was flexible enough to let us take control of the samurai for a section...though I'd want to keep the sword mechanic.
    Love the artwork on this one. Nifty side-story too.

I was confused for a second seeing the old wood block print art style in the article thumbnail. Wonderful little surprise there, well done art team.
    I really <3 this, too - the story and the art.. excellent work!!! Guess I've to bring back my ships, that I named after famous onna-bugeisha (the U.S.S. Tomoe Gozen, Yamabuki Gozen, Hangaku Gozen and the Shizuka Gozen) :) ..

You named a ship after Tomoe Gozen? Your awesome cannot be calculated with modern instruments.
    These guys that got sent into the past must be matrjoska puppets or something. They're so full of themselves! :smiley:

First that debucle with Hadrian, and now this. W/e his mission was, he should've just gone stealthy and done it, not play setting RICE on fire! Amateur...

Or, we're just too good! *raises cup* Pre-warp Terrans vs Na'kuhl, that's 2:0 :smile:

To be fair, lighting rice fields aflame could have been the mission. Humans of the period lacked replicator technology, so by impacting the availability of food you begin to impact the population that relies upon that food. Diminished food supplies can lead to conflict such as food riots or outright revolution, while famine can lead to the spread of disease as a population weakens. Both can lead to loss of genetic legacies that play a significant role in Earth and galactic history.

Need for resources can promote innovation and new discoveries. This can alter the capabilities of a culture, impacting later interactions with other cultures and the overall development of a given species. Having access to more substantial food supplies can be a major military advantage, while improved capabilities of whatever type can provide a culture something desirble to offer when interacting more peacefully with outisiders. Were the Japanese of that time to develop some new technology, it could distort subsequent events... and the Japanese played a pivotal role in a number of subsequent events, to say the least.

Even without innovation, a culture could resort instead to alliances and trade. This can alter which cultures are interacting at what time, which can in turn impact subsequent events significantly. New interactions could alter the actual chain-of-events directly, or lead to "re-allocating" reproductive opportunities and their resulting genetic legacies. Specific individuals can "never be born" not only through the loss of a genetic legacy, but by "someone else" inheriting that legacy.

Of course, the Human tendency to breed with anything capable of doing so (let's be honest, if a being is "half-Vulcan" or "half-Klingon"... that "half" is almost always Human) could affect a wide variety of historical figures. The multiverse would be a much different place without the likes of Spock or Miral Paris, for example.

Of course, that focuses entirely upon the genetics of sapient species, which overlooks the impact of an environment upon its people as a people affects its environment. What if the fields being burned posessed genetics that would later be used to breed rice with improved yield or disease resistance? This could lead to famine a couple centuries down the line, or even merely impose an inconvenience that draws humanity away from developing warp drive at just the right time to draw Vulcan attention.

There are so many variables to consider that temporal warfare itself is extremely dangerous. Remember that some of the worst events have had the greatest outcomes; the loss of Hobus and our present Alliance with the newly-formed Romulan Republic is merely one example. The narrow view of the Krenim and Na'Kuhl, aiming to eliminate something they deem undesirable, gives us an advantage in many ways; they miss the potential to introduce something desirable as a means of eliminating the ultimate positive outcome of an undesirable event.

The actions of the Tholian Assembly may have been taken as a less-than-subtle response to changes made by Na'Kuhl agents that did indeed save their star. Much like our own steps in testing the Annorax saved Romulus and Remus yet resulted in a far worse situation for the Quadrant and the Romulan people, the Na'Kuhl people may have suffered greatly from having managed to save their home as a result of some unintended consequence. Sadly, communication with Tholians tends to be difficult, and temporal dynamics is not the easiest subject to discuss at the best of times.

Loving the deep dive here.

As for hybrids, there was the lovely Klingon young lady Ba'el that Worf fell in love with in Birthright, who was half Klingon half Romulan.
    My only problem with the blog is how its presented

1st Its portrayed as a momment by momment , sequence of sulus ancestor its through his eyes

2nd how the bloody hell is walker reading about it? how could he know what sulus ancestor was feeling what he was thinking well you get the point.

3rd from the picture i thought it was going to be a typical japanese style account of the event, as in how one would expect it to be a first person account of events , as in samurais would write a short story of the events from a first person narrative, it would also be more like an after action combat report.

also how the na'kihl was described was another miss, you have to be more descriptive of what it looks like,

"It had red eyes" red as what , what could the samurai use a comparison from his surrounding environment to visulaise what how the red eyes looked.

"Its face was white and twisted" again white as what twisted like what, after account stories were very descritpive using things the samurai would know, that would best describe what he was seeing.

Calling the na'kuhl an "Oni" was correct , its apperance and technology would seem otherworldy to someone not accustomed to it.

it was a good read but there are things that couldve made it better, like leaving walker the hell out of it, that part made no sense whatsoever and threw everything out of whack.

was what he reading an old after action account samurai story? was it a momment by momment account? and if so how could walker be reading whats going on in a mans mind thousands of years prior, he some temporal telepath?

I would imagine that once they have a general time and location, a temporal scan would yield something that could be fed into a holodeck (or other display technology) for observation.

tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    These stories are pretty much better to read than playing the game lol. I would find it fascinating though if we had similar stories based on heroes of the KDF and vulcan/romulan common ancestor heroes that end up as high ranking temporal agents for reasons or not of a given demise. Like Malor disguised as a Klingon but actually a Na'krul instead. Then for the romulans a paradox that occurs with the hidden agent sent to destroy the link that creates the romulan people but then failure on the part of that enemy agent is what bridges the separation of the vulcans and romulans actually creating the eventual Romulan Republic that being the reason they know they can't just wipe out the federation since they couldn't undo what they created being the creators of part of which they hate :)

Anyways just a thought for the game story anyways that the attempt to use time backfires and is key to the creation of the coalition :)
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    captaind3 wrote: »
    You named a ship after Tomoe Gozen?

Yup.. at first I named an Akira class after her (2014) and later the name went on to my JHSS (which I haven't used for a long time). Hence I'm thinking about either using my JHSS again or do another name-transfer to my current main ship considering how fitting that name is under the current circumstances.. folklore mentions she fought demons after all..
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • voiddweller#2714 voiddweller Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Imagine if the engine was flexible enough to let us take control of the samurai for a section...though I'd want to keep the sword mechanic.
    All you need is a new map with some new assets, and a new character models. Nothing to do with engine. Guess that new characters may have a custom melee attack animations as well.

Post edited by voiddweller#2714 on
  • acidpresleyacidpresley Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Lame story poorly written. Fix some ingame bugs instead!
  • acidpresleyacidpresley Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    No native writer, but never mind.

Simple solution, fire the bad writer, hire a bug fixer instead.

I don't need literary skills, getting my money otherwise ;)
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Nicely done, though I hope we end up reading a story of a nak'uhl succeeding sort of. IE he kills his target, but history said he was supposed to.
    Because too much fail on their part and they stop feeling like a credible threat.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    I'm sure the real kicker will be that the federation let the Nah'kul (how IS it written) star die to preserve its own history.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • artificial86artificial86 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Samurai armour, katana sword, and naginata polearm when?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I'm sure the real kicker will be that the federation let the Nah'kul (how IS it written) star die to preserve its own history.
    Pretty sure it's Na'kuhl.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Samurai armour, katana sword, and naginata polearm when?
    Well, polearms WILL need a new melee animations for sure, but this can be done easily.
    Isn't the Lirpa technically a Polearm already? Also, the Jem'Hadar already use polearms.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Isn't the Lirpa technically a Polearm already? Also, the Jem'Hadar already use a twig with a blade attached.

Sutherland has an awesome beard too.

Fixed for you @markhawkman
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User

Need for resources can promote innovation and new discoveries. This can alter the capabilities of a culture, impacting later interactions with other cultures and the overall development of a given species. Having access to more substantial food supplies can be a major military advantage, while improved capabilities of whatever type can provide a culture something desirble to offer when interacting more peacefully with outisiders. Were the Japanese of that time to develop some new technology, it could distort subsequent events... and the Japanese played a pivotal role in a number of subsequent events, to say the least.

Of course, that focuses entirely upon the genetics of sapient species, which overlooks the impact of an environment upon its people as a people affects its environment. What if the fields being burned posessed genetics that would later be used to breed rice with improved yield or disease resistance? This could lead to famine a couple centuries down the line, or even merely impose an inconvenience that draws humanity away from developing warp drive at just the right time to draw Vulcan attention.

As for hybrids, there was the lovely Klingon young lady Ba'el that Worf fell in love with in Birthright, who was half Klingon half Romulan.

Yeah, though I got so confuzzled by all the timey-wimey implications that I ruined it with typos... "outisiders", hehe. This is why we need playable Deltans.

As to other hybrid species... well, I did say "almost always". :wink:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Isn't the Lirpa technically a Polearm already? Also, the Jem'Hadar already use a twig with a blade attached.

Sutherland has an awesome beard too.
    Fixed for you @markhawkman
    Heh, that was a good laugh. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited May 2016
    Isn't the Lirpa technically a Polearm already? Also, the Jem'Hadar already use polearms.
    Lirpa is an axe with counterweight that also works like mace... Weird weapon. Polearms should have a thrust and wide slash attacks, like spears, though you won't want to slash with a spear. Probably. If you use lirpa animations for a spear (or polearm) it will feel like a staff with some unnecessary blade attachment.

• captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    All you need is a new map with some new assets, and a new character models. Nothing to do with engine. Guess that new characters may have a custom melee attack animations as well.

I guess you're right. It would have to be in the shooter mode, so we have a harder 3rd person perspective. And lots of new animation. How many different combinations can we get on three buttons? Combos and slashes.
    feiqa wrote: »
    Nicely done, though I hope we end up reading a story of a nak'uhl succeeding sort of. IE he kills his target, but history said he was supposed to.
    Because too much fail on their part and they stop feeling like a credible threat.

It's hard though since we already know Vosk got taken out by Archer in the past as the final piece that ended the Temporal Cold War and reset the timeline.
    Well considering this whole thing started with "this happened the way it was supposed to" that's already the status quo. A real kicker would be that the Na'khul had plotted with the Tholians to destroy the Na'khul star to give Vosk the impetus he needed to put his dreams of conquest into action.

Yeah, though I got so confuzzled by all the timey-wimey implications that I ruined it with typos... "outisiders", hehe. This is why we need playable Deltans.

As to other hybrid species... well, I did say "almost always". :wink:

I know how it is writing long posts like that so you don't have to explain it to me.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"